Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:54 am

I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:58 am

Really? No critics allowed?! :shock:

I wanted to read some official reviews too... :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:59 am

Is this from a reliable source as far as the Toriyama quote is concerned? Also the very fact that “Evolution” is tacked on demonstrates that is in fact a “‘New Dragonball’, Dragonball in an another dimension.””
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:01 am

Unless this is becoming the FOX norm this does not exactly bode well for this film. Critics hate popcorn action flicks, critics hate even more to have to pay to see said popcorn flick.

EDIT- Read the actual source. Gosh, throw some NSFW for that. Even if I'm on my personal PC. And my point is moot if the PR people are actually not lying.
Last edited by Super Sayian Prime on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:02 am

I mean...I never expected for this movie to get favorable reviews but god damn! :? (They'll probably do the same thing when it comes out over here too.)
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:03 am

Chuquita wrote:

Wait wait wait. Didn't our resident DBE expert Jappo state they had been screening the film to critics?

In any case, this is almost never a good sign.

-Corey

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 am

At the end of the day all that matters is money, how many people actually listen to critics and obsessed fans of a franchise?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:At the end of the day all that matters is money, how many people actually listen to critics and obsessed fans of a franchise?
Definitely not the folks behind the "Flick/Movie" movies, that's for sure. :x
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:25 am

Oh man! I saw this image in the New York Times today!

I thought to myself, "Thats funny, those look like Dragon Balls" and I turned the page. I should have stopped and read it! GAH! ::head explodes, birds fly out::

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:39 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Is this from a reliable source as far as the Toriyama quote is concerned? Also the very fact that “Evolution” is tacked on demonstrates that is in fact a “‘New Dragonball’, Dragonball in an another dimension.””
Kanzentai wrote:Moving on, we have a little bit of news concerning the live-action movie. Oricon entertainment has posted a trailer for the movie with a preface from our main-man Toriyama. Here's what he had to say (as translated by Anime New Network):

As the original creator, I had a feeling of "Huh?" upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs, but the director, all the actors, the staff, and the rest are nothing but "ultra" high-caliber people. Maybe the right way for me and all the fans to appreciate it is as a New Dragonball of a different dimension. Perhaps, this might become a great masterpiece of power! Hey, I look forward to it!!
I don't know if that's reliable enough, but it's all I got. :D
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:45 am

I was under the impression that the preface was going to be Mr. Toriyama sitting at a drawing desk addressing the camera out loud. Not something that was all text. :(

*A little sad.*
Ah well.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:26 am

omegacwa wrote:Just from the clips that we have so far, I can tell this movie is going to be at least decent. I don't know why people are giving it a 1 out of 5 or some other ridiculously low score. People clearly don't understand what a bad movie that deserves a 1 is.
FUCKING THIS.

Man I hate the casual public at times, especially when you know for a fact this is simply a case of people hating it because it's not the anime.
I'm not ready for this.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:37 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:At the end of the day all that matters is money, how many people actually listen to critics and obsessed fans of a franchise?
Matters to who, and how? To me, all that matters is whether this film is any good, and not being screened to critics is often a sign that a film is bad.
DominatorLost wrote:Man I hate the casual public at times, especially when you know for a fact this is simply a case of people hating it because it's not the anime.
You know this..."for a fact"? How?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 am

Chuquita wrote:

This could be false. It could be an angry fan lashing out on 20th Century Fox. I mean, I've never heard of that website...

But if it is true, for shame, Fox, for shame.

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:43 am

What's the big deal?
I'm not ready for this.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 am

MisterFlashdude wrote:Piccolo seems a bit too hands-on and something of a walking deus ex machina. Daimao spawned demons to take care of the dirty work, and this Piccolo being able to paralyze people, crush houses and dry lake beds with a twitch of his finger seems a bit lazy in the plot department.
That's a good point, I was more comparing this Piccolo to Piccolo once he's forced to work alone. But you make a very good point here. I still like Muten Roshi though, it IS a little bit awkward but I think his personality was caught pretty good. Especially for the arc they're trying to do. Roshi wasn't overly funny during the Piccolo Daimao stuff, so having the focus more on the serious in the LaM is a good way to go.

I have a strong feeling Roshi will be the highlight of the Movie for me. As far as the movie as a whole goes...Bad acting, the fighting scenes are very corny, and Chatku...Oh Chatku. As far as Piccolo goes, I haven't seen enough, I'm on the fence about him.
I can't help but laugh. It's just more fuel to the fire.

Akira Toriyama wrote:As the original creator, I had a feeling of "Huh?" upon seeing the screenplay and the character designs, but the director, all the actors, the staff, and the rest are nothing but "ultra" high-caliber people. Maybe the right way for me and all the fans to appreciate it is as a New Dragonball of a different dimension. Perhaps, this might become a great masterpiece of power! Hey, I look forward to it!!
I really like the way Toriyama operates here. He does his humble man duty of telling people to watch the movie. But at the same time, doesn't actually say he likes the movie but rather the people who worked on it. I know we sort of joke around that Toriyama doesn't really care about DB (At least not like the fans do), but it's nice to see that he's not gushing happily at all if he doesn't really feel that emotion. I really get the feeling that he's being honest. he's not playing anything up or down. Just speaking from the heart. So props to him.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:16 am

Totally expected. Fox doesn't let critics watch films they have no confidence in, and you can tell they don't based on the marketing alone.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 am

Saw it.

It's really bad.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:58 am

Shit, the site is blocked here...!! Moving on...

Just to let you know, I havn't and I don't want to watch those videos that you post beyond the trailers. I don't want to ruin the movie for me when I'll watch it in theaters.

----------------

From the latest American Shonen Jump issue:
SJ: So, What does it feel like playing the character of Goku?
Justin Chatwin: First of all, I want to say that I'm honored to be playing this character, because he represents such an important mythic figure - he represents moral good, a new hope. He also influences me, because he's a guy who's always taking action, always looking at the positive side of something, and always looking to do good and protect the little people.
SJ: When you play Lord Piccolo, what thing do you care about most?
James Marsters: When I think of Piccolo, the one word that comes to my mind is solitude. I always remember Piccolo floating above a beautiful landscape. He's looking at his feet and meditation. That more than anything is Piccolo for me, and what he's meditating on is his revenge. I'm playing Piccolo as a man who went to prison for a long time, where he had no mirrors. He finally busts out after 2,000 years, looks in the mirror and sees he's old, decrepit and weak. He despises hemself, and hates the mystics for putting him in a prison and stealing his youth. At that point, he want's to kill the mystics, their family, the whole town and planet they protect. It's all about revenge.
SJ: How challenging is it for you to play a character like Bulma?
Emmy Rossum: It's just exciting for me. I'm a big fan of her character. Her personality is spunky and strong, sexy and feisty and determined. She's been descriped as the smartest girl in the whole world. I want to try to keep the core of who she is - her intelligence, her drive and her feistiness, and also some of her teenage temper tantrums.
SJ: If you got all seven dragonballs, what would you wish for?
Chow Yun-Fat: I wish... I wish... one wish or seven wishes? [laughs] I wish we were living in a very clean environment. No war, one country. No matter what color we are, we would be living in a very harmonious situation.
Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:00 am

omae no kaasan wrote:Saw it.

It's really bad.

More details?
Trans rights, now!