Are the Dragonball Daizenshuu completely correct?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi

Are the Dragonball Daizenshuu completely correct?

Post by Chibi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 pm

I heard somewhere that the Daizenshuu is wrong in various ways, like Power Levels, information contradicted. I noted this one, after earth Bejita went from 18,000 to 24,000. Against Recoome Toriyama-sensei lowered him to 20,000. Atleast I saw that the Daizenshuu fixed that. In the Original release of the Manga, Bejita gets ready to fight Recoome, Jisu reads his battle power as being 20,000. In Daizenshuu 7's battle power chart, Vegeta's battle power for when Goku arrives on Planet Namek is 30,000. As far as I know, this was the first place to ever give Vegeta's battle power from that time as being 30,000. Now in the kanzenban re-release of the manga, the dialogue from before Bejita fights Recoome is changed so that Bejita's battle power is now...30,000. So in other words, the re-release of the manga was edited so that Vegeta's battle power matched what it was given as in Daizenshuu 7. What are the Daizenshuu's errors or contradictions whether Power Levels or pretty much anything else.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:27 pm

There's a few little mistakes, typos, and things of that nature. But they were put together by the very people who worked on the series itself, so all in all, they're nice, reliable guidebooks.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chibi

Post by Chibi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:57 pm

I see. Do you have any contributions from the Guide books that I can see, like quotes or proof of the mistakes, or minor lack of scrutiny as you say?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Kanzentai -> www.kanzentai.com has Daizenshuu number 1, 2, and 4 translated.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:21 pm

Well, I remember back in Daizenshuu 2 some of the chapter references were off, just three or four out of, like, eleventy trillion (God I hated typing those up...). But I think we corrected those for the site, which probably violates some sort of translator's code. Also, for the All Battles guide, it says something like "Freeza cornered Goku with 100% of his power, then Goku went Super Saiyan, blah blah blah" when it should be 50% instead of 100%, and for the first fight between Goku and Piccolo Daimao it says Goku has the last dragonball, when it was Kame-sennin who had the last few. We left those in though. I can't remember any mistakes from 4.

Back in 1, there's a picture of Freeza's third form that it labled his second form, and we have a note pointing out the mistake, but I think I might have been the one who goofed there. See, sometimes in Japanese they describe Freeza's forms based on the number of transformations he goes through to reach them. So his second form would be called his "first transformation form", or his final form is his "third transformation form". So I think in Daizenshuu 1 they might have called his third form his "second transformation form" and I just didn't pay attention, but I don't have my copy of Daizenshuu 1 with me now and can't confirm it.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Chibi

Post by Chibi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:46 pm

Chuquita wrote:Kanzentai -> www.kanzentai.com has Daizenshuu number 1, 2, and 4 translated.
Thanks a lot man, who translated them!!?? That must have been a lot of work.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 pm

That'd be me! Mahahahaha!! Well, me and Hujio. I did the translations and Hujio did the images, created the pages, did all of the overview pages for each daizenshuu, and proofread my translations. We won't have all of Daizenshuu 4 up on the site until Thursday though.

I was quite a bit of work though. And continues to be...

ついに1000以上!!
Last edited by Herms on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Chibi wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Kanzentai -> www.kanzentai.com has Daizenshuu number 1, 2, and 4 translated.
Thanks a lot man, who translated them!!?? That must have been a lot of work.

Actually, Chuquita is a girl. :wink:
Trans rights, now!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:43 am

TripleRach is also doing a Daizenshuu translation project. So far she's only fully translated Daizenshuu #7. You can find it on her site. Yay for the DB universe timeline~
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:04 am

Mind you, some of Daizenshuu 7 is a bit sketchy to me, too. Everything from Goku meeting Bulma, to summoning the dragon, only 8 days?
Trunks & Goten forever

Chibi

Post by Chibi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Xyex wrote:TripleRach is also doing a Daizenshuu translation project. So far she's only fully translated Daizenshuu #7. You can find it on her site. Yay for the DB universe timeline~

These people astonish me, the whole Daizenshuu? Translated?

Chibi

Post by Chibi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Herms wrote:That'd be me! Mahahahaha!! Well, me and Hujio. I did the translations and Hujio did the images, created the pages, did all of the overview pages for each daizenshuu, and proofread my translations. We won't have all of Daizenshuu 4 up on the site until Thursday though.

I was quite a bit of work though. And continues to be...

ついに1000以上!!
I admire you hardwork my hat goes off to you my friend, wow.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:18 pm

I just want to point out that Toryama did give his blessing to the team that wrote the Daizenshuu, so we can believe pretty much everything in them as if it came from The Creator's mouth. I'm also pretty sure that I read that many things in the Daizenshuu were ran past Toryama when the team wasn't positive about something or when something might have contradicted something else.
-------------------------------------
Thanos6 wrote:Mind you, some of Daizenshuu 7 is a bit sketchy to me, too. Everything from Goku meeting Bulma, to summoning the dragon, only 8 days?
I just looked through Kanzentai's extensive visual and textual summaries of DB episodes 1-13 (those are the ones you were talking about right?) and I didn't see anything that hinted that it took more than eight days to accomplish all that they did. In fact, from what I read/saw there was nothing that shows that the first saga too more than 6 days to get through, but when you consider how long it took the crew to get from place to place (since most of the time they didn't give us any clues) there's nothing that contradicts the Daizenshuu's "eight days". Of course that is what I think, the Daizenshuu could be wrong in that case, I am just trying to find ways to prove that it's not. :wink:

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:32 am

I just want to point out that Toryama did give his blessing to the team that wrote the Daizenshuu, so we can believe pretty much everything in them as if it came from The Creator's mouth. I'm also pretty sure that I read that many things in the Daizenshuu were ran past Toryama when the team wasn't positive about something or when something might have contradicted something else
Giving an OK and writing the books are 2 different things. Come on, Toriyama's been known to contradict himself within chapters of each other (Cell's Head Nucleus anyone?). I highly doubt Toriyama would be able to spot mistakes just by spot checking. I've seen a lot of the things in the Daizenshuu and while some stuff is very good. A lot of the material just seems to be pulled out of the writers asses. I don't think the Daizenshuu can be viewed as the holy god books of DragonBall as some people tend to view it as.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:27 pm

Hey Herms/Hujio, why did you describe Gohan as 'Mystic Gohan' under 1995 in Daizenshû #1?

Hope I'm not too off topic by asking that...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:16 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:Giving an OK and writing the books are 2 different things. Come on, Toriyama's been known to contradict himself within chapters of each other (Cell's Head Nucleus anyone?). I highly doubt Toriyama would be able to spot mistakes just by spot checking. I've seen a lot of the things in the Daizenshuu and while some stuff is very good. A lot of the material just seems to be pulled out of the writers asses. I don't think the Daizenshuu can be viewed as the holy god books of DragonBall as some people tend to view it as.
Well, in his introduction to Daizenshuu 7, Toriyama says he wishes he had had it while doing the series so that he could have kept track of everything.

Anyway, "A lot of the material just seems to be pulled out of the writers asses"? 99% of everything in them is either plot summary, organization of information taken from the series, stuff from Toriyama, interviews with Toriyama or the people behind the anime, and things like that.
JulieYBM wrote:Hey Herms/Hujio, why did you describe Gohan as 'Mystic Gohan' under 1995 in Daizenshû #1?

Hope I'm not too off topic by asking that...
Well, Hujio is the one who writes the pages that summarize each daizenshuu. I guess he just likes that term and/or felt like using it. Unless you were asking what "Mystic Gohan" itself meant. It's a fan term to refer to Gohan after he has his dormant power drawn out by the Elder Kaioshin.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Anyway, "A lot of the material just seems to be pulled out of the writers asses"? 99% of everything in them is either plot summary, organization of information taken from the series, stuff from Toriyama, interviews with Toriyama or the people behind the anime, and things like that.
Now hold on there. I know for a fact that there's stuff in the Daizenshuu that is never stated in the Manga. That's the kind of stuff that irks me.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:52 pm

That's why I said "99%". And we know that at least some of that stuff is from Toriyama (the map of the cosmos was drawn by him, things from Toriyama's notes are included).

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:55 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Hey Herms/Hujio, why did you describe Gohan as 'Mystic Gohan' under 1995 in Daizenshû #1?
I did that because I didn't really know what else to call him. I assumed more people would know what I meant if I wrote 'Mystic Gohan', even though it is not a proper term.

I'll throw in my two cents on the whole thing and cite one specific example. As Herms and I went through the second daizenshuu, we came across a lot of instances where the chapters listed for a certain event were wrong. Overall it wasn't a huge deal, but I'm surprised some of them were so off.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:18 pm

There were also two volume references that were off: the first appearance of Super Saiyan Vegeta and Kaioshin (I think we corrected those for the site as well). But the Adventure History section doesn't have any errors, so you can use it as a cross-check.

And then there's Planet Alpha...that's a real knot of mistakes that I kind of want to make a whole thread on. The short version is that it's a name Daizenshuu 7 and 10 use for either the planet that Kid Buu destroys before fighting the Kaioshin millions of years ago, or the planet Kid Buu destroys while searching for Goku and Vegeta. They can't really decide which.