Jump Festa to Preview Live Action Movie Footage

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:56 pm

I never particularly cared what his opinion was, but it's a nice bit of trivia. I personally didn't think he'd take the whole thing seriously, he's pretty laid-back when it comes to Dragon Ball, it seems. Besides, doesn't he leave Hollywood action movies on while he draws, or something like that? =p

Anyway, I'm still hoping the movie turns out to be fun and good, if not *exactly* what I would have done with it.

How about PSP game screens? Are there any online? I'm actually extremely interested in the style they go for with that.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Man wouldn't it be crazy if the game was actually better than the movie? :lol:
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:13 pm

I'd hate to see it end up like Superman Returns: The Video Game. What a horrid thought. I mean....don't you fight a tornado at the end? :roll:
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Pitzu wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Pitzu wrote:I'm interested in what Toriyama said.
If the Creator is fine, I'm (for the most part) fine.
Your wish is granted! Straight from Jump Festa...

http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=1013511&postcount=64
(00:05 EST) Greg:"Toriyama left a message to the cast and crew of the movie: He felt surprised when he saw everything but after meeting the cast and crew, he felt they were splendid. He hopes that it will become a new Dragon Ball to be enjoyed and confirms that he is very much looking forward to it."
Hm.

He's looking forward to it, and felt the cast and crew were 'splendid'

Hm.
If the Creator likes it, so do I.
If only more people thought like you.

But really, I'm glad this quote from Toriyama puts that "OMG TORIYAMA HATES THIS" myth to rest.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm

JAPPO wrote:If only more people thought like you.
Agreeing blindly with the opinion of someone who created something you like, or agreeing with you?

-Corey

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:49 pm

Herms wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Since Toriyama's opinion never really mattered (hai i am individual lawl), plus the guy is nicer than nice, my opinion remains the same.
Heck, Toriyama preferred second-form Cell to No.18. Hopefully we're allowed to disagree with the guy when it comes to matters of taste.
Hmm, no wonder she got absorbed.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:26 pm

Game was confirmed as PSP. Just got up and if I`m not phsyically exhausted by the end of today again I will post the details from yesterday here and at AP. Nozawa provided SOME interesting anecdotes but a lot of it is STILL rehash from GT Perfect File. In an unrelated but related topic, I have some video of Nozawa on Iitomo the other day talking about the most troubling thing about performing Kame Hame Ha.

Oh, and I didn`t deem this as urgent enough to write home about, but yesterday Nozawa talked smack about the American Kame Hame Ha. Details to follow.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:29 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:Oh, and I didn`t deem this as urgent enough to write home about, but yesterday Nozawa talked smack about the American Kame Hame Ha. Details to follow.
I'm on the edge of my seat. I need to hear this.

... *glances at clock*

C'mon, man! :o

:P

This is gonna be good...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:29 pm

It's nice to see Toriyama's view of the movie. But, my own opinion stays the same.(Even though it's kind of the same as his)

I'm going to go see it with an open mind, enjoying it not as "Real people doing Dragonball", but as "Dragonball in the real world".

...if that makes any sense :S :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Big Momma wrote:It's nice to see Toriyama's view of the movie. But, my own opinion stays the same.(Even though it's kind of the same as his)

I'm going to go see it with an open mind, enjoying it not as "Real people doing Dragonball", but as "Dragonball in the real world".

Hopefully not MTV's "the real world."

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I'm actually really surprised to hear anything from Toriyama on the matter.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:38 pm

JAPPO wrote:
Big Momma wrote:It's nice to see Toriyama's view of the movie. But, my own opinion stays the same.(Even though it's kind of the same as his)

Hopefully not MTV's "the real world."
Jaimie Chung begs to differ, my friend. :P

(However, a "The Real World" DBZ parody wouldn't be a bad idea...)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:59 pm

JAPPO wrote:But really, I'm glad this quote from Toriyama puts that "OMG TORIYAMA HATES THIS" myth to rest.
Toriyama barely remembers much of anything he did with the series. For all we know, he may think the movie is faithful to the work he made.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:00 pm

Tsukento wrote:
JAPPO wrote:But really, I'm glad this quote from Toriyama puts that "OMG TORIYAMA HATES THIS" myth to rest.
Toriyama barely remembers much of anything he did with the series. For all we know, he may think the movie is faithful to the work he made.
I'd rather say he's more removed from the series over saying he barely remembers it. Toriyama isn't as absent minded as people think he is.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:06 pm

His conversation with Oda in the One Piece art book and a couple of Shonen Jump (American version) interviews seems to suggest he doesn't remember a whole lot anymore.

He kept himself away from Dragon Ball so long after character designs in GT that he ended up forgetting the things he's done, including artwork with certain characters involved (such as Tao Pai Pai).
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:16 am

Tsukento wrote:His conversation with Oda in the One Piece art book and a couple of Shonen Jump (American version) interviews seems to suggest he doesn't remember a whole lot anymore.

He kept himself away from Dragon Ball so long after character designs in GT that he ended up forgetting the things he's done, including artwork with certain characters involved (such as Tao Pai Pai).
That was awhile ago though. Since doing that interview, he reread all of the DB manga while doing the Kanzenban covers, so that he could know which characters to do for each volume. So his memory of DB things is probably a little better.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Day 1

Sparking Seiyuu Stage

Nozawa & Tanaka Talk

Toei's booth was home to a number of small events that as far as I know, the contents and times of which were only made public at the show on a board outside the booth. The entire booth was designed like the desk of a ship with a huge monitor at the center representing the jolly roger mark that could display commercials or play images associated with the performance on stage.

There was a OP & DB crossover 'Fusion' stage where the costumes we're familliar with having been used over the past few years in stage shows were worn by performers as they acted out on stage. The scenario was very simple, first the Strawhats came out and Franky introduced them one by one. But they mentioned someone being missing and they called out Brook who made his debut. The actor or actress portraying him had a lot of fun and ad-libbed a good number of dancing actions, he was the show-stealer and also dominated the stage on stilts. Then they called out Piccolo and Goku who did their introduction schtick. Then they went into commercial mode. They talked about 10 years of the OP animation and how you can watch each week. We were then shown a brief cut of the opening theme. Then DB went into commercial mode as it talked about the DB movies on DVD. Goku and Luffy were going to have a race to see who could find a missing copy of the DVD sampler they were passing out for free but as it turned out the copy was in Brook's...head...which flipped open. Then the MC came out and the characters went off stage except for the respective leads and they called out Nozawa and Tanaka. Haru and I were seated near the stage so they were practically on top of us.

They then did a round of reviewing what voices each actress did in DB. They first asked the crowd who Tanaka did and the reply was obvious. They then asked smaller roles she did. One elementary school boy called out Yajirobe and Tanaka personally went up to him and thanked him. Both showed fanboy-level knowledge of their characters and the periods of the story to which they belonged as images of them throughout the series flashed on screen. Tanaka commented that she also performed the role of the girl Snow.

When it came Nozawa's turn they asked who else she did beyond THE OBVIOUS 3 and a child answered Bardock. Both Tanaka and Nozawa commented that they were so amazed small children knew smaller roles they did so long ago. It was then that I exposed that banter as bullshit when Nozawa asked who ELSE she did. I raised my hand to answer Turles (or whatever the hell the accepted dubbination calls him these days)and Nozawa made direct eye contact with me at which time she scowled, shook her head and went on to pick a child. So yeah, basically their amazement at children knowing the roles is bullshit, they wanted/excpected them to know the answers and only intended on picking them.

How many Americans can say they've been scowled at by Nozawa herself? Ah Japan. Gaijin are all the same to you eh?

Anyway talking about doing voice work. Tanaka considers Nozawa her BIG sempai. They commented that DB was, compared to other series, remarkably fast. They'd have just one practice and then go right into recording. Tanaka was new to the job at the time so when she joined she was very nervous and didn't really know how to react to jokes and happenings on set. One time King Kai's VA was eating a hard candy and when it came to his turn to record he left it right where he was sitting and when he came back it was gone. He accused Tanaka of having eaten it. Turns out it was stuck to his butt. They said he was really one of the most 'troublesome' actors (they meant it lovingly) as he was always doing something silly. They said he always had loose change in his pockets that caused a lot of NG cuts. They also recounted the Son/Mago incident which she mentioned in the GT Perfect File 2 interview.

MC asked how it was to have reunited for the special animation this past year. They said it felt like a class reunion but it's not like they don't ever meet. They usually meet for game work and whatnot and even if they haven't met in a while it never feels like they've been apart for long.

One of Tanaka's most memorable scenes is that with Bacterian where Krillin is reminded he doesn't have a nose and just kind of responds, "Oh...yeah!" Nozawa thinks it's hilarious because she honestly believes Toriyama originally genuinely forgot to draw one.

One of Nozawa's memorable scenes was when Krillin was killed ("The first time") saying such an act was just unforgivable in her eyes. She says it's so sad how without even saying anything he turns around smiling but it already dead. She then talks about the scene where Goku was fired upon in the bathroom by RR as she did in the GT Perfect File 2 interview.

Now they ask if anyone knows who Nozawa did in OP. Kureha of course. (I didn't raise my hand this time -_-) Whenever they meet by chance now Nozawa always greets Tanaka with the line, "You wanna know my secret to youth!?"

I wasn't aware but evidently OP Movie 9 was nominated in the animation field for what's essentially a Japanese Oscar. The first OP movie to recieve such an honor. In talking about the film, Tanaka says she likes the scene where Luffy bows down to the villagers and humbly asks for help. Nozawa's is, of course, the scene where she sends Chopper off, the final lines of the film. While recording this the entire crew was present and Nozawa performed this line alone at the mic. She calls herself a strong woman so she refused to cry but everyone else was already in tears. Tanaka said when Nozawa finally turned around even she was crying. They think this comes from their feelings as real mothers in life.

Then they went into commercial mode and talked about the movies available for sale. Nozawa was surprised there were 17. They also talked about the cell phone thing from last year where you can watch your favorite scenes on your phone. They have a new function this year which is a growth system where you pick a character and assign it to one of your friends and the more you text each other, it grows up (in age) and then stronger.

In the end they talked about how the two series are intertwined with Oda being a HUGE DB fan and now it's come full circle that Toriyama's children are HUGE OP fans.

In the end they performed for us, probably the only time ever, "Gomu Gomu Kame Hame Kienzan Ha~!"

They left, the characters came back on stage and they sang Binks' Booze. After this while the MC was talking merch. Brook was waiting off stage in clear view doing silly antics and even did the infamous '45 Degrees' which cracked me up.

Jump Festa Day 1

DB Stage

Let me just say first, this was a complete disgrace to anything that holds the name Dragonball. As this was the first Stage event for JUMP Festa that I know of it should have been magnificent. If I went there exclusively for this stage as a DB fan I would have been furious. Haru described as, "Trying a hard sell on a burned out actor or actress." DB is far from struggling and yet they stooped to this half-assed crap. Unbelievable. Anyway here goes.

The MC's were B-level comedians American Zarigani. They're obnoxious. They called out the 'special' guests who were four equally low-level idols: Koshimizu Ami, Sanbei Yuko, Gotou Yuko & Matayoshi something or other. She was like 12 or something if that yet this fat piece of human slime behind out burst out into cheer everytime it looked like she was about to crack her lips to say something.

Then they called out the big guests, Nozawa.....aaaand Nozawa.....and....uh.....Nozawa? Yup. Just Nozawa. Can you believe it?

The banter that followed was not something I would even consider worthy of note page space. It was the airhead idols who obviously knew little to nothing about DB attempting to look/sound cute in front of everyone while the MC's struggled to take the 'conversation' anywhere. Finally Nozawa got a few words in. She was genuinely surprised when she saw that Goku grew up and had a kid in Z. She had already gone through a reality check and tried to think of who they would get for the role and was shocked when she sa her name by his on the cast list. She believes doing all three roles of Goku, Gohan and Goten simultanously is a record in her field.

She later commented on the filler episode with Gohan and the robot during his training. She said it was literally her and the robot VA in the studio with one other person for 30 minutes which she also thinks is a record. She was very nervous doing it and wasn't sure if they could both carry it but they did.

Nozawa thinks Goku's most formidable opponent was Cell because he just "...keeps coming at you no matter what and you just feel like, 'Get the heck away from me!' " Hmmm, okay, if she says so. Her opinion, not mine.

So they made a big hoot about Japan getting the live action movie first on March 13th. Nozawa wants it to be first here because, "...DB belongs to Japan!" So they showed us the trailer. Turns out it's just the trailer.

It was the first time to see the trailer for many of the fans. Why? Because Japanese people suck ass at using computers.

Piccolo was laughed at. Flat out.

When Goku said Kame Hame Ha there was audible laughter.

Nozawa said she was surprised because Goku was such a hunk and Yamcha looks like some bumpkin which should be the other way around.

The idols said it's strange to see such a young Roshi and that it's hard to picture him being a perv like that. (Later Nozawa would say, "You can tell he likes young girls!", apparently commenting on his shirt out of the blue which directly contradicted that comment and the feeling of the crowd so it seems she was fed that line)

Then Nozawa laid the smack down on the American Kame Hame Ha. She said in Japan they extend the 'Ka' OR the final 'Ha' but in America they extend the first 'me' which just makes it sound way off.

Then they showed us a 'special' video message from Chatwin and Bulma's actress line-reading. Turns out this was just a message they had playing on a loop in a little enclosed DB movie museum thing out on the show floor that I would see on Day 2.

Anyway...

It's ALWAYS a pleasure to see actors and actresses doing special messages for Japan in trailers. Bruce Willis, James Franco, Keanu Reeves, George Lucas & Steven Spielberg and many, many others tend to [be forced] to do this and it's a hoot. You can tell these are the REAL people behind the names because they look genuinely disinterested, slur their speech since they no know one is listening and constantly look off camera to read their lines. The best is when they run out of lines and just say stupid shit. But NO ONE did it as terribly as Chatwin. He should have just turned his head sideways and started talking.

I say this with no spite in my heart over the film. I genuinely do not care. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy, which is how I've felt about anything related to DB in the US for about 8 years now. He was just doing an AWFUL job. Bulma totally outclassed him on that front.

Anyway so they were seated next to each other and asked us if we were enjoying JUMP Festa. Chatwin said he's, "very honored" (looking off-camera) to be able to play the role of Goku. He says that he tried to put part of himself in Goku so you can expect to see part of him in the "iconic" character. Thanks. Thanks man. We needed part of you in an ICONIC character.

Bulma said she only found out about her casting shortly before shooting began so she didn't get all the stunt training the others did. She said she enjoyed playing Bulma who is the smartest girl in the world.

Chatwin stupidly ended it by saying they hope everyone goes to see it "...so we can make 5 sequels.", apparently being uninformed that there isn't a word for sarcasm in Japanese. Nozawa read the subtitles and was shocked, "What? They already decided to make 5?", to which the MC's said no, it was an 'American joke' which is their way of explaining sarcastic humor. Those crazy Americans.

They also commented it was the first world debut for Ayumi Hamasaki as the singer of the theme song. They wondered what she'd sound like singing 'Head-cha-la'. I suppose you could call this a 'Japanese joke'.

So they unveiled movie game pics for the first time. I imagine they will be online or in V-Jump soon. They look like the Sparking series models with realistic textures instead of cartoony ones. The game is for PSP and details were zilch but Goku and Bulma were shown in still-picture fighting.

Then came the letter from Toriyama which Nozawa read to us.

I will paraphrase here.

'When I first saw some of the film I thought, "Huh!?" but then I met the cast and crew and they were all splendid. I hope this can be the start of a new kind of Dragon Ball and that I'm very much looking forward to it.'

Nothing else significant. The last word I heard was the MC's plugging themselves as they ran off stage, "American Zarigani."

I felt violated.

Jump Festa 2009

Day 2

DB live action movie booth

This year was INCREDIBLY busy for me at JF. There's usually down time where I'm sitting somewhere waiting for the hands on the clock to turn after having seen everything 5 times. I barely got to see everything I wanted to this year. Scratch that. I did NOT see everything I wanted to. Anyway, Day 2 gave me SOM time to actually walk around and see the other half of the show floor that I missed from lining up all day on Day 1. It was then that I happened upon the DB film booth which I heard mentioned in the DB Stage the day before. I lined up and was texting Taiar from the line at which point an attendant practically shoved a megaphone in my ear and asked in Japanese that there be no filming inside the booth.

Typical dipshit. If you think someone doesn't understand your language, make it louder! That'll work! Of course I understood every word and purposely ceased tapping away at my cellphone which prompted a personal visit.

I love personal visits. They're what I live for.

Attendant: "Naka!" *crosses arms in X* "Satsuei, nashi DAMEi!"

or "Inside! No filming BAD!"

It's at this point I savor the moment and stare at them blankly for a moment. It during this moment that they don't know what the hell is going to happen. Am I going to smile? Am I going to ignore him? Am I going to turn into a gorilla and start running on the ceiling?

I reply in colloquial Japanese, "Don't worry about it I heard you the first time clearly."

He laughs nervously and scuddles away.

Anyway inside was THE GI.

I have seen THE GI.

It actually has a lot of small stitches all running diagonally across the chest to give it texture so it isn't so flat. I'm sure this was a choice to give some volume to the heavy material they used in making it, but it was a surprising little attention to detail I didn't expect.

They also had Bulma's outfit, nothing special to comment on.

Bulma's bike was there. It was nifty. This is what it is: http://spyder.brp.com/

Does not appear to be significantly specialized in any way for the movie.

Yamcha's jeep looked cheap. Sorry, it does. Probably looks better on film though. They attempted to personalize it with a girlie image on the side but even that looked amatuerish in style.

The footage was just the trailer with Chatwin and Bulma's video message. There was also a CG scene of the sun and swirling Dragonballs. I believe this has already been seen before so I don't think it's a big deal but incase it hasn't, they seem to have attempted to recreate the original DB opening of the dragonish solar flare of the sun in CG. It was kinda neat.

Anyway after that I bought a 13 dollar advance ticket and got what I really wanted, a Goku Bearbrik. Holy shit did I want that Goku Bearbrik.

And that's it. I'm not up to date on DB video games these days so maybe I saw some new game that hasn't been announced not really sure. There was a DB SNES-ish Final Fantasy-ish RPG that looked AWESOME but I never caught the start or end of the trailer so I don't know what system or if it's even for a system or not. At any rate that's the DB stuff.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Thanks, the live-action stuff sounds sweet.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Well, it's offcial: Dragonball ain't going to make crap.

The fact that the film was laughed at is deathening, I'd say.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Well, it's offcial: Dragonball ain't going to make crap.
Yeah, it ain't official until it's released.