Widescreen & Dragon Box Video

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Widescreen & Dragon Box Video

Post by ect5150 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:14 pm

I go away for a week roughly and a few more threads pop-up about Widescreen & Dragon Box. Anyways, someone wanted to see some comparison videos, so here you go.

http://dbz-rpg.com/dbox/
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pfiiuw
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ct88o7

Each is the small clip of the actual MPEG2 stream with AC3 audio. They are in a MKV container. If you can't play Matroska files, go here (http://www.cccp-project.net/) and your problem is solved by using Media Player Classic and ffdshow.
Last edited by ect5150 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:26 pm

Nice nice. Do you need a mirror? I can throw them up on my server too.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:33 pm

Damn it! Too large for me to download. Oh well, I know which one looks better. :P

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:43 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Nice nice. Do you need a mirror? I can throw them up on my server too.
If you want to mirror it, I'll edit my post to include additional links.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:02 pm

ect5150 wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Nice nice. Do you need a mirror? I can throw them up on my server too.
If you want to mirror it, I'll edit my post to include additional links.
I've got the first comparisons up. Same filename, just at http://dbz-rpg.com/dbox/

Having trouble getting the second two up. Probably a server error. Fuck, I hate my host.

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:10 am

Second half which i uploaded myself.. 8)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pfiiuw

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ct88o7

Will expire after 30 days if not downloaded within that stretch of time.

- Saiya
Just Saiyan...

LeMoonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LeMoonwalker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:32 am

I guess ect5150 chose the worst-looking moments of the season set just to show how Funimation is "the crapiness" :roll:

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:34 am

LeMoonwalker wrote:I guess ect5150 chose the worst-looking moments of the season set just to show how Funimation is "the crapiness" :roll:
Why do you have to drag this nonsense into another thread? It's pointless and irrelevant to the topic. If you don't like it, buy the Dragonbox and Season Sets and do your own "unbiased" comparisons. Til' then, please don't drag this crap outside of where it belongs.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:48 am

LeMoonwalker wrote:I guess ect5150 chose the worst-looking moments of the season set just to show how Funimation is "the crapiness" :roll:
Actually, those scenes are pretty good for the season set. I looked through it quickly and didn't notice that much. Well, except for the cropping. That sucked - but still not the worst example of cropping on the set.

LeMoonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LeMoonwalker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:52 am

Duo wrote:
Why do you have to drag this nonsense into another thread? It's pointless and irrelevant to the topic. If you don't like it, buy the Dragonbox and Season Sets and do your own "unbiased" comparisons. Til' then, please don't drag this crap outside of where it belongs.
Okay, I'm sorry.
It's just that everybody here lives only to say how stupid is Funimation, whereas we, in France, have even worst DVD (Monolingual - Edited - Really bad picture quality - Expensive - Bad covers) so it's kinda annoying :?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:56 am

LeMoonwalker wrote:Okay, I'm sorry.
It's just that everybody here lives only to say how stupid is Funimation, whereas we, in France, have even worst DVD (Monolingual - Edited - Really bad picture quality - Expensive - Bad covers) so it's kinda annoying :?
Aren't the French getting a new Dragon Box-esque dual audio release of the movies? I heard it was delayed, but AFAIK it's still on the way.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:56 am

Well, if you have a good point to make, there's the thread about getting over the Season Set flaws. Perhaps you would be better received there? I'm just not willing or tolerant of seeing it get dragged into threads that don't really relate to it. It's like someone asking a legitimate question about a Broli movie and then having someone come in and talk about how much Broli sucks and how no one should ever watch the movies. I don't even like Broli, but that would be utterly tactless and beside the point.

That's how I look at this.

LeMoonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LeMoonwalker » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:34 am

desirecampbell wrote:Aren't the French getting a new Dragon Box-esque dual audio release of the movies? I heard it was delayed, but AFAIK it's still on the way.
Well, actually this would be our first dual-audio release.
"Dragon Box-esque" is not the word since none of the DBZ Movies will be remastered (and the current masters are far from being Dragon Box-esque), the book doesn't learn anything and the release is halted since there is a right conflict with these "bad" monaural DVDs. :(

Okay I stop the off-topic now :)

nwoo_2002
Beyond Newbie

Post by nwoo_2002 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:28 am

Back to the comparison. In all honesty aside from the cropping, the lower quality sound, the high amount of smoothing, the noticable artifacts of dirt and the large amount of blue incorporated into every shot; its prety good.

Think i'm in a position were I own the episodes on tape (dubbed ofcourse), I own a scattered amount of Dragon Box singles and ofcourse a large chunk of Funi's Original releases. Point being i've seen the series many times and i'm in the position were I can wait till it gets a good release. Watching that comparison is a prime example of one studio taking the time and money to re-release a popular series touched up, while another simply got greedy and believed that any old job would surfice. Had they used some of the profit gained from these 'successful sets' to enhance the releases, we may all be in the process digging into our pockets to fork out more money on a series we probably all own in one shape or form. Shame really.

Ignore the ramble in the middle but my views on the sets have never been published on this forum so thought i'd give my view. I would be eager to see some season 2 comparisons with the Dragon Box however.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:38 am

DUMBASS! I took two random action sequences from a single episode. I didn't go looking for any fucking damage or oddball discolorations. If you want to criticize the scenes in that fashion then upload your own goddamn videos using your own fucking time.

I didn't see any major breaks, tears, dirt, macro-blocking or Nappa 'toothpaste effects' in the FUNI vids I uploaded. I could have EASILY gotten some of those though because they exist. But its also impossible to grab a minute clip from the FUNI vids without finding that stuff as it stands. If you think the FUNI video I uploaded looks like shit, then guess what! That's what the season set looks like compared to the Dragon Box. Those are average scenes in BOTH the widescreen and the dragonbox. The individuals that own both can back me up on it.
ect5150

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyaMel » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:33 pm

So no one thanks me for the Mirrors? :(
Just Saiyan...

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:52 pm

That was great, thanks for uploading :), I've finally been able to see the Dragonboxes in motion

The colours are gorgeous, I didn't bother downloading the Funi comparisons, as I'm already familiar with how they look, I was pretty convinced by the screen shots posted in other threads, but after viewing this I can't see how anyone could dispute the quality here, the Dragonboxes are clearly superior in every possible way.

Anyway, I'm hoping for some kind of re-release of the boxes in a few years (tracking down singles is too troublesome for me), hopefully Toei love money enough to do so.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Anyway, I'm hoping for some kind of re-release of the boxes in a few years (tracking down singles is too troublesome for me), hopefully Toei love money enough to do so.
Despite evidence to the possible contrary, I do imagine Toei will possibly put out the Z boxes again in another limited run before we hit more accessable HD media like Bluray and such.

Because sure, while those who wanted the boxes were mostly able to get them the first time around, and those who couldn't might have bought the singles, you cannot underestimate the willingness of fans of 'that' calibre to have maybe missed out, or wanted it for the sake of having it.

Not that I'll dip on it that time around. There's simply not time in life anymore to rewatch it, for me anyway.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Wow...
What impressed me the most is the DragonBoxes' audio quality. There's quite a difference! Makes me sad that the upcoming Blu-ray releases from FUNi are probably going to sound as bad as their DVDs.

I also agree that a few years down the road Toei will re-release the sets in a next-gen format. That'll be the time when all the rabid fans that missed out on the DVDs will dive in head first. I for one will NOT let the chance escape me again!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:58 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Wow...
What impressed me the most is the DragonBoxes' audio quality. There's quite a difference! Makes me sad that the upcoming Blu-ray releases from FUNi are probably going to sound as bad as their DVDs.
My goodness you're right!, I was so intent on soaking in the quality of the visuals that I didn't even notice the sound, I just turned it up and it sounds amazing compared to Funi's season 1 set (which sounds like it was sampled underwater in the middle of a storm)