The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:29 pm

You forgot the best Kenshin villain ever Makoto Shishio.

When you mention it, I remember seeing a clip of Mr. Sabat at a con saying he'd love to do a guy with his natural voice just hadn't gotten chance at the time. Don't know if he has ever gotten chance since I haven't seen everything he's done.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:31 pm

I'd settle for an accurate script, and Sabat giving up all of his roles except for Vegeta.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:49 pm

Raki wrote:I'd settle for an accurate script, and Sabat giving up all of his roles except for Vegeta.
Piccolo too? That'd never happen. I could see him giving up his Ginyu members. But not Piccolo.
Kendamu wrote:Ten years ago, FUNimation was unfair to all Americans (and some others) who watched the dub by suddenly changing the cast. Ten years later, most people who watched the dub through to the end think that the Ocean cast sucks.
There is one HUGE difference though. When FUNi changed the cast 10 years ago DBZ was running strong and beloved by America...DBZ was something that not even Naruto right now could ever hope to be in America. DBZ (Along with Pokemon) was soley responsible for what Anime in America is today. So they could change the cast and the vast majority of viewers wouldn't really care. Look how easily Dub fans adapted. Not to mention the Ocean Cast only had a longevity of 2 years. However if they did that now it would not work out. Because the viewers of DBZ at this point in time are for the most part the same people who were watching it back then. However this time the cast would have a longevity if 10 years.

Think of it like this...When Funimation switched from Ocean to their Texas cast 10 years ago people were able to adapt rather quickly. The only people who really and truley were pissed off about this and continued to be where people like EX who had already watched the JP version and deeply invested themselves into getting some proper releases for the series. The bulk of the fanbase didn't care too much.

Now try doing that today except instead of a large fanbase you have a more small fanbase. But that entire fanbase is comprised of people just like EX who feel strongly about the FUNi cast. It wouldn't be like 1999 when only a small percentage of fans really cares. It would World War 3, headed by Dub fans who unlike myself have no love for the Original version aswell and don't speak in complete sentences *Dun Dun Dun*. :P
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Think of it like this...When Funimation switched from Ocean to their Texas cast 10 years ago people were able to adapt rather quickly. The only people who really and truley were pissed off about this and continued to be where people like EX who had already watched the JP version and deeply invested themselves into getting some proper releases for the series. The bulk of the fanbase didn't care too much.
I was hanging out at the Planet Namek forums back in those days and the Texas cast was constantly being bashed in favor of the Canadian cast all the way up through until sometime in the Buu saga. By that point, though, I had other things going on and didn't have time to go to DBZ forums. So, I don't know when the transition happened from favoring the Canadian cast to favoring the Texas cast.

The only other thing I really heard about back then was "Will [insert moment here] be anything like the JP version?"

So, I can't really relate to the idea of "easily adapting" because I never saw it. What I'm seeing nowadays is the kids who were under 13 back then who are now grown up (who didn't care about the cast change) going "Who are these Ocean guys? They suck!"
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:07 pm

Raki wrote:I'd settle for an accurate script, and Sabat giving up all of his roles except for Vegeta.
Uhg, I bleed. Bleed, I tell ye!

FUNimation at least had a reason for changing the original cast, they seemingly didn't have the money for Ocean and or nobody would fly over to Texas--at least that is what I assume. Correct me if I am wrong but at this point the Texas cast being replaced is the bigger crime then the Vancouver cast being replace. Far bigger.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Uhg, I bleed. Bleed, I tell ye!

FUNimation at least had a reason for changing the original cast, they seemingly didn't have the money for Ocean and or nobody would fly over to Texas--at least that is what I assume. Correct me if I am wrong but at this point the Texas cast being replaced is the bigger crime then the Vancouver cast being replace. Far bigger.
I'm not really proposing the idea of the Texas dub being forgotten about and cast aside. Keep it. Keep putting it on the other releases. 30 years from now, put it on those, too! However, eventually, the current cast will get old and it may get a redub. I'd like to see certain things in that redub.

However, in the meantime, I like speculating on the idea of having the Texas cast reinterpreting some of their characters and, where that's not possible, replacing the cast members that couldn't properly reinterpret their characters to more modern dubbing standards.

Still, just speculation and opinion. It's not like I expect it to happen nor do I think that other people are "wrong" for not agreeing with me.
(they/she)

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 pm

Wasn't Planet Namek full of a lot of people who preferred the Original though? I ask because back then the people who preferred the Original could spot good acting. Even as someone who far prefers FUNi to Ocean, it's rather obvious that the Ocean Casts acting was superior to Season 3 FUNi.

Also, on the subject of the Ocean Cast...I'm someone who didn't get into DB until the FUNi cast was already solidfied...Now thinking back whenever I'd hear the Saiyan or Namek Saga on TV I would be confused as to why they sounded so different. I guess I was too naive and dumb to realize there were different actors. I never really had any problems with the Ocean Cast while watching back then. Except for Brian Drummond...I always thought his Vegeta sounded like a teenage punk. Always irked me.

I don't really have a reason for posting that. Just felt like saying it. :P

Also, how old are we talking here? Nozawa-san is in what? Her 60's? And she's still Goku. I don't see the Texas cast getting too old to do the characters for a long long time.
*Dodges rocks*

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:37 pm

Like old enough to have moved onto other things or have retired because Schemmel isn't nearly as iconic to America as Nozawa is in Japan.
(they/she)

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Nozawa is 72 years old. It will be a sad day when she dies.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:59 pm

mrkaizoku wrote:Nozawa is 72 years old. It will be a sad day when she dies.
I hope she lives to be over 9000 years old.
(they/she)

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:08 am

WOW!!! THAT OLD?!?! I was thinking Early/Mid 60's.

Oh and I doubt the current cast will be retiring any time soon.
*Dodges rocks*

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:14 am

Oh, one thing I'd like to see in a redub would be the replacement of Kyle Hebert as narrator with Brice Armstrong. His narrations invoke so much more feeling than Kyle's, which are more like a kick to the head than narrations.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:16 am

That's pretty impressive considering how she puts her all into Goku and the rest of the Son family (even with the recurring Video Games). Part of the reason why I get sick and tired of hearing the same complaints among the Japanese version. It's not that I don't understand, it's just that it's like hearing constant echoes. Her Dr. Kureha voice is more appropiate fo her age, but I can't help but hear Goku. The same for Kitaro in Hakaba Kitaro (or GeGe no Kitaro), but hearing her Gohan instead.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:17 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:
WOW!!! THAT OLD?!?! I was thinking Early/Mid 60's.

Oh and I doubt the current cast will be retiring any time soon.
I never expected it to be soon. I'm thinking that maybe 20 years from now there may be a different cast (or at least very significant changes to the cast) if the show is dubbed again.
(they/she)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:30 pm

We're more likely for the original cast to be mostly kept. I mean, most of them are currently 20-40.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:38 pm

I personally think that by the time that the current cast gets to the point of having to be replaced there will not be a large enough Dragonball fan base to warrant a re-dubbing, from a business perspective.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:34 pm

I think it would be similar to stuff like Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo where they just find people who sound exactly like the old voices.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:46 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:I personally think that by the time that the current cast gets to the point of having to be replaced there will not be a large enough Dragonball fan base to warrant a re-dubbing, from a business perspective.
You never know. Maybe it'll be like Battle of the Planets/G-Force or something.
(they/she)

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Kendamu wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:I personally think that by the time that the current cast gets to the point of having to be replaced there will not be a large enough Dragonball fan base to warrant a re-dubbing, from a business perspective.
You never know. Maybe it'll be like Battle of the Planets/G-Force or something.
Watch out with that. G-Force was closer to the original Gatchaman than Battle of the Planets was but people and BOTP fans hate it with a passion. Sure it gave the lead guys really bad names (Mark and Jason from BOTP were called Ace Goodhart and Dirk Daring in G-Force) but was still truer and didn't have that annoying robot. Know did hear a guy say that was because both shows were done before the internet and knowledge of such shows being from Japan, but still...
I think it would be similar to stuff like Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo where they just find people who sound exactly like the old voices.
They don't sound exactly, becasue I can spot Frank Welker's Scooby from Don Messick's. Also imitating some doesn't always work either.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Super Sonic wrote: They don't sound exactly, becasue I can spot Frank Welker's Scooby from Don Messick's. Also imitating some doesn't always work either.
Imitating is why Season 3's first dub sounded so horrible.
(they/she)