DBZ wiki article destroyed again

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

DBZ wiki article destroyed again

Post by Xyex » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:59 am

Just a heads up to those who care, sometime last month the minority that's been trying to basically obliterate the DB's wiki articles managed to get a 'consensus' together. Yeah. The articles are now toast. The manga and anime (DB-GT) have been merged into one article now. The three series get about 3 or 4 paragraphs. Each. Everything else that was once part of the articles has been completel removed.

I'd thought we'd managed to stop this when Lord Sesshomaru and DBZROCKS were trying to do it before. But apparently enough of us stopped checking up on it long enough that the minority managed to make themselves look like the majority.

So, yeah, DBZ wiki article is totally worthless now. It's probably got less than half the word count of the Daizex front page.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:18 am

The character pages don't look that great either. Some characters were completly erased, like they don't exist at all.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:39 am

I noticed this yesterday. They completed toasted it, didn't they? :(

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:44 am

It's not like the information isn't out there on other fan sites and Dragonball communities usually are willing to answer questions. These facts aren't unavailable to the public and I think most people 3 and up know that Wiki is about as accurate as a blind guy with autism trying to pole-vault. I don't really see people lacking info on the series even if Wiki up and deletes the whole article.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:30 am

NeptuneKai wrote:It's not like the information isn't out there on other fan sites and Dragonball communities usually are willing to answer questions. These facts aren't unavailable to the public and I think most people 3 and up know that Wiki is about as accurate as a blind guy with autism trying to pole-vault. I don't really see people lacking info on the series even if Wiki up and deletes the whole article.

But I go there a lot. This really blows.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:32 am

I just don't think it's worth it. Let the morons have the site. That place is like an "encyclopedia version" of the YouTube commenters. If people want proper info they have places like Daizex and Kanzentai.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 am

Jerseymilk wrote:I just don't think it's worth it. Let the morons have the site. That place is like an "encyclopedia version" of the YouTube comments. If people want proper info they have places like Daizex and Kanzentai.
Why would someone just let them have the site? That doesn't sound too smart. And this website doesn't have a character guide, does it? I don't think so.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:36 am

Well, then, maybe someone needs to put something in the articles so that this site and Kanzentai can be referenced as sources. If anyone looking for DBZ info feels that they need to look further, the links will be right there to click.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:39 am

They butchered the Saiyans article too. They got rid of every bit of useful information because it was "fancruft" and left in the stuff we've heard a billion times. There's no more mention of why Goku's always hungry. Or the class system, or any other thing that was really useful and had to watch a few episodes to find out about.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:54 am

Jerseymilk wrote:I just don't think it's worth it. Let the morons have the site. That place is like an "encyclopedia version" of the YouTube commenters. If people want proper info they have places like Daizex and Kanzentai.
Maybe, but it's a great quick reference, if you're just trying to remember something. I used it just the other day because I had forgotten the village Goku saved from Muscle Tower (it was Jingle Village).

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:26 am

Pain wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:I just don't think it's worth it. Let the morons have the site. That place is like an "encyclopedia version" of the YouTube comments. If people want proper info they have places like Daizex and Kanzentai.
Why would someone just let them have the site? That doesn't sound too smart. And this website doesn't have a character guide, does it? I don't think so.
Because it's a losing battle, that's why. Since to really solve the problem on a permanent basis, Wikipedia needs to change fundamentally how the place is run. No matter how many times we go in there and try to change it back, they'll find a way to erase it all again. It's akin to someone trying to stop a fire by running back and forth, carrying up water scooped intp their palms and attempting to douse the flames that way. What needs to be fixed are the core elements of Wiki itself and good luck with that one.

As I said to Xyex earlier when we were talking about it, you're wasting precious time of your life, time that you can never get back again on banging your head against a wall with ignorant idiots. They really just aren't worth it in my opinion.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:38 am

It seems like wikipedia will look at anything that isn't common knowledge as pointless. And sometimes, people just don't want something in an article. I tried to put Vegeta in the list of anti-heroes, and put a credible source (the fucking official DBZ website), and they still undid the edit. It's ridiculous.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:40 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:50 am

I think most of the editing trolls aren't fans of Dragonball at all. They want to "destroy" the articles so people who read them have a poor opinion of the franchise. Wikipedia in my mind will never be a source that I consider valid. Any "encyclopedia site" where just any person can edit and delete information based on their own personal bias is a worthless site. All of my teachers and professors laugh at Wikipedia, and so do I.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 am

Raki wrote:I think most of the editing trolls aren't fans of Dragonball at all. They want to "destroy" the articles so people who read them have a poor opinion of the franchise. Wikipedia in my mind will never be a source that I consider valid. Any "encyclopedia site" where just any person can edit and delete information based on their own personal bias is a worthless site. All of my teachers and professors laugh at Wikipedia, and so do I.
This and what Kunzait said was essentially my point. Unless Wikipedia completely changes it's format, there's no point fighting it. Some may think my opinion isn't very smart, but I simply like to pick and choose my battles with a little more practical discretion is all.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:08 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:My question really though is, what's the real motive for the "morons" (as Jersey calls them) on the Dragon Ball articles? They pass themselves off as fellow fans, but they seem to have this huge problem with accurate, correct information being presented in a neat and well organized manner, and will defend the clusterfucked articles as if it's their mother's honor at stake.

The hell's up with that? :?
I think part of it is that Wikipedia has been mocked in the past for the length of its articles on fandom-type things. A year or two back there was this big thing over SomethingAwful.com making fun of the fact that the Wikipedia article on Knuckles from the Sonic series was longer than the aritcle for Shakespeare. So they drastically shortened it, and I think they've been leary of getting made fun of like that again. So if any article related to an anime or video game series gets past a certain length, they seem to get nervous.

Somewhat fortunately, there are now a bunch of fandom wikis sprouting up to house this kind of detailed information on anime series and such. However, their quality varies. Bulbapedia, a Pokemon wiki, is extremely good, but the DragonBall wiki that someone linked to awhile back didn't look so hot.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:44 pm

Well... the dragonball article wasn't so spruced-up to begin with, so I can see why they merged them. But where's the info about the edits? That's what the article needs.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:52 pm

And why DOESN'T the "let's handle things like the Sailor Moon articles" argument ever seem to hold any sway with these people? The Sailor Moon articles have attained the coveted "good article" status before (and unless I'm mistaken, weren't they even featured articles at some point too?), and if that's not an endorsement of how to handle similar anime articles, I don't know what is.
Oh, don't you know? The Sailor Moon article is getting fucked too. Naruto and One Peice as well. A small group of people have created an "anime project" on wiki and are cutting the hell out of all the articles. Anything that is 'fancruft' in their opinion (By their definition: information only "fans" would care about) gets wiped.
Well... the dragonball article wasn't so spruced-up to begin with, so I can see why they merged them. But where's the info about the edits? That's what the article needs.
Sure, there were issues with it. But up until Lord Sesshomaru and DBZROCKS started hacking up the page, eventually getting it protected and made un changeable, it was slowly being fixed. Then they started trying to 'improve' the page by cutting out huge sections of information they didn't want in the article on grounds it was unsourced (instead of taking the time and effort to actually fix things) which lead to an edit and revert war, which lead to protecting the page, which lead to the rest of us being disgusted and leaving, which gave them the chance to become the 'majority opinion' on the article creating the current situation.

And now, when I mention I plan to restore the old articles in a fixed and solid format I get called 'disruptive' because I'm not following what they want the article to be. And get stub artcile I made a while back nominated for AfD because I pointed out that they don't have consensus, never did, and that the merge was denied TWICE in the last year before they came along.

So yeah, I'm thinknig I'll just go with Jersey's idea and say screw it. The wiki articles were some of the best sources of information on the series before but now it's garbage and there's no reason to try and fix it when it'd just be easier to do our own, instead.

I think that's what we should do. I know there's already a DB Wiki but I think we should formulate our own. Though with different rules from the normal wiki. Something that only those here can actually edit so as to prevent the Lord Sesshomaru's and DBZROCKS' and Collectonian's from hacking apart everything and chopping it down to uselessness.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Basically - anything that's harder to find and isn't common knowledge is "fancruft" to them. :roll: It's ridiculous.

Your idea of a Dragon Ball wiki is pretty good.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.