The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PrincessVegeta
Banned

The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Post by PrincessVegeta » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:07 pm

I know I'm a funimation fangirl and all but I seemed a bit let down on Funimations latest remastered season 5 set so I decided it was time for a change and got the new One Piece 1st Voyage set this afternoon. =D I wanted to go yesterday to get it, but my dad was cranky, so I begged my mom to take me to Best Buy today. I'm up to the middle of the 6th episode right now.

The dvd is awesome and when I say awesome I mean so awesome that it's true to the original story unlike the Dragonball series. I'll admit that if a dub is good, I don't even bother watching the subbed version (although there are also cases, like DBZ, where I watch the dub almost exclusively because of the Bruce Faulconer music) and Funi did such a good job here, I may never watch 4kids version again. My brother is a huge fan of Disney's pirate movies, so I'm gonna see if I can get him to watch a few episodes of this. Maybe he'll get hooked, who knows?

And incase your wondering Toei didn't be stingy on Funimation this time and gave us perfect masters on One Piece with the slight exception of the removal for the Japanese writing in the intros and endings thus giving us textless versions instead but that's a small price to pay for a perfect dub :lol:

Even better Funi didn't over use grunts and over the top dialouge when their isn't any spoken dialoge so in the original if their is silence then in the dub it's also silence ^^ Also the fact that their is about as much cussing in it just like the first 2 season sets contained so in all this latest dub by them far outclasses DBZ's remastered sets I.M.O both in quality and dubbing so yep One Piece is my best new anime yet :3
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Saiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 pm

Well, the thing is that One Piece is well-dubbed, but in my opinion, is nowhere near the level of the Japanese one. It has the same spirit, but the voices and the way lines are delivered in the Japanese version makes it even better.

So, I'm not gonna be one of those guys that say "OMG THE DUB SUKZ" but give the sub of One Piece a chance. I think it'll be an EVEN BETTER experience.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:33 pm

Yeah, I always found FUNimation's products to either range from "this is a good release but the dub sucks" to "this is a good release and the dub is actually really good!" for everything except Dragonball.

I still don't understand why the DBZ Brand Manager at FUNi doesn't take a few hints from the other releases floating around from other properties.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:34 pm

I plan on comparing both tomorrow if that check comes in the mail. The different between the dubs is obvious. One they care about being accurate, and the other is just there.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm interested; the One Piece set, is this from the beginning of the series, redubbed by Funi, or does it start out from the first episode Funi dubbed?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:I'm interested; the One Piece set, is this from the beginning of the series, redubbed by Funi, or does it start out from the first episode Funi dubbed?
No, it's the very first Season. They're re-dubbing and re-releasing the stuff 4Kids butchered.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

mrkaizoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by mrkaizoku » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:54 pm

I guess it must just be me, but all of the characters in Funimation's "One Piece" dub sound like joke characters. What happened to good voice acting? Everything Funimation does sounds like they just got a bunch of their friends together to dub it. It reeks of unprofessionalism. I don't have any problem with them wanting to dub something in house. It saves money and allows them to buy more properties. The thing I have a problem with is letting a bunch of amateur (at best) actors dub a show. Hire some competent actors for crying out loud. Granted, Funimation's dub is better than 4kids, but I think I would rather watch my first born child mauled to death by cougars than watch 4Kids' "One Piece" dub.

Vekurotto
Regular

Re: The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:57 pm

PrincessVegeta wrote:Even better Funi didn't over use grunts and over the top dialouge when their isn't any spoken dialoge so in the original if their is silence then in the dub it's also silence
JSYK, every dub they have is much better than anything that they've ever done with Dragonball. So with that said why the hell does Funi still treat everything else like gold while DB is treated like a piece of elephant poop even though without it they'd have gone under in their first year?

Overall if they crap on the dub I don't care but still...they as a company should be ashamed at the DB dubs when they've proven that they could do a much better job.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:16 pm

I bought this One Piece set and I watched it all in Japanese. This was my first time watching the series so I just thought I shouls do for the original rather than the dub. Let me say, Luffys voice is a hell of a lot better in the Japanese version than the dub. I've enjoyed this set immensly watching it with subs.
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:13 pm

mrkaizoku wrote:I guess it must just be me, but all of the characters in Funimation's "One Piece" dub sound like joke characters. What happened to good voice acting? Everything Funimation does sounds like they just got a bunch of their friends together to dub it. It reeks of unprofessionalism. I don't have any problem with them wanting to dub something in house. It saves money and allows them to buy more properties. The thing I have a problem with is letting a bunch of amateur (at best) actors dub a show. Hire some competent actors for crying out loud. Granted, Funimation's dub is better than 4kids, but I think I would rather watch my first born child mauled to death by cougars than watch 4Kids' "One Piece" dub.
THey sound pretty good to me. Or are you the type who wants Bang Zoom or guys like Cree Summer and Tara Strong on their shows (which won't happen for anime)?

On topic, I did like the One Piece dvd though I still need to finish it. Still is nice hearing Luffy go, "I'm gonna kick your ass!" Goku saying that wouldn't sound right.

And what the op sid is similar to the 4Kids One Piece actors. They sound great on Pokemon, TMNT, and The Slayers, but not on 4Kids One Piece.

DaRealChrono

Post by DaRealChrono » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:07 pm

You guys haven't gotten over this Remastered thing yet? :roll:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:14 pm

I have. Mainly because I'm too cheap to buy seasons 3 and 4. Will get 5 and 1 eventually.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:51 pm

I don't care what some of you guys say. FUNi's One Piece dub is perfect. The dvd set is completely uncut and retains all the original names. Plus the voice acting is perfect and the dialogue is nearly 100% accurate. The only way someone could find fault with their dub is if they hate FUNi or are weaboos.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:01 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:I don't care what some of you guys say. FUNi's One Piece dub is perfect. The dvd set is completely uncut and retains all the original names. Plus the voice acting is perfect and the dialogue is nearly 100% accurate. The only way someone could find fault with their dub is if they hate FUNi or are weaboos.
How dare people have a different opinion then your own!
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:03 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:The only way someone could find fault with their dub is if they hate FUNi or are weaboos.
There's porbably no reason to not like it. I haven't heard it but I've heard only good things about it even from people that usually don't like dubs. I'm probably still not watching though because I like the original cast too much.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:09 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
mrkaizoku wrote:I guess it must just be me, but all of the characters in Funimation's "One Piece" dub sound like joke characters. What happened to good voice acting? Everything Funimation does sounds like they just got a bunch of their friends together to dub it. It reeks of unprofessionalism. I don't have any problem with them wanting to dub something in house. It saves money and allows them to buy more properties. The thing I have a problem with is letting a bunch of amateur (at best) actors dub a show. Hire some competent actors for crying out loud. Granted, Funimation's dub is better than 4kids, but I think I would rather watch my first born child mauled to death by cougars than watch 4Kids' "One Piece" dub.
THey sound pretty good to me. Or are you the type who wants Bang Zoom or guys like Cree Summer and Tara Strong on their shows (which won't happen for anime)?
Sorry but, who are they?

[EDIT]Never mind. I looked them up...

What about people like Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil? THEY are what I would call voice actors!
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:53 pm

Outside of a few of the guys from the begining (i.e. Sabat, MacFarland, Cook) most of FUNimation's voice pool--espicially those used on the set--are actual stage actors. Strait (Usopp), Clinkenbeard (Luffy), and the like can act and show a great deal of range in their roles.

Honestly, anybody who actually claims they as horrible as the previous poster has claimed makes themselves look like they don't really sit through the set and properly evaluate their performances.

But this is a Dragonball board, anyhow...
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:07 pm

If it sounds bad to someone it sounds bad to someone.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm still waiting for both of First Voyage and the movie.

It's probably cost them way too much to get Dragonball Z done again anyway.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Re: The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:56 pm

PrincessVegeta wrote: (although there are also cases, like DBZ, where I watch the dub almost exclusively because of the Bruce Faulconer music)
Wow, I guess I'm not taking your opinion seriously ever again.