Jump Festa to Preview Live Action Movie Footage

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:27 pm

JAPPO wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Well, it's offcial: Dragonball ain't going to make crap.
Yeah, it ain't official until it's released.
Surely it was obvious I was not being literal.

But it does spell trouble.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:31 pm

The fact that the film was laughed at is deathening, I'd say.
If the writer of the above account had bias against the movie, to begin with they may have infused their feelings into the retelling of the event. The only way we will know if the movie will flop is by the overall proceeds after it premiers.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:34 pm

I loved reading your post, "kaasan". :D (Haha, I just called you mommy!)

That was a a very interesting read, and a lot of parts made me laugh.
They way you said Nozawa scowled at you makes her sound like a jerk, though. (I do remember someone saying that being a Gajin in Japan ain't the easiest gig in the world, though).

Anyway, the people laughing at the trailer does seem unsettling to me, and it seems the Japanese aren't expecting much out of this.

That doesn't change my opinion, though, I still plan on enjoying it. :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:

If the writer of the above account had bias against the movie, to begin with they may have infused their feelings into the retelling of the event. The only way we will know if the movie will flop is by the overall proceeds after it premiers.
Which may totally be true. Considering my own feelings, I don't want it to make money, considering the reaction at JUMP Festa--the SDCC of Shônen JUMP--I find it hard that it'll be a very critically acclaimed film.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:

However, on the other side of that, there are things that cannot be disputed. Such as Nozawa saying that the American Kamehameha isn't right in its pronunciation and that a young Roshi is just odd.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:40 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:

Which may totally be true. Considering my own feelings, I don't want it to make money, considering the reaction at JUMP Festa--the SDCC of Shônen JUMP--I find it hard that it'll be a very critically acclaimed film.
They were shown the trailer, not the movie. Come on.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:45 pm

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:

However, on the other side of that, there are things that cannot be disputed. Such as Nozawa saying that the American Kamehameha isn't right in its pronunciation and that a young Roshi is just odd.
Yeah, but everyone seems to forget the movie is a retelling of Dragonball from an American perspective (I do not get why people cannot recognize this fact). Of course, some things will be pronounced differently and even done contrary to the original Japanese version. If people want a Japanese Dragonball, movie they need to talk with some investors/producers with money in Japan.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:48 pm

JAPPO wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote: If the writer of the above account had bias against the movie, to begin with they may have infused their feelings into the retelling of the event. The only way we will know if the movie will flop is by the overall proceeds after it premiers.
They were shown the trailer, not the movie. Come on.
This laughed at it, a promotional tool for promting Ichiro Tanaka to see the film. Most of the audience there was probably the film's target audience. This shall probably be akin to Godzilla 1998, in which Japan was pretty pissed.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:51 am

So the Japanese basically ripped the Live Action Movie stuff at Jump Festa...damn.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:53 am

Fine, if the Japanese fans are all "DO NOT WANT" about it, then more for me. :D
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 am

I can't help but laugh at the negativity from Japan. I'm happy to know it's not just Americans.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:05 am

Gozar wrote:I can't help but laugh at the negativity from Japan. I'm happy to know it's not just Americans.
Mrs. Nozowa seems to be deeply opposed to this movie for some reason.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:07 am

Raki wrote:
Gozar wrote:I can't help but laugh at the negativity from Japan. I'm happy to know it's not just Americans.
Really? I didn't read fully through the large post, I've just been skimming comments.

Nozawa's dislike makes me smile...I love this woman so much. She doesn't pull any punches. Like a while back when she spoke out against today's Anime actors.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:08 am

Pronunciation really irritated Ms. Nozawa huh? ^^;

I guess I could see how it could sound odd if someone did that with english words.
I mean, can you imagine someone emphasizing the wrong syllable on every single word when they spoke?

Sorry you were scowled at though. :(
I understand her wanting to pick a child, but she didn't need to throw you a rude look like that.

Man, live action movie's reaction sounds awful.
I am not looking forward to it at all.

You know what, I'm hoping it upsets Japan SO much that THEY go and make their own live action db movie. One with accuracy, a Goku who loves adventure and is more than "ready", and NO HIGHSCHOOL. :D
Last edited by Chuquita on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 am

Gozar wrote:
Raki wrote:
Really? I didn't read fully through the large post, I've just been skimming comments.

Nozawa's dislike makes me smile...I love this woman so much. She doesn't pull any punches. Like a while back when she spoke out against today's Anime actors.
It's the vibe I got when reading her reactions concerning the LAM stuff. I could be wrong.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:12 am

Nozowa is great even if she did act a wee bit unprofessional.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:24 am

Not very confident in your own opinion then, I take it.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:26 am

JAPPO wrote:
Not very confident in your own opinion then, I take it.
I think Gozar is looking foward to the movie too. He was just commenting how the Japanese are seeming to be negative toward the movie, just like most American fans are.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 am

Gozar wrote:
Raki wrote:

Anime actors, as in the Japanese actors or all around the world and in general?

I'd like to see this.

omae no kaasan, you should be kinda lucky, Masako Nozawa noticed you, even if it was out of spite, hate, etc.

But, I kinda understand why Masako Nozawa isn't exactly fond of Gaijin.
Wasn't she a child during WWII?

That sucks though, just because Chatwin fucked up the pronunciation of Kamehameha, now most of the Japanese that were there are gonna think like, Americans can't say any names of the attacks, characters, etc. names right.
Last edited by El Diabeetus on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:30 am

If the writer of the above account had bias against the movie, to begin with they may have infused their feelings into the retelling of the event.
The writer of the above account feels nothing but apathy towards the film.

Lack of hate or love. I am reporting on what I saw and commenting on what I saw. I have purchased my movie ticket and will see the film. If I don't like what I see, that's that. But because I may or may not like what I see does not classify me as having a bias.