Movies 1 and 2 Blu-ray and DVD Editions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

INVINCEABLE
Not-So-Newbie

Post by INVINCEABLE » Sat May 24, 2008 7:35 pm

I have a question. Was there ever a DVD release of the Broly double feature? If not, I guess we should expect a re-release with a new box art and that would make my BD purchase a waste of money.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat May 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Yeah, there was only a Blu-Ray release. So we'll have a 7 & 8 DVD and a 9 & 10 DVD. With ENG Dub with JP Music tracks.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat May 24, 2008 8:23 pm

INVINCEABLE wrote:I have a question. Was there ever a DVD release of the Broly double feature? If not, I guess we should expect a re-release with a new box art and that would make my BD purchase a waste of money.
With Funimation these days, it's beginning to seem like every purchase is a waste of money concerning Dragonball.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:40 pm

There was a DVD release. Not of the Wide Screen, but we can expect one out. So? It would be worse than what you have. I cherish my 4:3 much more than the new Remastered, and the Remastered has "new box art" and crap like that. So? It's about the quality of the show, not the picture they put on the box. Though the Season Sets have a horrible color to them, they have some good looking art. So? Still trash.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:57 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:There was a DVD release. Not of the Wide Screen, but we can expect one out. So? It would be worse than what you have. I cherish my 4:3 much more than the new Remastered, and the Remastered has "new box art" and crap like that. So? It's about the quality of the show, not the picture they put on the box. Though the Season Sets have a horrible color to them, they have some good looking art. So? Still trash.
But it's been shown in this thread that these double features are FAR superior to the original Funi DVDs. For one, the Movies were always intended to be shown in 16:9, not 4:3, so these actually look a little bit better in 16:9 and the footage gained on the sides is actually meaningful and makes up for what's lost at the top and bottom. And also, the colors and such look so much better and are closer to the original, and we get the original music with the dub. Yes, it is a re-release, but it's a better one.
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Sat May 24, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Yeah but I'm talking about how I cherish the 4:3 series more than the "Remastered". As far as the movies, yeah they look great. Thing is though, a member was saying how if they release a Double Feature of the Broly movies on regular DVD, that it would be new and better than the Blu-Ray. No chance.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat May 24, 2008 11:07 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Yeah but I'm talking about how I cherish the 4:3 series more than the "Remastered". As far as the movies, yeah they look great. Thing is though, a member was saying how if they release a Double Feature of the Broly movies on regular DVD, that it would be new and better than the Blu-Ray. No chance.
Oh, then of course not. If I had enough money to make a choice between either Blu-Ray or standard, then I'd have to be on some serious dope to choose the latter.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun May 25, 2008 12:08 am

Chances are that the "Broly Double Feature" Blu-ray Disc was just something to test the waters. I'm sure that they'll maintain their current pace and release sets for movies 7 & 8, and 9 & 10 in both DVD and BD to maintain the current movie releases' uniformity. Not to mention it's a great ploy to get more money...

TheSonofKakarrot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheSonofKakarrot » Sun May 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Wow. I have to say that I love the way FUNi's version looks over the DBox. Why on Earth can't the season sets be done like this?

Anyway, thanks for the pics guys because I've definitely made my decision.

KillerCory
Beyond Newbie

Post by KillerCory » Mon May 26, 2008 10:27 am

Would you say that the Japanese audio quality is the same or worse than the dragon box releases?
Goku: "Look Vegeta! People popcorn!"
Vegeta: "What is he on?"

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 am

I think same?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 26, 2008 12:39 pm

shotkeeper wrote:I think same?
That would mean super-clear audio, because on the Dragonbox it sounds amazing.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon May 26, 2008 1:18 pm

shotkeeper wrote:I think same?
If these have the same sound-quality as the season-sets, which I assume they do, then no, the Dragonboxes sound far better. FUNi's releases have never really SOUNDED all that great. (At least they're better than ADV's Sailor Moon-sets though...)
As it is, FUNi's releases sound good enough, while the Dragonboxes sound fantastic. (Well, as fantastic as you can get with a mono-track...)

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon May 26, 2008 2:22 pm

This might be a stupid question but is the Dragonbox sound still Mono?

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Mon May 26, 2008 2:30 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:This might be a stupid question but is the Dragonbox sound still Mono?
Yes, the whole series is in mono only. The movie dragon box has the voices in mono, but the music and sfx are mixed into stereo. The 10th anniversary movie is fully in stereo.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Mon May 26, 2008 2:48 pm

Wow, seeing all these comparisons is exciting! I must say that each release (DragonBox and Remaster) has its pros and cons, but I am a follower of the Remaster sets since it's decent and an economical way to obtain the whole series on DVD. These Double Feature releases look way awesome. Can't wait to get to sleep tonight to go pick em up at Best Buy in the morning.

I just need to make sure to pick up a Blue-Ray player sometime soon before FUNi decides to re-re-re...re-release the season sets in that format. But hey, I can hope that those will be justified with proper music, insert songs, completely new scripts, and no shitty line shakes. *shrug*
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 am

Dunno if this has been touched upon yet, but I've noticed in the dub-with-Japanese-music track on World's Strongest, the BGM piece right before "Piccolo-san Da~i-suki" is missing. Weird. Speaking of the insert songs, the music that replaced them is...odd. Instead of just using straight-up instrumental versions of the songs (If such versions even exist, I'm not sure), but they sort of "modernized" the songs kind of like what they did for "Makafushigi Adventure" and "Romantic Ageruyo", and despite me liking how they did the former two songs, the redone movie insert songs don't sound nearly as good. Why they keep the ending songs but cut the opening and lyrical songs we'll never know.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed May 28, 2008 11:01 am

Alright, got the set. Here's what I've noticed.

- The insert songs have indeed been replaced by instrumental versions in the dub. However, the instrumental versions are not the official ones, but rather recreated ones by FUNi with new instruments/synthesizers. They don't sound quite as good, but they're better than nothing. Still don't see why they could've just used the damn songs like they did in 1997/98.

- The movie 2 dub does have the Pioneer sound effects, but they're not nearly as bad as I thought. See, the only dub of World's Strongest that I had seen prior to this was the TV version of the film, which had TONS of added sounds. It seemed like every time somebody moved there was some sort of added "boing" or something. Thankfully, it's very minor and I was very pleased.

- As previously mentioned, the 20-second-ish piece of music that plays before "Piccolo-san Dai~suke" has been removed from the dub as well. No idea why; maybe it was too close to the insert song's cue and FUNi accidentally removed it as well.

- The Hanna-Barbera sound when Gohan collapses in the Japanese version of movie 1 is finally gone, but I noticed a little bit of a breakup in the soundtrack about 10 seconds before the scene in question. Did anyone else notice this, or is it just with my disc?

- FUNimation doesn't use alternate angles anymore, so the only video that appears is the dub video, meaning the Japanese opening and ending videos, along with the Japanese title card for movie 2, is replaced with the English ones. No matter which language you listen to, the dub video appears. This isn't too big of a problem, unless you're just crazy about having to have the kanji credits. The title card for movie 2 is adapted into English perfectly. Since the title is basically the same for the movie in both languages, there's no reason to worry about not getting a proper translation. The special effects in the title card are kept as well (with the screen blinking like crazy), so it's like nothing was ever replaced. FUNi actually did a good job on it.

- I don't know if FUNi finally got it from Toei or if FUNi's paint editing crew has gotten way better, but either way, we finally have a textless version of the first animation for "Cha-La Head-Cha-La." Y'know, the one with the bunch of scenery images instead of characters? It's pretty darn awesome to finally have it creditless.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with this release. The Eng-with-Jap-music audio mix for Dead Zone is perfect, IMO. In World's Strongest, the dialogue kinda overpowers the music a little, but everything's still easy to hear. That's all I can remember to report on for now. If anyone has any more questions, just ask and I'll answer them ASAP.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Wed May 28, 2008 1:27 pm

This is probably the best version of movies 1 & 2 that I've seen. The Pioneer DVDs were excellent in terms of script, but I like the Funi voice cast (especially since these were just recorded in 2005-2006, so they sound 'right'). The video on my new 19" LCD TV is magnificent, and the audio from my speakers is also remarkably good. I liked the instrumental version of the insert song from movie 1 as well.

The widescreen thing works better for the movies than it does for the show. The movies may be 4:3, but they were shown in widescreen in Japan at some point, and I believe that this indicates that Toei was more conscious of ensuring that everything appeared in the middle so as not to be cropped when that time would come.

I just wanted to add my two cents: this, as has been said before, is an extremely competent release by Funimation. Yes, they could have used the Japanese opening and title card, and the replacement of the insert songs was more of a compromise than anything else, but it all seemed to work nicely. Can't wait for 3 & 4!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm

xzero wrote:This is probably the best version of movies 1 & 2 that I've seen. The Pioneer DVDs were excellent in terms of script, but I like the Funi voice cast (especially since these were just recorded in 2005-2006, so they sound 'right').
Well, FUNi did keep the Pioneer scripts for these two, so it's all good. Unless they do some (more) redubbing, Tree of Might's script is horrendous, though. Good thing I grabbed the Pioneer one when I saw it the other week.
The widescreen thing works better for the movies than it does for the show. The movies may be 4:3, but they were shown in widescreen in Japan at some point, and I believe that this indicates that Toei was more conscious of ensuring that everything appeared in the middle so as not to be cropped when that time would come.

That's exactly the reasoning. The movies were animated in 4:3, but with the intention of being "cropped" into widescreen. So everything lines up perfectly. In fact, sometimes they look worse in 4:3.

About the sound, it's a bummer that the insert songs weren't able to be kept in the JP BGM dub, but the fact that they mixed up instrumental versions of them instead is a very nice and appreciated gesture, and makes up for it, in my opinion. If we really wanna hear them, then the all-Japanese is just a single button-click away.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!