I've created a guide to the continuities of Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I've created a guide to the continuities of Dragon Ball

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm

ruler9871 wrote:I personally think it goes like this:

1. Jaco/DB Minus -> Original Manga -> DBS Manga

2. Bardock FOG -> Early DB Anime -> Z -> GT

3. Early DB Anime -> Kai -> DBS Anime

4. Xenoverse & Heroes (where everything is canon)

The DBS Broly film is canon to #1, 3 & 4.

Most of the old Z films don't connect to each other (and Dead Zone, World's Strongest & Bojack Unbound are the only ones that could fit into any of the main 3 canons) and together form at least 5 different continuities.
Dead Zone completely falls apart when you look at it closely. It completely alters just about everything regarding the Raditz scenario if it fit into canon, and The World's Strongest can't possibly fit anywhere. It can't fit at any point during the Saiyan saga and certainly nowhere afterwards.

Unless you meant to say Movie 5 I can't possibly imagine why that movie would be one of your choices.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:01 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I forgot Z movie 13 is one of the few (only?) films that can fit snuggly into the main series without any actual hiccups. More so than movie 1 and 3 for sure.
Dragon Ball Super contradicts Movie 13 with Bulma and the time machine issue.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:05 pm

Grimlock wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I forgot Z movie 13 is one of the few (only?) films that can fit snuggly into the main series without any actual hiccups. More so than movie 1 and 3 for sure.
Dragon Ball Super contradicts Movie 13 with Bulma and the time machine issue.
Dragon Ball Super came well after the Z anime and movies and pretty much treats anything that wasn’t in the manga as non-canon

I wouldn’t use a series that came out 20 years later as an explanation for why a movie that came out during the original series run doesn’t work is all I’m saying

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 pm

I don't think that's the case because Dragon Ball Super has:

• Vegeta with bangs.
• Gregory and other filler characters.
• Trunks gets Super Saiyan via Gohan's death.

Anyway, if you don't want to count that, then yeah, Movie 13 is the only one that doesn't have issues.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:36 pm

My version would be:

Manga/Toriyama continuity
Dragon Ball (manga), Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return!! (broad strokes), Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (inc. DB-), Dragon Ball Super (manga) ch. 1-4*, DBZ movie: Resurrection 'F', DBS ch. 5-42, DBS Movie: Broly, DBS ch.43+

'86 anime continuity
Dragon Ball (TV series), Dragon Ball Z (TV series + specials), DBZ movies 1-13 (in very broad strokes), Dragon Ball GT (inc. special)

DB movie continuity
Dragon Ball movies 1-3

DBZ movie continuity
Dragon Ball (anime) (implied), Dragon Ball Z movies 1-13, Dragon Ball Z series (broad strokes)

'09 anime continuity
Dragon Ball (manga) ch. 1-194 (implied), Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Super, DBS movie: Broly

*This is on the basis that Toriyama seems to have had more direct influence over the manga than Battle of Gods.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:42 pm

I've always wanted to try and figure out what the non-movies part of the Movie continuity would be like. Aka, what would the DB and Z animes have to look like in order to make the movies work? Unfortunately while I do have the films from Amazon (sneaky sneaky), they're Japanese audio only and I don't have any subtitles to go with 'em.

With the Android 13 movie, another easy explanation is that Trunks hung around after Cell's defeat, and there was a long gap between the gang departing from the Lookout and the scene where Trunks returns to his own time where Vegeta holds his hand up. There's even a fair reasoning for this: the events regarding the Androids and Cell took place over about a week or two, and Trunks may be waiting around so that his Time Machine can charge up. Or he's just spending time in the alternate future just because: he has a Time Machine after all so it doesn't matter WHEN he leaves, he'll still arrive in his own time at the set date.
LostTimeLord wrote:DB movie continuity
Dragon Ball movies 1-3

DBZ movie continuity
Dragon Ball (anime) (implied), Dragon Ball Z movies 1-13, Dragon Ball Z series (broad strokes)
Question: is there anything in the Z movies that make them non-canon with the DB film trio? I ask because I like to bundle the DB and DBZ movies together.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Question: is there anything in the Z movies that make them non-canon with the DB film trio? I ask because I like to bundle the DB and DBZ movies together.
The DB movies retell portions of the anime and forms their own linear narrative and take the place of the series.

The Z movies generally treat things that happen in the series as having happened but in broad strokes so they can ignore certain things.

You can jump from DB 1-3 without having to watch the series proper to fill in gaps.

Dead Zone assumes you watched the Piccolo Daimou and Piccolo jr saga to know who the hell Piccolo and Kami are and the reference to the World’s Martial arts tournament

World’s Strongest and Tree of Might assumes you watched the Saiyan Saga.

The 2 Cooler movies assumes you watched the Namek saga

Super Android 13 assumes you watched the Android saga

And so on and so fourth
KBABZ wrote:I

With the Android 13 movie, another easy explanation is that Trunks hung around after Cell's defeat, and there was a long gap between the gang departing from the Lookout and the scene where Trunks returns to his own time where Vegeta holds his hand up.
Goku is still alive. The movie, theoretically takes place sometime after Goku recovers from his heart virus but before he dies in the Cell Games

The fact that the events of the movie are triggered by 17 killing Gero kind of suggest it probably happens not long after that.

I kind of assume it takes place in an AU where Cell never arrives in the present and Piccolo successfully kills Androids 16-18 after fusing with Kami.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I wouldn’t use a series that came out 20 years later as an explanation for why a movie that came out during the original series run doesn’t work is all I’m saying
This really can't be emphasized enough honestly. In the grand scheme of things, Super and the whole revival material in general are still pretty stupidly recent: until 2013, the 1986 - 1997 anime run was something that had the book completely closed on it and was a fully "completed" work and remained so for almost 20 years.

Its a REALLY irritating quirk in a lot of corners of fandom right now when people act as if the jump from the original '86 - '97 run to Super all happened in a relatively short period of time and that Dragon Ball having any kind of post-Z/GT continuation was some sort of foregone conclusion: and I think a lot of it comes from much of Western fandom subconsciously regarding the original anime run in their minds as if it was a late 90s to mid 2000s series rather than a mid 80s to mid 90s series, due to the dub and when they themselves first heard of the series and first got into it.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 pm

No, it's nothing "quirk" though. It is a fact that Dragon Ball Super contradicts Movie 13 but it is up to the person whether or not to take into consideration any triviality such as this one. I brought that information, now if you won't consider it due to an out-universe issue, that's entirely another thing.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I wouldn’t use a series that came out 20 years later as an explanation for why a movie that came out during the original series run doesn’t work is all I’m saying
This really can't be emphasized enough honestly. In the grand scheme of things, Super and the whole revival material in general are still pretty stupidly recent: until 2013, the 1986 - 1997 anime run was something that had the book completely closed on it and was a fully "completed" work and remained so for almost 20 years.

Its a REALLY irritating quirk in a lot of corners of fandom right now when people act as if the jump from the original '86 - '97 run to Super all happened in a relatively short period of time and that Dragon Ball having any kind of post-Z/GT continuation was some sort of foregone conclusion: and I think a lot of it comes from much of Western fandom subconsciously regarding the original anime run in their minds as if it was a late 90s to mid 2000s series rather than a mid 80s to mid 90s series, due to the dub and when they themselves first heard of the series and first got into it.
I think it makes a difference in Japan there really wasn’t anything Dragon Ball related after GT until....2008?

Funi dub coming out a decade later and its inability to let the series go (in-house ultimate uncut redub comes to mind) there really hasn’t been any signficant gaps in the US where Dragon Ball was really “over” part of that as just when Funimation was running out of things to do with Z Toei releases new material with Kai and the new movies and Super.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 pm

Grimlock wrote:No, it's nothing "quirk" though. It is a fact that Dragon Ball Super contradicts Movie 13 but it is up to the person whether or not to take into consideration any triviality such as this one. I brought that information, now if you won't consider it due to an out-universe issue, that's entirely another thing.
Super may contradict movie 13 but Super also came way after Z. I would hardly put it in the same league as the movies being contradicted by events in Z happening at the time.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Funi dub coming out a decade later and its inability to let the series go (in-house ultimate uncut redub comes to mind) there really hasn’t been any signficant gaps in the US where Dragon Ball was really “over” part of that as just when Funimation was running out of things to do with Z Toei releases new material with Kai and the new movies and Super.
While all of this is true, I think calling Kai "new material" is a HUGE misnomer of a stretch. Nothing about Kai is really "new" in any way: its just Z reruns with the episode count hacked down, light censorship, and a new score for inconsistent stretches of it. Its always bothered me when people regard it as "new Dragon Ball content" when its clearly anything but.

Same goes with FUNimation endlessly rerelasing Z in various ways before that. At a certain point it becomes like Star Wars: Special Edition-syndrome: you're just finding new wrapping paper to give people the same thing over and over again every year.

The Jump Special and Battle of Gods are the first ACTUALLY new DB material since GT aired its last episode in late '97.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:51 pm

KBABZ wrote:I've always wanted to try and figure out what the non-movies part of the Movie continuity would be like. Aka, what would the DB and Z animes have to look like in order to make the movies work? Unfortunately while I do have the films from Amazon (sneaky sneaky), they're Japanese audio only and I don't have any subtitles to go with 'em.

With the Android 13 movie, another easy explanation is that Trunks hung around after Cell's defeat, and there was a long gap between the gang departing from the Lookout and the scene where Trunks returns to his own time where Vegeta holds his hand up. There's even a fair reasoning for this: the events regarding the Androids and Cell took place over about a week or two, and Trunks may be waiting around so that his Time Machine can charge up. Or he's just spending time in the alternate future just because: he has a Time Machine after all so it doesn't matter WHEN he leaves, he'll still arrive in his own time at the set date.
LostTimeLord wrote:DB movie continuity
Dragon Ball movies 1-3

DBZ movie continuity
There's one little Goku sized problem with your Movie 7 explanation. And then an additional Super Saiyan 2-level hole.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: (Z movies 1 and 3 are followed up on in the anime with Garlic Jr. and Hiya Dragon appearing,
The problem is those two movies, like all the other DBZ movies, simply do not fit.

Movie 1 ostensibly is suppose to take place before the start of the series, if it fit at all, but Roshi, Kurilin, and Bulma aren’t suppose to have seen Goku since the end of Dragon Ball or know about his son. There’s also the matter of the movie repeating some of the same plot beats of the Raditz arc. Gohan is kidnapped>Piccolo and Goku form a temporary alliance>Gohan reveals his hidden power to the shock of Goku

Movie 3 is even worse trying to fit. It has to take place after the Saiyajin saga because Goku knows the Genki Dama and Kaioken techniques but he’s not a Super Saiyajin yet but all the dead Z warriors are alive and there’s place for the movie to work.
I'd argue Z movie 1's fit is fine. Minor inconsistencies arise, but they're not much worse than what you'll find in a lot of filler from that time (God of planet Vegeta destroying their world, anyone?). Long as you're not watching it right between DB #153 and Z #1 (which would be a bad idea to do anyway; Z movie 1 is a really bad post-timeskip reintroduction), you won't really notice or care.

Z movie 3 is a fair case to make, and I only mentioned it because of Hiya Dragon, so... Sure, I'll concede that, and we can just imagine Hiya Dragon and Gohan became friends offscreen.
Kunzait_83 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I do like to imagine that Z movie 13 took place in the original anime timeline, for instance, but there's no references to it, no actual following-up from it, no ties to anything.
You mean aside from the Dragon Fist/Ryuken technique featuring pretty heavily in GT?
Ehh. A technique that was in one movie showing up in the series a few times really isn't that big, especially given it was never really given an introduction in the movie, it just sort of happens.

Still, it does still fit pretty okay into the timeline if you want to see it that way, and I like to think of it that way, but it's not explicitly there; see also Z movies 5 and 9, and arguably the Broly trilogy if you're fairly forgiving of minor inconsistencies.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:00 pm

Ultimately the problem with the movies is they're all written based on Toei's assumptions on the state of things after the current arc wraps up based on whatever was going on in the story at the time of production. That Movies 5, 9 and 13 fit at all is pure luck since they were made near or at the end of their concurrent story arcs and thus had way less room for error.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Ultimately the problem with the movies is they're all written based on Toei's assumptions on the state of things after the current arc wraps up based on whatever was going on in the story at the time of production. That Movies 5, 9 and 13 fit at all is pure luck since they were made near or at the end of their concurrent story arcs and thus had way less margin for error.
I mean, there was never any intent to have them explicitly fit in-"Canon" or even something as vague as matching the current state of the anime or manga at the time, just a general effort to have them fit the general status quo of the time in terms of character lineup and techniques used. Z movies 5, 9, and 13 just so happened to not contain the glaring errors many of them do, and happen to also be free of the minor inconsistencies we see in a bunch of them that bother so many people obsessed with their precious Dragon Ball "Canon" making sense... (Which it never has. 8-month gap between first and second Dragon Ball wishes anyone? Yamucha, Tenshinhan, and Kuririn never even trying to learn Kaioken? Vegeta never growing his tail back, and Trunks, Goten, and Bra never having them in the first place, even when we see Bra's birth? All the irreconcilable inconsistencies Super has created with the original Z ending?)

Ultimately, unless it has some big, glaring inconsistency in it, I say go ahead and imagine it's part of the story. If it improves your experience with the series, then go nuts; what's the downside?
Last edited by Robo4900 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote: I'd argue Z movie 1's fit is fine. Minor inconsistencies arise, but they're not much worse than what you'll find in a lot of filler from that time (God of planet Vegeta destroying their world, anyone?). Long as you're not watching it right between DB #153 and Z #1 (which would be a bad idea to do anyway
You can fit it much nicer between DB and Z than trying explain how movies 2-4 would even fit anywhere in the series but I still find it hard to reconcile that Goku isn’t suppose to have seen his friends since the 23rd World Tournament when Z started but that’s not the case in movie 1.

Also Goku shouldn’t be nearly as shocked to see Gohan’s powers in the fight with Raditz if movie 1 took place.

The movie ends up feeling more like a “What if Raditz never arrived on earth or hadn’t arrived yet” kind of thing

; Z movie 1 is a really bad post-timeskip reintroduction), you won't really notice or care.
L.
I would definitely wait until at least after the Raditz arc before watching Z movie 1. Watching it between episode 11 and 12 (which is where I think the movie was released in Japan) works as well as any place I guess

Return my Gohan/Dead Zone is probably my favorite Z film and I never really cared that it doesn’t fit. I still watch it often.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Robo4900 wrote: I'd argue Z movie 1's fit is fine. Minor inconsistencies arise, but they're not much worse than what you'll find in a lot of filler from that time (God of planet Vegeta destroying their world, anyone?). Long as you're not watching it right between DB #153 and Z #1 (which would be a bad idea to do anyway
You can fit it much nicer between DB and Z than trying explain how movies 2-4 would even fit anywhere in the series but I still find it hard to reconcile that Goku isn’t suppose to have seen his friends since the 23rd World Tournament when Z started but that’s not the case in movie 1.

Also Goku shouldn’t be nearly as shocked to see Gohan’s powers in the fight with Raditz if movie 1 took place.

The movie ends up feeling more like a “What if Raditz never arrived on earth or hadn’t arrived yet” kind of thing
Eh, IDK... I think a lot of the inconsistencies only really pop up if you're looking for them, or are watching/are intimately familiar with the early Saiyan arc. Slot that movie in before the Namek arc as a breather between storylines, or after the Namek arc as a flashback to set up the Garlic Jr. arc, and you'll never notice it; it'll feel like a perfectly natural part of the story.
MasenkoHA wrote:
; Z movie 1 is a really bad post-timeskip reintroduction), you won't really notice or care.
L.
I would definitely wait until at least after the Raditz arc before watching Z movie 1. Watching it between episode 11 and 12 (which is where I think the movie was released in Japan) works as well as any place I guess
I'd say put it anywhere you like from after Goku's death until the Garlic Jr. arc itself. If you're looking for a particular place to slot it, a break between arcs seems pretty natural a fit to me, and watching it right before the Garlic Jr. arc as a precursor to those events is cool too, but it might just work best as a "Watch this movie when you feel in the mood, though try to watch it in this timeframe" sort of case.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Ultimately the problem with the movies is they're all written based on Toei's assumptions on the state of things after the current arc wraps up based on whatever was going on in the story at the time of production. That Movies 5, 9 and 13 fit at all is pure luck since they were made near or at the end of their concurrent story arcs and thus had way less margin for error.
I mean, there was never any intent to have them explicitly fit in-"Canon" or even something as vague as matching the current state of the anime or manga at the time, just a general effort to have them fit the general status quo of the time in terms of character lineup and techniques used. Z movies 5, 9, and 13 just so happened to not contain the glaring errors many of them do, and happen to also be free of the minor inconsistencies we see in a bunch of them that bother so many people obsessed with their precious Dragon Ball "Canon" making sense... (Which it never has. 8-month gap between first and second Dragon Ball wishes anyone? Yamucha, Tenshinhan, and Kuririn never even trying to learn Kaioken? Vegeta never growing his tail back, and Trunks, Goten, and Bra never having them in the first place, even when we see Bra's birth? All the irreconcilable inconsistencies Super has created with the original Z ending?)

Ultimately, unless it has some big, glaring inconsistency in it, I say go ahead and imagine it's part of the story. If it improves your experience with the series, then go nuts; what's the downside?
We...agree? That's what I'm saying. They didn't go out of their way to make them fit, they just fit it into the general status quo. But since many of the movies make reference to events of the series as if they've already passed, it can be inferred that Toei intended for them to take place after the current arc was wrapped up, and then the story just didn't go how Toei thought.

Movie 2 seems to operate under the assumption that they go to Namek, defeat Vegeta, wish everybody back, and return to Earth smoothly. No Super Saiyans, lizard tyrants, or anything. There's a brief flashback to Piccolo's sacrifice, after all.
Movies 3 and 4 both make references to Frieza, so they likely assume that they defeated Frieza, wished everyone back, and head back to Earth with no SSJ transformations, and presumably Vegeta is defeated as well.
Movie 5 was released right as Goku and Frieza are wrapping up their fight, so pretty much all Toei had to assume was that Goku won and returned to Earth. Not much of a hurdle there :P
Movies 6 and 7 both assume that they defeat the Androids and that's the end of that.
Movie 8 assumes that Goku defeats Cell in the Games with no causalities or Gohan awakenings. Close, but no cigar.
Movie 9 actually came out 3 weeks after Gohan defeated Cell so Toei had no fucking excuse not to get it right :P
Fuck Movies 10 and 11. Not even worthy of my conjecture.
Movie 12 assumes Gotenks, Gohan, or both beat Super Buu and Goku and Vegeta just stay dead.
And then Movie 13 just assumes Goku takes care of business and all is well. Again, by that point all they had to guess was "Goku wins."
Cold World (Fanfic)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:21 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:

We...agree? That's what I'm saying. They didn't go out of their way to make them fit, they just fit it into the general status quo. But since many of the movies make reference to events of the series as if they've already passed, it can be inferred that Toei intended for them to take place after the current arc was wrapped up, and then the story just didn't go how Toei thought.

Movie 2 seems to operate under the assumption that they go to Namek, defeat Vegeta, wish everybody back, and return to Earth smoothly. No Super Saiyans, lizard tyrants, or anything. There's a brief flashback to Piccolo's sacrifice, after all.
Movies 3 and 4 both make references to Frieza, so they likely assume that they defeated Frieza, wished everyone back, and head back to Earth with no SSJ transformations, and presumably Vegeta is defeated as well.
Movie 5 was released right as Goku and Frieza are wrapping up their fight, so pretty much all Toei had to assume was that Goku won and returned to Earth. Not much of a hurdle there :P
Movies 6 and 7 both assume that they defeat the Androids and that's the end of that.
Movie 8 assumes that Goku defeats Cell in the Games with no causalities or Gohan awakenings. Close, but no cigar.
Movie 9 actually came out 3 weeks after Gohan defeated Cell so Toei had no fucking excuse not to get it right :P
Fuck Movies 10 and 11. Not even worthy of my conjecture.
Movie 12 assumes Gotenks, Gohan, or both beat Super Buu and Goku and Vegeta just stay dead.
And then Movie 13 just assumes Goku takes care of business and all is well. Again, by that point all they had to guess was "Goku wins."
No, I don't think there's really any assumption about how any plots have gone. It's all just "What characters are we doing? What techniques do they have?" and any references to past events are just whatever storylines they already know about. Z movie 2 operates under the knowledge they've got Goku, Piccolo, Gohan, Kuririn, etc. to work with, and Goku's still using the Kaioken technique as he was at the time of the movie's writing. Piccolo had sacrificed himself for Gohan, so that's worth referencing for the character stuff between Gohan and Piccolo, but there's no real thought going into "If that happened, then what happened next, and what about everything else that might have happened between that and now?"

I think that's the key difference in our ways of looking at it; I don't think Toei did think about it at all beyond which characters they're using and what techniques they have, while you think they did make some particular assumptions about the plotlines. Both are justifiable, but I personally take my view on it because really, I just don't think Toei really cared about trying to fit the movie plots in with the series, they just wanted it to use the marketable current elements with the storylines they were coming up with for the movies.