Ever notice...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Ever notice...

Post by Alias » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:25 am

Vegeta still has his tail in the Freeza Saga! If you look closely at the manga, the panel where Vegeta is butt-naked in the healing tank, he has a stub of a tail. Sure, when you see his profile later, there's no lump on the back of his bodysuit, but Toriyama's art wasn't always consistent (now you see Yamucha's scar, then you don't, then it's back...). It's still there since Vegeta was pretty sure that it would grow back, and thus would not have had the remainder chopped off so soon after losing it (though he might have done that later when it didn't grow back after a while).

Piccolo is related to Dende! The first Piccolo was referred to as being a prodigy of the Dragon Clan (presumably a family tree of Nameksei-jins), and when Dende was chosen to become the God of earth, he was referred to as being from the Dragon Clan too. It's likely that Katatsu and Saichorou were related.

I just noticed the Vegeta one when I picked up the manga a minute ago and saw it sticking out. Icky little naked bottoms...

Ja ne!

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:36 am

I can't say much about Vegeta's tail, I simply don't have those volumes of the manga. However in the anime, when he steps out of the healing chamber his tail is gone completly and he knew it wasn't going to grow back.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:43 am

Here's the dialogue from the manga...

Doctor: "Unfortunately, your tail could not be regenerated..."

Vegeta: "No matter, it'll grow back again."

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:52 am

How odd. I wonder why it didn't?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:07 am

Perhaps it just didn't grow back because as Vegita grew stronger, the need for the tail became redundent? He and Nappa had already evolved enough that grabbing their tails wouldn't effect them. It's probably a concept to silmilar tadpoles. Tadpoles need their tails when they are babies, hence weaker, but then when they become adults, hence stronger, they shed their tails because they don't need them anymore for the adult stage of life. Probably his body just didn't trigger any tail re-growth because it didn't have the need at that point. He was at a new level or stage in a Saiyajin's life, albeit one that most Saiyajins never reach. But then, evolution always takes eons to happen.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:08 pm

It still always hurts Saiyans when their tails are grabbed, even Nappa. (This goes back to the 22nd budoukai) It's just that after training their tails they don't become as weakened as Radditz when they're grabbed. As for the stub never groing back, note that when it does grow back it happens as fast Piccolo regenerating a limb. Maybe Vegeta has conscious control over growing it back to full once it's reached a certain stage, and just decided not to bother with it since he could go Super Saiyan.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:56 pm

Piccolo is related to Dende! The first Piccolo was referred to as being a prodigy of the Dragon Clan (presumably a family tree of Nameksei-jins), and when Dende was chosen to become the God of earth, he was referred to as being from the Dragon Clan too. It's likely that Katatsu and Saichorou were related.
No kidding. Every Nameckian is related to every Nameckian.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:45 am

No kidding. Every Nameckian is related to every Nameckian.
I know that. I wasn't saying he was related to just Dende and none of the others. But I don't think every Nameksei-jin was closely related before the cataclysm, since they seem to have had 'clans' rather than there just being one who gave birth to everyone else. I've never heard anyone talk about that before on any website or forum, so I was simply mentioning something that few seem to have noticed.

Dayspring: I don't think Vegeta had conscious control over growing his tail back, since he didn't do it when it could have saved him in either the Saiya-jin or Freeza sagas. If he had gone Oozaru against the Ginyu Tokusentai, he could have mopped the floor with them, chewed on their heads, crushed their bones, eaten them alive... Hehe... This is Vegeta, after all. He probably would have used Ginyu's horns to pick his teeth.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:55 pm

Dayspring: I don't think Vegeta had conscious control over growing his tail back, since he didn't do it when it could have saved him in either the Saiya-jin or Freeza sagas. If he had gone Oozaru against the Ginyu Tokusentai, he could have mopped the floor with them, chewed on their heads, crushed their bones, eaten them alive... Hehe... This is Vegeta, after all. He probably would have used Ginyu's horns to pick his teeth.
Maybe Vegeta has conscious control over growing it back to full once it's reached a certain stage, and just decided not to bother with it since he could go Super Saiyan.
Note that in the Saiyan and Freeza sagas Vegeta isn't SSJ. I meant the stub hadn't healed enough until he could reach SSJ before he could regrow it.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:21 am

Note that in the Saiyan and Freeza sagas Vegeta isn't SSJ. I meant the stub hadn't healed enough until he could reach SSJ before he could regrow it.
He was in a healing tank twice, so any stub he had would have been fully healed before he fought the Ginyu Tokusentai. Plus, the way he responded was as though he knew that it would grow back on its own, just like Goku and Gohan's tails did.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:58 am

It doesn't heal tails. The doctor said so after he exited the first tank. There's also the probability that he pulls/cuts it off when it grows back now that he can go SSJ.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:05 pm

Dayspring wrote:It doesn't heal tails. The doctor said so after he exited the first tank. There's also the probability that he pulls/cuts it off when it grows back now that he can go SSJ.
I think that's probably unlikely...

Even though Vegeta no longer needs to transform into an Ozaru after he becomes a Super Saiyan, he would also have no reason to remove his own tail. After all, he states in the Saiyan saga that his tail isn't a weakness like the other Saiyans.

Another reason aside from that, tails seem to be very important to Saiyans just in general, as I remember Vegeta and Nappa made lots of comments about Goku being a 'freak' and 'a tailess loser' (Although that may just be another dub insert).

Heh, didn't mean to go off on a rant there, but I think you can see my point. The most likely reason he didn't regrow his tail, is simply because Toriyama couldn't be bothered. Maybe he didn't like drawing it each time, maybe he thought it wouldn't matter since he didn't plan on Vegeta ever turning Ozaru again. That's most likely your answer.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 pm

The most likely reason he didn't regrow his tail, is simply because Toriyama couldn't be bothered. Maybe he didn't like drawing it each time, maybe he thought it wouldn't matter since he didn't plan on Vegeta ever turning Ozaru again.
Probably that. There were many times in the manga where he forgot to draw Goku's tail in the early years. Would be cool to see Ozaru SSJ Vegeta against Cell, though. :twisted:

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:16 pm

Hey shouldn't Vegeta's tail have grown back. Because Gohan and Goku's tail grew back before when they where mad at some point. And Vegeta always gets mad so his should grown back right :?:
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

mAcChaos

!

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:56 pm

I always thought that it was implied that the tails grew back when they were younger; neither Goku nor Vegeta's grows back when they are adults. But chibi Goku and chibi Gohan's both did.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:30 pm

Vegeta himself said his would grow back eventually when he gets out of the regen tank on planet Freeza #79. He's an adult when he says this, so we're all confused as to why it never came back.

mAcChaos

!

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:32 pm

My second guess from the way it seems to pop out just when they want it would be that they might be able to control it, and in this case Vegeta never felt the need for it again, with his insurmountable SSJ abilities.