Live Action Movie Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Seriously!? They're JUST now getting the show on DVD ? That's....crazy! Still it's not like the show isn't still popular.

Yup. I know.I was surprised about them only get the dvds now as well. I only asked a few people here about recently.
Chrono Trigger wrote:With the sales from the video games and the constant cameos and additions in other games...I mean come on! Are you telling me Toei doesn't already KNOW how popular the series STILL is ? They could have made a new show 3 times over by now.
Meh, could have, would have, should have. The point is, Dragonball is fresher now.

jaywonder
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jaywonder » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Has anyone noticed that whenever an American company makes a live action movie based on a comic book, the characters wear black leather outfits instead of their original outfits?

They're doing the same thing they did with X Men, only this looks it's going to suck :roll:

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:19 pm

I hear what you're saying man but I don't think Dragon Ball is getting a new show ANY time soon. I mean I hate to say this but the voice actors ain't exactly spring chickens man. Toei is a business company before anything else and they are clearly going to milk the Dragon Ball franchise for everything it can get them. If they was gonna make a new show they would have done it by now. DVD sales ? Let's talk about the video game sales since 2000. The constant release of the albums and the toys. They just re-released the manga didn't they ? Not to mention the amount of money it makes WORLD WIDE ? Dragon Ball is very fucking fresh in the world's eyes. It's been fresh ever since 1995 when the manga ended. I'm not convinced. If they was gonna make a new show they would have been done it. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's not likely. If they ever do I'll eat my fucking socks but till then....and, AND if they make a new show who's to say it's going to be any good ? Look at what happened with GT. We all know Toei can't do a damn thing without Mr. Toriyama holding their hands. :?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm

Well I don't think there'll be a new show. But some more specials, yeah I won't be surprised. Actually, I just realized. In trying to convince you that there could be more to come, I sort of over hyped it bit without intending. No, I'm just saying I won't be surprised if we see some more animated special/movie type stuff.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Alright. I can respect that ! I wonder why they are all of a sudden animating a new special now. Should be interesting. As for other specials after this one ? I wouldn't hold my breath. -_- (I could see Jerry, Kramer, George, and Elaine meeting up at the coffee shop or a FFVII remake before any major Dragon Ball related thing happening.)
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Didn't Final Fantasy 7 get released on PSP recently?

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:11 pm

disturbed001 wrote:
omegacwa wrote:*Snip*
Alright, I got bored. Here is the original uncolored drawing which I much prefer.
http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/cwabackyar ... an0002.jpg

By the way, this is just for humor. So nobody get offended.
Since no one else comented on your awesome work, I just have to say that it was very cleaver and amazing. You made my day.
Thanks, it's far from my best work as I really drew it as fast as possible to get it up here. But I still appreciate the comment :D

And to Tsukento: I know in the movie it's supposed to be based off Daimao, but it seems like more people are pissed that he looks nothing like Jr. And since Daimao and Jr. look close enough I just drew Jr. I really have no desire to go back and change it because it was just for a laugh, not anything I wanted to put real time into.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:Didn't Final Fantasy 7 get released on PSP recently?

I believe you're thinking of Crisis Core, which was FF7 backstory on Zack and all that.
Trans rights, now!

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 pm

SonEric84 wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:Didn't Final Fantasy 7 get released on PSP recently?

I believe you're thinking of Crisis Core, which was FF7 backstory on Zack and all that.
Oh. Well, that sort of counts as the equivalent of a Dragonball special. So there ya go Chrono Trigger :P

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:21 pm

Hmph.... :? If you say so....

jaywonder
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jaywonder » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 pm

Pain wrote:
Tsukento wrote:Image
You can't unsee it!
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Wait, is that Piccolo or Garlic Jr? :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:35 pm

You know, you're right. It DOES look more like Garlic. Only tall.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:43 pm

On a somewhat unrelated note, the fight scenes should be pretty good because Justin Chatwin's stunt double is a "Trickster" and tricking is a pretty sweet Martial Arts and acrobatic hybrid.

These are two videos of him on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9KLAPZOtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6qkJ_O5 ... re=related

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:34 am

In the UK version of the movie, Piccolo will be called "Big White". :twisted:

Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mayuri Furiza Kurotsuchi » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:55 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:In the UK version of the movie, Piccolo will be called "Big White". :twisted:
I wouldn't be surprised if something like that actually happens.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:58 am

Chrono Trigger wrote: Dragon Ball is very fucking fresh in the world's eyes. It's been fresh ever since 1995 when the manga ended.
Um… no, not exactly.

Dragon Ball was something that I clearly remember a LOT of older, longtime anime/manga fans getting incredibly burnt out on around during that precise time period. I was just getting into it during the Cell Games myself, but as the Buu saga dragged on, I still freshly remember a LOT of people in online discussions, from many different corners of the globe including Japan, making their increasing boredom and weariness with the series readily apparent. Sarcastic jokes about how much the SSJ characters had hijacked the series were plentiful and commonplace amongst the then-fanbase, and few fans at the time were shy about expressing how tired they were of seeing golden hair dominating the marketing.

For my part I was still a starry eyed newbie, and hence that sort of jadedness with the series hadn’t set in with me yet. And granted there were still any number of folks like me who were still digging it, and stayed on for GT. But even back then it was very clear to me that this series had been going on for QUITE awhile and was long starting to wear out its welcome in many circles.

The Japanese had been following it since it’s debut in the early/mid 80’s of course, other foreign markets not long after, and most of the Western anime fans I knew of at the time who followed it had done so in many instances as far back as the early 90’s. By the standards of that era of fandom, I was a late-comer to the series. And even though it was all new and fresh to me, plenty of people then had a good number of years to grow exceedingly bored and sick of it.

By the time GT ended, I remember plenty of voices on the web breathing sighs of relief that the series had finally ended conclusively, and apart from the then-new Saban-produced English dub polluting the airwaves with it’s sanitized mediocrity at obscure hours, things grew incredibly quiet on the Dragon Ball front for a good few years (look to the giant stretch of time between the release of Final Bout and Budokai 1 as exhibit A) up till late ‘98/early ’99 when it hit Cartoon Network, exposing the mass mainstream U.S. to it for the very first time.

The revitalization it received via it’s explosion on Toonami was a microcosm almost exclusive to the U.S. that was infectious enough to eventually spread it’s way back to Japan and other areas that had been long since burnt out on Dragon Ball (albeit after they had a good five or six year break from it), thus helping kickstart the mini-revival it got over there circa 2002/2003, which thus spawned the new video games, the Dragon Boxes, and so forth.

It was a shot in the arm that likely would either never have come, or would’ve at least taken a bit longer to come were it not for America being so late to the fucking party and going as utterly bonkers for the show as everyone else already had during the second half of the 80’s and first half of the 90’s. It also led to people like me getting to relive numerous fanboy Dragon Ball cycles of interest all over again, such as the typical fan's complete SSJ obsession followed by the inevitable total SSJ burnout/backlash… further proving that one man’s new and exciting rush of an experience is another man’s detached déjà vu.

But yeah, my point is simply that, just because the Toonami crowd got its first taste of the Dragon Ball bug in the late 90’s/early 2000’s and may still be riding high off it today doesn’t mean that that level of interest and enthusiasm magically backtracks to the ass-end of the series’ original 11/12 year Japanese run.

The U.S. revitalization at its all time height only lasted for so long itself… the series is now long past it’s second nadir in the Western market, and has basically more or less come back full circle to the point it was already at during the very timeframe you described as it being considered still “fresh” in the eyes of the world. I don’t mean to come off like an asshole or burst your bubble or anything, but the “world” and it’s barometer for what’s “new and fresh” doesn’t encompass solely the U.S.

The franchise had basically for all intents and purposes “died” in the eyes of the Eastern market during the mid-90’s, with many long time fans (both Japanese, American, or otherwise) being more than happy to take a long earned breather from it… only for it to wind up getting resuscitated in the U.S. a few years later, mainly because it took us so damn long to get it, thus giving it a brand new second life cycle amongst a completely new (and much larger) generation of anime fans... a life cycle that it’s now about reached the end of once again, just like it did in the mid-90's.

Don’t get me wrong; I certainly don’t think that Dragon Ball, much like many of it’s characters, will ever truly “stay” dead; I think that it’s far too much of an icon and it’ll thus always get revived in some capacity over the years. But it’s INCREDIBLY rare for this type of franchise to get two whole consecutive life cycles one after the other, and IMO it was a remarkable fluke stemming from a combination of the virgin anime market in the U.S. mainstream, and the unparalleled magnetism of the series itself.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:03 am

:shock: Ok! but let me ask you this. Compare Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Dragon Ball. In Japan right now which is still the most popular even though all three series have been completed for years in Japan ? I don't know man for a show that's been over for years it still gets a lot of attention. It might not be as popular as it used to be back in the 90's but I bet a lot of companies wish their products were as marketable and as fresh. All I was getting at is that it's starting to get stale again. You got VIZ constantly re-releasing the manga over and over again. They're teasing us with Daizenshuu. You got Funi constantly re-releasing the show on DVD. Then you have the video games where the developers are just re-releasing old games and putting out more and more rehash! How many times do I keep fighting Raditz!? Like I said before...We're complaining about box art. Not because the Japanese version of something had a better box art and they changed it for the american version. We're just complaining about regular ass box art....Box art dude.... :?
Last edited by Chrono Trigger on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:07 am

Uh... In other news... Master Mutaito will be black.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001368/

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 am

My prediction for the DragonBall movie:
Sometime in Spring, fansites will be raging with hype over Marster's performance. Talks of a sequel starting immediate development will surface. A few days later, a big time critic will thrash the film with a negative review pointing out several shortcomings. Short after that, DragonBall fans will defend the film with their lives and call the film a "masterpiece". 3 weeks later, the film will come out.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:11 am

JulieYBM wrote:I guess Tsukento never posted that--hilarious--video he made?
>> Wouldn't really call it "hilarious." Hence why I didn't post it.