Funimation's "Faux-"Remastered Season 5 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Sat May 24, 2008 3:37 am

I guess this was their way to stop fans saying Funi didn't redub anything, but they don't get that we want the made-up things to be re-done.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat May 24, 2008 3:53 am

Yes, Gero still runs the Red Ribbon Army yet now Krillin says "Wow they're really tearing it up"...HUZZAH!!

They don't need to even re-do anything now given that Hebert is still re-doing the Narrator lines.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:28 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:"Wow they're really tearing it up"
!!! Sounds like the kids at my school! :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 24, 2008 10:46 am

In the future, if they do get the Dragon Boxes to release, they HAVE to redub it from scratch, with proper names, attacks, episode titles, proper scripts and definitly no chitchat. Only then will I be happy with the dub.

Ultimate DBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate DBZ » Sat May 24, 2008 12:46 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Yes, Gero still runs the Red Ribbon Army yet now Krillin says "Wow they're really tearing it up"...HUZZAH!!

They don't need to even re-do anything now given that Hebert is still re-doing the Narrator lines.
In the Season Sets, did they at least change the part about Dr. Gero being the scientist leader enstead of just the leader of the RRA?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:39 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:In the future, if they do get the Dragon Boxes to release, they HAVE to redub it from scratch, with proper names, attacks, episode titles, proper scripts and definitly no chitchat. Only then will I be happy with the dub.
- They have all the proper names. The only name that is NOT proper is Bulla, but that depends how you look at it.
- They have all the proper attacks
- The episode titles are way too long in the Japanese version
- The scripts are comment si, comment sa accurate, besides they offer the proper Japanese scripts on the DVDs
- Chit chat? I guess...

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat May 24, 2008 4:47 pm

I wouldn't even care about any added lines in this set. But they removed a line that I loved (Cell, step away from Vegeta & face me).
- They have all the proper names. The only name that is NOT proper is Bulla, but that depends how you look at it.
- They have all the proper attacks
- The episode titles are way too long in the Japanese version
- The scripts are comment si, comment sa accurate, besides they offer the proper Japanese scripts on the DVDs
- Chit chat? I guess...
-...Um...Many names should be corrected if they were to re-dub the entire series...Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Kame-sennin.
-Kienzan, Kikoho, Genki-dama (as opposed to Destructo Disc, Tri-Beam, Spirit Bomb)
-I agree with you on the Episode titles. I FAR prefer FUNi's. Though in a full Re-Dub they'd need to be changed.
-People also want a Dub that stays accurate to the Original script.

This will likely never happen if they even if they get the DBOX footage. Personally as a Dubbie I debate with myself on this. I guess in the end it could only help American DragonBall. I mean I'll already own the entire Original Dub and have all their old names, attacks, titles, and scripts. But it'd feel weird to hear the ENG voices using all the JP names & attacks. It'd take some getting used to. But again, I'd already own the entire series so it'd be like seeing the Dub in a new way.
*Dodges rocks*

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat May 24, 2008 4:52 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:They have all the proper names. The only name that is NOT proper is Bulla, but that depends how you look at it.
Many of the names are wrong. Tien, Krillin, Bulla (it's not correct, Bulla is not an article of clothing at all), Goku/Gohan/Goten don't have 'Son', etc.
TheGreatness25 wrote:They have all the proper attacks
Have they redubbed Tribeam, Kay-o-ken, desrtucto disc, etc?
TheGreatness25 wrote:The episode titles are way too long in the Japanese version
And they're too short in the dub.
TheGreatness25 wrote:The scripts are comment si, comment sa accurate, besides they offer the proper Japanese scripts on the DVDs
Which is all I care about, but we;'re talking about the dub here - which still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat May 24, 2008 5:02 pm

Did anyone else notice that the music is a bit louder in the dub w/J-BGM track? Maybe it's just me...

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sat May 24, 2008 5:10 pm

xzero wrote:Did anyone else notice that the music is a bit louder in the dub w/J-BGM track? Maybe it's just me...
English with Japanese music is 5.1 surround, original English is stereo and original Japanese is mono.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat May 24, 2008 5:13 pm

As long as Funi can come up with a new gimmick for the franchise, expect a re-release. I can see it now:
Funimation wrote: For the first time ever! Experience Dragonball Z the way the Japanese see it! In FULLSCREEN with ORIGINAL AUDIO and music, with all the correct Japanese names and attacks! Plus, Never Before Seen Episode previews, all 291. This is the ultimate DBZ Dragonbox footage release, only previously released in Japan! Dragonball Z the way we should have done it in the first place. Availible Fall 2010 on DVD/Bluray!
I will sue Funimation if they steal that tagline.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sat May 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Looks like Best Buy's having their $45 deal again. I suppose we can come to expect this for Season 6/Movies 3&4, Season 7/Movies 4&5, etc. Wasn't exactly planning on getting the movie set, what with having the Pioneer DVDs already, but hey, $5 is a steal for such a good release.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat May 24, 2008 6:16 pm

Levlik wrote:http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2115/image37yv2.jpg

Looks like Best Buy's having their $45 deal again. I suppose we can come to expect this for Season 6/Movies 3&4, Season 7/Movies 4&5, etc. Wasn't exactly planning on getting the movie set, what with having the Pioneer DVDs already, but hey, $5 is a steal for such a good release.
Oh yes, good. What's the actual date for this sale? Is it only the release day? I barely got it in time with the last 2; the sale had already officially ended, but they gave it to me that way anyway.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sat May 24, 2008 6:21 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Levlik wrote:http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2115/image37yv2.jpg

Oh yes, good. What's the actual date for this sale? Is it only the release day? I barely got it in time with the last 2; the sale had already officially ended, but they gave it to me that way anyway.
The front page of the ad says that the prices and offers are good until the 31st and that little "3" next to the $45 only states that they need to be purchased on the same receipt.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat May 24, 2008 6:27 pm

Levlik wrote:The front page of the ad says that the prices and offers are good until the 31st and that little "3" next to the $45 only states that they need to be purchased on the same receipt.
Gotcha. Sounds good.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat May 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Levlik wrote:{Picture snipped}

If its like that, then I'll have to buy them. I'll be to Best Buy when I get some money.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat May 24, 2008 7:17 pm

We get the season sets by themselves for sixty bucks, and you'd be lucky if you found one for $55.

Everyone sticks so close to RRP here (Australia), it's bullshit.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Levlik wrote:Image
Didn't anybody else notice this says "10 episodes?" :lol:

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:48 pm

russ869 wrote:
Levlik wrote:Image
Didn't anybody else notice this says "10 episodes?" :lol:
That's okay, I once saw a Best Buy claiming the PS2 pushed a whole 30 polygons per second.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat May 24, 2008 7:51 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Goku/Gohan/Goten don't have 'Son', etc
Let's be fair, it's not necisary for an ENG Dub to call him "Son Goku". Though it would be nice if they threw his last name in there.
*Dodges rocks*