The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 pm

Kendamu wrote: Imitating is why Season 3's first dub sounded so horrible.
It can work well, provided the VA's in question have the technical skill to be able to mimic the previous actors, which the Texas cast simply didn't have, sure they all settled into their roles, but I don't think anyone thought for one second that they sounded even a little like the previous cast.

If there ever was a real re-dub, I want to see emphasis on actual voice actors, not just anime VA's, sure there are a few that are genuinely talented, but not many.

I would love to see a re-dub of the original Dragonball with people like Billy West, Maurice Lamarshe and Tress Macneil, I think they're great actors with great vocal ranges that would do a fantastic job.

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I think it would be similar to stuff like Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo where they just find people who sound exactly like the old voices.

There isn't another human alive that comes close to sounding like Mel Blanc.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 pm

mrkaizoku wrote: There isn't another human alive that comes close to sounding like Mel Blanc.
I agree.

The closest in my opinion would have to be Billy West, everyone else sounds like they are trying too hard.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:30 pm

Yeah. If anyone can do it, it's Billy West.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:34 pm

Ever heard Billy West do The Three Stooges? His Larry is pretty spot on, and his Moe isn't bad either.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:44 am

If there ever was a real re-dub, I want to see emphasis on actual voice actors, not just anime VA's, sure there are a few that are genuinely talented, but not many.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're highly disrespecting American Anime actors. Like just because they work on Anime as opposed to say Fox's Sunday Animation Domination that they're somehow below those who do. A lot of these action VA's really tear apart their throats to give us a quality dub and deserve more respect. Hell Maile Flanagan (Naruto) won a flippin Emmy.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:02 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote: You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're highly disrespecting American Anime actors. Like just because they work on Anime as opposed to say Fox's Sunday Animation Domination that they're somehow below those who do.
It's got nothing to do with what they work on, it's the simple fact that the standard of voice acting in the anime industry is lower than it is elsewhere, I still have my favorites (Vic Mignogna I thought he was great in FMA, not to mention his vocals on the One Piece themes)

My point however wasn't that they were all horrible, I never said that, I just simply don't believe the standard of English voice acting in Anime is as high as it should be, they seem to be aiming for "acceptable" or "adequate", is it disrespectful of me to want something better?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:03 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote: Hell Maile Flanagan (Naruto) won a flippin Emmy.
Yeah, her hard working is showing. Ever since she dubbed the first Naruto movie, her(Naruto's) voice has been cracking like crazy.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote: You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're highly disrespecting American Anime actors. Like just because they work on Anime as opposed to say Fox's Sunday Animation Domination that they're somehow below those who do.
It's got nothing to do with what they work on, it's the simple fact that the standard of voice acting in the anime industry is lower than it is elsewhere, I still have my favorites (Vic Mignogna I thought he was great in FMA, not to mention his vocals on the One Piece themes)

My point however wasn't that they were all horrible, I never said that, I just simply don't believe the standard of English voice acting in Anime is as high as it should be, they seem to be aiming for "acceptable" or "adequate", is it disrespectful of me to want something better?
I disagree, I feel the past few years has shown extreme improvement in casting even more minor characters in Anime.
Yeah, her hard working is showing. Ever since she dubbed the first Naruto movie, her(Naruto's) voice has been cracking like crazy.
I actually don't even follow the Dub anymore so I wouldn't know. :P
*Dodges rocks*

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:10 pm

The American dubbing scene has actually gotten much better in the past few years. Just compare Naruto to Rurouni Kenshin, Kenshin sounds horrible while Naruto--using the same voice pool--has an incredible dub, acting-wise.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:31 pm

I personally like the Kenshin dub (tv series, never watched the ovas). Shishio's laugh is better in English.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Super Sonic wrote:I personally like the Kenshin dub (tv series, never watched the ovas). Shishio's laugh is better in English.
Yes, Blum's Shishio was one of the highlights but over all it is blantant that the dub was made under far less high standards.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:17 am

Yes, plus of course, the very Anime this topic is about...One Piece. Sure we're not too far in but I'm really loving the cast.
*Dodges rocks*

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:47 am

Maybe it's because I liked Kenshin when it was on TV, but I have no qualms with the english dub. Script was accurate enough; just wish they'd used "oro" instead of "huh." Sano's voice stuck with me.

I'm inclined to agree with our Lavender Saiyan though, in his saying that dubbing standards have gone way up. Hell, even FUNi's Dragon Ball dub - bad jokes and all - is a step above Harmony Gold's 80's dub with Lena, Zero, and Whiskers the Wonder Cat (Karin, and they made him female)
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 am

Yeah, I actually think that DB's Dub was far more acurate than Z (GT was more acurate aswell)...Overall DB was a pretty darn good Dub IMO. Plus it was the only of the 3 that had acurate Music.
*Dodges rocks*

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:01 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Yeah, I actually think that DB's Dub was far more acurate than Z (GT was more acurate aswell)...Overall DB was a pretty darn good Dub IMO. Plus it was the only of the 3 that had acurate Music.
Dragon Ball's dub, post-Saga of Goku, is pretty freaking awesome, and is everything I could want out of it. As much as I love McNeil as Piccolo Jr., Sabat's Piccolo Daimao is really freaking awesome. And Brice Armstrong's narration is so perfect! Ugh, I love the DB dub.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote: Think of it like this...When Funimation switched from Ocean to their Texas cast 10 years ago people were able to adapt rather quickly. The only people who really and truley were pissed off about this and continued to be where people like EX who had already watched the JP version and deeply invested themselves into getting some proper releases for the series. The bulk of the fanbase didn't care too much.
*Raises hand* That's not entirely true. There are those of us who started on the older dub, who waited through that Raditz-Recoome loop of syndication hell (are they gonna keep going? FUCK its that damn space pod!), and who were not pleased with the under-experienced replacement voices. Especially since everyone but Kuririn was just a poor attempt at pretending to be the previous VA's, and Sonny really didn't start bringing anything to his roll until the next season (in my opinion). The music went from "meh" to "what the hell is this shit." Sorry Faulconer fans. Hell, I even have a couple of pieces of his that I enjoy, but S3 for the most part blew on so many levels (so much so that I barely even cared that it was "uncut").

So a number of us wanted the old voices. I'll admit, I like Sabat's Daimao, and in the Ma Junior Saga I didn't mind him. But considering that I went from McNeil to Furukawa (fansubs during the limbo) to Sabat... I just really wasn't feeling his take on the character.

Not to mention, Cartoon Network wasn't on basic cable back then. I know a few people who watched DBZ on the lower numbered networks but couldn't follow onto CN for a couple of years. And when they did, after watching "Saiyan" and "Namek" saga reruns as their sole source, they ha trouble adjusting too. The main fans of the current dub that I know are fans who jumped in on the Toonami block. Coming on daily after school brought in droves of fans who weren't following it once a week at the buttcrack of dawn.

As far as Sabat, I actually think if he combined hi old Drummond-esque voice with his current level of experience, the results might be interesting.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:35 pm

djkalteraphine wrote: Dragon Ball's dub, post-Saga of Goku, is pretty freaking awesome, and is everything I could want out of it.
For me the original music certainly goes a long way, but there are one or two things that prevent me from really enjoying the dub.

Muten Roshi for instance, one of my favorite characters in the show, is voiced by someone who simply can't act.

That said, I think Funimation did a fantastic job on the opening and ending themes, and as a whole I think it got a much better treatment than DBZ.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:43 pm

I liked how he did him personally. Made him funny, serious, and pervy at times in a subtle way, that I kinda liked more at times. As for his acting, watch him in Fruits Basket. He's funny there, and a great Buggy.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
djkalteraphine wrote: Dragon Ball's dub, post-Saga of Goku, is pretty freaking awesome, and is everything I could want out of it.
For me the original music certainly goes a long way, but there are one or two things that prevent me from really enjoying the dub.

Muten Roshi for instance, one of my favorite characters in the show, is voiced by someone who simply can't act.

That said, I think Funimation did a fantastic job on the opening and ending themes, and as a whole I think it got a much better treatment than DBZ.
I love McFarland's Kame Sen'nin. How can anyone not love "Which one-a these shells says STUD MUFFIN?!" And his serious Kame Sen'nin, while talking to Tenshinhan and Piccolo Daimao, while not as good as the original, is still pretty freaking intense.

But, that's me! I can see why people don't like him, since he his just a guy doing a voice. But I think it's an effective voice.