What dose 'canon' mean to you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yasai-R-Mighty
Not-So-Newbie

What dose 'canon' mean to you?

Post by Yasai-R-Mighty » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:16 pm

Well obviously there are several discrepancies between the manga and the anime series' Dragonball and Dragonball z, then you have the movies which were created by Toei in some cases with the help of Toriyama in the form of providing character designs and such. There's also the whole of the GT series that's also a creation of Toei's, not that they would have without Toriyama's permission. My question is what parts of the Dragonball franchise do you consider 'canon' reality and which do you ignore?
[Insert mind blowingly cool quote here]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:21 pm

The manga and the manga alone.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:22 pm

All the manga, and all the anime filler that doesn't contradict it . Thats my canon. And probably most peoples.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 pm

Manga, DB and Z Anime including filler, and DB Online and them ONLY.

I consider GT an Alternate Universe.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:46 pm

From my point of view? A completely open-to-interpretation concept, when it comes to DragonBall. According to my interpretation, there are 2 different "main" canon areas; the Anime'verse and the Manga'verse, both separate universes for the DB characters and their stories. As two separate continuities, the Manga'verse revolves around the DB & Dr. Slum mangas, as well as possibly DBO, while the Anime'verse handles the DB and DBZ anime shows, all its filler included, the TV specials, a few movies, and all of GT. As you can see:

Manga'verse:
Dr. Slump manga.
DragonBall(/Z) manga.
(Possibly) DragonBall Online.

Anime'verse:
Bardock Special.
Original DragonBall Series -- Episodes 1 - 153.
Dead Zone Movie.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 1 - 117.
Trunks Special.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 118 - 125 (till the point where the screen freezes as the 3 years quickly pass by).
Cooler's Revenge Movie.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 125 (from the last minute of this episode when the 3 years have passed) - 176.
Super Android 13 Movie (set in "Timeline 4", where Cell never came to the past and the Androids were defeated differently).
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 177 - 194
Bojack Unbound Movie.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 195 - 288.
Wrath of the Dragon Movie.
DragonBall Z Series -- Episodes 289 - 291.
DragonBall GT Series -- Episodes 1 - 64 (right up to the final 8 minute sequence, culminating with Goku departing with Shenlong).
Goku Jr. Special.
DragonBall GT Series -- Episode 64 (the final 8 minutes, 100 years later).[
size=12][/size]
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:17 pm

Personally, I don't find myself too worried about concepts of "canon." I like to take what I can get and enjoy it for what it is, without having to worry about what does or doesn't seamlessly fit into the timeline or whatever. I've found that overall, I tend to enjoy it a lot more that way. I guess that's also why I have such a strange, gleeful obsession with GT.

But for the sake of the topic, I suppose if Mr. Toriyama himself and/or his personal staff either created it or gave it their blessing, I guess that's good enough for me. So I guess materials would include the manga and the Daizenshuu. 'Course, he/they did design some filler and movie characters and the like that really can't fit anywhere, but I'm talking more about things like the Bardock special. Toriyama liked that one so much, he actually put it right in the manga. Hard to argue with that.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:53 pm

The manga written by Akira Toriyama.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Well it means to spell the word "does" correctly :lol: . But seriously, to me it means whatever Toriyama actually draws and puts in some form of manga.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:37 pm

Pain wrote:Well it means to spell the word "does" correctly :lol: . But seriously, to me it means whatever Toriyama actually draws and puts in some form of manga.
Seeing as he spelled the word "discrepancies" correctly, I suspect that mistake was a typo. XP

Anyway, canon to me in mainly the manga I suppose, anime too not including filler. I agree with Kaboom though in that I really don't get too hung up over it.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:52 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Pain wrote:Well it means to spell the word "does" correctly :lol: . But seriously, to me it means whatever Toriyama actually draws and puts in some form of manga.
Seeing as he spelled the word "discrepancies" correctly, I suspect that mistake was a typo. XP
Still stands. I got the big red text by accidentally missing the shift button when spelling Trunks' name when it was spelled correctly earlier in the same paragraph. But anyway, pretty much the manga and the filler that doesn't contradict anything.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:43 pm

Rocketman wrote:The manga and the manga alone.
Agreed. I'm a manga fanboy so I'll stick to Toriyama's canon.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:50 pm

The manga of course, or anything that is, how do I properly say it, O.K. by Akira Toriyama.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:09 am

To me canon is the Manga and all fully done Toriyama concepts. Such as Yamcha being a baseball player and potentially the new Special.

Edit: Oh, and I consider the complete events of the Bardock Special to be canon. People may disagree on this, but I believe that since Toriyama loved the special and referenced it in the Manga that the entire Special is therefore canon-ized. Just my opinion though.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:36 am

Kid Trunks wrote:All the manga, and all the anime filler that doesn't contradict it . Thats my canon. And probably most peoples.
That's about my opinion on it too. GT doesn't exist in my cannon either, just as a note.

I'll second the comments about the Burdok movie ^^ That's a fun little story about how he liked it so much he put him in the manga.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:59 am

I have a problem with accepting parts of filler as canon. Because every person is different in what they view as un-contradictory.

On a debating level, I stick to the Manga and Manga alone. But in my own mind, I have personal parts where I just believe it happened as in the Anime because some filler may have done something so well. Such as Piccolo, Krillin, Tien, & Yamcha all attacking Cell during Gohan & Cell's Kamehameha clash. Just so much better than the Manga.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 am

Whatever I like is my canon. However, in debates it's the manga plus anything that doesn't contradict it and that doesn't feel terribly out of place. I guess that makes it subjective again, but I think debates about what's canon and what's not are stupid anyway :P
It's all GOOD

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:04 am

To me, there are two different canons. Manga Canon and Anime Canon.

Manga Canon included the manga.

Anime Canon includes the DB, DBZ, and DBGT anime, as well as all the TV Specials, and DBZ Movies 1 and 13. (Not 1 to 13, just 1 and 13. Though 9 could easily fit into Anime Canon)

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:33 am

The Manga is the main one, The Anime is like a second one with too much filler, and the movies are strange ones.
The Bardock special retcons one thing in the series though, so I'm not sure about it.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Well Akira Toriyama did make Bardock a canon character in The Frieza saga.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:22 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Well Akira Toriyama did make Bardock a canon character in The Freeza saga.
Yes and he wrote the Trunks Story which is very close to the TV special.

Not sure wich came first though.

But canon? the dictionary definition is
"an ecclesiastical rule or law enacted by a council or other competent authority and, in the Roman Catholic Church, approved by the pope."

or its
"Printing. a 48-point type."

so yeah, the fanboy definition is silly