New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Post by Blitzen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:21 am

Just saw this post on AnimeonDVD.com courtesy of Lance Heiskell-
Major...major video download to check out Monday on DragonballZ.com will explain all this and the press release.

Not to put too much out there right now cause the video explains it SO much better...but how about 3 words to get you more curious for one more day...

Remastered

Box

Sets
Thread is on the first page of the Region 1 forum.

So that's done and sealed :).

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:48 am

AUGH, you friggin' bastard!! Nooooooo . . .
Li'l Lemmy was about to have wrote:

(An unnecessarily long, article-esque post explaining this exact same announcement that ended up taking so long to compose that Blitzen beat me to it with his simple, simple words.)

So yes. You win, because I had to friggin' stretch out what you put in a couple neat little blurbs into a whole big unnecessary thing.

But this isn't over! Now you're my Goku, and I'm a Vegeta. And I'll defeat you next time, Kakarot!

(Well, everyone? What do you think of Blitzen's announcement? It's going to be some rather short-lived speculation at this point, that's for sure!
Blitzen wrote:So that's done and sealed .
Ah, but wait! Do you think it's Dragon Box footage, or in-house remastering? Where's your opinion?
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:05 am

Hopefully it will be the Dragon Box remasters.

Also, it would be nice if it also had the Mexican dub.
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:15 am

I'm not holding my breath for the Dragon Box footage, but . . . it's not like I would turn it down if the rumors turned out to be true. This is your last chance to pray for what you want either way, because soon we will know exactly what's going on with the Season 1 set and beyond.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:29 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote: Ah, but wait! Do you think it's Dragon Box footage, or in-house remastering? Where's your opinion?
Whatever it is, the fact of the matter is that this is a good sign (on top of solicitations, rumours, hints, whatever else) that DBZ is finally getting a compotent release (none of this 3 eps per disc, released out of sync crap). Whether they 'remaster' it like they did with the old discs (which I prefer they didn't) or whether they use the Spanish release masters or Dragonbox masters is of little consequence to me ultimatly, but certian things would be prefered.

I mean, the Dragonbox masters wouldn't be cheap. It's not like GSM777's speculation that FUNi could simply 'ask' Toei for them. However, FUNimation is in a bit of money, and if something like Remastered Voltron can sell well, Remastered Dragon Ball Z sure as shit can.

As for the Mexican dub, I'd like them to put it on there so long as it doesn't compromise A/V quality (of both English and Japanese, which can remain 2.0/mono for all I care. I have 5.1, but it's an old cartoon and made for 80's TV, so it wouldn't exactly be appropriate for 5.1). All in all I don't mind. I was going to buy the R3HK discs, but I've got other priorities so maybe I'll reconsider till the first set comes out.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:37 am

We'll have to see the video once it's released on dragonballz.com to know for sure... But I fully agree, as much as I like the Mexican dub, If we're talking DragonBox masters, I would'nt want they Audio and Video quality reduced for the sake of adding that track.

I'm stoked! I can't wait to see the official press release.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:28 am

If Funimation gets these masters and then fucks around with the colours a little like in Spain then I'll be happy. And I'd say if they did get these masters that's highly likely anyway.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:25 pm

Though I'm not that big a fan of the Saiyajin Saga (except for the Vegeta/Goku fight, of course), I'll probably pick this up regardless of whather it's Toei remasters or FUNi's own, or whatever. I just think it's good that FUNi hopped onto the bandwagon that is season sets of "old" shows.

And yeah, I'm also hoping for "Fold-out-book" format.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:35 pm

There should be plenty of room if they drop the 5.1 English audio track or if the deem it necessary to have the 5.1 English audio track then there would be no need for a 2.0 English and replace with the Spanish 2.0 audio. Either way, this is what I hope for, the dragon box remasters and the Mexican dub. I have my set preordered since it was first "announced" so yeah.
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:40 pm

I can't wait. :D I've been looking forward to hearing what they're doing for awhile now...hopefully the sets will have a good chunk of episodes at a decent price like the earlier version suggested.

EDIT: If these sets do indeed have the DragonBox footage, does that mean we would also get the original japanese audio from the DragonBox sets as well?

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:13 pm

DaemonCorps wrote: And yeah, I'm also hoping for "Fold-out-book" format.
It's whats more commonly reffered to as a digipack, and I'd seriously hope they don't use it. It's okay on 2-disc sets and what not, but anything over that and well, theres chances of the glue coming undone or them getting damaged, and unlike ordinary cases, you can't actually replace the packaging if that happens because well, they're not easy things to get, make, or replace.
If Funimation gets these masters and then fucks around with the colours a little like in Spain then I'll be happy. And I'd say if they did get these masters that's highly likely anyway.
Okay, here's the thing- Where does it say that Spain got the Dragonbox footage? Where does it say they manipulated the colours? From what I've seen of FUNimations 'colour alteration' abilities re: Dragon Ball, it'd be pointless spending all of this money on what seems to be very expensive, professionally produced and laboured masters, and then putting cheap, shitty colour and sharpening filters on. Sure, as we've seen before FUNimation wants to make it look more 'modern', but for cryin' out loud, the show is ATLEAST 10 years old now to the more uneducated market, they don't need to reinvent the wheel anymore.
If these sets do indeed have the DragonBox footage, does that mean we would also get the original japanese audio from the DragonBox sets as well?
Yes. Seldom, if ever (infact, never, to be honest) has remastered video come without it's respective audio track for Anime.
There should be plenty of room if they drop the 5.1 English audio track or if the deem it necessary to have the 5.1 English audio track then there would be no need for a 2.0 English and replace with the Spanish 2.0 audio. Either way, this is what I hope for, the dragon box remasters and the Mexican dub. I have my set preordered since it was first "announced" so yeah.
The problem with having both 2.0 and 5.1 tracks is that companies, as far as I know (from knowing people who work, not nessecerally in FUNimation, but in other places), when making something that'd appeal to a wider range of people (DBZ, rather than say, Samurai 7) is that they get scared if it only says 5.1. See, people don't set their shitty DVD players up properly so the sound doesn't work, which means they'd get complaints. But more commonly, people assume that since it's 5.1, and they only have two speakers, it won't work on their TV so they chicken out. It's sort of the logic used when two seperate DVDs of movie are released in widescreen and fullscreen (assuming we're talking about current or older Hollywood movies which are shot at 2.35:1 or what not). Someone like that would get the Fullscreen version, because they wouldn't want one "with black bars coverin' the video like dem kerry voters".

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:32 pm

Has anyone considered the possibility of HD-DVD/Blu Ray releases? INCREDIBLY unlikely but nonetheless possible lmao.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:41 pm

b_boult wrote:Has anyone considered the possibility of HD-DVD/Blu Ray releases? INCREDIBLY unlikely but nonetheless possible lmao.
Yeah, highly unlikely since just about all of the anime companies have said that they're not doing anything with either "next-gen" format anytime soon...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:26 pm

Dragonbox footage would be nice, but we'll just have to wait and see. I don't really mind what the packaging looks like as long as they make it as thin as possible. If there's going to be 8 or so box sets, I don't want them taking up 3' on my shelf. Something like the latest Family Guy box set would be good; 3 slim DVD cases in a box.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:30 pm

majinboogc wrote:Hopefully it will be the Dragon Box remasters.
I doubt it, remember, this is Funi, the same cheap bastards who got Faulconer instead of the original BGM.

Grandmaster J
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Grandmaster J » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:50 pm

It won't be. I doubt the Japanese will never let FUNi have the remastered footage. Why you ask? Because they're just like that, the bastards.

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:52 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
I doubt it, remember, this is Funi, the same cheap bastards who got Faulconer instead of the original BGM.
The original score was terrible and you can try and be as japanese as you want but this fact will always remain, even Faulconer was immeasurably better.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:55 pm

Yeah I liked Faulconer's BGM. Nothing wrong wtih. The Japanese BGM wasn't exactly amazing.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:59 pm

I agree.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:20 pm

b_boult wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:
The original score was terrible and you can try and be as japanese as you want but this fact will always remain, even Faulconer was immeasurably better.
...liking the original BGM means one is trying to be japanese...?

Oh and opinions don't count as fact. :P

Anyways, I hope FUNi doesn't skimp out on the episode count per set. That's my biggest concern right now besides the price.