Season-to-D.Box Comparison Shots

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Season-to-D.Box Comparison Shots

Post by Acid_Reign » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm

I know there have been a multitude posted within the forums, but they're scattered around and I'd like for them to all be located in one, easy-to-find place for future reference (namely, showing people who won't listen that there is a difference). I've noticed that all of Corey's pics have gone offline. Is there any place that they can still be located?

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm

I got rid of a few of mine, but here is what I have left: If something specific is needed, let me know. I have others, but they basically compared those to some singles, not the season box sets.

ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Well, while amazon's entry for season two doesn't have comparison shots, its entry for the first season has a handful. I had a couple more put up on imageshack, but I deleted 'em, since I figured we were all over the season sets by now :roll:...

Also, etc5150, what's up with the black bars on your screencaps? Shouldn't they not have them if one decides to take a screencap, or are you using some different kind of image capturing... thing?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:16 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Also, etc5150, what's up with the black bars on your screencaps? Shouldn't they not have them if one decides to take a screencap, or are you using some different kind of image capturing... thing?
I added them for comparison purposes to keep them in a consistent resolution. When correcting for the aspect ratios, you either have different resolutions, or bars. I just corrected for the aspect ratio and lumped it in the center as it would be seen on a 4:3 TV. Nothing has been removed from the image. It is presented as a DVD player would on a 4:3 TV.

The third option is to have same resolutions, but different aspect rations (i.e. - just a straight screen cap of the 720 x 480 picture).
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:28 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Well, while amazon's entry for season two doesn't have comparison shots, its entry for the first season has a handful.
This is friggin' awesome.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:37 pm

ect5150 wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Also, etc5150, what's up with the black bars on your screencaps? Shouldn't they not have them if one decides to take a screencap, or are you using some different kind of image capturing... thing?
I added them for comparison purposes to keep them in a consistent resolution. When correcting for the aspect ratios, you either have different resolutions, or bars. I just corrected for the aspect ratio and lumped it in the center as it would be seen on a 4:3 TV. Nothing has been removed from the image. It is presented as a DVD player would on a 4:3 TV.

The third option is to have same resolutions, but different aspect rations (i.e. - just a straight screen cap of the 720 x 480 picture).
Just curious, but how do you keep the image from aliasing? Every time I select "16:9" on a software DVD player, it stretches to the right DAR, but ends up looking jagged.

Thanks too for the 'caps everyone... I see Corey still has a some of his images hosted on Amazon.
Last edited by Acid_Reign on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.

BartTrunks

Post by BartTrunks » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Why do people always bring that screen up... It's a panning shot!!!

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:25 pm

BartTrunks wrote:Why do people always bring that screen up... It's a panning shot!!!
Well because we normally could see more then his mouth.
Edit: Not even his mouth, his nose I guess
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:47 pm

DragonBox -
Season 2 -
14 years later

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:17 am

Is it just me, or is Season 2 even more visually error-packed than Season 1?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:11 pm

Kendamu wrote:Is it just me, or is Season 2 even more visually error-packed than Season 1?
Oh, it is. Lots more "frame-blending," and the contrast literally looks like a horrible RealVideo fansub from the late 90's.

-Corey

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:29 pm

The problems as far as visuals are most noticable in the first five discs of season 2. The last disc looks awesome, but the first five had all the bleached coloring. While my TV settings helped the Season 1 set look closer to the D-Box, it didn't help for Season 2 (maybe I should change the tint).

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:52 pm

I like this one, you can see how much is loss AND the visual difference...

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:04 pm

Kendamu wrote:Is it just me, or is Season 2 even more visually error-packed than Season 1?
Sure is. On the Season 1 set, I only noticed two instances of animation lines disappearing (on Nappa's face and on the street cleaner on Snake Way), and the brightness didn't seem too bad. (i.e, no one's skin color was too bright, etc.)

On Season 2, there were animation lines missing in several more shots (primarily shots were the frame was shaking or there was fast movement.) The brightness & contrast seemed even brighter. I'm not sure but maybe it was because the Namek episodes were done in a brighter color scheme. But either way, the brightness is cranked up too high.

The backgrounds on Namek seemed to fade into white nothingness, Gohan's face was always a ghostly white, but all this seemed more prominent on the first 5 discs. I compared eps. 68-74 from the Season 2 Set to my old FUNi "Captain Ginyu" discs, and the color's are pretty much the same (just slightly more saturated on the Season Set), the brightness/kicked isn't kicked up to a disgusting degree (people's skin tones were pretty much the same)... The only difference I noticed was that the film grain was totally wiped out on the Season set (that DVNR "blurring" process), while the "Captain Ginyu" discs had some slight grain on the film.

Either way, I'm going to go ahead and say while eps. 68-74 look pretty decent on the Season sets and closer to the old FUNi masters. the episodes before it look considerably different on the Season set, and most people will probably notice some "over-brightening" at work here.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:23 pm

Funimation needs to do a remastering process that doesn't mess anything up. It seems like the technology that Video Post & Transfer used isn't all that good. They also deliberately changed the colors, because if they were using the japanese film masters, there'd be no reason to run it through a "color-correction" unit.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:55 pm

It's not that the technology itself sucks. It's the people running the technology and the way they went about doing it "frame-by-frame" that sucks.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:02 pm

Kendamu wrote:It's not that the technology itself sucks. It's the people running the technology and the way they went about doing it "frame-by-frame" that sucks.
They need to work with someone different.

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:18 pm

It's actually the fact that someone pushed a button to do the "remastering", brightening, and DVNR process without actually going back and checking over it.

If the widescreen didn't occur, nor the overbrightening/high contrast, or the over DVNR-ed video that results in animation lines being lost, we actually could've turned out with some good remastered footage.

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:52 pm

Granted the widescreen sucks and in many cases they did an extremely poor job with detail, but I don't care for the dragonbox look at all. I still see considerable grain and I don't care for the dark coloring. That may be how it was originally, but it still doesn't do good for my eyes.

But regardless it's still the lesser of 2 evils.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:I like this one, you can see how much is loss AND the visual difference...

But man! Look at all of that extra armor we get in the shot! You really feel that Vegeta dressed for the occasion!