Movies 1 and 2 Blu-ray and DVD Editions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed May 28, 2008 6:33 pm

To be honest, I was kind of hoping they'd have Stephanie Nadolny come in and sing and ENG Version of "I love Piccolo-san". :lol:
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed May 28, 2008 8:16 pm

And "Tenkaichi Gohan." That would have been awesome; it's sad they didn't go all the way with recreating the songs. What makes it even sadder is that Stephanie Nadolny can actually sing very well. She sings a bunch of dub openings/endings for other FUNimation shows.

Not sure how well she'd sing in character as Gohan, though.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 pm

It would have been cool if she did sing. There would be some confused fans thinking that Gohan is a broadway star, then the other fans would complain saying Gohan never did any of these, nor did he ever have a good singing voice. If Funimation did that, they would have a bigger mess with fans then they did with the season sets. Maybe that's why Funimation didn't have Stephanie whatever her last name is, perform.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu May 29, 2008 12:04 am

MagicBox wrote:Not sure how well she'd sing in character as Gohan, though.
True, but it's not meant to be a spectacular performace. It's meant to be a funny. Plus it's not like Nozawa sounds like she could cut a CD, lol.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 am

I don't know whether this has been answered or not, but are the blu rays region free?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu May 29, 2008 9:18 am

To be honest, I was kind of hoping they'd have Stephanie Nadolny come in and sing and ENG Version of "I love Piccolo-san".
Yea, that would have been nice. I don't know what's up with this crap about only having the (Japanese) songs with lyrics. Iam going to go out on a limb and just say perhaps (just throwing this out there...) the deal they came to with Toei is the only way they could have the song with lyrics is if the song was actually credited on screen by the original artist or company that holds the rights to it while the song is actually playing. Cause the ending themes are the only time the song is credited and have lyrics with the (Japanese) song. Is that even something companies do?

Anyway, here is my (pretty crappy this time) dissection...

Back of the Blu-Ray box...

For some reason they credit the original release (woot) but show the cover art for there own release a few years back (opposite of woot). The big text on the bottom was a zoom in I did, it's not actually that big.

And finally, a movie clip of the Blu-Ray menu. I think it's pretty cool. Please don't use this to compare quality. It was already recorded on a crappy digital camera then downsized to fit on Youtube.com...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLnc5DMAmQ

That clicking you hear in the background is my cousin on the coumputer, sorry. And also, sorry about the camera moving, I didn't really notice until I watched the Wii Sensor Bar on top of my TV in the video. :oops:

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 pm

Kula wrote:I don't know whether this has been answered or not, but are the blu rays region free?
I believe there are 3 Bluray regions:
http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?page=info

Quick country/territory reference guide to Blu-Ray Regions:
Region A: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia.
Region B: Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Region C: India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central and South Asia.

The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu May 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Well done FUNI. The only one of your remastered products I had planned to buy and it's locked to Region A.

When will we finally do away with pointless region codes?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu May 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Kula wrote:Well done FUNI. The only one of your remastered products I had planned to buy and it's locked to Region A.

When will we finally do away with pointless region codes?
You could just get a Region A Bluray DVD player.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu May 29, 2008 1:43 pm

So, since region A is for the United States and Japan does that mean if Toei were to release DragonBall on Blu-Ray, we (USA) would be able to play it with no problem? :shock:

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri May 30, 2008 12:04 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:So, since region A is for the United States and Japan does that mean if Toei were to release DragonBall on Blu-Ray, we (USA) would be able to play it with no problem? :shock:
That is EXACTLY what it means. :D

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Fri May 30, 2008 2:10 am

Does the PS3 play all 3 reigons?
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri May 30, 2008 10:51 am

No, PS3 can only play one region. Most of the Blu-ray disks at the beginning were region free and some of the major companies were/still are trying to just get rid of it. But unfortunately it still exists.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri May 30, 2008 11:31 pm

As much as it may not be a big deal to some I really am not sitting too well with not having the alternate angles, especially since Funi always used to do it. I mean if they are going to do away with the original title cards, then they had better get the movie titles right or in the same spirit as the original since many of them aren't. Even though "The World's Strongest" and "The World's Strongest Guy" are in the same spirit, the shit in the later movies like "Bojack Unbound" and "Super Android 13" just aren't. And since all of the OP's are textless now, that also means that movie 3 isn't going to have the special OP where Gohan and Kuririn look for the Dragonballs since they'll use the standard textless one like they did in the First Strike set...:?
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri May 30, 2008 11:39 pm

Vekurotto wrote:As much as it may not be a big deal to some I really am not sitting too well with not having the alternate angles, especially since Funi always used to do it. I mean if they are going to do away with the original title cards, then they had better get the movie titles right or in the same spirit as the original since many of them aren't. Even though "The World's Strongest" and "The World's Strongest Guy" are in the same spirit, the shit in the later movies like "Bojack Unbound" and "Super Android 13" just aren't. And since all of the OP's are textless now, that also means that movie 3 isn't going to have the special OP where Gohan and Kuririn look for the Dragonballs since they'll use the standard textless one like they did in the First Strike set...:?
NOOOOOO! I love the alternate angles. If that's how it is when it comes out then I am so sending a letter to Funimation voicing my not-so-happy thoughts! :evil:

BrollysKin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrollysKin » Sat May 31, 2008 6:45 am

Son Wukong wrote:No, PS3 can only play one region. Most of the Blu-ray disks at the beginning were region free and some of the major companies were/still are trying to just get rid of it. But unfortunately it still exists.
Thank you for the clarification.
Like Star Wars? Like Podcasts?
Check out the Star Wars Action News Forums: www.swactionnews.com

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat May 31, 2008 12:24 pm

No alternate angles? Nice job, EffTheNation.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat May 31, 2008 12:34 pm

bkev wrote:No alternate angles? Nice job, EffTheNation.
Seeing how One Piece doesn't have any alternate angles either, this didn't surprise me. FUNi seems to have dropped them. However, this IS annoying, especially for movie 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11, where the dub-title directly mentions the villain whose name is spelled differently in the subs... They should have gone with the japanese title-screens instead of the dub-ones if they were only gonna have one. That's what all the other companies do...

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:01 pm

Since the DVDs no longer have alternate angles, will the dub credits credit the Japanese staff more than on the previous releases? Or will the Japanese cast credits not even be on the disks; even in Japanese.

Also, does anyone know if Season 5 has alternate angles?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat May 31, 2008 3:38 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:Actually, no. I am tired of you elitist fucks and your "OMG DBOX PWNS ALL HURF DURF!"

{silly crying removed}

I wish you would all shut the fuck up and stop making useless comparison threads that only result in flaming and massive amounts of bitching and whining. If you want to be an elitist douchebag, go ahead and spend a ridiculous amount of money importing the R2 releases, just quit complaining about something that you (supposedly) don't even care about. I mean, shit, there were complints about the One Piece DVDs even. People were bitching about how the DUB opening didn't have the sound effects. I mean, does it really matter!?
You seem to have issue with my opinion? If you would have read my entire post in that thread that was locked, I have an alternate purchase in mind. Which is why I'm not getting these new releases. The Dragonbox Movies has the colors that I like, So I'm getting that one from Yahoo Japan Auctions. Also, I can get the other movies at bargain prices now. I refuse to buy all the movies 3 times. Your last paragraph makes little sense, so I won't respond to that

{Note to Webmaster. You said take our reponses to the correct thread, so that is what I have done. Feel free to remove this post if it's out of line}