Jump Festa to Preview Live Action Movie Footage

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:34 am

Acid_Reign wrote: Not at all. They dubbed him “GINO” (Godzilla In Name Only) a.k.a. [just] “Zilla,” and had the original Godzilla beat him up in Godzilla: Final Wars. :?
Well if the movie bombs, maybe we can look forward to an animated special where Goku beats up the live action movie cast.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:35 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote: Not at all. They dubbed him “GINO” (Godzilla In Name Only) a.k.a. [just] “Zilla,” and had the original Godzilla beat him up in Godzilla: Final Wars. :?
Well if the movie bombs, maybe we can look forward to an animated special where Goku beats up the movie cast.
I'm hoping there's gonna be a chapter of DB: Multiverse that deals with that.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:21 am

Tsukento wrote:Because they're hoping if Japan likes it, then they can claim the country that had Dragon Ball first likes it and that American audiences will automatically like it.
'Wanna bet they'll do just that no matter the outcome?
I'm pretty sure Oda will go nuts about the movie. And not in a positive way. Remember, this guy went fanboy mode on Toriyama when he couldn't even remember Tao Pai Pai. :p
There's a difference between poking fun at an author you respect and panning a movie your bosses invested in...

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:30 am

Olivier Hague wrote:There's a difference between poking fun at an author you respect and panning a movie your bosses invested in...
Never said he'd be bashing it. He's likely the kind of guy to pick at every last detail when it comes to Dragon Ball. The guy loves the series and definitely worships Toriyama, so it's no stretch for him to look at it and tilt his head a bit while watching things that don't look right to him.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Emmy rossum will be in Japan in December. Most likely for Jump Festa.

Here's a Japanese commercial she appeared in:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=3AaM-rSuvqw

Pretty weird
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:19 pm

I'll try to get video of the DB Stage, but if I can't, I can't. They've gotten stricter as the years have gone by and last year they actually had two dicks in a tower scouring the audience for cameras. No way I'm risking getting thrown out to miss the OP Stage over a DB thing. Either way I'll be giving live feedback to AP via a friend.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:26 pm

omegacwa wrote:For some reason, I get the impression that the Japanese fans aren't going to be nearly as picky/whiny about the movie as the people on this board are. But that's just my opinion.

WOW, Goku is white, hey it's Piccolo, KAMEHAMEHA! Good enough for me!
I've seen relatively few Japanese comments on the Dragonball trailer. The ones I did see so far, though, translated out to something along the lines of, "I'm definitely not going to see this movie," and, "This is not Dragonball."
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Kendamu wrote:
omegacwa wrote:For some reason, I get the impression that the Japanese fans aren't going to be nearly as picky/whiny about the movie as the people on this board are. But that's just my opinion.

WOW, Goku is white, hey it's Piccolo, KAMEHAMEHA! Good enough for me!
I've seen relatively few Japanese comments on the Dragonball trailer. The ones I did see so far, though, translated out to something along the lines of, "I'm definitely not going to see this movie," and, "This is not Dragonball."
Well, Kei17 is Japanese and I think he's been pretty disgusting with the film.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Comments from Mixi's DB community post-trailer:

実写版よりマンガやアニメの方が良いんで見に行きません

The manga or animation are better so I won't be going.

見てみたぃ気もするケド-
失望しそな気もする(´Д`

I like to give it a shot but...something tells me it's gonna let me down.

見に行かないデス
許せないから

I will NOT go see it. It's unforgivable.

ドラゴンボール好きとしては、通らないといけない道だと思うから行けたらいきます。見れなかったらDVD借りるかな

As a fan of DB I think it's something one has to see so if I can, I will. But if I don't get the chance, I'll rent the DVD.

見に行かない

WOWOWかな

Not going.

Catch it on TV.

観に行きません印象が崩れてしまう

Not going. It would destroy the image in my head.

時間があったら行こうかな
って感じッス

If I have time I'll go
or somethin' like that.

気にはなるけど映画館にも行かないし、DVDも借りない

While part of me is intrigued I won't be going or renting the DVD.

絶対行かない

ちらっと特訓シーン(?)を見たけれど、あれはない……

No way in hell

I saw like a training scene or something? Shit's fucked up.

なんでみたい気持ちに嘘ついてるのかな

Why am I lying to the part of me that wants to see it?

100%クソだけど一応見る。

100% Pure Shit but I'll see it.

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15 pm

So basically the Japanese feel the same as us on the matter haha.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:00 am

I`m always surprised what little excitement for JUMP Festa there is here. Anyway Nozawa was in two shows today I saw and took notes on. One of which was promoting the film. There was also a letter from Toriyama where he expressed his thoughts on it and I got to see the first pics of the PSP game based on the film. If anyone`s interested I`ll go through said materials.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:07 am

omae no kaasan wrote:I`m always surprised what little excitement for JUMP Festa there is here. Anyway Nozawa was in two shows today I saw and took notes on. One of which was promoting the film. There was also a letter from Toriyama where he expressed his thoughts on it and I got to see the first pics of the PSP game based on the film. If anyone`s interested I`ll go through said materials.
I am interested. :)
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:36 am

omae no kaasan wrote:I`m always surprised what little excitement for JUMP Festa there is here. Anyway Nozawa was in two shows today I saw and took notes on. One of which was promoting the film. There was also a letter from Toriyama where he expressed his thoughts on it and I got to see the first pics of the PSP game based on the film. If anyone`s interested I`ll go through said materials.
My lack of interest is due to my ignorance...I have no idea how important the event is or what actually happens there.

But I am definitely interested in more details on what you mentioned, though! Please do elaborate when you have the time.

Pitzu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pitzu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:03 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
I am interested. :)
I'm interested in what Toriyama said.
If the Creator is fine, I'm (for the most part) fine.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:10 pm

What!? People in Japan are mostly apathetic towards the movie!? What a surprise! :roll:
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:31 pm

Pitzu wrote:I'm interested in what Toriyama said.
Your wish is granted! Straight from Jump Festa...

http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1013511&postcount=64
(00:05 EST) Greg:"Toriyama left a message to the cast and crew of the movie: He felt surprised when he saw everything but after meeting the cast and crew, he felt they were splendid. He hopes that it will become a new Dragon Ball to be enjoyed and confirms that he is very much looking forward to it."
Also, this, which I think is talking about the movie game...
(23:51 EST) Greg: "First game pictures look like DBZ Sparking but with real textures. Bulma seems to be a fighter this time around.
I'm imagining something that plays like Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm. That being like DBZ: Sparking!, but on a bit smaller scale and with less flying. Would probably work well for the movie (or ANY early-DragonBall-based fighter)
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Pitzu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pitzu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:39 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Pitzu wrote:I'm interested in what Toriyama said.
Your wish is granted! Straight from Jump Festa...

http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1013511&postcount=64
(00:05 EST) Greg:"Toriyama left a message to the cast and crew of the movie: He felt surprised when he saw everything but after meeting the cast and crew, he felt they were splendid. He hopes that it will become a new Dragon Ball to be enjoyed and confirms that he is very much looking forward to it."
Hm.

He's looking forward to it, and felt the cast and crew were 'splendid'

Hm.
If the Creator likes it, so do I.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:33 pm

Since Toriyama's opinion never really mattered (hai i am individual lawl), plus the guy is nicer than nice, my opinion remains the same. Still, the general opinions as posted from the Japanese are amusing.

As ever, I wait for the DVD release. I'm seriously thinking it'll be exactly like Street Fighter though.

-Corey

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:42 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Since Toriyama's opinion never really mattered (hai i am individual lawl), plus the guy is nicer than nice, my opinion remains the same.
Heck, Toriyama preferred second-form Cell to No.18. Hopefully we're allowed to disagree with the guy when it comes to matters of taste.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:50 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Since Toriyama's opinion never really mattered (hai i am individual lawl), plus the guy is nicer than nice, my opinion remains the same. Still, the general opinions as posted from the Japanese are amusing.

As ever, I wait for the DVD release. I'm seriously thinking it'll be exactly like Street Fighter though.

-Corey
I'd be nicer than nice, too, if I was world-famous and was the person responsible for one of the most popular comics in the world.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co