Ocean Group Dub (Post Episode 53)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Ocean Group Dub (Post Episode 53)

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:09 am

I was curious, what are your thoughts on the Ocean Group Dub after Episode 53. I've recently been watching A LOT Episodes and clips of it over on YouTube...And I really have to say. There were a lot of bad choices made.

In the Original 53 Episodes there was quite a lot of good acting. Brian Drummond, Scott McNeil, Ted Cole, Ian Corlett (Even though his yelling was weak)...But I've been hearing stuff like Future Trunks, not only is the voice not very good and too old sounding. But the acting is just not very good. Then there's Cell, more specifically Perfect. His voice wasn't so terrible...But the acting is really bad. I mean it makes Early Schemmel's Power Dump sound good.

In addition, the general way the voices are, delivery (Drummond and McNeil aside), music, and even the altered sound effects just make the series sound very Saturday Morning Cartoonish. At least with Funimation, once you get to the Trunks stuff the acting picks up and even a lot of the music from Faulconer is well placed. It at least sounds like an action and not...English Sonic X.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:18 am

I want to watch it purely for the VAs that I've grown to love (Scott, Ian, Brian) and not so much the quality of the translation. I bought all of the early Pioneer singles for these guys and I'd do it again for the rest of the show for the same reasons.

I don't really care about the music or random badguys or basically anythingbut Brian, Scott and Ian. And Peter, as I've heard that he comes back later on and I loves me some Surfer Goku. If I want accuracy I can always jump back to the Japanese. Picking an English version is a concious choice to waive accuracy for one reason or another.

On the acting for these guys? In my personal opinion, these guys on their worst days are more plesant to listen to than other VA sets on their best. I understand that other people have different opinions and that's fine.

So, basically, oh my god I want to find all of these episodes with Ocean. I'd sit there and fast forward through the megaman music and Android 19's horrible sounds and just listen whenever my boys were on ^^
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:27 am

Being that Ocean's dub of these episodes were my first experience of these episodes I didn't mind it. I enjoyed Kirby Goku, although I don't particularily care for Matt Hill's Teen Gohan.

This shows' theme always screwed me up on the alphabet. I'd always say "Zee" instead of "Zed".
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:28 am

It's not 'zee'? :shock:

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:34 am

Velasa wrote:...............

It's not 'zee'? :shock:
Yeah us Canadians, and many of the other former British colonies (US excluded) say "Zed", because it's British English.

But this show was always known as DragonBall "Zee" here. That and GameBoy Color didn't do good things for my English class.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:38 am

Oh! Alright ^^;

I thought I was really out of the loop here and had been pronouncing the name of the show wrong for the last... nine years.... Little language diffrences are fine. I personally always put an 'e' in grey, it just looks so much better that way. But this is off topic and I'm rambling. Back to the post at hand!

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]