Funimation's "Faux-"Remastered Season 5 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon May 26, 2008 12:58 am

ETC123 wrote: I eamn ever since this began one of the biggest examples of how the dub is still really, really flawed was how Vegeta still offers a partnership with Goku. It's shit like that.
Agree'd, it's nothing like Vegeta. He thought "Kakarot" was a disgrace to the Saiyans.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon May 26, 2008 9:44 am

Adamant wrote:
Vekurotto wrote: "The rules of East Asian name placement" aren't paid that much attention here either.
Actually, given that name reversals are only used for modern-day names, and Son Goku is the Japanese name of Sun Wukong, and thus not a modern-day name, the rule would not be applied here.
And as mentioned, everyone else other than FUNi use "Son Goku" (or "Sangoku" or whatever), without anyone bitching about how it's not "proper" Spanish/German/etc. There's no real excuse for not using the full name of the character.
I never understood why dubs didn't just use the family-name given-name convention. Is it really that hard? Would people not understand?

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon May 26, 2008 9:47 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:i think they are making a SERIOUS mistake not putting SSJ 2 Gohan on the season 6 box
Ya, I didn't think they'd ever make a bigger mistake than giving Vegeta purple hair but once again Funimation amazes me, in a bad way.

WHY!? WHY CAN'T I UNSEE IT!?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 pm

Rory wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:i think they are making a SERIOUS mistake not putting SSJ 2 Gohan on the season 6 box
Ya, I didn't think they'd ever make a bigger mistake than giving Vegeta purple hair but once again Funimation amazes me, in a bad way.

WHY!? WHY CAN'T I UNSEE IT!?
I thought it was Brown like in the series. Jeeeeesus, maybe it's a printing error, or even colouring.
That reminds me, at the start of the series you could see Saiyajin with Brown, blonde and red hair.

Last edited by The Time Traveller on Mon May 26, 2008 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Mon May 26, 2008 1:54 pm

Answer? They just didn't know what they were doing back then. I would say that it's Toei's mistake, but I am thinking that Toriyama didn't even know Saiya-jin traits like that.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon May 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Haseowolf wrote:Answer? They just didn't know what they were doing back then. I would say that it's Toei's mistake, but I am thinking that Toriyama didn't even know Saiya-jin traits like that.
Retconning something that insignificant isn't much of a deal, but to have a main character's hair go from red, to brown to black and then have him state that their race only have black hair... sure they were following the manga but could have elaborated that hair eventually goes black.

Except for King Vegeta, nyuknyuknyuk.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Mon May 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Just a reminder guys, Best Buy is doing the $45 sale for both Season Five and the Movie 1&2 Double Feature.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Mon May 26, 2008 2:53 pm

Well aware, Brad, but thanks a heap ^_^ I've already got my alarm set to run down there to pick them up in the morning and spend my day off (I didn't plan it that way!) watching some good old Dragonball.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon May 26, 2008 5:59 pm

So now we've gone back to looking for Season 1 errors?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon May 26, 2008 6:02 pm

Kendamu wrote:So now we've gone back to looking for Season 1 errors?
Enough is never enough! :D
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon May 26, 2008 8:22 pm

i have no problems with the first 5 covers we have now ....... but [and this only bugs me like 2%] but cell looks like he is drawn with a black crayon - the other 4 fronts have nice sharp clean lines and cell is a bit "off"

but my 'beef' is with not using ssj2 gohan

side note for guessing - do u think they will combine great saiyaman tourny and babidi or just the first 2? - that would b 9 dvds worth from just 2 and they could use saiyaman [although i doubt they would]

then its babidi, majin buu, fusion, kid buu - kind of hard to break those up evenly, unless they are going by plot and not sagas

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 26, 2008 8:23 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:i have no problems with the first 5 covers we have now ....... but [and this only bugs me like 2%] but cell looks like he is drawn with a black crayon - the other 4 fronts have nice sharp clean lines and cell is a bit "off"

but my 'beef' is with not using ssj2 gohan

side note for guessing - do u think they will combine great saiyaman tourny and babidi or just the first 2? - that would b 9 dvds worth from just 2 and they could use saiyaman [although i doubt they would]

then its babidi, majin buu, fusion, kid buu - kind of hard to break those up evenly, unless they are going by plot and not sagas
Please re-read the forum rules. You are expected to type properly. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon May 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Does anyone know of the Best Buy deal includes the Blue Ray version of the movies.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon May 26, 2008 11:06 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Adamant wrote:
Vekurotto wrote: "The rules of East Asian name placement" aren't paid that much attention here either.
Actually, given that name reversals are only used for modern-day names, and Son Goku is the Japanese name of Sun Wukong, and thus not a modern-day name, the rule would not be applied here.
And as mentioned, everyone else other than FUNi use "Son Goku" (or "Sangoku" or whatever), without anyone bitching about how it's not "proper" Spanish/German/etc. There's no real excuse for not using the full name of the character.
I never understood why dubs didn't just use the family-name given-name convention. Is it really that hard? Would people not understand?
Common fans would not I believe.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Mon May 26, 2008 11:10 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:Does anyone know of the Best Buy deal includes the Blue Ray version of the movies.
BLU-RAY, please get it right people! That drives me nuts!!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue May 27, 2008 12:10 am

LeprikanGT wrote:side note for guessing - do u think they will combine great saiyaman tourny and babidi or just the first 2? - that would b 9 dvds worth from just 2 and they could use saiyaman [although i doubt they would]
Here's what I predict for the rest of the un-announced season sets:

Season 7: Great Saiyaman Saga (14 episodes)-Release Date: Early 2009
World Tournament Saga (9 episodes)
Total episodes: 23
Cover: Probably Great Saiyaman

Season 8: Majin Buu Saga (21 episodes)-Release Date: Mid 2009
Babidi Saga (11 episodes)
Total episodes: 32
Cover: Probably Babidi

Season 9: Fusion Saga (21 episodes)-Release Date: Late 2009
Kid Buu Saga (15 episodes)
Total episodes: 36
Cover: Probably Kid Buu

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue May 27, 2008 12:34 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Season 9: Fusion Saga (21 episodes)-Release Date: Late 2009
Kid Buu Saga (15 episodes)
Total episodes: 36
Cover: Probably Kid Buu
I doubt Kid Buu will make the cover, unless SSj3 Goku somehow gets the "Babidi saga/Buu saga" cover. But I would expect Funi to jump at the chance to have Goku on the final boxset. And I think Funi might put both Babidi and Buu on a cover together. Also, I'd love to see Gotenks on the "Fusion saga" boxset.

So basically, I think there will be 4 more boxsets, with The Great Saiyaman, Buu and Babidi, Gotenks and SSj3 Goku on the covers. I'm probably wrong though.

ETC123
Banned

Post by ETC123 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:04 am

desirecampbell wrote: I never understood why dubs didn't just use the family-name given-name convention. Is it really that hard? Would people not understand?
Shorter names stay in childrens minds longer.

Subsequently it's the same reason they don't use honorifics- not because they're trying to drain culture out of it, but rather because there is honestly no point. It sounds odd.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Tue May 27, 2008 6:00 am

ETC123 wrote:
desirecampbell wrote: I never understood why dubs didn't just use the family-name given-name convention. Is it really that hard? Would people not understand?

Subsequently it's the same reason they don't use honorifics- not because they're trying to drain culture out of it, but rather because there is honestly no point. It sounds odd.
Thank you, I can't stand when English dubs use honorifics. As bad as the DBZ dub is I'd rather have the current one then a weaboo "HEY SON GOKU-SAN GO FIND BEJETA-SAMA!" translation.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue May 27, 2008 6:44 am

NeptuneKai wrote:
ETC123 wrote:

Thank you, I can't stand when English dubs use honorifics. As bad as the DBZ dub is I'd rather have the current one then a weaboo "HEY SON GOKU-SAN GO FIND BEJETA-SAMA!" translation.
What about in Macross, where Hikaru called Roy 'Sempai'? It fits for him because he's a Japanese character where the rest are mostly Chinese, European or American.