Dragon Ball: Evolution- Speculation and Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:18 pm

It's funny how some of us were hoping for a cameo by Sabat as Shenlong. But in the end, Shenlong gets 0 lines. :lol:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Velasa wrote:
omae no kaasan wrote: OH PLEASE TELL ME WHAT GREAT MYSTERY LIES WITHI-
...^%#$%^&*(*%^&%$^

It's taken me a while to even be able to type this calmly because among all the bullshit ideas this thing's been perpetrating, I thought at least Daimaou was dead and Pic'd follow, because Daimaou is not the kind of man who reforms. He's bundled up madness and burning- he does not change his opinion or grow to like people. He's Daimaou. Madness and evil incarnate, and I thought we were finally past this crap and Piccolo'd be following and we'd get a sensible explanation for all of this.

I've accepted or been able to ignore or get past a lot of crap with this movie, but this might just be the straw that breaks my $#)*!(@* back. A lot of you guys'll say I'm overreacting and it's just a trivial aspect, ect ect, but this..... this just hits all of my buttons just the wrong way and saps the man entirely of character development ("Oh, they beat me up, we're friends now!") when it seemed so much like the man was actually going to be respected in this movie, and breaking him and deleting Pic is just too goddamn much for me to accept.

Pretty much how I feel about what they've done to Goku.
Most of my anger's mellowed out though out of pure tiredness. I feel worn out from fighting and hoping that Goku'd bear SOME semblance to, well, Goku. :(
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Cypher wrote:Would it really have been so goddamn difficult to have Daimaou spit up a CGI egg, or SOMETHING to make it in some way anything like the manga version of the Daimaou/Piccolo Jr. setup...? :?
Or, I don't know, a failsafe in the preestablished machine of his that replicates things from his blood?

And Chuquita... I know what you mean hon. But they let me think until about five minutes ago that my boy'd be alright, and then they add a one minute scene that completely eviscerates him. It's not even like Son tried to spare him- he shot him dead and suddenly he's going to be friends with them? The Great Deamon Lord, Pikkoro Daimaou.....

... We've known for a long time that they'd ruined Son, not that it makes it any better what they did to him. But this was just goddamn cruel. It makes me crazy thinking about it too much and I need something to calm me down right now.
Last edited by Velasa on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:22 pm

True, there definitely were options. I still don't get these Fulum things...are they equivalent to manga Daimaou's minions in any real way, other than obeying his orders?

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:26 pm

EDIT:: I'm just gonna move this question into the Spoiler Discussion thread, as you'd probably prefer discussing these things without having to add spoiler lines followed by huge air gaps in each of your post.

My biggest question concerning the movie was how they dealt with the whole Saiyan (Saiya-jin) heritage.

Also, was the story steeped in a sort of mystical world like Dragonball, or were they already alluding to the sci-fi elements that would eventually have been revealed in DBZ?
Last edited by tarrin4ever on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 pm

Cypher wrote:I still don't get these Fulum things...are they equivalent to manga Daimaou's minions in any real way, other than obeying his orders?
Yeah he didn't say anything about them in the review. Were they as cheesy as they look? What were their parts like?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 pm

SPOILER

SPOILER

The clone mutants are in the movie for about 3 minutes. They're made. They attack, the camera shakes like a war film, they're quickly defeated but they come back so they get thrown into lava. Goku chops up a few and throws them into the lava to make a bridge. That was the one other scene besides the awesome car-wrecking 'fight' that felt like DB.

My biggest question concerning the movie was how they dealt with the whole Saiyan (Saiya-jin) heritage.

Also, was the story steeped in a sort of mystical world like Dragonball, or were they already alluding to the sci-fi elements that would eventually have been revealed in DBZ?

SPOILER CONTINUED

I'm not sure if you guys know this or not. I haven't been watching scenes online or anything or what's been covered in interviews so maybe this is old news but....hmm, I can't believe I'm writing this.....

The Oozaru is the servant of Piccolo. As I recall Piccolo reveals that Goku landed on earth and was destined to transform into the beast after an eclipse on his 18th birthday to become the Oozaru, Piccolo's servant.

What?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:The Oozaru is the servant of Piccolo. As I recall Piccolo reveals that Goku landed on earth and was destined to transform into the beast after an eclipse on his 18th birthday to become the Oozaru, Piccolo's servant.

What?
The only response I have to that is this...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:38 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:The Oozaru is the servant of Piccolo. As I recall Piccolo reveals that Goku landed on earth and was destined to transform into the beast after an eclipse on his 18th birthday to become the Oozaru, Piccolo's servant.
Of course! It's so simple and obvious!

....Opium! The people making this film were high on opium! Damn, why didn't we all see this before?

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:40 pm

Spoilers, blah blah, spoilers. Dont look fools.

Wait... THE HELL!? BROOKLYN RAGE!!

That makes no sense. Are the saiyans suppose to be some sort of minion of Piccolo or something? If so, doesn't that totally screw up what would probably happen in the sequels, with the whole Saiyans being ridiculously stronger than Nameks.

And are Saiyans only capable transforming during eclipses now? And only after puberty strikes!!?

Damn it, this makes me the most mad. They couldn't even keep a hold of the general storyline. We knew they were gonna fuck around with the characters, but damn I was sorta hoping they'd at least be able to tell the story right.

And by revealed, are we talking EXPOSITION LIEK WHOA, or actual flashbacks / repressed memory stuff? A shot of the pod, or are we assuming he just fell outta the sky?

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm

I'd say we could just guess Daimaou found one by accident, but who knows what the hell they're going to do after everything else they've done to this series.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:43 pm

tarrin4ever wrote:And only after puberty strikes!!?
That's one helluva late bloomer. Because puberty hits way before 18. o_O
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 pm

But acceptable-to-beat-up happens at 18 aparently. Kinda like the diffrence between Four and Four-and-a-Half.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:46 pm

Tsukento wrote:

What?
The only response I have to that is this...

At the risk of incurring Mike's wrath, I must agree.

Okay, sorry. Had to. No more, I promise. This whole thing sounds like it leans more towards "Legend of Chun-Li" bad, as opposed to the delightful "Street Fighter with JCVD" bad.

-Corey

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:This whole thing sounds like it leans more towards "Legend of Chun-Li" bad, as opposed to the delightful "Street Fighter with JCVD" bad.
Nah, even though I'm having my doubts now, it still doesn't sound nearly THAT bad. At least the movie seems to keep things moving, instead of having Goku and Bulma spend 20 minutes randomly wandering around a city looking for Roshi.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 pm

Tsukento wrote:
tarrin4ever wrote:And only after puberty strikes!!?
That's one helluva late bloomer. Because puberty hits way before 18. o_O
Forgive me, I meant the end of puberty. Or the start of manhood, or whatever blargh... The point is having to wait that long for a transformation sorta negates the whole "sending their children to planets to destroy them" deal. If he wasn't going to get super strong till 18, they should have kept him on planet Vegeta and gave him a real Saiyan upbringing.

Oolong215
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oolong215 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:41 pm

I don't care dammit!

I'm still gonna see this movie and I think it's gonna be great!

I will never give up hope!!
How can thou be out of breath when thou hast breat to say thou art out of breath?

Milton
Patreon Supporter

Post by Milton » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 am

MisterFlashdude wrote:Uber spoiler link of doom.
"I compel you, come forth and grant my wish"?

Ugh...all I had was a flashback to Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

"I implore you to reconsider!"

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 am

I've been okay with all the changes and everything, but Chatku's acting in some of the latest leaked scenes just makes me wince.

I'm still going to see it, of course, just so I can form my own opinion of it and speak about it in an informed fashion.

Anyway, just this minute I saw an ad on TV here (New Zealand) saying that Burger King now has Dragon Ball Evolution toys. Uhh...and the film doesn't come out until April 9th here! This is the first news I've seen about it on TV; the only other thing I've seen here was a poster at the cinema.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:46 am

SPOILERS AHOY!

If you honestly don't want anything spoiled for you why are you reading this thread anyway?

Yeah I know its the Dragonball Evolution Speculation thread. Key word Speculation. But do you honestly believe a bunch of overly obsessed Dragonball fans (face it we are) don't know by now the major plot points of the film by now? Yeah, I'm sure know no one here is going to SPOIL anything for you.

No seriously, its like going to the movies with a friend you know already saw the film twice! And he's not the type to keep his mouth shut. So even if you ask him "Dude, I know you saw the movie already, but I haven't. So please don't spoil for me, okay?" He agrees. And five minutes into the film, you found out that Dr. Manhattan kills Rorschach at the end of the movie. Oops. Sorry. You should have read the book first.

Yeah SPOILERS BELOW!

Dumb question to ask here but did anyone watch the clips to this movie yet? (Hm, it seems so far like 90% of you guys did)

I'm always "late to the party" sort to speak, and I just recently watched some clips from the film. The clip I found most amusing was the scene were Bulma meets Yamcha for the first time. Apparently Goku, Bloomers, and Roshi fell into trap made by desert bandit Yamcha. (Kind like the plan Team Rocket would come up with to catch twerps) and is willing to free them for a price. Bulma of course flirted with him, practically offering her virgin flower to a guy she just met (Damn, that's pretty spot on if you ask me). I love the look on Chatwin face It just reads "What. A. Slut."

The action sequence (and I say the word action very lightly) was bad yes. But I love crappy movies! I loved D.O.A and DOOM the movies and both were absolutely god awful films but from what I watched so far DBE looks a lot better than those two. But then again that's not saying much.

This is going to my feel good movie of the year. For others I'm sure it would hurt.