Season-to-D.Box Comparison Shots

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:01 pm

this is the only shot I have seen that looks better than the DBox equivalent, in my own opinion. Bolded so people won't go "OMGUSUKLOLZ" before they see my whole post. I'm not SAYING everyone should like it better, I'm saying it's my personal preference. Maybe I'm being paranoid here, but I just wanna avoid a flame war.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:07 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Really the cropping isn't that bad. It's like the sarcastic comment that the one guy said here: but you can't see the rest of Vegeta's clothes and see how he's dressed for the occasion!
Dragon Ball Z, the TV series, was animated in 4:3. It was animated to always be seen in fullscreen. The movies, however, were also animated in fullscreen but took into consideration that they would be viewed in widescreen at Japanese theaters and VHS releases.

Because of this, the movies were animated to keep all important details in the center portion that isn't going to be cropped out. The animated series, however, has scenes that involve the full screen. You crop most of the screen out, you get eventual blunders like these:

Image Image Image

Not only do faces get cropped out, but you also end up with scenes that were fully transitioned from the manga to the anime with less of an impactful look. Plus, the whole "remastering" process is nothing but a crock of shit.

Not the best at ligning them up, but you can see the noticable differences.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:46 pm

But that shot makes you wonder who came back though. :lol:

There are some drawbacks to the cropping of the movies even though they were supposed to be cropped. If my photobucket account would upload my screens I could show, but alas they aren't. As soon as they come through I show them.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:57 pm

Vekurotto wrote:But that shot makes you wonder who came back though. :lol:
Though we pretty much see Freeza's face in a close up and when it pans upward to reveal him still standing. :P
Vekurotto wrote:There are some drawbacks to the cropping of the movies even though they were supposed to be cropped. If my photobucket account would upload my screens I could show, but alas they aren't. As soon as they come through I show them.
From what everyone's mostly seen, it's really minor stuff that you don't see in the movies.

Stuff like this is fine:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Ts ... pare-8.png

Prior to the fullscreen releases, we didn't even know that the movies were actually animated in fullscreen. They were animated fullscreen, but nothing of importance was really lost with those as they didn't chop off anyone's heads or show anyone off screen and what not.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:32 am

Tsukento wrote: From what everyone's mostly seen, it's really minor stuff that you don't see in the movies.
I have this great screencap comparing the time when Tullece was talking to Gohan and the upper half of his face gets cropped out of the picture and you just see his mouth moving. But in the first strike boxset (and most likely the original pioneer release) of the same movie you see his entire face. Photobucket still won't upload my screens though. It is very much true though that the cropping of the movies are very minor since they were made to be cropped, unlike the TV series.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:35 am

Try ImageShack Vekurotto.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:48 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote: While no offense is meant, you haven't seen anything. I'll happily send you a sampler disc with some clips directly taken from the DragonBox, back-to-back with FUNi clips. I'll also throw in test patterns and tell you how to calibrate your television to (close to) reference levels.

THEN, you can remark. Sound good? And I'm 100% serious.

-Corey
I personally would love to see some sample clips of the Dragonbox footage uploaded (properly encoded of course) with some Funi footage to show the comparison, that I could easily burn and throw into my dvd player.

That raises an interesting Idea, if someone could throw some Pioneer and Ultimate uncut footage in, a sampler disc could be made to show people what they are thinking about blowing their hard earned cash on.

Anyway, just a thought.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I personally would love to see some sample clips of the Dragonbox footage uploaded (properly encoded of course) with some Funi footage to show the comparison, that I could easily burn and throw into my dvd player.
The only way to do it properly would be to simply cut the VOB's, meaning there would be no re-encoding. Which means friggin' huge files (hence my offer to burn a DVD and send, unless you have unlimited bandwith you'd care to share ;p).

-Corey

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:18 pm

You know what's sad? No one's taking any good shots from the set, they're only taking the shots with split-second glitches. But guess that's because no one would actually bother to compare something that would be non-slanderous toward the season set and does nothing but make it look terrible! God forbid someone actually making the Season Sets look good!

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:40 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:You know what's sad? No one's taking any good shots from the set, they're only taking the shots with split-second glitches. But guess that's because no one would actually bother to compare something that would be non-slanderous toward the season set and does nothing but make it look terrible! God forbid someone actually making the Season Sets look good!
Why should we? The principle of the matter is that FUNi said that these were remastered "frame-by-frame" and making it sound like they were manna from heaven or something like that. They acted as if these sets were flawless, although they obviously aren't. I'm wondering, for anybody with any of the Dragon Boxes, are there any signs of flaws like this anywhere on those sets.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Eh, I for one have no problems with the sets. I love DBZ and I think it should be full screen as it was meant but it's not as though the wide-screen ruins the whole series. There are a few mistakes here and there but they don't bother me. I probably won't pick up the sets though. Not because they bother me but because my interest in DBZ has dwindled over the years and I wanna save my money for Funi's One Piece sets which will actually be godly and flawless. Funi One Piece dub = Win! But anyway, I don't have any problems with these sets. Complaining won't do anything for me except waste my time. Yes, Funi did lie but mostly because they wanted people to get these sets. It's all about money. We'll get full screen sets but until then their One Piece sets will tide me over :D .

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:58 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:You know what's sad? No one's taking any good shots from the set, they're only taking the shots with split-second glitches. But guess that's because no one would actually bother to compare something that would be non-slanderous toward the season set and does nothing but make it look terrible! God forbid someone actually making the Season Sets look good!
Actually, FUNimation is dedicated to doing that. The number of people against this set UTTERLY PALES compared to the people who ignorantly love it and FUNimation who has millions of dollars to throw into advertising. We're a few random people on a message board. So, what's really imbalanced here?

There are hundreds of DB message boards out there. If you don't like the fact most frequent members here dislike these sets, try another board?

Oh, also, look at the first post on this page. Is the goal of that shot to make the sets look bad?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:00 pm

I've just finished watching my season 1 set from start to finish.

these "split-second" glitches occur quite often. nearly every time the frame is shaking, the re-mastering craps out (Nappa's toothpaste style), so they aren't exactly few and far between.

That said, I will buy the next one, if this is the only way I can get all of Dbz in Japanese with subtitles, it's going to have to do.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:04 pm

Duo wrote:
Actually, FUNimation is dedicated to doing that. The number of people against this set UTTERLY PALES compared to the people who ignorantly love it and FUNimation who has millions of dollars to throw into advertising. We're a few random people on a message board. So, what's really imbalanced here?

There are hundreds of DB message boards out there. If you don't like the fact most frequent members here dislike these sets, try another board?

Oh, also, look at the first post on this page. Is the goal of that shot to make the sets look bad?
You know exactly what I'm talking about. The pics on the first page. And are you saying I'm an ignorant fan? No, I just care more about the DBZ story then a couple of bits of Goku's hair and boots.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:21 pm

The simple answer is to get over it, like I said in some other thread a week or two ago. Get over it or go somewhere else, do you want Mike to make it a rule you can't critique a DVD?

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Just post screens!!! Don't argue over them!

Please. Enough is enough.

Back on-topic: Corey, I was wondering earlier what had happened to your images (the original film frame shots, for instance)—they seem to have all gone offline... are they still available? Thanks.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Off topic question - it mentions in the review that DBZ was first aired in 1984? :shock: how can that be? Mr Toriyama had first started on the Dragonball series that year from what i've read.. i thought the Saiya-jin saga was produced around 1988 or '89?

All that money i wasted on Seasons One and Two.. :x
Just Saiyan...

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:40 pm

SaiyaMel wrote:Off topic question - it mentions in the review that DBZ was first aired in 1984? :shock: how can that be? Mr Toriyama had first started on the Dragonball series that year from what i've read.. i thought the Saiya-jin saga was produced around 1988 or '89?

All that money i wasted on Seasons One and Two.. :x
The Dragonball manga started in '84 but DBZ, the anime was made it '89.

Flaw.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:43 pm

Vekurotto wrote:The Dragonball manga started in '84 but DBZ, the anime was made it '89.
Flaw.
The DB anime started February 26, 1986, FYI.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:45 pm

desirecampbell wrote: The DB anime started February 26, 1986, FYI.
I was just talking about the "Z" portion being made in 1989. Since I tend to view the anime differently.