Live Action Movie Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:14 pm

omegacwa wrote:[img]http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/cwabackyar ... idedsm.jpg[/I'm g]

Alright, I got bored. Here is the original uncolored drawing which I much prefer.
http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/cwabackyar ... an0002.jpg

By the way, this is just for humor. So nobody get offended.
I lol'd :lol:

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Bura wrote: Image
Any thoughts?
Might be possible to pass it of as a crappy Videl.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:22 pm

Is that a Genki Dama!? :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 pm

"Son Goku arrives at the battlefield to find that Lord Piccolo has just murdered his Master in cold blood!"

Actually it would be cool if that was the case. It'd be one of the few things in this movie that have the "Dragon Ball" feel. Goku stronger than ever rushing to the battlefield (late as hell) to save his friends from the bad guy...Who is an unruly prick.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:33 pm

The problem with this movie is that it's taking a fantasy and putting it in a realistic setting. That sort of throws out what made the original so great...

I'm inclined to think the Piccolo picture was just bad lighting--the one with his name on it--but looking at the second where he's in red you can tell around his mouth that the make-up is either worn away or he was in a human form.

The picture with Son holding up his arms: maybe he's preparing to flip forward?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:36 pm

...Wow...Yeah, Goku definitely looks upset right there about his masters death. You can totally see the sadness in his eyes. :lol:
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Tsukento wrote:Image
You can't unsee it!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Bura wrote: Image
Any thoughts?
It kind of looks like he's doing jazz hands or something.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Hey, do you guys think they'll just CGI the Green in onto Piccolo?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:
Chuquita said : That is depressing.
Then you must be easily depressed huh... :? (Just playing! Don't break me off a new one! >_<)

Um, no? :?

I'm quite an optimistic person in general; the direction they took with this film just rubs me the wrong way. ^^;

I'm disappointed that "Piccolo" looks nothing like Piccolo. They might as well just change his name too; they've changed almost everything else about his physical appearance. (Save the slightly pointy ears).
Last edited by Chuquita on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 pm

omegacwa wrote:http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/cwabackyar ... idedsm.jpg

Alright, I got bored. Here is the original uncolored drawing which I much prefer.
http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/cwabackyar ... an0002.jpg

By the way, this is just for humor. So nobody get offended.
But that's Jr. The one in the movie is "supposed" to be based off of Daimao. o.o

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:05 pm

Man I guess this movie is gonna be the last big "hurrah" for Dragon Ball. All it's got left is that little uh "Special" that's probably not going to be all that great. Then there's the online game and that's it. Too bad. This movie could have changed everything but now it's just gonna cause Dragon Ball to lose more credibility and sink further into people's memories.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 pm

I guess Tsukento never posted that--hilarious--video he made?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:23 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Man I guess this movie is gonna be the last big "hurrah" for Dragon Ball. All it's got left is that little uh "Special" that's probably not going to be all that great. Then there's the online game and that's it. Too bad. This movie could have changed everything but now it's just gonna cause Dragon Ball to lose more credibility and sink further into people's memories.
I don't know about that. Godzilla '98 was universally panned within the Godzilla fandom, and public reaction was relatively disappointing. But despite the poor American attempt, it was the catalyst for the revival of the franchise in Japan. If there's a silver lining here, it's that no matter how awful this may turn out to be, it may spark greater interest in the franchise in Japan than we've seen in over a decade. Only good can come from that.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Man I guess this movie is gonna be the last big "hurrah" for Dragon Ball.
I doubt that somehow. I won't be surprised if we see more Dragonball specials in the near future. Dragonball maybe over 23 years old, but its only 12 years finished. And its only been released on dvd in Japan in the last couple of years, which I'd say is giving it its second wind. Its freshness over there is all that really matters.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Yeah but it's like Mr. Toriyama is gonna start drawing Manga again or Toei is going to make a new series. Those things could have happened over and over again by now. The show has been over in Japan for like 13 years. I'll always love Dragon Balls but I'm tired of mediocre fighting games where the first person I have to fight is Raditz and the final guy I fight is either Kid Buu (or if I'm being ripped off Cell) and I've read the manga like 10 times over by now. Hopefully they'll keep releasing Daizenshuu but even that shit looks bleak. If this "Live Action" shit was done right then it would have changed everything but nope. That's not the case. :?

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:40 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Yeah but it's like Mr. Toriyama is gonna start drawing Manga again or Toei is going to make a new series.
Or Toei could remake the series? Better animation, condense it down by cutting all of the filler fat, make changes where Toriyama wanted to do things differently in the manga (make Gohan the hero in the end), and perhaps bring in Toriyama to write out an outline for a new saga after Buu?

There are many things Toei could do with the franchise with a renewed fanbase in Japan, and the live action film will re-energize the franchise regardless of its quality (see Godzilla). And anime companies have a long history of taking their classic franchises, and updating them for new generations (see Casshern Sins, Giant Robo, Gatchaman, etc). The difference here is that there will be a palpable demand for new Dragon Ball media, especially after the '08 Special and the live action film. I'd say it's an exciting time to be a Dragon Ball fan.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:45 pm

The show has been finished for over a decade. I agree that those things are possible but it ain't likely. I mean they're bringing back Fullmetal Alchemist, Yu-gi-oh is getting another spin off, and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to revive Inuyasha. Dragon Ball is better than all of those and what are we (or should I say what is JAPAN) getting ? A new special that's probably gonna be like 30 minutes long. I look at the Naruto fans and the One Piece fans and every week they're on the edge of their seats. Meanwhile we're over here complaining about box art.....*leans forward* BOX ART! Not badly drawn box art but regular ass box art. Yeah Dragon Ball is over so I can't expect to be on the edge of my seat every week but still. Like I said I love it to death but damn...shits getting old man! To me this Live Action movie was the freshest shit we've had in a loooooooong time....and they fucked it up.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:04 pm

snaku wrote:There are many things Toei could do with the franchise with a renewed fanbase in Japan, and the live action film will re-energize the franchise regardless of its quality (see Godzilla). And anime companies have a long history of taking their classic franchises, and updating them for new generations (see Casshern Sins, Giant Robo, Gatchaman, etc). The difference here is that there will be a palpable demand for new Dragon Ball media, especially after the '08 Special and the live action film. I'd say it's an exciting time to be a Dragon Ball fan.
I agree with this. Dragonball may be old here because we've have dvds for so many years now. But over in Japan it has just been released in singles. I'm sure thats given it a new freshness over there. Also, it only feels like its had its last hoorah in the west because we could do nothing more than rehash what we got from Japan, since Dragonball isn't made here. Now that the dvds are out in Japan, its popularity may well cause a demand for new material. Hence the new special. And if that succeeds, which it probably will, then who knows what may happen.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Seriously!? They're JUST now getting the show on DVD ? That's....crazy! Still it's not like the show isn't still popular. With the sales from the video games and the constant cameos and additions in other games...I mean come on! Are you telling me Toei doesn't already KNOW how popular the series STILL is ? They could have made a new show 3 times over by now.