Vegeta and Bulma's relationship

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:06 am

Bulma shows some affection in the Buu saga after Vegeta kills the people at the tournament and after she finds out that he died against Buu. If we want to go into GT, she supports his plan to achieve SSJ4, which probably couldn't have happened if not for her. On Vegeta's part, I can only remember him mentioning Bulma when he died against Buu, proving that he has some kind of feelings for her. Also, he seemed quite pissed when Goku offered a picture of Bulma (or something like that) to Old Kaioshin. Of course, that could just be that he's selfish.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:09 am

Ozma15 wrote:I don't know HOW, though. Vegeta/Bulma makes no sense to me. I really think the only reason the pairing is so popular is because it results in Trunks.
It does make sense if you think about it. Vegeta's going through literally the training of his life, with rage toward Kakarrot (and subconsciously himself) while attempting to achieve what he believes is his birthright, the level of Super Saiyan. This training, reaching as high as 415x Gravity, is wearing on his physical and mental limitations. He damn-near kills himself during this training, the results of which show Bulma both furious at Vegeta for continuing and deeply concerned for his well-being. Bulma's attitude of being angry mirrors Vegeta's own in a way, they even yell at each other through a projector screen once. With Yamcha leaning away from Bulma with his own training and seeing how much she's looking after Vegeta, Bulma gets lonely and starts to feel sexual attraction to this ripped alien. Vegeta is so deep in his own training that he can't even maintain a straight-thinking (no pun intended) state of mind. Combined with his own rage, that builds up his sexual tension with this strange Earth woman who shows such an illogical compassion. Basically, their relationship at this stage was anything but love, it was sexual tension and (as Trunks puts it) the heat of a passionate moment.

If anyone here truly understands the logic behind sexual tension and built-up rage, then you can see Trunks' conception with open eyes as the one night stand that it most likely was. It makes perfect sense, such a fling can be seen in any afternoon soap you turn on during the weekdays or in the real world with some people with stressful jobs/lives. No rape, no (not just yet) true love, and certainly no motivation on Vegeta's part that the orgasm will break him through to SSJ. End of story.

Edit: I think they develop true love by the time of after the Cell Games (when Vegeta's no longer killing innocent paper-clip truck drivers :P ), as Bulma looks after him while he mopes around in the aftermath of Goku's death. They eventually fall in love after Vegeta sees Goku capable of returning to the living world during the battle with Bojack, he then starts his training again, thereby showing Bulma a spark of reforming and fighting spirit she could go for. They end up marrying, with their marriage being put to its true test when Vegeta's put under Majin control.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

kinoko
Beyond Newbie

Post by kinoko » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:17 am

TripleRach wrote:I remember reading an interview where Toriyama mentioned something about not explaining any of the romances in detail because he was sort of shy about it.
That first part about Toriyama being shy just struck me as all kinds of cute. ^^
If anyone was likely to initiate it, it would be Buruma. Personally, I'd guess that she got lonely and/or desperate after finally dumping Yamcha for good, and turned her rebound feelings into a fling with Vegeta. And like Super Sonic says, it probably didn't turn into a real relationship until after Vegeta calmed down after Gokuu's death at the Cell Game.
I think Bulma did "initiate" her relationship with/interest in Vegeta. I have a hard time imagining Vegeta out and trying something with Bulma, no matter how aggressive he is. Plus, the allure of the "bad boy" is very strong, after all. Hah. (But that's just the romantic talking?) ^^

But the pairing is really popular because of all that mystery surrounding it; no one expects it. ...Plus, it helps take Vegeta through his whole growing and changing arc/thing, which is pretty cool.

[EDIT] Ooooh, perfectly said, Conan the SSJ!!
The Resident Tenshinhan Fangirl.

Ozma15

Post by Ozma15 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:48 am

Well, that DOES make sense. XD Very nicely put!
[url=http://fanfiction.net/~kuwachan]FanFiction.Net Profile[/url] | [url=http://livejournal.com/~perpetual_poet]LiveJournal[/url]

"Persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot." --Mark Twain

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:54 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:
It does make sense if you think about it. Vegeta's going through literally the training of his life, with rage toward Kakarrot (and subconsciously himself) while attempting to achieve what he believes is his birthright, the level of Super Saiyan. This training, reaching as high as 415x Gravity, is wearing on his physical and mental limitations. He damn-near kills himself during this training, the results of which show Bulma both furious at Vegeta for continuing and deeply concerned for his well-being. Bulma's attitude of being angry mirrors Vegeta's own in a way, they even yell at each other through a projector screen once. With Yamcha leaning away from Bulma with his own training and seeing how much she's looking after Vegeta, Bulma gets lonely and starts to feel sexual attraction to this ripped alien. Vegeta is so deep in his own training that he can't even maintain a straight-thinking (no pun intended) state of mind. Combined with his own rage, that builds up his sexual tension with this strange Earth woman who shows such an illogical compassion. Basically, their relationship at this stage was anything but love, it was sexual tension and (as Trunks puts it) the heat of a passionate moment.

If anyone here truly understands the logic behind sexual tension and built-up rage, then you can see Trunks' conception with open eyes as the one night stand that it most likely was. It makes perfect sense, such a fling can be seen in any afternoon soap you turn on during the weekdays or in the real world with some people with stressful jobs/lives. No rape, no (not just yet) true love, and certainly no motivation on Vegeta's part that the orgasm will break him through to SSJ. End of story.

Edit: I think they develop true love by the time of after the Cell Games (when Vegeta's no longer killing innocent paper-clip truck drivers :P ), as Bulma looks after him while he mopes around in the aftermath of Goku's death. They eventually fall in love after Vegeta sees Goku capable of returning to the living world during the battle with Bojack, he then starts his training again, thereby showing Bulma a spark of reforming and fighting spirit she could go for. They end up marrying, with their marriage being put to its true test when Vegeta's put under Majin control.
Your explanation makes perfect sense and puts a new perspective on things. Hadn't thought of it that way. Good post.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:39 pm

Can`t believe my first post with my Wii`s gonna be about Vegeta and Bulma`s sex life, but here wii go:

I feel that Conan`s explanation is a really good one. Personally, I always thought they had clichéd hookup scenario of the both of them in a heated argument about something, probably Vegeta`s extreme training blowing up part of her yard or house or something, and after some very heated exchanges at some point they ended up sleeping together. Bulma noticed that she late, peed on the stick, and showed Vegeta. He then said it wasn't his, they went on Maurie and had the test, but he still said he wanted nothing to do with it and went back to his training.

Flash forward to the Cell Games, Vegeta sees his alternate future son killed and he realizes that he cares more than he really thought. Over the next seven years, his ties to Bulma and young strengthen.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:21 pm

The Truth:

Vegeta was horny. Bulma was horny. Bow chicka wow wow.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:25 pm

Rocketman wrote:The Truth:

Vegeta was horny. Bulma was horny. Bow chicka wow wow.
Yeah I always thought of it that way. Or she couldve done it to get back at Yamucha

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:27 pm

I always assumed they were fighting about Yamcha fooling around with other girls that and he was getting far to popular with the ladies as seen in the Dragonball filler where Yamcha got his own fan club cheering for him outside Capsule corp.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:53 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I always assumed they were fighting about Yamcha fooling around with other girls that and he was getting far to popular with the ladies as seen in the Dragonball filler where Yamcha got his own fan club cheering for him outside Capsule corp.
Based on Yamcha and Bulma's personality, I always assumed that it was BULMA who cheated on YAMCHA, and that Mirai Bulma lied to Mirai Trunks so that, what with his saving the world, he wouldn't have to have that on his mind as well.
Trunks & Goten forever

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:05 am

Thanos6 wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:I always assumed they were fighting about Yamcha fooling around with other girls that and he was getting far to popular with the ladies as seen in the Dragonball filler where Yamcha got his own fan club cheering for him outside Capsule corp.
Based on Yamcha and Bulma's personality, I always assumed that it was BULMA who cheated on YAMCHA, and that Mirai Bulma lied to Mirai Trunks so that, what with his saving the world, he wouldn't have to have that on his mind as well.
Well Trunks didn't exactly say "cheat", he indicated he was fooling around which I always took to mean Yamucha just was afraid to commit. For most females, that's fine when you're 19, but when you're around 30, as Buruma was during the Trunks Saga, it's just not an attractive quality. So Buruma simply went looking elsewhere.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Ozma15

Post by Ozma15 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:36 am

Whatever happened, Yamucha seemed to have dealt with it fine. He was a bit pouty while they were waiting for the Jinzouningen, but I think part of that was 'Dammit, Bulma, bad enough you come to these fights yourself, but to bring a baby?!' You know, 'That is not my son--if he were MY son, he'd be safe at home' or something. *shrugs* And at least in the anime, he ended up being the one to comfort/look after Bulma when Goku told everyone Vegeta was dead.

I kind of can't see Yamucha being unfaithful. Unwilling to commit, yes. He grew up in the desert, as a thief, doing basically whatever the heck he wanted. Settling down and doing what Bulma says might not have sounded very attractive. And he seems to continue going on 'training trips' througout Dragonball.

And I can see Bulma misconstruing some girl flirting with him while he blushes as him being interested in other women. But doesn't she show some interest in other men, as well? I think she has a brief thing for Jackie Chun and... maybe newly-adult Goku just before the 23rd Budoukai? I can't remember.
[url=http://fanfiction.net/~kuwachan]FanFiction.Net Profile[/url] | [url=http://livejournal.com/~perpetual_poet]LiveJournal[/url]

"Persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot." --Mark Twain

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:47 am

I think she has a brief thing for Jackie Chun and... maybe newly-adult Goku just before the 23rd Budoukai? I can't remember.
And one of the RR soliders, I believe. As well as Vegeta the first time she saw him, and Zarbon. She showed far more interest in other men than Yamcha ever showed in other women. The women just showed interest in him.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:24 am

Xyex wrote:
I think she has a brief thing for Jackie Chun and... maybe newly-adult Goku just before the 23rd Budoukai? I can't remember.
And one of the RR soliders, I believe. As well as Vegeta the first time she saw him, and Zarbon. She showed far more interest in other men than Yamcha ever showed in other women. The women just showed interest in him.
*nods* That's my reasoning for my theory.
Trunks & Goten forever

shannarafan
Beyond Newbie

Post by shannarafan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:43 am

Wha? Bulma didn't flirt with Vegeta the first time she saw him. She was terrified when he found her and Krillin on Namek.

As for the others, well, she said she always forgets herself around hot guys. I still never took her for a cheater, but I suppose that's just me being biased.

I never saw Yamcha as a cheater either though... he always seemed like he'd be too scared to screw around on her.
Ozma15 wrote:And I can see Bulma misconstruing some girl flirting with him while he blushes as him being interested in other women.
Yeeeah... the anime makes it pretty clear she's like that. Manga-wise, there's none of those scenes where he gets attention from girls and she gets pissy. (I think). Unflattering filler, oh my.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:37 pm

I agree with shannarafan's comments. It was nothing to do with either of them cheating. Why must people read so much romantic angst and drama into a shonen action series created by an author that is clearly miles away from anything like that in his plots and thinking? As I said, Yamucha was never a guy that could fully commit, Buruma was getting older and maturing and wanted much more in a life partner at that point. They simply drifted apart. End of story.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Re:

Post by Pickle_Jar » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:32 am

Godo wrote:No it doesn't as far as I know. Only in the Trunks Special (about Trunks in the future) he is described with a soft side I think.

But don't forget, he may have raped her. And she probably liked it, hence that there is no fuzz about it.

He is a prince, he owns everything, remember?

"Give me what I want woman!"
"What the?! VEGETA!!"
"You like it don't you!"
Ugh, Vegeta raping Bulma? Seriously? Vegeta is a super strong alien. Bulma would not survive being raped by him if he went at her with all he's got. Her organs would be mush.

Also, nobody LIKES being raped. Role playing in the bedroom where there is actual consent while they pretend it's rape? Fine. ACTUAL rape? Hell no. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, GTFO.

Women are not property.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Vegeta and Bulma's relationship

Post by Sailor Haumea » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:55 am

Imagine bumping up an eleven year old thread for this.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vegeta and Bulma's relationship

Post by SsjCookie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:45 am

At first it was just a lust thing on both sides, and after Trunks was born it gradually turned into love.