Favorite filler?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:44 pm

The episodes with Maron. :P

NICE!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:09 pm

Yamcha was filler, Giran wasn't.
Man, now I feel dumb...

It's been too long for me since reading the manga.

I just have no urge to read the VIZ one, because it's so edited and stuff.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:46 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
Yamcha was filler, Giran wasn't.
Man, now I feel dumb...

It's been too long for me since reading the manga.

I just have no urge to read the VIZ one, because it's so edited and stuff.
Wow its not THAT censored. Defiantly check it out if you haven't already, as for the censoring you're only missing out on Bulma's boobs,a few dirty jokes are watered down and there are about 3 or 4 name changes.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:49 pm

You guys have no soul for not mentioning the episode with Tao Baibai's puzzles. One o the funniest episodes in the entire series, non-filler included.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:37 pm

I really like all of the filler that was used in Dragonball. Yes, there was some that I just don't like, but it was all good for the most part.

Favorite Filler Episodes:

-DB ep. 82 "The Violent Monster Inoshikachou"~I just really loved this episode, mostly because of how we were getting to see Tenshinhan and Chaozu and Kame Sennin in his early years.
-DB ep. 83 "Hurry, Goku! Tenkaichi Budoukai"~I just really loved how well this episode portrayed Goku's ability to befriend others and bring out the good in everyone.

Favorite Filler Scenes:

-DB ep. "?"~The scene where we see Master Mutaito trap Piccolo Daimao with the Evil Containment Wave.
-DBZ ep. "?"~The scene where King Vegeta loses his throne to Freeza, then confronts him and demands the freedom of the Saiya-jin race only to be ruthlessly killed. Freeza then procedes to destroy the Planet Vegeta, just as Bardock was coming to stop him.

Least Favorite Filler Episodes:

-DB "Wedding Saga"~The last 5 episodes of the Dragonball Series. After Piccolo's defeat, everything was perfectly set for a nice, happy ending, exactly how Toryama had written it, and the added episodes really kind of ruined it for me.

That's all I can think of...right now. :wink:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:40 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:6) Flashback to Bibidi and Majin Buu slaughtering the Kaioshins. - Again, filler that expands on a concept in the manga, visually plays out events only alluded to in dialogue, and provides an explanation for Fat Buu’s physical appearance that (for once) contradicts nothing and makes perfect sense.
The part with Fat Buu's appearance isn't filler. In the manga we get to see what Dai-Kaioshin looks like (albiet in only a single panel), and of course he looks just like Fat Buu, only Kaioshin-ified. Sure the manga never flat out says "And that's why Buu looked like that", but the implication is obvious.
But anyway, that's probably one of my favorite filler as well. In addition to all you said, I just like seeing Kid Buu destroy stuff. And seeing muscley Buu actually move around was good too.
I once got into a rather detailed discussion with a friend of mine about the Saiya-jin saga in the anime as opposed to the manga. We both came to agree that we both liked the idea of the Z Senshi’s training for Nappa and Vegeta’s arrival playing out for a bunch of episodes before the Saiya-jin finally land on Earth and the main battles commence.
I have mixed feelings about that part of the TV show. While I agree that all those episodes of training make the fight with Vegeta and Nappa more suspenful when it finally happens, I think that putting so much emphasis on everyone's training, especially the humans', ultimately makes it much more disappointing when everyone but Goku gets bowled over by Nappa. It kind of seems at best sad and pathetic and at worst like a waste of time to spend so much time seeing everyone train so hard only to fail so miserably. Of course, my problem is partly that I didn't like the everyone-but-Goku vs. Nappa fight in the manga, and I think all that filler adding suspense to it intensifies what I don't like about it (namely, everyone training so hard only to be helpless without Goku). But on the other hand, much of my favorite filler is from that section, like Arlia, the phantom Saiyans and Goku in Hell.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:22 pm

One of my favorite filler portions that I don't believe anyone's mentioned yet is SSj2 Goku's "warm up" scuffle with Kid Buu, before he pulled out the stops and went SSj3. It was brilliantly choreographed and animated, taking an already awesome fight and making it even better.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:One of my favorite filler portions that I don't believe anyone's mentioned yet is SSj2 Goku's "warm up" scuffle with Kid Buu, before he pulled out the stops and went SSj3. It was brilliantly choreographed and animated, taking an already awesome fight and making it even better.
I agree with that one. It didn't make much sense that he was able to fight so head on with Boo, but it was such an awesome fight that it didn't matter. Probably the best filler fight in the series.
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:01 am

Wow its not THAT censored. Defiantly check it out if you haven't already, as for the censoring you're only missing out on Bulma's boobs,a few dirty jokes are watered down and there are about 3 or 4 name changes.
I've read most of the Dragon Ball (possibly all of it), but I've only read a few of the Dragon Ball Z.

I can't believe I didn't know that that wasn't filler (although I think that's cool), but I guess that's part of why I'm here, so I cn learn as much as I can about the series.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:16 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:One of my favorite filler portions that I don't believe anyone's mentioned yet is SSj2 Goku's "warm up" scuffle with Kid Buu, before he pulled out the stops and went SSj3. It was brilliantly choreographed and animated, taking an already awesome fight and making it even better.
I forgot about that. I love that scene. I have the part where Boo shoots a blast and Goku hops over it using both hands and shoots another one at the screen stuck in my head now. :wink:

I also want to say that I enjoyed the episode where Majin Boo saves a bank from being robbed. It's right after they kill Kid Boo. It was funny how he just brushed that street boxer to the side. :lol:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:35 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:and I’m sorry, but having Piccolo lead all of Gohan’s friends to help in the final battle is MUCH more in character for all present and makes said final battle carry a lot more dramatic weight. And yes, I think it’s TOTALLY in character for Vegeta to hesitate and chicken out at first before finally growing a pair and pitching in. Surely I’m not the only person who’s seen movie 8 am I?
I'm going to disagree with you here because the filler destroys Vegeta's character development.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:35 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:I agree with that one. It didn't make much sense that he was able to fight so head on with Boo, but it was such an awesome fight that it didn't matter. Probably the best filler fight in the series.
Eh, it didn't seem THAT implausible to me. I always got the impression that SSj2 was the bare minimum level of power to contend with the Buus, and Kid Buu is technically the second-weakest of them, after all. Fat Buu was probably about the same level before he split, and SSj2 Vegeta, who was about even with Goku thanks to the Majinization, did pretty well against him. You ask me, Goku would be able to give either Pre-split Fat Buu or Kid Buu a good fight at SSj2, but it would take SSj3 to finish either of them off.
Big Momma wrote:I forgot about that. I love that scene. I have the part where Boo shoots a blast and Goku hops over it using both hands and shoots another one at the screen stuck in my head now.
My personal favorite shot is the one where they're flying horizontal to the ground, Kid Buu facing downwards at Goku, and they're shooting at each other, leaving a trail of fiery, explosive death behind them.

The more I think about it, the more freaking awesome this fight becomes. :shock:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:14 am

My personal favorite shot is the one where they're flying horizontal to the ground, Kid Buu facing downwards at Goku, and they're shooting at each other, leaving a trail of fiery, explosive death behind them.

The more I think about it, the more freaking awesome this fight becomes.
That's the main scene that I remember.

But I love the scenes with Boo beating his chest and pissing Goku off.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:25 am

Chuquita wrote:Driving school AND Goku and Vegeta's adventures inside of Buu. (Love those giant worms. XD )
Definitely got to be those two... And I also think the Vegeta/Bra moments, such as the shaving filler, and father and daughter on the way back from the mall driving... One could say rather recklessly :P
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:31 am

1) The scenes between Goku and Gohan in the Room of Spirit and Time. I love seeing these two interact and liked that it gave us more of an insight into their training. My personal favorites are probably the two scenes where Goku carried Gohan back inside on his back, thought those were particularly sweet.

2) Gohan meeting up with Mercenary Tao before the Cell Games. Seeing Tao again was interesting and his meeting up with Gohan was hilarious. Love it in both Japanese and English...these quotes are the FUNImation dub:
"Hey, kid, what's your name?"
"it's Gohan."
"Oh, thank goodness...I thought you were someone named Goku."
"Close enough. I'm his son."
"WHAT?"

3)Gohan meets the robot in the desert. I only recently saw this one as I believe it was cut when the Saiyan Saga was originally aired in America. I thought it was an interesting additon, as was Gohan's dinosaur friend dying. Really developed on Gohan's character by making him realize about death and the cycle of nature.

4) Goku and ChiChi's adventures at the very end of DB. Liked seeing the engaged couple working together and develop their relationship a little. Made their wedding more meaningful to me because Goku had developed a kind of caring for her.

5)Gohan's birthday and the flashbacks surrounding it. Liked seeing Gohan as a baby and Goku's interaction with him when he was that small. Gohan having a say in naming himself was pretty neat. I really liked the little "snapshot" artwork they used at the end of the episode, detailing Gohan opening presents, Goku/Gohan eating and ChiChi and the OxKing laughing.

6) Garlic Junior Saga. Liked this mainly because I got to see Krillin and Gohan interact a lot and aside from Goku-Gohan, their relationship is one of my favorites.

7) Pierego and the orphans. Liked the characters and seeing a group of children working together like that was intriguing. I especially liked their ideas of what kind of homes the government would put them in.

I like most of the filler actually...think it adds to the story.

Ulisa
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:11 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:57 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Hmmm. Normally I would agree with you, as normally I’m as much against the Saiya-jin overshadowing the other characters as anybody. But in this particular instance, I think that Nappa single handedly wiping out nearly the entire supporting cast totally works from a dramatic angle (all the more so when taking all of Dragon Ball and the filler training scenes into account)....[snip]
Well, I disagree with all that, but to go into why would get us wa~ay off topic. But you've given me some interesting food for thought.

Some more favorite filler: all that Pilaf stuff at the start of DragonBall. I think it was really clever how they blended this in with the scenes from the manga, so that you can hardly tell it's filler much of the time. I've heard lots of people say they were shocked when they read the manga and discovered that Pilaf doesn't show up until the end of the hunt for the dragonballs, and I think that shows just how well the writers tried to actually intergrate the filler into the storyline instead of making it a useless lump that just take up time between the scenes. And more Pilaf and co. is always a good thing.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:20 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:He DOES get interesting again via his characterization as Majin Vegeta in the Buu arc, and that coupled with his better portrayed relationship with his family gives him a much better defined reason to stick around as a good guy. But all that’s later on. Hence I consider his cowardice in the Cell Game filler to be an acceptable “blow” (or whatever) to the character’s “development” at the time, in favor of further demonstrating the strong bond of friendship that Gohan has built with all the other characters, which to me is FAR more important to the central story than dwelling on a comparatively newer character with flimsy, half written motivations.
I say that Buu-Arc-Vegeta has his roots in that scene. Vegeta apologizes to Gohan for getting in the way, and then actively helps him of his own volition. That and the deaths of Trunks and Goku turns Vegeta from the asshole of the Android Saga to the guy who chills out on Earth for seven years.

I think also that the pacing in the manga short-circuits a lot of what you said. It's five pages from when the beams collide (blasting everyone away) to when Vegeta attacks Cell, and a good chunk of that is Goku talking to Gohan telepathically.