The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Don't know, because in DB Mr. Sabat's Piccolo was excellent. I think like his Vegeta, he did him better when he was an evil bastard.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:52 am

Super Sonic wrote:Don't know, because in DB Mr. Sabat's Piccolo was excellent. I think like his Vegeta, he did him better when he was an evil bastard.
I love Sabat's Piccolo Daimao. And I don't mind Sabat's Z Piccolo, either. Just don't like it as much as McNeil.

Honestly, I quite like Sabat. I think his Piccolo, Vegeta, and Yamcha are distinct enough from each other. And I like his Jigen, even if it isn't my favorite version of the character.

My favorite Sabat moments are as Son Gohan, though. First time I watched the conclusion to Baba's tournament in English, I got teary eyed and weepy. Stephanie Nadolny brought the awesome, too.

Rory
I Live Here

Re: The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a

Post by Rory » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:42 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:He wasn't being an elitist because of his hate for Faulconer's music. He was being an elitist because he said he wouldn't take Rory's opinions seriously anymore because Rory likes Faulconer's music.
Sorry, just clearing things up, it was the OP that he wouldn't take seriously no more, just annoyed me a little bit, I don't hate Faulconers music, but at the same time, I don't like it. I was just annoyed because just because somebody likes something different to you, doesn't give you the right to pretty much mock their opinion. Peace out.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:36 pm

I'd love an entire Re-Dub of DB/Z/GT from scratch. Acurate script, DBOX footage...Mmmm...Yummy. Plus not having to hear Sabat's older Vegeta and having him in his newer Vegeta voice wuld be awesome. If they were to fully Re-Dub it, I don't think there's any way that they could change the Main Dub Cast. There would be an uproar. Regardless of some people's ill feelings towards some of the cast, these people have been playing the roles for about 10 Years now. I don't think they're going anywhere, lol.

Besides, at this point people are pretty much solidified in the Dub Vs.JP preference. Even if they were to re-cast DB like they did with OP, those of you who prefer the JP version wouldn't watch the Re-Dub that much. Just to see how they handled certain things. While us Dub fans would be left sad because we don't have the voices that WE love.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:49 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I'd love an entire Re-Dub of DB/Z/GT from scratch. Acurate script, DBOX footage...Mmmm...Yummy. Plus not having to hear Sabat's older Vegeta and having him in his newer Vegeta voice wuld be awesome. If they were to fully Re-Dub it, I don't think there's any way that they could change the Main Dub Cast. There would be an uproar. Regardless of some people's ill feelings towards some of the cast, these people have been playing the roles for about 10 Years now. I don't think they're going anywhere, lol.

Besides, at this point people are pretty much solidified in the Dub Vs.JP preference. Even if they were to re-cast DB like they did with OP, those of you who prefer the JP version wouldn't watch the Re-Dub that much. Just to see how they handled certain things. While us Dub fans would be left sad because we don't have the voices that WE love.
If they were to do a re-dub from scratch with a very accurate script, I'd have high hopes for it. However, they'd have to reinterpret some of the voices to get more of the essence of the Japanese voices. I know you can't really get exact matches for the males of the Son family, but I'd like to hear characters like Vegeta, Piccolo, Kaio, and Krillin sound more like their Japanese counterparts.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:18 pm

Kendamu wrote:If they were to do a re-dub from scratch with a very accurate script, I'd have high hopes for it. However, they'd have to reinterpret some of the voices to get more of the essence of the Japanese voices. I know you can't really get exact matches for the males of the Son family, but I'd like to hear characters like Vegeta, Piccolo, Kaio, and Krillin sound more like their Japanese counterparts.
I agree with Vegeta, Piccolo, and especially Kaio, but I really think that given the distinct voice Mayumi Tanaka gave Kuririn in the original version, Sonny Strait is probably the best English voice you're going to find for the role. Sure, he doesn't really sound like Mayumi Tanaka at all, but he stays true to the spirit of the character quite nicely, which I think is much more important than just finding an actor that sounds like the original. Performance and character-wise, he's about as perfect as one could ask for.

I know I'll probably be in the minority on this, but if a complete redub were to happen, I'd like most of the English cast to remain as-is. Sure, I'd like huge failures like Sean Schemmel's Kaio and Linda Young's Freeza to be changed, but I'm so used to the Texas cast that I grew up with that it'd be wierd to hear them changed in favor of a third English cast. Plus, there's the fact that FUNi pretty much nailed a bunch of characters voice-wise (Mr. Satan, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Kuririn, Babidi, Oolong, etc.) and I'd hate to see those actors dumped.

I think a better approach to a new redub would be if FUNi kept their current actors, but just had better voice directors that actually strived to keep the integrity of the original characters intact. We'd see a world of difference in performance then. I honestly believe that with better voice direction and better attack pronunciation, Sean Schemmel could be the most perfect Goku the English-speaking world has seen thus-far.

Given the fact that the Texas cast has been doing the dub since 98, back when bad dubs were pretty much still the standard for anime in America, they really don't do that bad of a job. Better scripts and better direction is really all I think it would need to get a satisfying DBZ dub out of FUNimation's cast. Again, I'm probably in the minority, but still.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:28 pm

MagicBox wrote:
Kendamu wrote:If they were to do a re-dub from scratch with a very accurate script, I'd have high hopes for it. However, they'd have to reinterpret some of the voices to get more of the essence of the Japanese voices. I know you can't really get exact matches for the males of the Son family, but I'd like to hear characters like Vegeta, Piccolo, Kaio, and Krillin sound more like their Japanese counterparts.
I agree with Vegeta, Piccolo, and especially Kaio, but I really think that given the distinct voice Mayumi Tanaka gave Kuririn in the original version, Sonny Strait is probably the best English voice you're going to find for the role. Sure, he doesn't really sound like Mayumi Tanaka at all, but he stays true to the spirit of the character quite nicely, which I think is much more important than just finding an actor that sounds like the original. Performance and character-wise, he's about as perfect as one could ask for.
I was thinking the same thing, but that's why I was talking about the "essence" of the Japanese voices as well. They don't have to be exact matches. They just have to convey the point accurately. Cowboy Bebop would be a good example of something I like in both languages due to the English cast getting the "essence" down really well.
I know I'll probably be in the minority on this, but if a complete redub were to happen, I'd like most of the English cast to remain as-is. Sure, I'd like huge failures like Sean Schemmel's Kaio and Linda Young's Freeza to be changed, but I'm so used to the Texas cast that I grew up with that it'd be wierd to hear them changed in favor of a third English cast. Plus, there's the fact that FUNi pretty much nailed a bunch of characters voice-wise (Mr. Satan, Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Kuririn, Babidi, Oolong, etc.) and I'd hate to see those actors dumped.
Thinking about it, I agree on some of those points. I don't think that FUNi would have to dump their entire cast. However, for example, if Sabat were going to continue being Vegeta, he'd have to reinterpret his voice to appease my tastes.
I think a better approach to a new redub would be if FUNi kept their current actors, but just had better voice directors that actually strived to keep the integrity of the original characters intact. We'd see a world of difference in performance then. I honestly believe that with better voice direction and better attack pronunciation, Sean Schemmel could be the most perfect Goku the English-speaking world has seen thus-far.

Given the fact that the Texas cast has been doing the dub since 98, back when bad dubs were pretty much still the standard for anime in America, they really don't do that bad of a job. Better scripts and better direction is really all I think it would need to get a satisfying DBZ dub out of FUNimation's cast. Again, I'm probably in the minority, but still.
Like I said, I partially agree. I don't think they necessarily need to bring new people on or fire a large number of the old people. I just think some reinterpretations need to be done and some recasting needs to be done. For example, Schemmel could keep Goku for all I care. However, give someone else Kaio. Sabat could come up with a new Vegeta voice and they could let someone else be Piccolo. While Lunda Young is defintely not how I think of Freeza speaking, Linda could easily fill some other roles.
(they/she)

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:29 pm

See, my favorite part about different languages for shows are the different interpretations of the actors on the characters. So to ask the Texas cast to try and sound more like their Japanese counterpart would be the same as asking them to, I dunno, sound like their Ocean dub counterpart? :wink: And we all know how bad that sounded.

No, I'd much rather, if any sort of redub happened, that the actors kept playing it their way. While I prefer that Japanese version, that's only because of script and music. Though I do love the Japanese voices very much (especially Vegeta and Freeza), as they're the voices I've been hearing since I was 11 (I'm 20, so nine years). But I do quite like the Texas casts re imaginations of the voices.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:39 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:
See, my favorite part about different languages for shows are the different interpretations of the actors on the characters. So to ask the Texas cast to try and sound more like their Japanese counterpart would be the same as asking them to, I dunno, sound like their Ocean dub counterpart? :wink: And we all know how bad that sounded.

No, I'd much rather, if any sort of redub happened, that the actors kept playing it their way. While I prefer that Japanese version, that's only because of script and music. Though I do love the Japanese voices very much (especially Vegeta and Freeza), as they're the voices I've been hearing since I was 11 (I'm 20, so nine years). But I do quite like the Texas casts re imaginations of the voices.
You musta been typing this up while I was typing up my latest response. Again, I use Cowboy Bebop as an example. The voices aren't exact in most cases. Sometimes they're not even similar. Look at Spike or Vicious! They don't sound like their Japanese counterparts, but they get the essence of the character across beautifully.

When I watch the Japanese version, I can take Kaio halfways seriously when he's trying to be serious. However, when Kaio's voice sounds no different than "Goku with his mouth full" I can't ever take him seriously at all. It takes away from like half of his character. So, while he doesn't need to be sounding exactly like Japanese Kaio, I would like to see at least an interpretation that gave off the same feeling as the Japanese version.

It's similar with Vegeta. His deep and scratchy "growling" voice kind of turns his arrogance and confidence into psychosis or whining (depending on the situation). I can still tell that he's an arrogant and confident guy, but it's not nearly as apparent in the dub. I'd like to see that voice re-approached. I'm confident that Sabat could do it, too. He wouldn't have to lose his job as Vegeta to get what I want.

There are others, too, but those are just two examples I chose.
(they/she)

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:41 pm

I really think that the majority of the cast is fine. As previously stated, Kaio and Freeza have to go, but for the most part, I like everything as is. Schemmel is my favorite English version Goku (especially in more recent performances). I don't have a PROBLEM with Sabat's Piccolo or Vegeta, they just sound way too similar to one another. If this was changed, I wouldn't care.

I think the only other voice I've never been sold on was Tiffany Vollmer's Bulma. It felt awfully forced at times for me. But going by Funi's current roster, I'd enjoy seeing someone like maybe Caitlin Glass give the role a go.

With changes like that, plus a better script, I think a Funi-dubbed DBZ would be A+.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:54 pm

I would actually settle for just an accurate script, but I'd love some voice reinterpretation to go with it.
(they/she)

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote:

You musta been typing this up while I was typing up my latest response. Again, I use Cowboy Bebop as an example. The voices aren't exact in most cases. Sometimes they're not even similar. Look at Spike or Vicious! They don't sound like their Japanese counterparts, but they get the essence of the character across beautifully.

When I watch the Japanese version, I can take Kaio halfways seriously when he's trying to be serious. However, when Kaio's voice sounds no different than "Goku with his mouth full" I can't ever take him seriously at all. It takes away from like half of his character. So, while he doesn't need to be sounding exactly like Japanese Kaio, I would like to see at least an interpretation that gave off the same feeling as the Japanese version.

It's similar with Vegeta. His deep and scratchy "growling" voice kind of turns his arrogance and confidence into psychosis or whining (depending on the situation). I can still tell that he's an arrogant and confident guy, but it's not nearly as apparent in the dub. I'd like to see that voice re-approached. I'm confident that Sabat could do it, too. He wouldn't have to lose his job as Vegeta to get what I want.

Again, I think it's their varied interpretations and different sounding voices that make it interesting to have more than one version. But I respect your side too, and probably wouldn't mind if they did redo some of the interpretations a bit. . . as long as Schemmel's Goku was the same.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:20 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote: See, my favorite part about different languages for shows are the different interpretations of the actors on the characters. So to ask the Texas cast to try and sound more like their Japanese counterpart would be the same as asking them to, I dunno, sound like their Ocean dub counterpart? :wink: And we all know how bad that sounded.

Again, I think it's their varied interpretations and different sounding voices that make it interesting to have more than one version. But I respect your side too, and probably wouldn't mind if they did redo some of the interpretations a bit. . . as long as Schemmel's Goku was the same.
I don't mind Schemmel's Goku. He's not my favorite, but he's not a bad Goku.
(they/she)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Mass-recasting is a pretty big insult. While I may not like Linda Young as Freeza--and truth be told I cannot recollect disliking any other voices in FUNimation's version--we must keep in mind that she was hired to copy the Ocean voice and as such we are sort of stuck with her.

Additionally, I would say Sabat keeps enough distinctiveness in his thirty or so voices on DB/Z/GT to not need any 'recasting'. If I remember correctly he already gave up Gyû Maô and Tenshinhan in addition to Nappa. If I could describe how he voices Vegeta is would be mainly from the back of his throat and he sort of adds a roundness to his projection, sometimes this varies. If you look at his Yamcha voice it is essentially his own, but 'varied' depending on how it is he delivers the line, emotionally and volume-wise. Looking at Piccolo, he sort of digs down real deep and adds a lot of bass to it adding an almost strong, royal calm to it. If only the scripts were written like the early Viz Manga, seriously that speech pattern plus recent Piccolo would be awesom!

So Schemmel's finally begun to pronounce Kaiô right? I need a Youtube clip!!!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:03 pm

Kendamu wrote:However, for example, if Sabat were going to continue being Vegeta, he'd have to reinterpret his voice to appease my tastes.
This is the point I'm getting at in favor of not changing a thing about the cast...If they were to rework Vegeta to appease the tastes of JP fans, would that suddenly make you switch to watching the Dub as opposed to the Original? No. It wouldn't be fair to Dub fans of 10 years...Suddenly your taking a series that's already run it's main stream course in America and the only people you're reaching out to are the standing fanbase. So now all of the sudden you're changing Vegeta to please people who won't be watching the dub and screwing over those who will.

I think Sabat's interpritation of Vegeta is perfect. Horikawa takes the more royal and pompus sounding tone while Sabat takes the more arrogant tone. To me Vegeta is arrogant first and pompus second so Sabat's Vegeta works for me.

As for Freeza & King Kai...I think Schemmel's Kai works fine. He is soley a comic relief character really. Thus the voice works well for such a character.

With Freeza, I agree that the voice is unsuiting in every way...Yet I'd still miss it, lol...

If they were to recast Freeza, do you guys think Brad Jackson (Doing his King Cold voice) would be well suited?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Lavendar Saiyan, you pretty much made an excelent point I agree with. And yeah, though I like Linda Young and her Frieza grew on me, I still think guy who did King Cold would've been an excellent Frieza.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:52 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:
Kendamu wrote:However, for example, if Sabat were going to continue being Vegeta, he'd have to reinterpret his voice to appease my tastes.
This is the point I'm getting at in favor of not changing a thing about the cast...If they were to rework Vegeta to appease the tastes of JP fans, would that suddenly make you switch to watching the Dub as opposed to the Original? No. It wouldn't be fair to Dub fans of 10 years...Suddenly your taking a series that's already run it's main stream course in America and the only people you're reaching out to are the standing fanbase. So now all of the sudden you're changing Vegeta to please people who won't be watching the dub and screwing over those who will.

I think Sabat's interpritation of Vegeta is perfect. Horikawa takes the more royal and pompus sounding tone while Sabat takes the more arrogant tone. To me Vegeta is arrogant first and pompus second so Sabat's Vegeta works for me.

As for Freeza & King Kai...I think Schemmel's Kai works fine. He is soley a comic relief character really. Thus the voice works well for such a character.

With Freeza, I agree that the voice is unsuiting in every way...Yet I'd still miss it, lol...

If they were to recast Freeza, do you guys think Brad Jackson (Doing his King Cold voice) would be well suited?
I basically agree with everything you said. King Kai is a comedy character - he has a terrible sense of humor, and snorts when he laughs. What would you expect?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:32 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:
Ten years ago, FUNimation was unfair to all Americans (and some others) who watched the dub by suddenly changing the cast. Ten years later, most people who watched the dub through to the end think that the Ocean cast sucks. So, a lot can change in ten years. Especially when you currently have sets out that have two different dub tracks on them (which, at least in Season 1, there actually were minor differences between those dubs in terms of dialouge).

By the time anything like the redub I'm asking for happens, Blu-Ray or some other high-def format with tons of room for information on one disc will be the norm and you can have several different dubs on a disc. That, or by the time a redub comes around, it'll be because the Texas cast is too old and they'll need a new cast anyway so nobody'll really care.

Also, the idea here isn't just to appease to the JP fans. The idea is to make a dub that is comparable to the Naruto dub, the Samurai Champloo dub, the Shin-chan dub, the FMA dub, and many others in terms of carrying over the intended tone and setting that was standard for the original version. I mean, I've seen Dragonball Z be looked at as "two completely different creatures" by several different people due to how different the dub is from the original.

I'd like to see, amongst some sort of option for the current dub, a dub that can simply be seen as the "English version" rather than "a completely different creature."
You forgot "cool and collected" with Horikawa but I'll forgive you. :P

Really, what I'd like to hear out of Sabat is him using his natural voice in tones ranging throughout all the personality aspects we both mentioned. Maybe a little bit of exaggeration, but I'm thinking of something like what Schemmel does: a happy-go-lucky version of his natural voice. When I hear Schemmel just talking about whatever without acting as a character, I can hear "Son Goku" in his voice. I'd like to have the same thing from Sabat.

At the very least, I'd like to hear less "gruff" out of Vegeta. All in all, if Sabat continued to be Piccolo and Vegeta in this "dream redub" that we've all got different ideas about, it would clear up some of the complaints that Vegeta and Piccolo sound too similar (I haven't really too much of a problem with Piccolo).
I hear too much of "Goku with his mouth full" when I hear the dub Kaio. That's my main problem with him. While I do have other problems with him, if I could only change one thing I'd at least like Kaio to be more distinguishable from a face-stuffed Goku.

If I remember dub King Cold well enough, I think his voice is a bit too deep. I'm thinking more of like the character Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Specifically, I'm speaking of the earlier episodes where he's all proud, royal, and pompous. I'm not asking for that exact voice (though it'd be cool), but something similar would be really nice.

Overall, while I do wanna see some dramatic re-interpretations, I know that they're unlikely to happen with the current cast and we'd have to wait until some "this is a classic series from 30 or 40 years ago" redub where they'd have a new cast for it, anyway. So I'm not taking it too seriously and I don't want to be offensive or come off as "You're wrong! It should be this way!"

For future reference, I'm more or less trying to say when I disagree that "I see your point, but I'd rather see it this way because of [reason]."

Just also note that I'm not looking to strike the current dub from the record (minus a few more dialouge revisions they missed in the Orange Bricks). I would just like to eventually see a "new and more faithfully translated dub" right alongside the "classic Texas dub."

The only thing I would ever expect if any more redubbing was done with the current cast is stuff that came out of Burst Limit: stuff like Goku calling himself "Son Goku" and the Kaio Ken not being "Keyo Ken."
(they/she)

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Freeza. Steven Jay Blum. Think about it. Mull it over.
Not so much his Spike Spiegel/Roger Smith type voice. I'm thinking something similar to what he does with Orochimaru (since Oro in Japanese talks in a similar manner as Freeza anyway).
Actually, Steve has some badass characters under his belt. Shin from Fist of the North Star, ken in Street Fighter Alpha, X's Seiichirou, Zabuza, Char Aznable, Vincent Valentine, Dracula in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Cpt. Bartlett in Ace Combat 5, (my personal favorite) Guyver III, and I hear he's playing Wolverine in a new X-Men series. He also apparently played Lord Zedd in that new Power Rangers game, and (get this) Goku in the old English release of Final Bout.

So... I could actually see him as Piccolo or Vegeta too. I don't remember his Goku, but I really don't remember liking the voices in Final Bout at all.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Onikage725 wrote:Freeza. Steven Jay Blum. Think about it. Mull it over.
Not so much his Spike Spiegel/Roger Smith type voice. I'm thinking something similar to what he does with Orochimaru (since Oro in Japanese talks in a similar manner as Freeza anyway).
Actually, Steve has some badass characters under his belt. Shin from Fist of the North Star, ken in Street Fighter Alpha, X's Seiichirou, Zabuza, Char Aznable, Vincent Valentine, Dracula in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Cpt. Bartlett in Ace Combat 5, (my personal favorite) Guyver III, and I hear he's playing Wolverine in a new X-Men series. He also apparently played Lord Zedd in that new Power Rangers game, and (get this) Goku in the old English release of Final Bout.

So... I could actually see him as Piccolo or Vegeta too. I don't remember his Goku, but I really don't remember liking the voices in Final Bout at all.
Goku from Final Bout sounded like Spike/Roger. Vegeta was inspired by the Japanese voice but it was overacted and ended up sounding really dumb. Neither voice fit, but they were still amusing to listen to.
(they/she)