DB Super Exciting Guide: Story

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

DB Super Exciting Guide: Story

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:52 am

It's about as exciting as a lecture on metaphysics.

Unless you're passionately in love with metaphysics...

In which case you might say it's about as exciting as a lecture on something other than metaphysics.

Most of it is information we've seen organized in a number of similar ways all too many times. Goku's power levels, whom he fought and when, his age throughout the series, etc. No doubt the backbone of this book is Goku. Which makes it more or less like the other previously released guides.

They changed it up this time by stating which fights happen when NOT during tanks but during the kanzenbans AND the animation. There's an interesting and easy to understand chart on a single page that lists all of Goku's canon 'fights' AND with what move the match was won. I thought adding that last detail was neat.

Regarding Tenshinhan, the debate will continue to rage. He's listed HERE as an Earthling. So have at it Daiz VS PURE manga fans.

The tail end HOWEVER, IS interesting in that it includes an interview with Toriyama.

Always fun.

I'll summarize here because tonight is LOST night and I'm sure another fan will do it word for word soon enough.

Q. How'd you create Goku?

A. Toriyama says he was watching a lot of Bruce Lee & Jackie Chan KF films at the time. He was also watching Saiyuuki (he does not indicate which of its many versions Chinese OR Japanese) and thought it would be cool to combine them into one. He says the goal of Saiyuuki was to reach Tenjiku (India) which was a kinda hard concept to work with so he decided to change the ultimate goal into the DBalls. zHe notes the vast difference in where the story ended up.

Fuck me up the ass and call me a bitch. He's going to explain the blonde hair.

Q. Why does Goku get blonde hair when he turns SS?

A. Toriyama says it's really kinda simple. He only uses one assistant (very rare for a mangaka) Mr. Matsuyama. When Goku became stronger Toriyama was looking for a way to express his strength and when they talked it over, they decided that by making his hair blonde, they'd kill two birds with one stone.

1. Matsuyama could save time by not having to fill in Goku's black hair which took long to dry.

2. He would look phsyically very different.

TORIYAMA ADDS!!!!!!! It became well known that SSJ was 50x stronger than the normal Goku but this became a mountain out of a molehill. As the author, he really intended him to just be 10x stronger than he previously was.

WOW.....

3. How did you think of training for characters?

A. He didn't really think of anything too hard. He got a lot of inspiration from things like the training scenes of Drunken Master. He thinks that Roshi's training for proper greetings and study were the most difficult. He notes that he's afraid of heights and that he'd hate to have to go through the Karin Tower training.

4. How did you think up the Kame Hame Ha?

A. First he says that he actually tried a number of poses when he was alone and chose which was the coolest. As for the name, as good DB fans know, he relates the tale of how his wife came up with it jokingly. He says he's frequently asked whether or not he got inspiration from any pro wrestling (K1-ish) stuff. He says while he really likes KF flicks, he really doesn't have any interest in wrestling and such.

His 5 Fav Battles

1. Goku VS Piccolo Daimaou

Reason: He says, honestly, he's forgotten most of the story but this was the first time he took down a truly terrifying enemy. That's why he loves it best. It also helped him determine the flow of the story beyond that point.

2. Chibi Trunks VS Satan

Reason: He wonders if it's okay to say 'Just because I like Mr. Satan a ton and he's in it'. That and it has a nice conclusion.

3. Goku VS Recoom (whatever they call him these days)

Reason: More than it being a duel between two people, Toriyama loves that the feeling that the Goku we all waited so long for finally arrived! He thinks he might get some heat for saying so, but it was for that very scene that he made the Freeza arc to that point, so very long.

4. TIE

Krillin VS Bacterian

&

Gotenks VS Evil Buu

Reason: We've heard this many times before but he likes these silly battles more than serious ones. He thinks silly stories are the best.

5. Goku VS Freeza

Reason: If for nothing less the appearance of the SS form and fulfilling his promise to his assistant. He was really pleased with the result.

Q. What's the trick to winning battles [in the DB world]?

A. Toriyama says it all comes down to 'ki', the size of it and the ability to control it. He says it includes several forms: genki, yuuki & shouki (energy, bravery & true character). You can only train your muscles to a certain point, it's 'ki' that carries you beyond that and what helped Goku come closer to being the strongest warrior in the universe.

Q. Who would you like to be friends with [of your characters]? What would you do with them?

A. He says they all have really strong characters and some of them are downright dangerous so he isn't really interested in making friends with any in reality BUT if he had to choose it would be this five:

1. Bulma- Says it's selfish but if he became friends with her she'd probably give him an Air Car and other cool inventions.

2. Gohan- He's not obnoxious, carries himself properly and does his best.

3. Dende- Same reason as Gohan.

4. Roshi- They share perverted interests.

5. Krillin- Because he's probably the character with the most common sense and he'd be easy to get along with.

There you have it.

Oh there's also a section which rates Goku's attributes throughout the series with stars. Didn't see anywhere that said Toriyama had input. Doubt it.

Well 6 bucks for the answer to the mystery of the blonde hair.

Yeah...it was worth it ;)

Sorry for the shitty job. Now to see if Smokezilla shows up this week.
Last edited by omae no kaasan on Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:58 am

Cool, thank you!

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:06 am

Toriyama likes one of my favorite fights. Coolz.
And that friend list makes a lot of sense, too.
And no more dilly-dallying around the SSJ boosts!

Nice. Thanks, guy.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: DB Super Exciting Guide: Story

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:19 am

omae no kaasan wrote:Regarding Tenshinhan, the debate will continue to rage. He's listed HERE as an Earthling. So have at it Daiz VS PURE manga fans.
Isn't 'Earthling' different to 'human'? You can be an Earthling without being human. Oolong is an Earthling.

I like the part about only being able to train your muscles to a certain point, at which point it's ki that takes you beyond.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:05 am

Thank's a bunch Greg. Sadly, no Smokezilla this week, though. :cry:

Bah, I want a scan of that battle power and age stuff. Espicially the age stuff. :lol:
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:16 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:Regarding Tenshinhan, the debate will continue to rage. He's listed HERE as an Earthling. So have at it Daiz VS PURE manga fans.
Well, he's listed as an Earthling in Daizenshuu 4 too, which is also the first place the whole Three-Eyed alien thing is ever mentioned, that I'm aware of. The idea is that he's an Earthling descended from aliens, so listed him as an Earthling doesn't contradict that.

The reason for Super Saiyans having blond hair because it's easier to not have to black in their hair was actually already mentioned by Torishima in Shenlong Times #1. The fact that Toriyama did it for his assistant's sake is new information, though.

Landmark and Forever list events going by the kanzenban (but not the anime as well).
TORIYAMA ADDS!!!!!!! It became well known that SSJ was 50x stronger than the normal Goku but this became a mountain out of a molehill. As the author, he really intended him to just be 10x stronger than he previously was.
Wait...so SSJ Goku is equal to Goku using Kaio-ken x10, and to Oozaru? Because the x50 thing only applies to Goku's regular power; using the x50 thing, SSJ Goku is only 5x strong than Kaio-ken x10 Goku.

Anyway, thank a lot for the write-up.
Bussani wrote:Isn't 'Earthling' different to 'human'? You can be an Earthling without being human. Oolong is an Earthling.
You can also be a human without being an Earthling. Vegeta refers to regular Saiyans as "humans", in contrast to their Oozaru forms, and Ginyu describes himself as "the type of human who can control his battle power".
Last edited by Herms on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Wow! Thank you very, very much! Is there any indication in the book that future volumes will come?

And I won't get to watch this episode of LOST until Saturday, so if there isn't any Smokezilla (I'd never heard that before, it took me a second to get it :lol:) there'd better be some nice Other's back-story dammit!
Herms wrote:
omae no kaasan wrote:TORIYAMA ADDS!!!!!!! It became well known that SSJ was 50x stronger than the normal Goku but this became a mountain out of a molehill. As the author, he really intended him to just be 10x stronger than he previously was.
Wait...so SSJ Goku is equal to Goku using Kaio-ken x10, and to Oozaru? Because the x50 thing only applies to Goku's regular power; using the x50 thing, SSJ Goku is only 5x strong than Kaio-ken x10 Goku.
Well, I don't know how much of an exact translation this was, but he said "known that SSJ was 50x stronger", and that Toriyama ony "intended him to just be 10x stronger". And sine a 10x doesn't really make sense in the manga when you see how much friggin' better Goku did against Freeza in SSj form as compared to Kaio-ken x10. At this point I still think that the SSj transformation equals a 50x increase and it was only Toriyama's intention that it be a 10x increase; but who knows, I'll wait for a word-for-word Herms-quality translation! :wink:

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:03 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:At this point I still think that the SSj transformation equals a 50x increase and it was only Toriyama's intention that it be a 10x increase; but who knows, I'll wait for a word-for-word Herms-quality translation! :wink:
Well, it's still over a month before I go back to Tokyo, and omae no kaasan could translate it better than I could, anyway.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Herms wrote:
SSj_Rambo wrote:At this point I still think that the SSj transformation equals a 50x increase and it was only Toriyama's intention that it be a 10x increase; but who knows, I'll wait for a word-for-word Herms-quality translation! :wink:
Well, it's still over a month before I go back to Tokyo, and omae no kaasan could translate it better than I could, anyway.
Oh, OK. I'm sure you could just get a scan from Hujio when he gets it, if you want to take a crack at it.

Oh ya, and when you go back to Japan... UPDATE YOUR BLOG THIS TIME!! :D

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:13 pm

@Herms: Is ningen literally "human" (homo sapien)? I've always thought that ningen could mean something generic like "person" or "being" or... something, in those two lines.

Any, omae no kaasan, if you are going to make any scans, it'd be nice to read Toriyama's interview.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:04 pm

B wrote:...And no more dilly-dallying around the SSJ boosts!...
If it literally translates to intend would not Toriyama’s okay in the Daizenshuu for the 50x multiplication by default make that the valid one? Officially speaking the Daizenshuu is what we have received, Toriyama intended to do many things but he ended up going a different route.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:07 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:@Herms: Is ningen literally "human" (homo sapien)? I've always thought that ningen could mean something generic like "person" or "being" or... something, in those two lines.
Yeah, basically, which was what I was trying to say. As I understand it, ヒト is what’s used for humans in the strictly biological sense (note that it's written in katakana, like other biological names for animals). 人間 is probably closest in meaning to “person”: in practice it’s almost always used to just mean homo sapiens, but the criteria for being one or not is based on having a certain level of intelligence or culture, so sentient computers or aliens could debatably qualify.

Though fantasy/sci-fi works don't always use 人間 in the sort of general, "if it walks on two legs and can talk, it counts" way that DragonBall does. In Yu Yu Hakusho, for instance, it refers just to the inhabitents of the Human Realm. It's not used for the inhabitents of the Spirit and Demon Realms, despite them often looking identical or very similiar to homo sapiens and being at least as intelligent.
SSj_Rambo wrote:Oh ya, and when you go back to Japan... UPDATE YOUR BLOG THIS TIME!! :D
Yeah, yeah...sorry, I just kept putting it off, and never really got around to it. I'll try and do better this time.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Other LOST fans! X3
Man I can't wait until Sawyer informs Jack's group about the fact that they're all stuck in 1977.

I love official Toriyama information. X3

Also the bit about Goku's ssj hair always amuses me.
Less inking saves on time and looks visibly different! :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:16 pm

2. Gohan- He's not obnoxious, carries himself properly and does his best.
Thumbs up!

Really great insight! It's great to know that Toriyama shares my viewpoint in that the silly bits of the series are the real charm of it all. I never thought that ridiculous, cliche, drawn out battles are what made Dragon Ball great like so many people seem to--it was the adventure, the thrill, and the great personalities that so many of the characters had. It was charming, basically.

Not to say that I don't like fighting, and bear in mind that I'm basing off the anime here, but... yeah.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:2. Gohan- He's not obnoxious, carries himself properly and does his best.
I think Mr. Toriyama is forgetting which characters are which again.

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:08 pm

Isn't 'Earthling' different to 'human'? You can be an Earthling without being human. Oolong is an Earthling.
*ponders* While a good observation, characters like Trunks are literally listed as 'Half Saiyan and Human'.

Also, the category is 'Race' so...

I personally have no opinion on it. I stopped having opinions on DB story points a long time ago.
Thank's a bunch Greg. Sadly, no Smokezilla this week, though.
BUT WE GOT THE FREAKIN' STATUE O_o

Well, he's listed as an Earthling in Daizenshuu 4 too, which is also the first place the whole Three-Eyed alien thing is ever mentioned, that I'm aware of. The idea is that he's an Earthling descended from aliens, so listed him as an Earthling doesn't contradict that.
Excellent point and that could very well be the case. If you're interested in pursuing it to see if it meets standards his listing as an earthling in this guide is 種族. I have neither the Daiz with me in the same country nor the heart for such endeavors.
The reason for Super Saiyans having blond hair because it's easier to not have to black in their hair was actually already mentioned by Torishima in Shenlong Times #1. The fact that Toriyama did it for his assistant's sake is new information, though.
Wow, I guess it has been a long time since I read them. I think the only DB trivia I can remember these days is Bulma's address.
I'm sorry, I forgot how detailed and confusing it gets with using what technique when and how his body has limits etc.

The exact words he uses are: 10x stronger than he could be to that point.

For Japanese readers:

中略

ただ当時、スーパーサイヤ人になると、約50倍の強さとされていたんですが、ちょっと大袈裟でしたね。作者の気持ちとしては、今までの10倍ぐらいの変化、という感じで描いていたと思います。
Well, I don't know how much of an exact translation this was, but he said "known that SSJ was 50x stronger", and that Toriyama ony "intended him to just be 10x stronger". And sine a 10x doesn't really make sense in the manga when you see how much friggin' better Goku did against Freeza in SSj form as compared to Kaio-ken x10. At this point I still think that the SSj transformation equals a 50x increase and it was only Toriyama's intention that it be a 10x increase; but who knows
It changes nothing in the story. The story is what it is. It's just trivia.

Sorry for no scans. If this was me about a decade ago I'd be all over it but my heart belongs to another now. There are much more dedicated individuals that will bring you amazing stuff.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:11 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:Excellent point and that could very well be the case. If you're interested in pursuing it to see if it meets standards his listing as an earthling in this guide is 種族. I have neither the Daiz with me in the same country nor the heart for such endeavors.
Ah, thanks. 種族 is the same thing they use in Daizenshuu 4.
The exact words he uses are: 10x stronger than he could be to that point.

For Japanese readers:

中略

ただ当時、スーパーサイヤ人になると、約50倍の強さとされていたんですが、ちょっと大袈裟でしたね。作者の気持ちとしては、今までの10倍ぐらいの変化、という感じで描いていたと思います。
That's interesting. And still confusing, since Goku as SSJ is only x5 stronger than he could be up to that point, taking Kaio-ken x10 into account, so Toriyama's idea is actually twice as large as the x50 net increase he thought was so huge. But of course, by his own admission he's forgotten most of the story, so I really shouldn't nitpick so.

Is it really written out スーパーサイヤ人 and not 超サイヤ人 with スーパー furigana, like in the manga?
omae no kaasan wrote:Oh there's also a section which rates Goku's attributes throughout the series with stars. Didn't see anywhere that said Toriyama had input. Doubt it.
About this, is it really rating Goku's attributes with stars, or is it rating the effectiveness of the training he undergoes? One of the preview pages had a page from that section (or what I think was), and I thought it was rating the training, but I might have just assumed that because of the training guide in Landmark that rates the attributes of the different forms of training by stars. This looked like the same thing to me.

Oh yeah, and about Matsuyama: he was Toriyama's assistant way back in Dr. Slump as well (he often appears in the story together with Toriyama), so it's neat to know he kept working for Toriyama all that time.

Anyway, thanks again for all of this.
Last edited by Herms on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:20 pm

Goku is able to use 20x Kaiouken at that point, so it's only a 2.5x increase.

But yeah, it doesn't REALLY matter.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Herms wrote:
Bussani wrote:Isn't 'Earthling' different to 'human'? You can be an Earthling without being human. Oolong is an Earthling.
You can also be a human without being an Earthling. Vegeta refers to regular Saiyans as "humans", in contrast to their Oozaru forms, and Ginyu describes himself as "the type of human who can control his battle power".
Now that you mention it, Oolong would probably be a ningen too, by Dragon Ball standards.

When they refer to the half Saiyajin, like Omae said;
*ponders* While a good observation, characters like Trunks are literally listed as 'Half Saiyan and Human'.
Do they use ningen or some other term in that description?

omae no kaasan

Post by omae no kaasan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:09 pm

Is it really written out スーパーサイヤ人 and not 超サイヤ人 with スーパー furigana, like in the manga?
Nonono. I wrote it like that so it would be read like that since I can't do furigana. I'd do the same for any character intended to be read differently, I wasn't trying to dumb it down. But I'm glad you asked to clarify that.
About this, is it really rating Goku's attributes with stars, or is it rating the effectiveness of the training he undergoes? One of the preview pages had a page from that section (or what I think was), and I thought it was rating the training, but I might have just assumed that because of the training guide in Landmark that rates the attributes of the different forms of training by stars. This looked like the same thing to me.
Again, thank you for asking for a clarification, the stars are literally what attribute of his the training works on.

There is an accompanying circular point chart showing his overall growth in the same fields. The graph builds on itself so it follows his growth from start to finish. By the end his 'ki' is disgustingly far off the chart.

They say it's based on data supervised by Toriyama. However they do not say exactly what that data is.

Is it something Toriyama made for this book?

Or are they being ambiguous on purpose when they really mean, the comic?

But don't take my cynical word on commercial Japanese society for it:

孫悟空の勝利は、地道ですまじい修業の成果だった!鳥山先生監修のデータをもとに、悟空の成長を解析するぞ。

It's interesting how fast they are to throw his name around whenever it comes to any bit of data or selling point. Don't get me started on the fact that they added his letter from JUMP Festa to the start of DBE television spots.