New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:27 am

That image might not be to scale though. If it is... thats pretty effin stupid.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:30 am

Yes, widescreen is THE major issue. But quite frankly, I'm not able to purchase the Dragonboxes just yet (probably because i'm only 14, have no job). Considering the low price, we're just going to have to ignore the widescreen aspect, no matter how frustrating it is sometimes. Hopefully the new English/Japanese audio track will help me forget about the major downfall of these releases.

Also, this 24 page book does sound cool, but does it cover the entire series or just the box set? Either way, 24 pages is kinda small. 39 episode summaries means probably half a page per summary. Then they have to squeeze images, charater descriptions and a timeline in there? Hopefully the book will be maybe 60 or 70 pages when its released.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:32 am

Sorry for the uber-short post, but...

:roll:

Honestly.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:36 am

fps_anth wrote:Also, this 24 page book does sound cool, but does it cover the entire series or just the box set? Either way, 24 pages is kinda small. 39 episode summaries means probably half a page per summary. Then they have to squeeze images, charater descriptions and a timeline in there? Hopefully the book will be maybe 60 or 70 pages when its released.
I'm pretty sure Funi can screw up the character profiles in 10 pages or so.
dragonballz.com wrote:Android #16
Created by the evil Genius Dr. Gero, Androids 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 are out to destroy our heroes on Earth. These Androids have amazing strength and enjoy devastation for its sake. The strong, silent type, Android 16 is an experimental model and is out to destroy whatever he sees.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:40 am

ROFLCOPTER at Android 16's profile! :lol:

I bet anyone that the length of the character profiles in this book are going to be two sentences in length for most characters.

Unless they add more pages!

Lobster_Rage155
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lobster_Rage155 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:43 am

desirecampbell wrote:
dragonballz.com wrote:Android #16
Created by the evil Genius Dr. Gero, Androids 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 are out to destroy our heroes on Earth. These Androids have amazing strength and enjoy devastation for its sake. The strong, silent type, Android 16 is an experimental model and is out to destroy whatever he sees.
Well, WHAT? You want people who are actually familiar with the material to write up these little bios? Jeez, why don't you just ask for bilingual DVDs while you're at it!

...But seriously, that's pretty bad.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:49 am

Eclipse wrote:If it's widescreen, then widescreen it is. It doesn't matter. Future releases (Like that Hyper Edition Corey mentioned :D) will probably fix this =P
The DBZ Brand Manager did ask if I wanted a job in marketing.

...no, really. I'm not kidding. FUNiRepBlue showed him my gag, and apparently asked her. I just live in Virginia, and can't relocate to Texas.

-Corey

P.S. - Again, they keep putting out all these positive things, and I can't help but think, "Damn, this would be a really badass release...if not for the @#$!ing aspect ratio screwup."

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:24 am

Rocketman wrote:
Gokuden553 wrote:Really? Is it any close to this image of what Goku's correct skin colour should be??

At least he's not orange.
You're right, but how close is Goku's skin colour compared to the Dragon Box version... this calls for another comparison.

Ok this time the screen shots compare the Funi-remaster to the Dragon Box images of Goku's skin colour and Goku and Vegeta staring off at each other... let's review.

Funi-remaster and Dragon Box

As you can see Goku's shirt has been brightened more than the Ultimate Uncut version showed, also his skin colour is very close to the Dragon Box version... though it seems that the sky can't be made any better possibly due to Funimations bad quality versions of the Saiyan saga.

Next an interesting observation I found, if you look at both sides of the Goku and Vegeta stare off scene, you can see that half a Goku's logo had been shown to the left in the funi remaster and also Vegeta's armour on the right side has been shown aswell.

As for Vegeta's skin colour it looks like it's been corrected aswell, though half of his chin is cut off aswell as the top bit of Goku's ear *ouch* ^^;

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:33 am

Also, this 24 page book does sound cool, but does it cover the entire series or just the box set? Either way, 24 pages is kinda small. 39 episode summaries means probably half a page per summary. Then they have to squeeze images, charater descriptions and a timeline in there? Hopefully the book will be maybe 60 or 70 pages when its released.
Eh, just for comparison, the Samurai 7 DVD releases also had little booklets, that were somewhere around the length of 24 pages, and was pretty good. And designs, interviews, and some cool stuff in there. Of course, they crammed the episode summaries onto one page (Considering there was only 3 =P)

But yeah, I doubt they'd spoil anything, so probably at least 4 episodes per summary. Maybe 5 if they're using a uber-cool small font :lol:
Well, WHAT? You want people who are actually familiar with the material to write up these little bios? Jeez, why don't you just ask for bilingual DVDs while you're at it!

...But seriously, that's pretty bad.
It's better than Dr. Gero's profile. Seriously.....that one was terrifying.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:16 am

fps_anth wrote: Also, this 24 page book does sound cool, but does it cover the entire series or just the box set? Either way, 24 pages is kinda small. 39 episode summaries means probably half a page per summary. Then they have to squeeze images, charater descriptions and a timeline in there? Hopefully the book will be maybe 60 or 70 pages when its released.
I'm figuring the "character descriptions" will cover most of the characters up to that portion of the series. Because, seriously, if they're doing a "saga" at a time, than each set will have specific character profiles for that part of the series.

For example, the Freeza arc will probably have Freeza (all forms), Zarbon, King Vegeta, Dodoria, SSJ Goku, Dende, etc... The Cell arc will have all of the Androids, Mr. Satan, and maybe the specific SSJ forms in there too.

This makes the most sense to me anyway. :D
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:44 am

Hi everyone. Well it's hard to come into this discussion so late in the game but I'll state my opinions.

Speaking even as a Dub fan here (I love Faulconer), having the option of listening to the Japanese Track with English Diolauge is an exciting opportunity. It's like getting to see DragonBall in a whole new perspective.

Now for the Widescreen issue, well I don't like the idea, losing picture does kind of irk me. However I will still buy this set, this set is dirt cheap, plus we're getting new footage on the sides. I'll live through the cropping. But IMO, seeing the fan reaction to this, I believe FUNi will release Future Season sets in 4:3.

Finally, I have a question that I would like to get answered. Excuse the Bold, I just wanted to make sure it got noticed. Now, I've seen the Color Comparison shots between the Old FUNi DBZ, Remastered FUNi, & DragonBox. I also relize that though the New FUNi is FAR different from the Old FUNi, it still has some key differences from the DragonBox. So I have 2 questions. First, does the New FUNi footage more-so resemble the ORIGINAL Japanese Footage? i.e. The JP Footage Pre-Remastered DragonBox.

Second, how do a lot of you fellow fans feel about the Remastered FUNi coloring, I know a lot of Purists have hated the saturation that FUNi has done, so how do you like this? Does it meet the Purist coloring approval?

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:21 am

Gokuden553 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Gokuden553 wrote:Really? Is it any close to this image of what Goku's correct skin colour should be??

At least he's not orange.
You're right, but how close is Goku's skin colour compared to the Dragon Box version... this calls for another comparison.

Ok this time the screen shots compare the Funi-remaster to the Dragon Box images of Goku's skin colour and Goku and Vegeta staring off at each other... let's review.

As you can see Goku's shirt has been brightened more than the Ultimate Uncut version showed, also his skin colour is very close to the Dragon Box version... though it seems that the sky can't be made any better possibly due to Funimations bad quality versions of the Saiyan saga.

Next an interesting observation I found, if you look at both sides of the Goku and Vegeta stare off scene, you can see that half a Goku's logo had been shown to the left in the funi remaster and also Vegeta's armour on the right side has been shown aswell.

As for Vegeta's skin colour it looks like it's been corrected aswell, though half of his chin is cut off aswell as the top bit of Goku's ear *ouch* ^^;
Gokuden, again, you make me weep. Big tears of eternal sadness.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:37 am

God damn!
That's a considerable chunk... I still love the quality ut the whole widescreen thing... You guys keep re-enforcing how bad it is, and I'm starting to actually get more and more disappointed every time you guys do a comparison! :(

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:20 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:That image might not be to scale though. If it is... thats pretty effin stupid.
It is to scale given Dragonbox footage. Grated, they are using a bit more on the outsides, so the cut won't be as bad (i.e. you'd get one or two more lines above most likely), but things like Vegeta's eyes will still be missing for the most part.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:26 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:
Gokuden553 wrote:
Rocketman wrote: At least he's not orange.

I'm not gonna make any acusements or anything...but didn't you use the Dragonbox RIPS, and not the dragonboxes themselves? Colors look a lot more red-ish than the boxes themselves, and some grain's gone...No?

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:35 pm

^ Hay that's my comparison you just posted, instead of putting it in a quote box :?

Anyways I never did understand why Goku's shirt is so bright in the Dragon Box masters, since when I played that episode on my DVD player his shirt colour made my eyes hurt a bit... since it became bright red on my T.V screen.

Though when I played it on my laptop on Power DVD his shirt colour doesen't become bright red, and instead just red.

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:09 pm

Gokuden553 wrote:*images snipped*
Could you please stop posting doctored images...it's not very helpful. Not only are the colours insanely bright, but the quality is rather poor. Look at the open sky in this image, it's a digital mess...

Gokuden553's image

Actual Dragon Box image

FUNi comparison

And just for the record, Pony Canyon didn't do any real "remastering" for the Dragon Box per-se. They just took the original photography and removed any damage and re-aligned the footage where necessary. Therefore, the colours aren't cranked up and the grain isn't digitally wiped clean like in Gokuden553's image. It's basically just the raw photography.
The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:19 pm

I even know exactly which bootleg group's encodes the images are being taken from.

C'mon, people. Have a little fucking respect for the show.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gokuden553
Banned

Post by Gokuden553 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:28 pm

So I was ripped off then?
Last edited by Gokuden553 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:10 pm

I'm pretty sure those screen caps are from episodes that a Spanish DB website has put up. The resolution and the colors are identical.