What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:12 am

OkamiTakahashi wrote: I don't own a Blu-Ray player. Never saw the appeal of it, and Blu-Ray is supposedly dying out anyway.
I'd recommend getting the edited VHS tapes then. They're pretty much just liked the footage that aired on Toonami and the closest you'll get to it besides owning recordings. IIRC, the only difference is that some of Dale Kelly's narration was redubbed in the Cell arc by Kyle Herbert. The uncut VHS tapes aren't much different besides some censoring and Mr Satan is called as such instead of "Hercule".

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:23 pm

OkamiTakahashi wrote:I don't own a Blu-Ray player.
I don't either, but that's because my personal TV is a CRT for old games, and I haven't played them on an HDTV that didn't have extremely noticeable input lag. Plus I'm not that picky about picture quality, and I don't want to repurchase every movie or TV show I own.

The thing is... my CRT is having problems turning on, so I'll probably have to get an HDTV since Goodwill and other thrift stores seem to be phasing out CRTs, so I might end up getting a Blu-ray player after all. :wtf:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:28 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: The thing is... my CRT is having problems turning on, so I'll probably have to get an HDTV since Goodwill and other thrift stores seem to be phasing out CRTs, so I might end up getting a Blu-ray player after all. :wtf:
CRTs are awesome. Love em. Especially for watching Dragon Ball. I actually had some problems with mine last year but someone recommended me a Sony Trinitron? I'd recommend getting one of those. They look good and I plan on purchasing one soon.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:30 pm

The TV in question is a Sony Trinitron... and the picture quality is excellent, which is why I'm so saddened by it. I have to press power about 20-30 times to turn it on.

I want to open it up and look at it (I know it's caked with dust, and dusting it might fix the problem), but I've heard of Flyback Transformers and how deadly they are.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:The TV in question is a Sony Trinitron... and the picture quality is excellent, which is why I'm so saddened by it. I have to press power about 20-30 times to turn it on.

I want to open it up and look at it (I know it's caked with dust, and dusting it might fix the problem), but I've heard of Flyback Transformers and how deadly they are.
Dang dude. I hope you get a new one soon. And if you don't mind me asking, which of your Dragon Ball home releases that you own look best on it? I've been thinking about getting the Funimation singles to watch on my new Trinitron whenever I get it. I heard the japanese audio track on those sound pretty nice.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Kai and the Dragon Boxes look phenomenal on it. The singles tend to look decent, whereas they usually look horrible in screenshots and HDTVs, but that's highly dependent on the episode, since the original digibeta masters quality varied greatly between chunks of episodes.

Even the Orange Bricks look decent on it.

The only time the single DVDs audio is really superior though is probably movie 13, because the Double Feature is mono and also extremely muffled somehow, and the single is in stereo, and sounds very clear.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:46 am

OkamiTakahashi wrote:
I don't own a Blu-Ray player. Never saw the appeal of it, and Blu-Ray is supposedly dying out anyway.
Not bloody likely. VHS has only just 'died' last month with confirmation Japan isn't making the VHS machines anymore.. DVD is still a big seller, and Blu-Ray even more so.. UHD just hit the market too.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:04 am

OkamiTakahashi wrote:
I don't own a Blu-Ray player. Never saw the appeal of it, and Blu-Ray is supposedly dying out anyway.
Blu-Ray allows to air things in HD and can hold up more stuff on a disc. Not to mention Ultra HD Blu-ray is officially a thing now. People are still buying things physical and it will likely be that like for a now. Digital releases can be fine, but streaming sites and digital web sitesdon't keep their catalogues forever. With a DVD or Blu-Ray you have a copy to watch whenever you choose.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Picked up the Fortuneteller Baba, Tien Shin-han and Piccolo Jr Part One two disc sets. Once I find a decent price for Part Two I'll own the entire original series minus episodes 1-13!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:57 pm

Oh shit, it came.

One of my all time dream items, not even just by Dragon Ball standards. Have always wanted this as a kid, then gave up as an adult because of the outrageous price it went for. However, just recently I must have got the best deal of all time for it.

Appropriately enough given Dragon Ball Super's current arc, it's the Super Battle Collection 3 pack: Goku, Vegeta and Future Trunks:

You'd be amazed how great these figures look, especially considering they were originally released in 1992. They don't make boxes like this, either. Legit one of my favorite possessions that I own. It's fucking great.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:24 pm

^Holy crap dude what a great scoop!! Mad jealous right now.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:01 am

Was in a Japan Town recently and cleared a bookstore out of non-Dragon Ball Toriyama manga. I only left Sandland (which I already own in its English-language edition) and Kajika. They had a bunch of art books and multiple Kanzenban volumes I didn't have the funds for as well.

Those are the 2014 printings of Akira Toriyama's Manga Theatre volumes 2 and 3 (lit. Akira Toriyama・Theatre of Works), and the entirety of Cowa!. I didn't even know there were 2014 printings of this stuff, so I was pretty thrilled to find them.

Of Dragon Ball note, Theatre Volume 2 contains both "Dragon Boy" and "The Adventures of Tongpoo," which read heavily like trial runs for the series ("Tongpoo" contains panels that are recreated nearly exactly in the first few chapters of Dragon Ball). It also contains "Today's Highlight Island," which sees several of its elements and designs incorporated into Dr. Slump (unfortunately it's not nearly as funny; growing pains).

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Just got a Big Box Dragon Ball Z for $15 (not including shipping fees) via Samuraibuyer! I will post some pictures soon!

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:16 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That marks the halfway point, only 7 more of these and a Jaco until I'm done (not including the DBS Manga).
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:56 pm

My Dragon Ball Gals Blooma Bunny Suit Ver. arrived at the post office today. It was scheduled to come to my house for delivery for tomorrow but I had some spare time and went to get it personally. I'm afraid to take her out of the box!

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:20 pm

I founds someone selling all of the Dragon Box DVD sets for a lower price than what I usually see... and I had to buy it. It was my one and so far ONLY chance to own my favorite the rest of my favorite anime series the way it was intended to be seen, NOT CROPPED! Now I finally own all of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:49 pm

JulieYBM wrote:My Dragon Ball Gals Blooma Bunny Suit Ver. arrived at the post office today. It was scheduled to come to my house for delivery for tomorrow but I had some spare time and went to get it personally. I'm afraid to take her out of the box!

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
I took mine out the box... and I ripped up the box and threw it away. (I do that for every figure I get).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 pm

I do want to take her out, but I'm afraid of damaging her since I don't have the proper protection...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:45 pm

I love you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:17 am

I bought the Fusion Reborn/Wrath of the Dragon Blu-Ray a few days ago, but DBZ Sagas on PS2 came in the mail yesterday so I'm not sure which one is technically more "recent."
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello