Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Wow, that poster is... bad. The words "your" and "destiny" are cut off, and it looks like they pasted 5 different posters together in friggin MSPaint. But, I guess it's good to know it's finally out to people who wouldn't think to look for the film online.

Where is that beautiful Chatwin's-back-to-the-viewer-while-charging-ki-in-his-hand poster? Loved it.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Velasa wrote:I'd actually consider buying that poster, it's pretty damn sweet looking. Saw it when I went to see Coraline.
Yeah, it's definitely the best looking one they've made, so far.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Velasa wrote:I'd actually consider buying that poster, it's pretty damn sweet looking. Saw it when I went to see Coraline.
I have the poster hanged up on my wall.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:41 pm

JAPPO wrote:
Lawl, Grammar Nazi'ing you:

Posters are hung, people are hanged.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:44 pm

B wrote:
JAPPO wrote:

people are hanged.
I would've given a better example than that. That sounds kinda....ya know.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:45 pm

B wrote:
JAPPO wrote:

Posters are hung, people are hanged.
Thanks for the correction.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:47 pm

B wrote:Wow, that poster is... bad. The words "your" and "destiny" are cut off, and it looks like they pasted 5 different posters together in friggin MSPaint. But, I guess it's good to know it's finally out to people who wouldn't think to look for the film online.

Where is that beautiful Chatwin's-back-to-the-viewer-while-charging-ki-in-his-hand poster? Loved it.

That? That's a Dragonball in his hand.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:48 pm

B wrote:and it looks like they pasted 5 different posters together in friggin MSPaint.
Agreed. The poster seems claustrophobic in nature.

THIS APRIL: THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM OF THE TOMB RAIDER BULLETPROOF MONK BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER CROUCHING TIGER HIDDEN DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION: THE MOVIE FILM FOR THEATERS

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:40 pm

It's also quite interesting that on the posters, the dragonballs are a lot bigger than they actually are in the movie...

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:05 pm

That Chatku's-back-to-the-audience poster is my favorite movie-related thing I've seen so far.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Pain wrote:I don't want to go back and forth. I'm just saying that it's time for something new.
Then go find something new. Rather than shitting on something else.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:
Pain wrote:I don't want to go back and forth. I'm just saying that it's time for something new.
I really don't think that comment was necessary.

I still haven't seen any posters at the theatre I work at. I might ask today about it, if I remember.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Big Momma wrote:I still haven't seen any posters at the theatre I work at. I might ask today about it, if I remember.
Speaking of which, when I went to see Pink Panther 2 (shut the fuck up), there were a couple of the character posters hanging down near one of the popcorn-and-Coke places. I think it was "In-a-Box Chatku" and "Football Roshi". :P

Oh, and an update on my dad: to test him, I asked if he wanted to go see it, to which he grimaced and said "Do we have to?"

So much for it looking "quite good". Mabye I'll just drag a friend along so I'll have someone to laugh at the movie with. :P
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:
Was I just insulted or given a recommendation?

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:42 pm

Pain wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:
Its a recommendation.

Pain

Post by Pain » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:
Pain wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote: Then go find something new. Rather than shitting on something else.
Its a recommendation.
We all have to go through this new era of Dragonball. What can we do about it? Nothing. I for one, will embrace it, not shit on it.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:00 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:
omegacwa wrote:And since I knew everything that was going to happen (as little was changed) my enjoyment of the film suffered.
By the same token, would the (rather faithful) animé adaptation of Dragon Ball not also cheapen the experience for you? Isn’t part of the fun of seeing an adaptation experiencing a known story in a new way… as opposed to experiencing a completely different story instead?
I've got to agree. That'd be like saying that a competent English dub of a series isn't going to be as enjoyable as one that completely rewrites the dialogue, simply because you know what is going to be said. Every new medium doesn't need to "reinvent" the series from scratch.

-Corey
All I am saying is that since I knew what was going to happen, and since little was changed, there was no surprises, the plot twists I already knew and so on. I still respect the movie because it was awesome how well they adapted it, but the enjoyment of seeing it for the first time was lost.

Nowhere in my post did I say that it needed to be reinvented, you guys are putting words into my mouth. All I said is I welcome some changes because it will be like seeing something new and dragonball that I haven't seen before, so there might be some surprises and what not. Does that mean I wouldn't like a direct translation to film, of course not, I would welcome it. But we all know that a bit of excitement would be lost because we would know exactly what would happen.

I honestly don't see whats hard to understand about my opinion.

Also, about the not liking the anime because it faithful to the manga is a odd statement. I hadn't read the Manga before I saw the show, not to mention the Manga and show were coming out almost simultaneously. Not to mention also that the point of an Anime is to be the animated version of a Manga, not an adaptation which most movies tend to be.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Pain wrote:I would've given a better example than that. That sounds kinda....ya know.
Lynching someone is actually the only time you use the word "hanged," so no other word would be correct.

Went to see Watchmen, shit was SO cash, but no DBE posters. I sure hope that theater is going to show it, as it's my regular and I have a gift card there.

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Krakabeast » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:11 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:Oh, and an update on my dad: to test jim, I asked if he wanted to go see it, to which he grimaced and said "Do we have to?"
Did he say the same thing when you asked him if he wanted to see Pink Panther 2 too?

Sorry, I had to. :lol:
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:51 pm

omegacwa wrote:I honestly don't see whats hard to understand about my opinion.
Nothing’s hard to understand about it; it just doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that would really be an issue when you’re going to see something that you’re already familiar with. I haven’t seen Watchmen (going in a few minutes though), so I can’t comment on letdowns, etc. yet, but having read the comic I am definitely going in expecting certain things and I will not be disappointed if those expectations are met.

And while yes, surprises can be refreshing, when you reach the point where the movie is nothing but surprises, does it still apply?
Also, about the not liking the anime because it faithful to the manga is a odd statement. I hadn't read the Manga before I saw the show, not to mention the Manga and show were coming out almost simultaneously.
It’s just an analogy. Having read any manga first, would its faithfully-retold animated counterpart be a letdown for you in the same way as with a movie? What makes the two situations any different?
Not to mention also that the point of an Anime is to be the animated version of a Manga, not an adaptation which most movies tend to be.
An adaptation is the transfer of a story from one medium to another; it is so named because the source material undergoes adjustments in order to make it suitable as the target material. I’m pretty sure both “books→cartoons” and “books→movies” fall under this same category.