Gohan and his differences in other timelines

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Gohan and his differences in other timelines

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:40 am

Gohan from the time line we know and the Gohan from Trunk's time line are very different.
Gohan in the present time line does develop but his personality pretty much stays the same. He has lots of power but let it all go to waste, do to his studying.
Future/Mirai, I go by Future, Gohan is a very different and very grown-up!
We all know Gohan is forced to grow-up in a big way when Radditz first arrives. But when he is faced with the androids all alone, all he Z-Warriors dead, he be comes an adult in many ways. Number one, he gives up his life for Trunks. This is something the Gohan we know never did or had to face. But the reality is Gohan was a cry baby for a long time, even through some of the Cell arc. It takes a lot of prodding with him to even become a Super Saiyajin.
Future Gohan, on the other hand, has to become one. He is really forced to become a great fighter like his father. With the death of his friends he becomes a super saiyajin, in the TV special he says that. Even though Gohan becomes very powerful it is still not enough to defeat the androids, which he knows.
But he still gives up his arm, last senzu bean in existence, and his own life for Trunks.

As you can see these two persona are very different.
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:42 am

That's why Future Gohan is kinda better then the other Gohan. Too bad his SSJ power is not enough to battle with Android #17 using about 20-33% of his power.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:47 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:That's why Future Gohan is kinda better then the other Gohan. Too bad his SSJ power is not enough to battle with Android #17 using about 20-33% of his power.
Yeah...I really love this side of Gohan.
In the TV special, he sames a whole lot stranger than in the manga.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:58 am

I agree. In the special, it looked like Gohan actually was going to win. He overpowered both of the Androids beams with his one beam, and was just overall cool. The manga made him look pathetic once #17 stated he didn't use half of his power in the last battle. That made me upset just reading that.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:41 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:I agree. In the special, it looked like Gohan actually was going to win. He overpowered both of the Androids beams with his one beam, and was just overall cool. The manga made him look pathetic once #17 stated he didn't use half of his power in the last battle. That made me upset just reading that.
It wouldn't really fit the style of the timeline for Gohan to save the day and be strong enough to defeat the Jinzoningen ( I just wanted to say Jinzoningen 8) ). Trunks is to the future timeline what Gohan is to the present timeline.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:45 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:I agree. In the special, it looked like Gohan actually was going to win. He overpowered both of the Androids beams with his one beam, and was just overall cool. The manga made him look pathetic once #17 stated he didn't use half of his power in the last battle. That made me upset just reading that.
I agree, as someone who saw the Special first, the Manga Chapter was very disappointing. But what could you expect? Toriyama couldn't take off too long from the main story to give us a nicely detailed Trunks story.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:15 am

Lavender Saiyan wrote:I agree, as someone who saw the Special first, the Manga Chapter was very disappointing. But what could you expect? Toriyama couldn't take off too long from the main story to give us a nicely detailed Trunks story.
I thought it was nicely detailed. #17 was stronger than a Vegeta who'd busted his ass training for three years. He was going to be far, far stronger than a Gohan whose last training was the year before the Saiyans arrived.

And it is kinda funny that both of the future Super Saiyans were so much weaker than SSJ Goku on Namek.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:56 am

How do you even figure that? Surley Gohan was able to train over a span of 13 years.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:11 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:How do you even figure that? Surley Gohan was able to train over a span of 13 years.
Or at least figure to go to Kami's look out if it hasn't been destroyed, maybe discovered the Room of Spirit and Time.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:21 pm

I'm pretty sure anything on Kami's lookout is likely oblivion by that point. Trunks stated that the senzu planet was gone, and if Korin is still there, that shouldn't be. The Androids likely destroyed everything from Korin's tower to Kami's lookout.

Gohan would have knew of the rosat at that point, since no one, outside of Piccolo/Kami, Goku, or Popo knew of it.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:I agree, as someone who saw the Special first, the Manga Chapter was very disappointing. But what could you expect? Toriyama couldn't take off too long from the main story to give us a nicely detailed Trunks story.
I thought it was nicely detailed. #17 was stronger than a Vegeta who'd busted his ass training for three years. He was going to be far, far stronger than a Gohan whose last training was the year before the Saiyans arrived.

And it is kinda funny that both of the future Super Saiyans were so much weaker than SSJ Goku on Namek.
Gohan didn't train during all those years and he and Trunks were weaker than Namek Goku?

Is this somehow implied in the manga?
I certainly didn't get that from the TV series. What I did get was that Trunks, after spending his life training with Gohan, and after training on his own for years after unlocking SSJ, does far less impressively than Goahn against 17 and 18. Then, in the past, he smokes Freeza in the blink of an eye. Goku was stronger upon his arrival on Earth, but he had been training in space and was stronger than he had been on Namek.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Onikage725 wrote:Gohan didn't train during all those years and he and Trunks were weaker than Namek Goku?

Is this somehow implied in the manga?
Base Gohan blocks SSJ Trunks' attacks with one arm in a short sparring session before the Androids attack a nearby city.

Gohan goes off after knocking Trunks out, goes SSJ and challenges 17. 17 says he didn't even use half of his power last time (after expressing surprise that Gohan survived his last beating) then charges. Gohan gets the same look on his face that Vegeta did when Oozaru kid Gohan fell on him. 18 just laughs, making no move to get involved.

After the battle with the Androids in the main timeline, Trunks tells the others that he could fight both future Androids at once for a time. Trunks is therefore stronger than SSJ Gohan was.

Super Saiyan Goku blocks SSJ Trunks' sword attacks with minuscule effort and Gohan says that Trunks' ki was the same as his dad's on Namek.

I admit that I was too harsh on stating 'Gohan didn't train' BUT! The thing is, he doesn't DBZ train. He has no gravity machines, no Hyperbolic Time Chamber, no senzu to abuse the zenkai like Goku did on the way to Namek, and he has no equals to train with for thirteen years or so (and as shown above, Trunks was so weak even base Gohan can fight him in SSJ). Therefore his power growth is much, much lower than what we think of usually when we hear 'Super Saiyan training'.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:01 pm

Gohan said that was the same chi, but I think that was more of a reference to the SSJ energy if anything. Trunks is likely beyond SSJ Goku on namek, and we know he's weaker then Yardrat Goku.

Both Gohan & Trunks are beyond Goku on namek. Trunks also could've still been weaker then SSJ Gohan, he just thought he could take the Androids down, just like he thought he could take Cell down. The Androids used less then their full-power against Trunks, too, which is why he stated he could do okay against them.

Once Trunks returns, #17 believes that #18 could trash him by herself.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:34 pm

The Trunks special is awesome.... It's what the show would be like without the Dragon Balls, which I thought was extremely cool to see.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Gohan is still much stronger than Trunks. Trunks really doesn't surpass Gohan until the room of spirit and time. Only present Goku and Vegeta, maybe Piccolo, are on the same level as Gohan.
The manga made him look pathetic once #17 stated he didn't use half of his power in the last battle. That made me upset just reading that.
I totally agree! I wonder why there is such a difference in the anime and manga?

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Think about it, if the only family and friends you knew since you were born were slaughtered in front of you, i think you would change a bit as well.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:26 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:Gohan is still much stronger than Trunks. Trunks really doesn't surpass Gohan until the room of spirit and time. Only present Goku and Vegeta, maybe Piccolo, are on the same level as Gohan.
On what do you base this?

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Forgotten Hero wrote:Gohan is still much stronger than Trunks. Trunks really doesn't surpass Gohan until the room of spirit and time. Only present Goku and Vegeta, maybe Piccolo, are on the same level as Gohan.
Maybe the Trunks from the movie, but I'd say by the time Trunks fights Freeza in the present timeline he's about even with if not stronger than Gohan.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:53 pm

Lavender Saiyan wrote:How do you even figure that? Surley Gohan was able to train over a span of 13 years.
Gohan spent those 13 years running and ducking for his life. I even doubt that his SSJ transformation came from training. That was probably due to his anger over the death of Piccolo and the others.
Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo all eclipse Future Gohan. I think he's a cool character and all, but he was kinda weak as Rocketman stated in his posts above.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:54 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:Think about it, if the only family and friends you knew since you were born were slaughtered in front of you, i think you would change a bit as well.
Were you refering to me?