Vegeta and Bulma's relationship

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Vegeta and Bulma's relationship

Post by OutRun2 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:03 am

Sup dudes!

I'm not a super expert on DBZ's story and haven't read the manga, so I was wondering what you guys think about the way the anime portrays the relationship between Vegeta and Bulma? I mean, I thought it was just slightly dissapointing how we first see Bulma show a little attraction to him, then all of a sudden *BAM*....she has a kid by him.

I would've liked to see more of how the two characters actually interacted with each other during that 3 year period. I can't help but speculate Vegeta may have actually shown a....*gasp*.....soft side to himself, to allow Bulma to get that close to him. The guy is one wicked and stubborn SOB, and that's why I still can't get over the fact that he fathered Bulma's child. Makes you wonder what *REALLY* goes through his mind(when he's not thinking of beating Kakarot LOL).

Does the manga go further into detail surrounding the situation?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:42 am

No it doesn't as far as I know. Only in the Trunks Special (about Trunks in the future) he is described with a soft side I think.

But don't forget, he may have raped her. And she probably liked it, hence that there is no fuzz about it.

He is a prince, he owns everything, remember?

"Give me what I want woman!"
"What the?! VEGETA!!"
"You like it don't you!"

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:20 am

But don't forget, he may have raped her. And she probably liked it, hence that there is no fuzz about it.

He is a prince, he owns everything, remember?

"Give me what I want woman!"
"What the?! VEGETA!!"
"You like it don't you!"
Whoah dude... a little too far there don't ya think? :oops: But really in the Trunks special it pretty much shows Bulma showing she still thought of him as a strength obsessed asshole, BUT that he really did care for her, so I suppose Bulma figured out Vegeta's feelings sooner or later.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:13 am

Trunks himself hints that the relationship was fast and passionate. That's really all we get. Knowing the both of them, that makes perfect sense. The idea of Vegeta raping her is just ludicrous. This is DBZ we're talking about here, not Berserk. :? I think it just developed with her trying to help him and through both their stubborness and tenacity, they gained a grudging respect for one another that eventually developed into stronger feelings. However, nor do I think the relationship was ever soppy and sickingly romantic like so many stupid fanfics out there written by rabid fangirls.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:19 am

~Bulma and Vegeta's Pre-Androids Relationship, Abridged~

Vegeta: You suck.
Bulma: You suck more.

*Time passes*

Vegeta: ...Maybe you don't suck as much as I thought.
Bulma: I'll take that as a compliment.

*They get it on*

Trunks: o hi
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Salagir2

Post by Salagir2 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:20 am

All the Veggie & Bulma fans with their "That's the perfect couple!" or simply "Vegeta cared for her" make me laugh. Frankly.

One of the prime bastards in the universe is on Earth, with no Goku to protect it. He is certainly the strongest around. He used to be a prince. As was said, he own everything! He kills people he doesn't like (see Nappa and anyone he fights)
I've always thought, too, that well... Vegeta raped Bulma and she accepted it.

As you see in the cyborg Saga, he doesn't lift a finger on the imminent death of Bulma and baby-Trunks because of Gero's attack. He slighty begin to care about a grown-up version of Trunks. No really, Bulma was just some woman for him.
He stays with her for the house. They're really rich, remember?

Maybe, after years, he fell in love. Whatever.
Stupid things on DBZ - Dragon Ball Multiverse Webcomic
-what happened in dbz today?
-they fought some guy

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:20 am

Just trying to make another point of view :P.

No I don't really believe it went that way. Obviously there was love as they lived as a family after the Cell saga.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am

Rape, huh?
Yeah. Right.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:08 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:Rape, huh?
Yeah. Right.
You are so cool, man! I really like your style! You are like Goku in DBZ OMFGBBQ!

Anyways, instead of just neglecting, can you please explain why you don't think so :?:

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Godo wrote:instead of just neglecting, can you please explain why you don't think so :?:
You mean I actually have to?

OK, so I'll just get to the point: if you really think the young girl who appeared in the first episode of the series (and pretty much was its "heroine", at least for a while) turned out to be raped, then fell in love with her rapist, and all was well in the world, may I suggest therapy?
This is "Dragon Ball", for god's sake. Not the latest Miike movie.

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Trunks himself hints that the relationship was fast and passionate. That's really all we get. Knowing the both of them, that makes perfect sense. The idea of Vegeta raping her is just ludicrous. This is DBZ we're talking about here, not Berserk. :? I think it just developed with her trying to help him and through both their stubborness and tenacity, they gained a grudging respect for one another that eventually developed into stronger feelings. However, nor do I think the relationship was ever soppy and sickingly romantic like so many stupid fanfics out there written by rabid fangirls.
I agree with this theroy. I don't believe that Vegeta raped her and they both just found something within each other.
Godo wrote:Just trying to make another point of view :P.

No I don't really believe it went that way. Obviously there was love as they lived as a family after the Cell saga.
Also between the 3 year period, Vegeta did leave to train on another planet. Maybe they had some sort of argument which led them to hating each other again. After the Cell Saga, Vegeta and Bulma had feelings for one another. (This is just my theroy :D )
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Godo wrote:instead of just neglecting, can you please explain why you don't think so :?:
You mean I actually have to?

OK, so I'll just get to the point: if you really think the young girl who appeared in the first episode of the series (and pretty much was its "heroine", at least for a while) turned out to be raped, then fell in love with her rapist, and all was well in the world, may I suggest therapy?
This is "Dragon Ball", for god's sake. Not the latest Miike movie.
Godo wrote:No I don't really believe it went that way.
No therapy here.
What bugged me was that you didn't explain your own theory. You didn't contribute with anything. No matter how obvious it is for you. :wink:

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:17 pm

Godo wrote:What bugged me was that you didn't explain your own theory. You didn't contribute with anything.
Well, I gave my opinion on that "rape" thing.
I don't have any "theory" outside of what is said in the actual series. And I'm not interested in coming up with a romantic fanfic about the couple when I think Toriyama simply wanted to keep Vegeta around and have a new Saiyan character ("OK, so let's give Vegeta a son... whose womb is available?").

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:17 pm

Y'know what would have been hilarious?

A Vegeta/Blond Launch pairing.
Trunks & Goten forever

QuantumDestiny
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by QuantumDestiny » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:04 pm

Vegeta raping Bulma is almost as crazy as the idea that ChiChi raped Goku to concieve Gohan... (Yes some people actually believe this).

Somehow I always thought it might've been Bulma who came onto Vegeta. He seemed pretty out of his league when she started bossing him around. He probably never had to deal with women much before her o.o!

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:34 pm

Not sure if you'd call it rape, but I believe Chichi was probably doing all the "work" the first time she and Gokuu had sex, since Gokuu probably had no idea what was going on :P

"Now, Gokuu-sa, put this in here."
"Huh? Why should I do that? Will I get food?"
*Sigh* "Yes, doing this will get you food."

As for Vegeta and Bulma, that's what Fanfics are for :) (I should really start working on that again....I just moved to a new apartment so I haven't had time to work on the second chapter yet....) I don't believe it was either as brutal as Vegeta raping her, or as sickly sweet as many fangirls make it out to be:

Bulma: oh vegeta i luv u sooooo muhc!!!!!111
Vegeta: yeah i luv u 2 wil u b mymate?
Bulma: omg lets mkae bebies!1111!1
and they wer inluv and happy 4EVER!!!1!!!

Remember, this was a series aimed at young boys, so the romances are just kind of thrown out there and not really explored because the target audience didn't care about that type of thing.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:38 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Not sure if you'd call it rape, but I believe Chichi was probably doing all the "work" the first time she and Gokuu had sex, since Gokuu probably had no idea what was going on :P

"Now, Gokuu-sa, put this in here."
"Huh? Why should I do that? Will I get food?"
*Sigh* "Yes, doing this will get you food."
:lol: :lol: :lol: Probably. As for Vegeta and Bulma, I think of it as a fling that after the Cell arc turned into love.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:51 pm

QuantumDestiny wrote:He seemed pretty out of his league when she started bossing him around. He probably never had to deal with women much before her o.o!
And he thought Freeza was intimidating...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:53 pm

I remember reading an interview where Toriyama mentioned something about not explaining any of the romances in detail because he was sort of shy about it. Plus, yeah, it's a boys' series. 10 year old boys don't care about that sort of thing. Characters just hook up to create new fighters!

But as for Vegeta/Buruma, all the talk of Vegeta being the aggressor (not just in this thread) sounds like fangirl fantasy to me. He just seems so aloof and uninterested. If anyone was likely to initiate it, it would be Buruma. Personally, I'd guess that she got lonely and/or desperate after finally dumping Yamcha for good, and turned her rebound feelings into a fling with Vegeta. And like Super Sonic says, it probably didn't turn into a real relationship until after Vegeta calmed down after Gokuu's death at the Cell Game.
-Rachel

Ozma15

Post by Ozma15 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:55 pm

As far as Goku and Chichi are concerned, um... Goku's basic education comes from Kamesennin. Yeah. Don't make me elaborate beyond marriage =/= sex. I really think our ol' invincible master would explain sex and NOT mention marriage to the kids at some point.

If nothing else, I doubt Kuririn, Oolong and Yamucha would abandon their friend to marriage unprepared. And hell, 19 year old kid. I doubt he complained much.

As for Vegeta and Bulma... one night stand, good timing, right out of left field. I don't think Vegeta gave a damn about Trunks, let alone Bulma, until the Cell Games. I don't know HOW, though. Vegeta/Bulma makes no sense to me. I really think the only reason the pairing is so popular is because it results in Trunks.

I mean, the other three pairings had some kind of rationality or reason behind it. Gohan and Videl got their little high school/tournament saga, plus some movie time, Goku and ChiChi had a couple short adventures together, and Kuririn and 18 had the kiss, the remote, and the wish.

I'm eighty kinds of biased, though. I'm not too fond of either Vegeta or Bulma.
[url=http://fanfiction.net/~kuwachan]FanFiction.Net Profile[/url] | [url=http://livejournal.com/~perpetual_poet]LiveJournal[/url]

"Persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot." --Mark Twain