Funimation's "Faux-"Remastered Season 5 Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue May 27, 2008 4:26 pm

I think Funimation left all that stuff out for the same reason the story isn't there. They wanted it to be an Amercanized Saturday morning cartoon show. A show that was basically devoid of anything close to the original subject material or its foreign roots.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:31 pm

There are certain points where Funi/Ocean Dub use honorifics, or english versions of them. In the Ocea Dub of the first two sagas, Gohan would always call Piccolo Mr. Piccolo, which is the same as him always saying Piccolo-san in Japanese. And when Vegeta would call himself by name in the Funi, he would call himself Prince Vegeta, which is the same as him reffering to himself as Vegeta-sama in the Japanese version. Ditto Frieza. Ditto King Kai.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Tue May 27, 2008 4:44 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:There are certain points where Funi/Ocean Dub use honorifics, or english versions of them. In the Ocea Dub of the first two sagas, Gohan would always call Piccolo Mr. Piccolo, which is the same as him always saying Piccolo-san in Japanese. And when Vegeta would call himself by name in the Funi, he would call himself Prince Vegeta, which is the same as him reffering to himself as Vegeta-sama in the Japanese version. Ditto Freeza.
I will give them that they do call Freeza "Lord" which what "-sama" can mean. In Freeza's context, that would be the correct one. But "Ooji" is what Vegeta refers to himself as and it's just a noun that means "Prince" not an honorific. "King" wouldn't be a good translation for the-sama on Kaio's name though. Like with Freeza "Lord" or maybe "Master" since he teaches Martial Arts techniques would have been better terms.

But while I give them that it's like they just gave up when "Season 4" hit because Trunks and Gohan, from what I remember, never called anybody "Mr." (Insert Name) for example. Actually it was kinda like they abandoned the translation of the honorifics altogether except Master Babidi, but I can't think of anymore of the later Funi stuff after that where they actually even tried.
Last edited by Vekurotto on Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:00 pm

I agree. At the beginning, it seemed like they really did try to translate honorifics, but when they took the season break in between the Frieza and Android sagas back in 2000, they basically forgot about honorifics. I always thought they were important in certain areas. Like how Gohan calls Piccolo Piccolo-san - it really shows how much respect Gohan has for him.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 27, 2008 5:15 pm

I agree, they should have Gohan call him "Mr. Piccolo" more often. I loved re-watching FUNi's Re-Dub of Movie 2...Tons of "Mr. Piccolo", loved it.

On the subject of "Son"...Though I don't think the Dub should have "Son Goku". The "Son" in Son Goku and "son" as in male offspring are pronounced differently.

Also, I find it funny how these Season Set topics seem to find a way to get people arguing over silly little things even when it's not about the sets quality :lol:
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue May 27, 2008 5:20 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I agree, they should have Gohan call him "Mr. Piccolo" more often. I loved re-watching FUNi's Re-Dub of Movie 2...Tons of "Mr. Piccolo", loved it.

On the subject of "Son"...Though I don't think the Dub should have "Son Goku". The "Son" in Son Goku and "son" as in male offspring are pronounced differently.

Also, I find it funny how these Season Set topics seem to find a way to get people arguing over silly little things even when it's not about the sets quality :lol:
What quality? The sets are improving not because of anything Funimation is doing, but because the film isn't as damaged as previous episodes. Still the good old missing lines and bleached out colors.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:23 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that ever since the TV Special Double Feature thread, all of these topics about remastered sets degrade into arguments about the doub. The TV Special thread turned into an argument about whether the dub properly captured Goku's personality (although that was more of a discussion than an argument), the Season 4 thread turned into an argument about dub errors and redundant dialogue, the thread about a potential DB Season set turned into an argument over whether or not Chris Sabat is a good voice actor, and now we're arguing over the use of Japanese terms.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue May 27, 2008 11:23 pm

Raki wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:I agree, they should have Gohan call him "Mr. Piccolo" more often. I loved re-watching FUNi's Re-Dub of Movie 2...Tons of "Mr. Piccolo", loved it.

What quality? The sets are improving not because of anything Funimation is doing, but because the film isn't as damaged as previous episodes. Still the good old missing lines and bleached out colors.
What I meant wasm originally these topics turned into complaining about the 16:9 or the missing lines. And now that that's worn it's self out, there's always still ar argument of something coming up.
*Dodges rocks*

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 am

Didn't Popo in the Ocean dub mistakenly call Kami "Kami-san" when Piccolo sacrificed himself? At least they put ONE in...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 am

Yeah he did. Sometimes FUNimation likes to throw in puns.

Goku: "This is a Super Saiyan."
Buu: "Super...Super [Scia] Jin?"

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed May 28, 2008 6:43 am

Well this all started over someone being pissed off that there was no revised dialogue for Roshi in the sets.

Am I the only one finding it odd that they made Mr.Popo scream "KAMI-SAN!"
just that one time? I wonder what they were thinking since he never did it before then and never did it after then. Anyway shouldn't it have been Kami-Sama?

Not that I’m expecting much from the dub who added breathing over all the dead Nameks to make them still seem alive.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed May 28, 2008 12:39 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Am I the only one finding it odd that they made Mr.Popo scream "KAMI-SAN!" just that one time?
I'm pretty sure you aren't. I think honorifics in non-Japanese dubs are just...retarded. The Mexican dub keeps Kaio-sama and Kami-sama for example and I find it just like, "Did they think that was part of his name?"

I expect equivalents to the honorific in a dub but if I wanted Japanese honorifics in dialogue, I'd watch it in Japanese.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed May 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Yeah, I've always wondered why the Ocean Dub went with "Kami-san" over "-sama".
*Dodges rocks*

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:52 pm

It was a little nod to the fans. FUNimation has done it more than once. Remember, Fat Buu said the word "[Scia] Jin", and in the battle with Frieza, Gohan called Goku's Spirit Bomb and "energy ball", which is what Genki Dama translates into (I believe...or so I read in a fansub).

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu May 29, 2008 12:01 am

Yeah, FUNi tends to do that...I remember in their Lupin III Movie (Special) "The Columbus Files" they made fun of the fact that they pronounce Lupin, Jigen, & Goemon's names wrong in their Dub.
*Dodges rocks*

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu May 29, 2008 5:47 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Yeah, FUNi tends to do that...I remember in their Lupin III Movie (Special) "The Columbus Files" they made fun of the fact that they pronounce Lupin, Jigen, & Goemon's names wrong in their Dub.
How did they pronounce them? Loopen, Jaigan and Go-mon?

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:Yeah, FUNi tends to do that...I remember in their Lupin III Movie (Special) "The Columbus Files" they made fun of the fact that they pronounce Lupin, Jigen, & Goemon's names wrong in their Dub.
How did they pronounce them? Loopen, Jaigan and Go-mon?
"Loo-pin" instead of "Loo-pahn"
"Ji-gen" instead of "Jee-gen"
"G-oh-ee-mahn" instead of "Goy-eh-mohn"

FUNi basically pronounces each name as it is written based on an English pronunciation.
*Dodges rocks*

Lobster_Rage155
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lobster_Rage155 » Thu May 29, 2008 10:31 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:"Goy-eh-mohn"
More like "GO-eh-mohn", but eh.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri May 30, 2008 3:44 pm

I picked up the first two movies and season five yesterday and watch both movie and the first two discs. I've got to say that watching the movies now, all of the movies not just these two, without commercial interuptions, with my current level of knowledge and fandom, and in DVD form just makes me appretiate them soooo much more.

The same applies to the series. whatever technical issues their are with the remastering and everything else fails to deminish the series. The story and action are still there. The only problem I have with the set is that they aren't released fast enough.

On a side note, I was watching the episode on the second disc when Bulma is flying with baby Trunks to deliver the Andriod remote, and as the scene transitioned from the fight with Cell to her flying and Trunks started playing with the remote there is a problem with the English dialog over the Japanese music. The sound effects and music were there, but the voices could hardly be heard. Once the scene changed to Roshi calling her to inform her that Krillin was on an intercept course came up everything was fixed. Did anyone else have this problem?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri May 30, 2008 11:52 pm

So did they take out the alternate angles for these too like they did the movies?