Jump Festa to Preview Live Action Movie Footage

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:53 am

omae no kaasan wrote:
If the writer of the above account had bias against the movie, to begin with they may have infused their feelings into the retelling of the event.
The writer of the above account feels nothing but apathy towards the film.

Lack of hate or love. I am reporting on what I saw and commenting on what I saw. I have purchased my movie ticket and will see the film. If I don't like what I see, that's that. But because I may or may not like what I see does not classify me as having a bias.
Could you comment on what you meant, EXACTLY, on those bits that people say are iffy or indicate something? Basically, how you got certain impressions that may not be exact quotes and the like.

Very interesting read, by the way. I think you profusely for it.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:04 am

JAPPO wrote:
Gozar wrote:I can't help but laugh at the negativity from Japan. I'm happy to know it's not just Americans.
Not very confident in your own opinion then, I take it.
It must be fun to be you and just act like a jerk whenever you like with no consequences.

I don't know how the Japanese would react to this. Counting "Heya! Son Goku and His Friends Return" this is the 2'nd new DB material in 11 years. As opposed to America which finally got an Uncut first 67 Episodes of Z 3.5 years ago. Apparently the Japanese fans were not blinded by a shiny new DragonBall product.

NeptuneKai wrote:Nozowa is great even if she did act a wee bit unprofessional
How is it unprofessional to dislike something and openly show it? We do it all the time with Funimation.

I'd say she's the one I'd think would be most upset aside from Toriyama. Though I wish Toriyama would rip into the thing, the man's got to be making a decent amount of money from this. Hell with the money he makes I doubt he'd really care if they made DragonBall into the story of Little Bear who receives a DragonBall from Grandfather Bear and goes on a hunt for all 7 with the aid of Duck & Cat to save the world from Father Bear who is not Darth Vader.

Nozawa on the other hand, doesn't as as much stake in it. She's been playing Goku since 1986 and Goku's the character that will probably be through the most change in the LAM. I mean he likely isn't going to be a hick after all. I'd be peeved too if my character of 22 years was vastly changed.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:46 am

Aw man, those new "high school party" screens that just popped up are everything I absolutely can't stand about this movie. (Aside from Goku's personality being butchered to hell and back of course.) :cry:

Looks like a damn tween soap-opera. >_O

Please take your high school with post-college-age actors pretending to be teenagers out of my Dragon Ball thanks.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:07 am

Chuquita wrote:Aw man, those new "high school party" screens that just popped up are everything I absolutely can't stand about this movie. (Aside from Goku's personality being butchered to hell and back of course.) :cry:

Looks like a damn tween soap-opera. >_O

Please take your high school with post-college-age actors pretending to be teenagers out of my Dragon Ball thanks.
Em, wrong thread.

But yeah not a fan either.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:19 am

Could you comment on what you meant, EXACTLY, on those bits that people say are iffy or indicate something? Basically, how you got certain impressions that may not be exact quotes and the like.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm

The fact that Masako Nozawa, an actress of SEVENTY YEARS, has openly said Yamcha looks more like Gokû than Gokû does, not to mention there was laughing at the trailer, is bad news for the film's reputation among trusted and revered Dragonball alumni who are highly critical to its sucess is pretty grim. Masako Nozawa may as well have co-creatorship of Son Gokû considering her twenty-plus years of bringing him to life not to mention the sole fact that anybody who acts as a character for so long pretty much becomes them (look at Nimoy of Star Trek). She must feel almost like his mother of sorts and to see that she was a displeased as she was is pretty important, I'd say.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:53 pm

Japan's reaction was even worse than ours.

And Nozawa's reaction makes me wondered what Sean Schemmel's reaction would be.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:07 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Japan's reaction was even worse than ours.
I wouldn't say that. So far I haven't heard anything from Japan like.
"OMG GOKU IS A WHITE EMO TEENAGER THIS MOVIE IS the GAY! LETS BOMB THE STUDIO AND BOYCOTT THE MOVIE WITHOUT EVEN SEEING IT TO KNOW IF IT IS ANY GOOD!"

Also Nozawa, no disrespect, must be blind, cause Joon Park looks nothing like Goku, Even Less so than Justin Chatwin.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:09 pm

omegacwa wrote:
"OMG GOKU IS A WHITE EMO TEENAGER THIS MOVIE IS the GAY! LETS BOMB THE STUDIO AND BOYCOTT THE MOVIE WITHOUT EVEN SEEING IT TO KNOW IF IT IS ANY GOOD!"

Also Nozawa, no disrespect, must be blind, cause Joon Park looks nothing like Goku, Even Less so than Justin Chatwin.
They were laughing at it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:10 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:And Nozawa's reaction makes me wondered what Sean Schemmel's reaction would be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx4f3DjFbW4
(This is old, just a head's up.)

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:41 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
omegacwa wrote:

Laughing, and for all we know it could have been chuckles, none of us where there, is in no way the same reaction as what I posted above.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:48 pm

omegacwa wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
omegacwa wrote: I wouldn't say that. So far I haven't heard anything from Japan like.

Laughing, and for all we know it could have been chuckles, none of us where there, is in no way the same reaction as what I posted above.
Most of the Japanese Dragonball community on Mixi isn't liking what they've seen so far.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Chris Sabat's thoughts on the live-action movie are the best, I think. He says "We win either way, if it's good then great, if it's bad then great, because we get to make fun of it then. But I'm going to see it like 4 times."
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Pitzu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pitzu » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:53 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The fact that Masako Nozawa, an actress of SEVENTY YEARS, has openly said Yamcha looks more like Gokû than Gokû does, not to mention there was laughing at the trailer, is bad news for the film's reputation among trusted and revered Dragonball alumni who are highly critical to its sucess is pretty grim. Masako Nozawa may as well have co-creatorship of Son Gokû considering her twenty-plus years of bringing him to life not to mention the sole fact that anybody who acts as a character for so long pretty much becomes them (look at Nimoy of Star Trek). She must feel almost like his mother of sorts and to see that she was a displeased as she was is pretty important, I'd say.
No.
Anyone who acts as a character for so long becomes unable to not be that character and gets their career ruined.

Like William Shatner.

I feel that the people on this board put Nozawa on a pedestal, and I can't help but laugh at it.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Pitzu wrote:Anyone who acts as a character for so long becomes unable to not be that character and gets their career ruined.
She has done and continues to do plenty more than just Goku. Goku may be her most iconic role (I'd argue that her Galaxy Express role comes close), but she's hardly typecast. Goku is the exception more than the rule.
Pitzu wrote:I feel that the people on this board put Nozawa on a pedestal, and I can't help but laugh at it.
Back up your sarcastic comments. Why do you laugh at it? What do you find so funny about it? What opinion do you hold that is so drastically different and more accurate? I'm curious.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:16 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:''Long interesting post''
Thanks for the cool read.
But I do have to make a remark about Nozawa scowling at you. If you knew the whole thing was more or less a ''set up'' directed towards the younger audience...why bother? Why lose face over such a trivial thing? I know there is gaijin-complex going on but in this particular event... you were just asking for it man. But if you ask me, Nozawa could have reacted a bit more professional so you're not fully to be blamed for it.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:37 pm

JAPPO wrote:Chris Sabat's thoughts on the live-action movie are the best, I think. He says "We win either way, if it's good then great, if it's bad then great, because we get to make fun of it then. But I'm going to see it like 4 times."
Funny Sabat would say that, being as people mock his dub acting for DBZ all the time. I guess the fans are the real winners in this situation. The publicity from this film will give DeeBeeZee fans a reason to see the anime version of Dragonball, thus increasing sales of the Dragonball box sets whenever those come.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:40 pm

Raki wrote:
JAPPO wrote:Chris Sabat's thoughts on the live-action movie are the best, I think. He says "We win either way, if it's good then great, if it's bad then great, because we get to make fun of it then. But I'm going to see it like 4 times."
Funny Sabat would say that, being as people mock his dub acting for DBZ all the time. I guess the fans are the real winners in this situation. The publicity from this film will give DeeBeeZee fans a reason to see the anime version of Dragonball, thus increasing sales of the Dragonball box sets whenever those come.
Yeah, but I don't think about actually bothers to complain to his face about his acting (espicially nowadays).

I should like to note that William Shatner was also critically acclaimed as Denny Crain on Boston Legal, Mr. Pitzu.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Raki wrote:
As much as people poke fun at him, it seems nowadays that "JAP VERSION SUX HUR HUR" is what the majority of American fans believe, if they believe anything other than, "There was this show called DeeBeeZee that I watched on Toonami years ago and now it's on DVD. Awesome."
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Sorry for getting in on this stuff late, I haven't been here for a few days.

Nozawa wrote:DB belongs to Japan!
That line made me a little angry, I mean yeah sure it was made in Japan but that doesn't mean they can 'like it better' or something like that, we can all enjoy Dragonball and there's no place for comments like that (unless of course you're speaking to a Japanese audience in Japan :roll: ).
Nozawa wrote: Then Nozawa laid the smack down on the American Kame Hame Ha. She said in Japan they extend the 'Ka' OR the final 'Ha' but in America they extend the first 'me' which just makes it sound way off.
Wow, all I can say about that is wow :roll:
Last edited by SSJ2bardock on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ