What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:09 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Photo evidence of the words "Son" and "Goku" being used together in a mainstream English Dragon Ball product:
I find it more surprising they used the authentic logo of Dragon Ball which looks awesome. As for "Son Goku" that's fairly standard in the West, not necessarily in the English market, as you pointed out.

"Son Gokou" would be going the extra mile for that accuracy. :P
That will never happen now, while not western specific merch they did release Japanese merch internationally with the "Gokou" spelling in tow for pretty much up until 2018 however they have now stopped that and are now using the appropriate "Goku" spelling (aswell as appropriate logos) on international versions (example Japanese Shintani KV "Son Gokou" versus international Shintani KV "Son Goku")

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Photo evidence of the words "Son" and "Goku" being used together in a mainstream English Dragon Ball product:
I find it more surprising they used the authentic logo of Dragon Ball which looks awesome. As for "Son Goku" that's fairly standard in the West, not necessarily in the English market, as you pointed out.
The use of the OG DB logo isn't actually the first time Funko have done it! They sold a very similar figure of Kid Goku on the Nimbus, only he was standing on it with the Nyoi-bo drawn. That figure had a bunch of differences, mainly in that the head and hair was all one piece, so Goku's forehead was recessed for moulding reasons. With the new sitting pose, they've redone it so that the fringe is a separate piece, similar to Nendroids. The Nimbus itself was also one piece of hard plastic, while in the new one it's two pieces of a softer material. There was also another figure of Bulma in the pink dress from the first episode with the Dragon Radar. She and Son Goku are specific to the early series, so they get the logo.

As for the name, I suspect it's also to differentiate it from the other figures; the figure titled "Goku" is a very old Adult Goku figure (seriously, the hair mold looks awful today!), and the original DB one I mentioned earlier is called "Goku on the Flying Nimbus", so the use of Son Goku for this one is most likely to give it a unique name in the product listing.

The rest of the time the characters are given the DBZ logo if their classic outfits appeared in Z (such as Master Roshi or Piccolo), and other times a character may deliberately be put in a costume from Z so that logo is justified (such as Tien and his exposed shoulder gi). A slight exception is Bulma, as she has two Pops: the pink dress I mentioned, as well as her Namek design. Also I include the DBZ Krillin Pop in the DB lineup because he doesn't look any different, and the circle of the Kame symbol is yellow like in the original anime!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 am

A movie ticket to watch Dragon Ball Super: Broly tomorrow.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm

I recently collected the Dragon Ball Super blu-rays for fear that Toei would remove the Japanese version just as they did with Digimon Adventure. But I've also been collecting the manga version of Super.

TheNamekGio
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheNamekGio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:43 pm

Back again with my newest purchase! And boy was it an expensive one at that!!! :mrgreen:
I'm a DB veteran thats paid my DB dues!!

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:04 am

TheNamekGio wrote:Back again with my newest purchase! And boy was it an expensive one at that!!! :mrgreen:
That awkward moment when theres only 7 Dragon balls but you need an 8th! Haha

Looks good though!

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:50 pm

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Doesn't have to be cannon to look better than ssj3! :lol:

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 am

I bought this like a week ago from Japan, got it for about £5, along with #1 for £4 (Hasn't arrived yet), so that's the first 12 episodes Dragon Box quality for less than a tenner, I guess I'll keep going, then get GT next?

Also got some Mega64 stickers based on their Cell Saga video!

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:49 am

Completed the Dragon Boxes over the past month. Yes I collected all 7 dragon boxes in less than a month lol

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:53 am

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Completed the Dragon Boxes over the past month. Yes I collected all 7 dragon boxes in less than a month lol
Well I obtained all of my Dragon Boxes within one week and I ordered them all on the game night lol. :lol:

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 am

ZodaEX wrote:
Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Completed the Dragon Boxes over the past month. Yes I collected all 7 dragon boxes in less than a month lol
Well I obtained all of my Dragon Boxes within one week and I ordered them all on the game night lol. :lol:
That’s awesome! Got me beat. Game night?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:14 am

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
OMG that is so freaking awesome, i have most all of them myself with the exception of volumes 4 and 7 which i'm still on the hunt on eBay for. :thumbup:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
OMG that is so freaking awesome, i have most all of them myself with the exception of volumes 4 and 7 which i'm still on the hunt on eBay for. :thumbup:
Idk if you have heard of a app called Mercari but it’s awsome and you should download it. A seller is selling vol. 4 for 205. That’s really good for how rare 4 is.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 am

Pre-ordered the steelbook version Bluray of the movie :wave:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 am

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:
Idk if you have heard of a app called Mercari but it’s awsome and you should download it. A seller is selling vol. 4 for 205. That’s really good for how rare 4 is.
Hmm very interesting, i'll have to look into that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Idk if you have heard of a app called Mercari but it’s awsome and you should download it. A seller is selling vol. 4 for 205. That’s really good for how rare 4 is.
Can't believe sellers are charging such obnoxious prices. When TOEI reveals and releases their Dragon Ball Z HD Blu-rays, the Dragon Boxes Z will eventually lose their value.

The best thing for me about the Dragon Boxes Z are the books, and the art from the discs.
mute_proxy wrote:Pre-ordered the steelbook version Bluray of the movie :wave:
That looks good but Manga UK steelbooks end up losing their value so guess I'll just wait. Hope that FUNimation and Selecta Visión make Collector's Edition(s) with actual value to it.

For example; Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy (to redeem on the Play Store or App Store), Booklet, Soundtrack, Poster and a Dragon Ball card of sorts.

Edit: I assume you pre-ordered it from Zavvi which is at £22.99 (99p delivery).

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/dragon-ba ... 39857.html

I thought it'd cost around £20ish and it does. I'll wait after it releases and then snatch for £10~15.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Idk if you have heard of a app called Mercari but it’s awsome and you should download it. A seller is selling vol. 4 for 205. That’s really good for how rare 4 is.
Can't believe sellers are charging such obnoxious prices. When TOEI reveals and releases their Dragon Ball Z HD Blu-rays, the Dragon Boxes Z will eventually lose their value.

The best thing for me about the Dragon Boxes Z are the books, and the art from the discs.
That looks good but Manga UK steelbooks end up losing their value so guess I'll just wait. Hope that FUNimation and Selecta Visión make Collector's Edition(s) with actual value to it.

For example; Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy (to redeem on the Play Store or App Store), Booklet, Soundtrack, Poster and a Dragon Ball card of sorts.

I thought it'd cost around £20ish and it does. I'll wait after it releases and then snatch for £10~15.
I have actually been able to find most of the Dragon Boxes i own for good deals on eBay, mostly in the range for $60 to $80 on the high end so it's coming along good. I definitely like having the complete proper presentation of the Japanese version in the best possible quality as far as DVD goes.

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

From the sounds of it, doesn’t look like anytime soon they will be releasing a worthy blu ray version of Z like the level sets that were discontinued. The blu rays we have now are no better than the orange bricks other then slightly clearer. I love the Dragon Boxes. Now I agree the price some sellers are trying to get (500 a box) is just ridiculous. I paid 750 for the lot and that’s about a 100 a box and 4 of them were new unwrapped. I’m ok with what I spent but some ppl prolly look at me like a crazy lol

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

From the sounds of it, doesn’t look like anytime soon they will be releasing a worthy blu ray version of Z like the level sets that were discontinued. The blu rays we have now are no better than the orange bricks other then slightly clearer. I love the Dragon Boxes. Now I agree the price some sellers are trying to get (500 a box) is just ridiculous. I paid 750 for the lot and that’s about a 100 a box and 4 of them were new unwrapped. I’m ok with what I spent but some ppl prolly look at me like a crazy lol
My sentiments exactly, i went with the Dragon Boxes since there is likely no release coming in the near future that will be to the level of quality of either those or the aforementioned Level BD's. I absolutely refuse to waste my money on those faux widescreen and DNR'd into oblivion season releases. At this point i am frequently checking eBay and trying to see if good deals for volumes 4 and 7 come up that are less that $200 for both. Fingers crossed!!!