Live Action Movie Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JAPPO
I Live Here

Live Action Movie Thread

Post by JAPPO » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:23 pm

Update: it's obvious none of you can be respectful to anyone. Go find the news yourself.
Last edited by JAPPO on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:27 pm

I would love to have a thread that can actually sustain itself in that fashion, but I've been proven wrong every single time...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 pm

I agree, let's try to keep this one mostly for news, and see if we can keep it civil.

That said, I'll start off with the latest news. There's a bunch of new stuff from Roadshow magazine in Japan...

http://dbthemovie.com/2008/08/22/roadsh ... ber-issue/

In a nutshell:

-- Justin Chatwin has done his research, reading up on the Monkey King legend as well as through the entire DragonBall manga. He's gotten a feel for Goku's character and is trying his best to stay true to it. He's done a lot of physical training for the role too (as is obvious from most promotion pics of him) and it seems he's doing a good deal many of his own fight scenes.

-- 87eleven, who you'll remember are the stunt group, talk about the fights and the characters' martial arts styles. Gohan and Roshi use southern Chinese techniques, Chi-Chi uses Muay Thai kickboxing, and Goku's is a meshing of karate and capoeira; a very flippy and acrobatics-oriented style.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:03 pm

I don't know if it's been brought up but the movie may be canceled according to this article:

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_15473.html

I don't know how trust-worthy the site is though.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:I don't know if it's been brought up but the movie may be canceled according to this article:

Rebutted and disproven almost as fast as it came up.

http://dbthemovie.com/2008/08/22/fox-loves-dragonball/
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:I don't know if it's been brought up but the movie may be canceled according to this article:

It's been proven false.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:48 pm

If only it were true. *sigh*

Pain

Post by Pain » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:52 pm

snaku wrote:

If only it were true. *sigh*
Well the "higher-ups" at Fox loved it, according to what I just read. :)

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 pm

"In preparation for the role, of course I read the original manga (all of it)"-Mr.Chatwin

It's always nice when the actors read and study their characters, it makes me a happy camper. I wonder if Chatwin had just read the first 16 volumes of "Dragonball" or all 42 which as everyone probably knows was separated into "Z" by VIZ when it reached volume 17.I know he said original so I'm assuming he probably just read Dragonball (which is a feat in itself seeing as how busy he probably is). That shows much more dedication then I had originally expected and to me proves that he actually cares about his role. I'd love to hear his in depth opinion on the manga and his favorite moments. As for reading up on the Monkey King that is going up and beyond his line of duty I have no question about his dedication now. After not reading news about the live action movie for a long time this is a real nice story to come back to and fills me with hope.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Pain

Post by Pain » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:00 pm

This movie may be a hit. If so...I'll walk out of that theater with a big Dragonball fan boy smile on my face. :D

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:07 pm

Pain wrote:Well the "higher-ups" at Fox loved it, according to what I just read. :)
Oh I know. Anything Rothman approves of scares me.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:"In preparation for the role, of course I read the original manga (all of it)"-Mr.Chatwin

It's always nice when the actors read and study their characters, it makes me a happy camper. I wonder if Chatwin had just read the first 16 volumes of "Dragonball" or all 42 which as everyone probably knows was separated into "Z" by VIZ when it reached volume 17.I know he said original so I'm assuming he probably just read Dragonball (which is a feat in itself seeing as how busy he probably is). That shows much more dedication then I had originally expected and to me proves that he actually cares about his role. I'd love to hear his in depth opinion on his manga and his favorite moments. As for reading up on the Monkey King that is going up and beyond his line of duty I have no question about his dedication now. After not reading news about the live action movie for a long time this is a real nice story to come back to and fills me with hope.
This news makes me happy and gives me reason to believe in Chatwin a little more. As for the part about him not having enough time to read it, I'm sure he could find time during the day whether it be while he's in the bathroom or before he goes to bed at night. I can usually knock out 2 or 3 volumes of the manga in an hour or two.

Also, James Marsters seems really commited to his role as well and he says he's seen most of the anime with his son.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:12 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote: This news makes me happy and gives me reason to believe in Chatwin a little more. As for the part about him not having enough time to read it, I'm sure he could find time during the day whether it be while he's in the bathroom or before he goes to bed at night. I can usually knock out 2 or 3 volumes of the manga in an hour or two.

Also, James Marsters seems really commited to his role as well and he says he's seen most of the anime with his son.
Your post gave me a real sad mental image of Teto watching the anime and frantically flipping through the manga looking for his character to no avail.

Strongbad456
Beyond Newbie

Post by Strongbad456 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:17 pm

I see. I had just seen the other article tonight. Well it doesn't really affect me if they cancel the movie or not. I only plan to see it if it's incredibly awesome.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Strongbad456 wrote:I see. I had just seen the other article tonight. Well it doesn't really affect me if they cancel the movie or not. I only plan to see it if it's incredibly awesome.
How are you going to know it's incredibly awesome if you don't see it?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Pain

Post by Pain » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:20 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote: This news makes me happy and gives me reason to believe in Chatwin a little more. As for the part about him not having enough time to read it, I'm sure he could find time during the day whether it be while he's in the bathroom or before he goes to bed at night. I can usually knock out 2 or 3 volumes of the manga in an hour or two.

Your post gave me a real sad mental image of Teto watching the anime and frantically flipping through the manga looking for his character to no avail.
That's how Gogeta feels when he reads the manga. The same goes for Garlic Junior.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:17 am

Script....I don't remember if this one is false...I don't think so, but don't kill me please!
But here!
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:19 am

Forgotten Hero wrote:Script....I don't remember if this one is false...I don't think so, but don't kill me please!
But here!
Yeah that was proven to be false a long time ago (thank god).

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:25 am

I'm glad to see the direction this thread is going in.

Encouragement phase complete, continue on being civilized members of society.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:28 am

Just going to point out that on the IMDB page for this movie the rating USA:PG has been removed, proving that it was either proved false or proved to be a rumor; which is good news because if they do make this movie with a PG rating it will not be able to do the series justice.