What do you like/dislike about the Season box sets?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:45 pm

I knew it. This thread has de-evolved into yet another "Season sets vs. Dragonbox vs. FUNi singles" DVD arguement thread...

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:59 pm

If you're talking about screen capture programs for the computer, here ya' go. If you mean something for your television, a digital camera would be your best bet, I assume. I've never really tried it.

bilis:
You don't have to read/post if you don't like the conversation, there are other threads.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:00 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:[Then in that same vein, it shouldn't have been necessary for Funi to crop it in the first place.
Also, it's not even just about standards for some people here. It's about the disrespect Funi showed to fans by assuming we are all stupid, naive morons who wouldn't notice and/or care. I'm not giving money to a product that was falsely advertised. It's the principle of the thing.
Exactly.

jjgp1112, you do realize that during the press conference announcing this set, the Funi rep said, and I quote, "there's a nine-year-old born every minute". If you didn't catch it right away, this is a direct allusion to P T Barnum's famous quote "there's a sucker born every minute". They actually are calling everyone who buys the set an idiot.

I don't care about what you buy (Hell, I'm pro-filesharing), but I do care about the "why". If you're buying it thinking the picture's not terrible, or that the "remastering" did anything except ruin the image, or if you think that the cropping isn't obscuring the picture - then you're making purchasing decisions based on faulty information. That's bad.

If you really like the widescreen, or love the oversaturated colours, or want the inaccurate poorly acted dub, then that's fine. You're not a bad fan, you just have different tastes than the majority do. I bought the sets because I wanted the translated scripts. The video is utter shit but 30 bucks for 40 translated scripts is awesome. Buy what you want, but know the truth: the video is shit, and Funi thinks we're all morons.

But, hey, you're saying you've actually looked at the season sets and they look better. But you can't actually take any screenshots to prove it? If only there was someone here who had the boxset and could make lossless png screenshots.

Oh snap!

Give me episode numbers and times (as precise as possible) and I'll grab 'em.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:12 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:I knew it. This thread has de-evolved into yet another "Season sets vs. Dragonbox vs. FUNi singles" DVD arguement thread...
Wasn't it bound to do so from the beginning?

What do you like about the set?
Answer: The price

What do you dislike?
Answer: Its not DragonBox.

That said, the issues the thread has turned into have been thoroughly discuss in other threads (wasn't it a record 96 pages or something?)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:19 pm

the English dub does nothing to fix the fact that it's still a ridiculous, badly written script,
I hate to break it to you dude, but the original Japanese script is pretty ridiculous to. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but there is plenty stupid dialogue in DBZ no matter what you do with it.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:31 pm

balrog wrote:I hate to break it to you dude, but the original Japanese script is pretty ridiculous to. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but there is plenty stupid dialogue in DBZ no matter what you do with it.
While this certainly may be true, neither one is like reading Tolkien. However, phrases like "done like dinner" and "pop goes the weasel" among other things are considerably worse than anything I've ever seen in the Japanese version (we are assuming we're looking at Simmon's translations and not the old Anime Labs or whoever).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:49 pm

Well of course there's dumb dialogue in the Japanese version. If Goku's hick talk didn't clue you in, then I feel sorry for you. The dub went all Saturday morning cartoon-ish, which is still pretty dumb, & IMHO worse.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:14 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Give me episode numbers and times (as precise as possible) and I'll grab 'em.
Here are a couple of screen shots that I took. I actually have more, but as long as it took me to capture them, it takes me twice that to upload them. Damn Cox, high speed my arse! :evil:

Anyway, all pictures are from episode 25, the first three are from Head Cha La, the three after that are from the episode re-cap. More are to come.
Episode: 25. ¡Ten Shin Han grita! Éste es mi último Kikoho. (Ten Shin Han Yells! This is my last Kikoho.)
Volume 4 (Disc 7)

All pictures taken with DGIndex, so sorry for the interlacing. The reason I didn't use PowerDVD is because it doesn't have a frame-by-frame feature, and that really sucks.

All times are approximate, and I truly don't think that FUNi has the episode re-caps, ah well.

001-
9 Seconds
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/526/dbzspain001gn2.png

002-
19 Seconds
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/411/ ... 002tj5.png

003-
26 Seconds
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7997 ... 003ma5.png

004-
2:14
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/616/ ... 004jw8.png

005-
2:33
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6149 ... 005dg9.png

006-
2:42
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8740 ... 006ys2.png

Posted the links instead of the pics to save on bandwith.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:50 pm

balrog wrote: That was about a month ago lol. I don't remember who posts what, especially from that long ago.

I own both season box sets, and have seen every episode on both of them. I noticed a few little ugly shots here and there, but nothing that actually bothered me. Besides those split second little things, I didn't notice anything wrong about it. I can't tell what you're seeing, sorry.

Again, find a non-slanderous comparison and post it.
A "non-slanderous" comparison? Don't make me laugh. The poor treatment these sets have received deserve nothing but slander. The fact that at the very same instant, one set has an intact frame and the other set one that is more or less destroyed, is ridiculous. FUNi made the conscious choice to put the film through this process, creating these artifacts when it simply wasn't necessary.

Though I'm sure if there was a split-second of a man's penis in-between the footage, you wouldn't mind that either, right? I guess it's appropriate to scribble all over select frames since it's not that noticeable to the human eye. What if FUNi wrote "Fuck balrog" on Vegeta's forehead for a recurring split second over the course of an entire arc? Would you cough up the cash for that set?

Your argument exudes ignorance.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:57 pm

SatoSky wrote:All pictures taken with DGIndex, so sorry for the interlacing.
Dragon Box vids are progressively encoded (well, about 98% of it). I'm assuming the Spanish version is the same...

So, in DGIndex, just tell it to "ignore pulldown flags" in the field operation to get the progressive frame as opposed to looking at the interlaced version.
ect5150

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:09 pm

But, hey, you're saying you've actually looked at the season sets and they look better. But you can't actually take any screenshots to prove it? If only there was someone here who had the boxset and could make lossless png screenshots.
You look like the serial killer from Degrassi in that picture.

I knew this topic was a bad idea, its just turning into the usuall "Season 1 VS DragonBox" argument. I swear, there should be a sticky thread about this shit. :?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:You look like the serial killer from Degrassi in that picture.
It's my pouty face. I think it's sexy.
SatoSky wrote:Episode: 25. ¡Ten Shin Han grita! Éste es mi último Kikoho. (Ten Shin Han Yells! This is my last Kikoho.)
Volume 4 (Disc 7)

001- 9 Seconds
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/526/dbzspain001gn2.png

002- 19 Seconds
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/411/ ... 002tj5.png

003- 26 Seconds
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7997 ... 003ma5.png

004- 2:14
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/616/ ... 004jw8.png

005- 2:33
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6149 ... 005dg9.png

006- 2:42
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8740 ... 006ys2.png
Episode: 25. Sacrifice
Volume 1 (Disc 4)

001- 9 Seconds
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5948/pdvd051uh9.png

002- 19 Seconds
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5738/pdvd053jw9.png

003- 26 Seconds
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5973/pdvd054ep2.png

004- 2:14
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/9875/pdvd055wb1.png

005- 2:33
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1716/pdvd056uv5.png

006- 2:42
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2899/pdvd057xh3.png

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:15 am

As someone who can't afford the Dragonboxes (if I found one that is), these terrible Funi sets seem to be my only option.

I own the first Ultimate Uncut box set, and apart from the saturation and how grainy the film was (also the price was ridiculous) I thought they were decent releases.

I'm aware of the "remastering" on these season sets, not to mention the cropping issue along with the false advertising, I just don't see any other choice, I'm not interested in edited dub releases.
I'm at the end of my rope and I'm considering just giving in and dishing out $60 for this set (I live in Australia, hooray for our crappy economy and overseas pricing not to mention madman's profit margins! :( )

I guess my question is, as a fan of the original Japanese version am I going to regret this purchase?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:20 am

You know, I would REALLY just go for a set that had both any day. The widescreen in certian scenes, from what I've seen, is a significant gain - and in others, not.
I mean, I'd like to have all the footage from the standerd 4:3 TV and the widescreen footage on one video track - plus the stuff that's missing above the additional widescreen footage. That'd be awesome, even if it was streteched to widescreen.

EDIT: in response to mr. awesome (if that is your real name), I'd just go for the sets. Since you're a Japanese version fan, the Japanese audio track should keep you happy; and if I read right in previous threads, most of Madman's releases are uncut dub-only.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:51 am

bkev wrote: in response to mr. awesome (if that is your real name), I'd just go for the sets. Since you're a Japanese version fan, the Japanese audio track should keep you happy; and if I read right in previous threads, most of Madman's releases are uncut dub-only.
Thanks, I might go pick it up on monday.

As for Madman's releases, all the Z stuff has been pretty poor, only the Dragonball releases have been bilingual from beginning to end.

Also, I assure you I was born with this name and I will die with it.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:56 am

balrog wrote:
the English dub does nothing to fix the fact that it's still a ridiculous, badly written script,
I hate to break it to you dude, but the original Japanese script is pretty ridiculous to. Don't get me wrong, I love the series, but there is plenty stupid dialogue in DBZ no matter what you do with it.
I don't deny that DBZ is more or less for kids, and that at times kids do like some stupid shit. But this was taking liberties with stupid shit to add more stupid shit for the sake of having stupid shit, and rewriting aspects of the characters themselves.

Oh and yeah, Freudian slip. $:# foreva bitchez

uhoh

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 am

Captain Awesome wrote: I'm at the end of my rope and I'm considering just giving in and dishing out $60 for this set (I live in Australia, hooray for our crappy economy and overseas pricing not to mention madman's profit margins! :( )

I guess my question is, as a fan of the original Japanese version am I going to regret this purchase?
Actually, Madman is releasing the DBZ Season sets in Australia already, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it at Madman's site.

As a fellow fan of the Japanese version, and a sympathizer of DBZ fans living in Australia, I'd say your best bet pretty much would be the DBZ Season Sets. I mean, DB & DBGT both got uncut/bilingual releases over there. But the only bilingual releases of DBZ that Madman put out were the later Buu Saga discs.

You could go for the Dragonbox releases, but the only selling point of those is really just the video quality and (for some people) the cover artwork. You could also try to import the R1 FUNi single discs of DBZ, but they're going OOP and are becoming harder to find (and more expensive.)

As several people on this board have already mentioned, you're not a bad fan for buying these sets, especially since this the only way many of these episodes will be available uncut/bilingual outside of Japan. It's just that the "remastering" is pure fictitiousness, and that's what's got people in a tizzy.

I, myself, have bought the 1st 2 sets, and I plan on getting the future sets (used, thank God), only because I want the series completed in Japanese in some form. I guess if you want to see the show fully in Japanese, then this is a decent deal, just know that you're not getting the full visuals that the Japanese got.

Wow, it's 3am. :lol:

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:53 am

theoriginalbilis wrote: Actually, Madman is releasing the DBZ Season sets in Australia already, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it at Madman's site.

As a fellow fan of the Japanese version, and a sympathizer of DBZ fans living in Australia, I'd say your best bet pretty much would be the DBZ Season Sets. I mean, DB & DBGT both got uncut/bilingual releases over there. But the only bilingual releases of DBZ that Madman put out were the later Buu Saga discs.

You could go for the Dragonbox releases, but the only selling point of those is really just the video quality and (for some people) the cover artwork. You could also try to import the R1 FUNi single discs of DBZ, but they're going OOP and are becoming harder to find (and more expensive.)

As several people on this board have already mentioned, you're not a bad fan for buying these sets, especially since this the only way many of these episodes will be available uncut/bilingual outside of Japan. It's just that the "remastering" is pure fictitiousness, and that's what's got people in a tizzy.

I, myself, have bought the 1st 2 sets, and I plan on getting the future sets (used, thank God), only because I want the series completed in Japanese in some form. I guess if you want to see the show fully in Japanese, then this is a decent deal, just know that you're not getting the full visuals that the Japanese got.

Wow, it's 3am. :lol:

- Bilis
Yeah, my local comic book/dvd store has had them in for a while, I just expected them to be a little cheaper, considering the quality of the product (You yanks get them for like 30 bucks!)

Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens, I'll either blow some money on Dbz or Beast Wars :p

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:18 am

To be fair on Madman, the reason people in the US get them for so cheap is because a lot of places sell far below the MSRP, whereas JBhifi and other places in Aus only sell lower to a certian degree. it's moreso our market just being way smaller (and less wasteful) than the US.

Besides which, $10 AUD for like 6-7 eps, issues aside, is a good bargin compared to just about every other Anime release in Australia (or there abouts, anyway).

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:52 am

It's disappointing to see that Spain's releases are interlaced. I expected more since they came from progressive DragonBox footage...