Season-to-D.Box Comparison Shots

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:16 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I like this one, you can see how much is loss AND the visual difference...
*Comparison shot*
It's also one of the best-looking moments on the season-sets (In that the colors actually look good, and the cropping is unnoticable), so it's kinda misleading.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:36 pm

BrollysKin wrote:Granted the widescreen sucks and in many cases they did an extremely poor job with detail, but I don't care for the dragonbox look at all. I still see considerable grain and I don't care for the dark coloring. That may be how it was originally, but it still doesn't do good for my eyes.

But regardless it's still the lesser of 2 evils.
I don't want to seem like I'm jabbing at your statement, but have you had a Dragonbox DVD in your possession and watched it? I'm just curious, because I haven't and I thought the screen shots were pretty beautiful.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:45 pm

I figured someone would be upset by my opinion. While not ever having seen them in person, from every shot I have ever seen, I don't view them as UbeR PURRfect! They look grainy and dark.

Granted FUNI looks lighter in color, they lose at everything else in general which is why I've deemed the Dragonbox as the lesser of 2 evils.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:46 pm

BrollysKin wrote:I figured someone would be upset by my opinion. While not ever having seen them in person, from every shot I have ever seen, I don't view them as UbeR PURRfect! They look grainy and dark.

Granted FUNI looks lighter in color, they lose at everything else in general which is why I've deemed the Dragonbox as the lesser of 2 evils.
I'm not upset, it's just that the Dragonbox isn't a re-master, but a clean-up of the original, so to me it's like saying that the way it was made is flawed. I'm not saying it isn't...but if it's as close to the original intent as possible, it's good...er...?

I'm no good at these types of discussions.

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:48 pm

Yeah, w00t! The thread of generic single-minded thought discussion! There definitely aren't enought of these.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:49 pm

balrog wrote:Yeah, w00t! The thread of generic single-minded thought discussion! There definitely aren't enought of these.
Yeah! W00T! A post made to derail an intelligent thread for the sake of trolling! There really needs to be more of these.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Duo wrote:
balrog wrote:Yeah, w00t! The thread of generic single-minded thought discussion! There definitely aren't enought of these.
Yeah! W00T! A post made to derail an intelligent thread for the sake of trolling! There really needs to be more of these.
Thanks, I guess that's the closest anyones ever been to backing me up. :lol:

I understand your point and I agree, I didn't mean to be rude. I just don't think it's nessecarily as great as everyone makes it out to be. But I do agree they look better than FUNI.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:44 pm

Pictures don't really do the Dragon Boxes justice. You have to see it in motion to really appreciate their superiority. :|

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:27 pm

BrollysKin wrote:I understand your point and I agree, I didn't mean to be rude. I just don't think it's nessecarily as great as everyone makes it out to be. But I do agree they look better than FUNI.
I agree. I saw a picture of them once that my friend's uncle's sister's brother's cousin's next-door neighbor took with a camera phone from 2003, which saved it as a level one JPEG, and I thought it looked awful.

*cough*

-Corey

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:04 am

I stated from the beginning my intention with this, and that was having a resource for material demonstrating the difference between the Dragon Box and Season sets, because a lot of the people out there right now, downright refuse to believe that there is anything "altered" in FUNi's remasters.

The simple fact, regardless of whether you want to argue which is better, is that there is, and I find that direct sampling of the media in question does much more to educate people than verbal explanations, sound as they may be.

If you find these alterations to be minor or negligible, that is completely irrelevant.

That said, I was really hoping to limit this to just comparison shots: a collection of the ones we have (to cut-down on thread-digging) coupled with whatever new ones people find to be useful or interesting, since we've already had so much discussion on this vs. that with the sets as it stands.

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:22 am

BrollysKin wrote:I figured someone would be upset by my opinion. While not ever having seen them in person, from every shot I have ever seen, I don't view them as UbeR PURRfect! They look grainy and dark.

The screenshots of the Dragonboxes look REALLy bad, but if you were to view them on a normal television, then they look amazing.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:20 am

I just got my copy of Funi's Season 1 box today (Yay..?, I'm really conflicted about it :? )

What I have noticed is the difference in packaging, it's now in a hard plastic case and the discs are no longer stacked on top of each other, not to mention the 4:3 shots on the box and in the book are now 16:9 (not sure if they were cropped or just stretched) , and the spine no longer forms part of an image.

If anyone is interested in seeing, I'll post a picture.

Also the "re-mastering" documentary is no-where to be seen.

Anyway, my tv has a shitload of overscan, so I lose the "new" footage, and then some :?

LeMoonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LeMoonwalker » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:26 am

Captain Awesome wrote:And the spine no longer forms part of an image.
Does this mean they will cancel the Season Sets to launch a possible Blu-Ray collection ?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:37 am

Captain Awesome wrote:What I have noticed is the difference in packaging, it's now in a hard plastic case and the discs are no longer stacked on top of each other, not to mention the 4:3 shots on the box and in the book are now 16:9 (not sure if they were cropped or just stretched) , and the spine no longer forms part of an image.
Well, are you sure it's not the australian release of Season 1? That one apparently just used a standard "Fatpack" DVD-cover.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:47 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:What I have noticed is the difference in packaging, it's now in a hard plastic case and the discs are no longer stacked on top of each other, not to mention the 4:3 shots on the box and in the book are now 16:9 (not sure if they were cropped or just stretched) , and the spine no longer forms part of an image.
Well, are you sure it's not the australian release of Season 1? That one apparently just used a standard "Fatpack" DVD-cover.
My bad, I was on my way out and neglected to mention that it was indeed the Australian release, but I'm not quite clear on what is meant by "Fatpack" I(t's not a fold out that goes into a cover like my Tin-Tin dvd's if thats what you mean)

Anyway I just found it interesting how they had actually fixed the misleading pictures on the back, considering they don't fix anything else.

Now that I've spent some more time with it, and the remastering is indeed not great, sometimes it looks quite decent (a step up from the super-dark super-grainy ultimate uncuts, not taking cropping into consideration) but also in several occasions severely rapes the detail away, it annoys me that this was done to reduce grain, it's cel-photographed animation produced in the early 90's, it should have grain.

I'm only buying these sets because it's my only option, the price is right and at times (not that often) the remastering can look good (ignoring the colours, considering the only "original" colours I have seen is from screencaps of the Dragonbox on my computer monitor, which isn't really indicative of the real colours)

But yes, the cropping does truly suck hardcore.

Anyway, I know you guys know this already, just felt like throwing in my two cents :p

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:19 am

Really the cropping isn't that bad. It's like the sarcastic comment that the one guy said here: but you can't see the rest of Vegeta's clothes and see how he's dressed for the occasion!

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:45 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Really the cropping isn't that bad. It's like the sarcastic comment that the one guy said here: but you can't see the rest of Vegeta's clothes and see how he's dressed for the occasion!
It cuts off detail that was meant to be seen, and ruins a lot of scene composition.

But they added in some more side-stuff. You can totally see some extra Vegeta shoulder pad! *squeeee*

Seriously, it's the worst thing that's ever been done for domestic DBZ releases. We're not asking much: just don't purposefully cut out 20% of the image".

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:28 pm

I reiterate:
That said, I was really hoping to limit this to just comparison shots: a collection of the ones we have (to cut-down on thread-digging) coupled with whatever new ones people find to be useful or interesting, since we've already had so much discussion on this vs. that with the sets as it stands.
Just post pics guys. I enjoy debate as much as the next guy but there are plenty of other topics to do it in.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:16 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
BrollysKin wrote:I understand your point and I agree, I didn't mean to be rude. I just don't think it's nessecarily as great as everyone makes it out to be. But I do agree they look better than FUNI.
I agree. I saw a picture of them once that my friend's uncle's sister's brother's cousin's next-door neighbor took with a camera phone from 2003, which saved it as a level one JPEG, and I thought it looked awful.

*cough*

-Corey
This is why I usually don't say anything about the uber mystic Dragonboxs. I try to make a well placed comment based off of what I have seen. By this logic (things look better in person) than the FUNI dvd's will look better in person. Sufice to say, they do not.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:48 pm

BrollysKin wrote:This is why I usually don't say anything about the uber mystic Dragonboxs. I try to make a well placed comment based off of what I have seen. By this logic (things look better in person) than the FUNI dvd's will look better in person. Sufice to say, they do not.
While no offense is meant, you haven't seen anything. I'll happily send you a sampler disc with some clips directly taken from the DragonBox, back-to-back with FUNi clips. I'll also throw in test patterns and tell you how to calibrate your television to (close to) reference levels.

THEN, you can remark. Sound good? And I'm 100% serious.

-Corey