Live Action Movie Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:53 am

Kendamu wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:This high school talk is getting old, they have already stated it doesn't last long. Chances are Goku's going to drop out, I can just feel it. I also read in an interview somebody mentioned it as a possibilty, or he graduates. If he drops high school, that would really stay true to Goku's character, and the writers would obviously somewhat know what they are doing.
Is this rant because of me? If so, you're going to have to get over the fact that, no matter how little of the movie focuses on Goku in High School, I'm still going to make fun of the idea. Its not like I'm attacking you or someone who thinks that the High School angle is awesometastical or something. I just poked fun at the High School angle as a minor point in my larger, more important point of Goku's clothing relfecting non-dogi clothing we've seen him in on manga covers and such.

Seriously, let's try and make this thread last more than four pages. Don't get offended by my not liking something and vocalizing it in a lighthearted manner.
No that rant isn't becuase of you, I honestly think that Goku's going to drop out of school, so in sequels they can make Chi-Chi pressure Gohan into staying in school. I actually said the same thing in another thread.

Master Roshi's hair probably isn't a wig, I didn't mean that the wig be weighted, just the clothing, I mean why not? They have weighted clothing in DB/Z, right? So instead of wearing turtle shells for training, they wear turtle like outfits that are weighted.

And wouldn't DragonBall be a bad influence on kids in general, what with the fighting and killing and all. I mean I wouldn't want my kids to see an Android choke somebody so hardcore until their head exploded,(although the anime is different) not atleast till they're 13.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:03 pm

At this rate I wouldn't count on seeing Gohan do any fighting in the films. You can't exactly do a four year old martial artist in live action...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote:At this rate I wouldn't count on seeing Gohan do any fighting in the films. You can't exactly do a four year old martial artist in live action...
They also said a hand couldnt go up an ass coming out of somebodies mouth, then pulling their insides out through their ass hole but it was all made possible in Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote:At this rate I wouldn't count on seeing Gohan do any fighting in the films. You can't exactly do a four year old martial artist in live action...
They could just make him older. They made Goku high school age for this movie, when in the original he's 12 at the start of the series.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:05 pm

In the DBZ sequel, if we do in fact get a DBZ sequel, they could easily make Goku, like 30, since Justin Chatwin is like 26 or something, and have Gohan be between 8 and 12.

But, if I had to wager a guess, they might just ditch Gohan entirely.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm

Gohan doesn't have to be a major actual fighter to have significance. In one of the older threads, I wrote up an idea for sequels that had Gohan as a baby in the first sequel and a toddler in the second, but with hints that he'd obviously inherited Goku's power and was meant to be his successor.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:They also said a hand couldnt go up an ass coming out of somebodies mouth, then pulling their insides out through their ass hole but it was all made possible in Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead.
Sounds more like you're talking about the "shunting" creatures from Society.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:35 pm

Someone obviously hasn't seen Baby Geniuses.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Gohan is a baby in the films like Kaboom said.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:13 pm

JAPPO wrote:Gohan is a baby in the films like Kaboom said.
Is this something that's been officially revealed, or is that just your guess?

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:20 pm

Well along time ago I remember reading that they were casting for a infant to put in the movie. People speculated that it was either Baby Goku or Gohan.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:18 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:No that rant isn't becuase of you...
Good, good. I'm glad. Everyone just needs to know that whatever I make fun of about this movie from this point on is pretty much in jest.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Herms wrote:
It hasn't been officially confirmed, but they casted babies and they are trying to ground this into the real world. A 4 year old running around with like a 30 year old midget doing crazy martial arts isn't very realistic.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Herms

Post by Herms » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:37 pm

JAPPO wrote:It hasn't been officially confirmed, but they casted babies and they are trying to ground this into the real world. A 4 year old running around with like a 30 year old midget doing crazy martial arts isn't very realistic.
That seems rather speculative. The babies could be for other characters besides Gohan (perhaps they're for a scene with baby Goku and many other nameless Saiyan babies being sent into space), and even if a baby Gohan does appear, that doesn't mean they won't show a more grown-up Gohan in a later movie or even later in the same movie.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:51 pm

I also think it's more likely the infant was casted for a baby Goku. This is the first movie, and we already know his Saiyan origins are gonna be revealed to him in this one, so a scene of his pod landing and Gohan finding him is pretty likely.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:11 pm

JAPPO wrote:
Herms wrote:
It hasn't been officially confirmed, but they casted babies and they are trying to ground this into the real world. A 4 year old running around with like a 30 year old midget doing crazy martial arts isn't very realistic.
Dragonball is a fantasy story, though. This film is not carrying on what made Dragonball special.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
JAPPO wrote:
Herms wrote: Is this something that's been officially revealed, or is that just your guess?
Dragonball is a fantasy story, though. This film is not carrying on what made Dragonball special.
This is sort of what got us in trouble the first time, can you explain what it is missing and why it isn't carrying on what you find special about Dragonball? General broad statements like that tend to get people riled up for some weird reason.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:55 am

Y'know, I have to wonder...when the movie is released in Japan, do you think they'll go the "Hokuto no Ken" route and dub the movie using the original anime voice actors?

I would love to see that. :D

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:18 am

Brad Redfield wrote:Y'know, I have to wonder...when the movie is released in Japan, do you think they'll go the "Hokuto no Ken" route and dub the movie using the original anime voice actors?

Now THAT is a version of this movie that I'd enjoy watching. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:48 am

Brad Redfield wrote:Y'know, I have to wonder...when the movie is released in Japan, do you think they'll go the "Hokuto no Ken" route and dub the movie using the original anime voice actors?

I would be all freaking over that, holy crap! I hope they do that- hell, they've been extremely consistant with the voice cast in Japan on everything in Dragonball so far....
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]