TV Anime Special II Vegeta Manga!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

TV Anime Special II Vegeta Manga!

Post by Mike » Sat May 24, 2008 6:26 pm

Hello everyone,

I remember a few months back someone here posted scans of the "In the Name of Piccolo Daimao" manga and everyone worked together to translate it. Well since then, I've been searching like crazy to find these books and actually managed to locate a copy of the second anime special. (For a good price too!)

So without further ado, I present you with full images of the Vegeta special manga.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v243/ ... a%20Manga/

Note: I'm sorry that the quality of the images isn't better, but the pages were too big for me to scan and I also didn't want to destroy the already fragile book's spine while taking pictures.

Enjoy! :D
-Mike

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat May 24, 2008 6:30 pm

Goddamnit. Now I have more projects to work on. And I've got to fucking pack too! :x

Thanks! :)

-edit-
Yeah, you don't want to break the book - but do you think you could get some better images of the pages? Try scanning each page in halfs (don't put down the flat-bed top, or it might crease the page.). Thanks again!

Also - damnit! So much to do!

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Sat May 24, 2008 6:34 pm

I'll see what I can do, but it might take a little time.

Get translating! :D :wink:
-Mike

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat May 24, 2008 6:43 pm

Oh goody! Thanks so much for putting these up. I'll get to work on it right away.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat May 24, 2008 7:00 pm

Mike wrote:I'll see what I can do, but it might take a little time.
Get translating! :D :wink:
-Mike
Thanks, again.
Herms wrote:Oh goody! Thanks so much for putting these up. I'll get to work on it right away.
*cough*cough*cough*

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Sat May 24, 2008 7:31 pm

Alright, I scanned each page two times (first the top half, then the bottom) and I suppose the images look better than the original photos. They're still a little blurry down the spine, but I can't do much better.

I noticed that photobucket automatically resizes the images much smaller, so does anyone know a place where I can simply upload the original (huge) images? I'd like to do this for both the photos as well as the scans. It should be a lot easier to translate with the original size images.

-Mike

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat May 24, 2008 7:36 pm

Mike wrote:Alright, I scanned each page two times (first the top half, then the bottom) and I suppose the images look better than the original photos. They're still a little blurry down the spine, but I can't do much better.

I noticed that photobucket automatically resizes the images much smaller, so does anyone know a place where I can simply upload the original (huge) images? I'd like to do this for both the photos as well as the scans. It should be a lot easier to translate with the original size images.

-Mike
www.imageshack.us doesn't auto-resize, but you're probably better off zipping them up and throwing it on www.rapidshare.com

-edit-
And thanks again.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat May 24, 2008 7:45 pm

AWESOME MAN!!! Thanks. Man I love that color younger Vegeta. Nice hair.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Yeah, I'm having trouble reading most of the pages at the size they are now. But here's page 1:

[title] High Pride! The Saiya Prince Vegeta
Story: Takao Koyama
Pictures: Minoru Maeda

[note that the title says "Saiya" rather than "Saiyan". This is because in the Japanese it says saiya rather than saiya-jin. I don't really know why it's like that. At the end of the story, Vegeta says the title almost word for word, except he actually does say saiya-jin, not saiya like in the title. Weird.]

[top] Vegeta fell into despair during the battle with Freeza. But his obsession to surpass Goku and become the strongest warrior, then defeat Freeza and become the ruler of the universe did not relax even in death, and he vowed to come back to life!!

[bottom] Impossible...aren't I supposed to be dead...?” Inside Vegeta's head, the scene where he was all too easily finished off by Freeza constantly replayed. “When you die, doesn't everything become nothing and you lose consciousness?” Indeed, his surroundings were enveloped in darkness, and he couldn't even tell if he had his own body. However, Vegeta was steadily conscious. Having floated to the gateway to the world after death, inside his head Vegeta now continuously recalled his lifetime filled with battle and slaughter.

desirecampbell wrote:*cough*cough*cough*
Oh man. Are those new or have they been up on your site for awhile and I just never noticed? Well, I'll do those too.
Last edited by Herms on Tue May 27, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat May 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Herms wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:*cough*cough*cough*
Oh man. Are those new or have they been up on your site for awhile and I just never noticed? Well, I'll do those too.
Vegetto EX sent me them literally minutes before this Mike posted this thread.

Anyone else named Mike want to send me manga scans? :P

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Heh. Atheist Vegeta.

Good job so far.
Trunks & Goten forever

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Sat May 24, 2008 8:11 pm

desirecampbell wrote: Vegetto EX sent me them literally minutes before this Mike posted this thread.
Heh, awesome. :D

I uploaded everything to rapidshare. I hope this is the correct link.

http://rapidshare.com/files/117388435/Vegeta.zip.html

Let me know if it isn't.

-Mike

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat May 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Mike wrote:I uploaded everything to rapidshare. I hope this is the correct link.
http://rapidshare.com/files/117388435/Vegeta.zip.html
Let me know if it isn't.
-Mike
Much better, I was a little worried about the spine-side text, but the photos seemed to catch 'em better. Hopefully Herms can read it okay.

And, thanks again :)

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 24, 2008 9:20 pm

I downloaded the new scans and I can read everything pretty much perfectly, except for the the start of the bottom paragraph on page two. But here's the rest of page two:

[top] The fighting race Saiyans had their base on Planet Vegeta.

Born as their prince, Vegeta boasted an extraordinary battle power from the time he was born, and the Saiyans gossiped that “Without a doubt, Prince Vegeta is the legendary Super Saiyan”.

And then after having become a bundle of pride as he matured, before Vegeta appeared Freeza.

"Hoh...you are Vegeta-san? Even for a little boy, you have a fairly good look to you. Do please work for me...ho ho ho...” Standing before Freeza for the first time, Vegeta harbored a feeling of physical revulsion. That tender demeanor, that polite way of speaking, and that mysterious voice all rubbed him the wrong way. Furthermore, Vegeta could not endure how his father, the king of the Saiyans, meekly obeyed Freeza. He had wanted to forgive him.

"Someday, I'll kill him!!” From their first meeting, a hatred for Freeza and the desire to kill him sprouted within Vegeta's young heart.

[bottom] From then on, for many years Vegeta pretended to obediently serve Freeza, intently polishing his strength and raising his battle power...

At that time, having on Freeza's orders attacked a distant planet and exterminated its people, Vegeta's scouter picked up a startling transmission from Nappa.

"Vegeta-sama, can you hear me?”

"What is it?”

"Just now, a transmission has come in from Freeza-sama...it seems that Planet Vegeta has been wiped out.”

"Oh...”

Answering without surprise, Vegeta's face was frighteningly expressionless.

"It collided with a gigantic meteorite or something, and including us there are very few surviving Saiyans.”

"Hmm...the king is dead as well?...”

As Vegeta just barely smiled, he came to a decision.

"I won't let myself just be used and disposed of like the king!! Someday I'll defeat Freeza, no matter what it takes!!”
Last edited by Herms on Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Page 3
[top right] While dreaming intently of the day he would defeat Freeza, Vegeta followed Freeza's orders and attacked numerous planets together with Nappa, fighting many warriors and overcoming countless brushes with death. While greatly utilizing the Saiyans' special characteristic of having their power increase each time they came back from the brink of death, Vegeta grew steadily.

[top left] Of course neither Nappa, who always obeyed Vegeta like his shadow, now Goku's older brother Raditz, nor the other alien warriors who worked under Freeza were any match for Vegeta. His battle power had risen that much.

"Nappa, the Saiyans truly were born to fight.”

Vegeta was full of confidence.

[bottom] “Vegeta-san, you're doing a very good job. Let me applaud you.”

Freeza openly praised Vegeta. However, Freeza's aides Zarbon and Dodoria, as well as the members of the Ginyu Special-Squad, clearly treated him like a child.

"Good work for a brat”

At Dodoria's words, Freeza's alien warrior underling instinctively nodded in approval. The next instant, Vegeta fired an energy bullet and the alien underling was turned to dust before he could even scream.

"Bastard!!”

Even Dodoria and the others went pale. But as he braced himself for a fight, Vegeta shouted:

"I won't forgive anyone who injures the pride of the Saiyans, even if they are Freeza's underling!!”

In an instant, the tension ran high. But with a smile on his lips, with a few words Freeza separated the pair:

"That's enough hotheadedness. Hohoho...Right, Dodoria-san? Vegeta-san?”

In his heart Vegeta changed, and he burned with animosity towards Freeza.
Last edited by Herms on Tue May 27, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat May 24, 2008 10:17 pm

Toei has so much untapped material for Dragonball. This and the Piccolo side story just as easy could be OVAs.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat May 24, 2008 10:59 pm

This is good stuff. X3 I've always wanted to read the Vegeta short story.
Thank you for sharing.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 24, 2008 11:05 pm

Page 4
[panel 1] Vegeta was even more determined to assassinate Freeza, but Freeza's power was unimaginable.

One day, Vegeta witnessed an event that made him quiver in fear from the bottom of his heart. Against the warriors of a planet that had tried to oppose Freeza, Freeza blew them up together with their entire planet with a single gigantic energy ball that he fired from his index finger. Vegeta's whole body broke out in goosebumps.

"He's a monster...”

Seeing the difference in power between himself and Freeza, Vegeta tasted frustration for the fist time in his life. Before Freeza, who was far too powerful, Vegete determined that all he could do was wait.

[panel 2] While intently waiting for that time, Vegeta grew into a young man. Just like always, while pretending to be obedient to Freeza, every day he worked as a planetary land shark together with Nappa.

One day he received a stupendous report over his scouter, in exchange for the life of Raditz, who had gone to Earth.

"They're called dragonballs or something...It seems that they grant any wish. Alright Nappa, let's go!”

"To restore Raditz to life?”

"Don't joke around. How about we obtain eternal life and enjoy everlasting battle?”

As he said that to Nappa, in his innermost thoughts he thought “If I had eternal life, defeating Freeza wouldn't be an impossibility!”, and snickered. This was his chance!!

[panel 3] Seeking the dragonballs, Vegeta came to Earth with Nappa. And then, he had his fateful meeting with the Saiyan Kakarot, which is to say Son Goku.

Vegeta made fun of Goku, who was supposed to be a dunce low-level warrior. However, having trained under Kaio, Goku's power [break between right and left] was completely different than when he fought Raditz.

Even Nappa was soon like a baby before Goku...he couldn't even scratch him. Vegeta mercilessly killed Nappa. Weak Saiyans have no right or qualification to continue living.

[panel 4; top paragraph] His battle with Goku was the first thing in Vegeta's life that could appropriately be called a death-match.

"I'm-impossible...he's surpassed my battle power!! I am a super elite!! There's no way I can be beaten up by this low-level warrior!! I am the best in the universe!!” Vegeta was shocked to be bleeding from the mouth for the first time.

[panel 4; bottom paragraph] Having to struggle before Goku's attacks, Vegeta finally created an artificial full moon, became an oozaru, then came after Goku.

"You should regret loosing your tail!! Kakarot!!”

However, through Gohan, Kuririn, and Yajirobe giving their assistance, Vegeta was beaten for the first time.
Last edited by Herms on Mon May 26, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Here's Page 5. I can't figure out what the "not picking measures to win" line is supposed to mean, and so far I can't figure out this one adjective, but there was nothing wrong scan-wise.

[panel 1] Vegeta rode in his space-pod for 18 days. He returned half dead to Planet Freeza No.79. He overflowed with hatred towards Goku for taking pity on him and letting him escape, as well as humiliation at having been beaten by a low-level warrior. Using his life-support system to just barely keep himself alive, Vegeta lost consciousness. However, inside his mind Goku's form rose to the surface. It was the form of Son Goku, his rival who had thoroughly wounded his pride as the prince of the Saiyans.

"Kakarot, I will go to Earth again and defeat you, no matter what!!”

[panel 2] [top paragraph] However, Vegeta's rematch did not occur on Earth. This was because the battleground was moved to Planet Namek. Before the tremendous power of the Ginyu Special-Squad, Vegeta had no choice but to join forces with his rival's son Son Gohan, and Kuririn. Vegeta's tactics were first-rate.

"After I become a Super Saiyan and defeat Freeza, I'll deal with the Earthlings at my leisure!!”

[bottom paragraph] The Ginyu Special-Squad were as formidable as expected. However, with the powerful assistance of Goku, who arrived late, even Captain Ginyu was turned into a frog, and they somehow won.

Only Freeza remained.

Vegeta had no choice but to join forces with Goku. To win against Freeza, all there was was Freeza's single fear, that of “Saiyans conspiring together”.

[panel 3] Vegeta saw Goku's way of fighting, and overwhelmed at his unfathomable power he thought “Could it be that Kakarot will become the Super Saiyan?”and became uncharacteristically faint-hearted.

However, he soon thought “No, Kakarot is unusually soft. As I thought, the one to become Super Saiyan is me, born prince of the Saiyans!!”

"I won't lose to Kakarot!! I'll defeat Freeza!!”
Last edited by Herms on Tue May 27, 2008 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sat May 24, 2008 11:55 pm

Thanks a ton for sharing this! Ever since, "In the name of Piccolo Daimaoh" made its way to out boards I've been looking forward to the others, particularly the Vegeta one. Thanks a ton!

[Oh the things I'd do if I had control of Viz...]