What's so wrong with having Broly be a Universe 6 fighter

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What's so wrong with having Broly be a Universe 6 fighte

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:17 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Others have already addressed it. The chance of Broli being on Champa's team is miniscule. This is Toriyama's story. He really doesn't care what other people have written for the franchise and recent works have just hammered that in.

That said, I wouldn't really care if Broli was on Champa's team. I don't dislike his design (though I prefer him non buff). Honestly, I'd probably be excited if he was, because he sure as hell wouldn't be the same character everyone already knows. Plus, rewriting Koyama's pride and joy after his comments on Beerus, as well completely shattering everything the fanwanked-to-absurd-proportions fans had previously thought about the character? There would be a bit of satisfaction in that symbolic middle finger.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Yes, it can. You just have to think of the cast taking a vacation from the training for the Cell Games. Easy as pie.
It's not easy as pie when you have to jump through a lot of hoops to kind of make partial sense of some of the inconsistencies at best.
Such as?
I seriously doubt anyone would be comfortable with taking a vacation with a ten-day doomsday clock known as the Cell Games fast approaching. I mean, I know everyone's an amoral prick at this point, but they aren't THAT awful to just ditch the planet. There's also the fact Cell would've taken notice of Broly's massive power if Piccolo was able to as well. These aren't big problems that make the film impossible to place in the regular timeline of events but they are there.

Personally the optimal scenario for this movie is that Goku just up and killed Cell during the Cell Games with his Instant Kamehameha and this takes place very shortly after that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:53 pm

The biggest problem with Movie 8 isn't that the main cast is taking a vacation. Rather it's that the entire world isn't in a total panicked shut-down because of the impeding Cell Games. That's what happened in the series, but in Movie 8, Earth's population is carrying on as normal, doing things like having cherry blossom picnics and conducting private school interviews.

So Movie 8 can't have happened in line with the main series. It only could if the Androids/Cell arc somehow wrapped up without the Cell Games ever happening or even being announced. Like if Piccolo beat the Androids, or Vegeta beat Stage-2 Cell. Or, maybe, it could be AFTER the Cell Games, if Goku won by getting lucky and destroying Cell's core with that Kamehameha or something.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:26 pm

Champa isn't an alternate Beerus. He's literally Beerus' brother. Vados isn't an alternate Whis. She's literally Whis' sister.

That means that there's no reason to assume that there will be an "alternate Goku", since we haven't seen any alternate anybody. Granted, there may be some individual that sort-of corresponds to Goku. However, it in all likelihood will not be Goku.

Broly is from a universe where Goku exists. Universe 7 is the only universe where we can confirm "a Goku" exists. This means that if Broly showed in Super, we have no reason to think that he could be from any Universe other than number 7.

Given all of that, why, then, would Broly exist in Universe 6? They could either retroactively say that (at least one of) the Broly movies happened in Super's continuity, and Broly somehow found his way to Universe 6 after his defeat, or they could have a different version of Broly who has none of the backstory of the one that we know (which would feel needlessly pointless).

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:57 pm

The problem with Broly being a universe 6 character is that Broly doesn't exist in the Official Dragon Ball timeline.
Hi

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:55 pm

I like the first Broly movie, and I think his design was by Toriyama himself but the only way I think it could work is if you repackaged the entire character. Let's say King Vegeta had him supposedly killed (When they stabbed him) and he survived just like in the movie. Instead of Goku, he hates Vegeta because he sees King Vegeta when he looks at him. Paragus tried to save his son when he heard Broly was to be executed, they Killed Paragus's entire family and instead of killing Paragus himself, they expelled him from planet Vegeta as punishment for going against King Vegeta. He later found Broly alive, and the story begins from there. Planet Vegeta's God thought of the Saiyans as being evil and wanted to destroy them right? The murder of Broly and his family was the incident that triggered the God to to feel this way. Broly has his own personality, until he's angry and LSSJ makes him insane. (Rip of from Hulk I know). Since Vegeta isn't the cocky SOB he used to be, have him apologize for what his evil father done and that he had nothing to do with it, (Broly in his normal form) reconsiders and thinks that he's no better than King Vegeta if he tries to kill Vegeta's family like he did his, and Paragus doesn't agree with it and grabs Trunks and starts to kill him, and when Broly see's it, it reminds him of the way he was stabbed and how it felt, so he saves Trunks and whatever from there. That would be my idea of a Broly Arc and him joining the team eventually, with Vegeta finally getting the spotlight. Also Broly learns to use the power of his LSSJ form in his normal SSJ, with his hair being Green instead so that he doesn't go insane. Let's say this power is on par with Bluper Saiyan, and there is an Arc where he looses control, and turns into the buff LSSJ 3 like we see in the video games. Oh found a decent picture:

TheXenoverse

Post by TheXenoverse » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm glad these replies aren't as lethal as I expected, thank you for the respect guys.

I'd like to clarify, I personally don't actually care if Broly is in Universe 6 arc or not, I'm just trying to address the recent spike in fans who seem to dismiss and shun anything that was not penned by Toriyama himself, I'm not attacking per say, just addressing.

The Broly we could possibly get in Super, doesn't necessarily have to be the same kind of character as Broly in the movies, it isn't the first time Toriyama has retconned personalities anyway (Bardock's characterization in Dragonball Minus) and so honestly it wouldn't matter.

We've gotten some great 'anime-only' or 'movie-only' content that people love (Bardock, History of Trunks, Gotega etc.) and honestly I can't argue that even though Broly is the weirdest, most anomalous individual I can think of in the series outside of Golden Freeza, he is pretty awesome :P (don't hurt me)

All I really mean to say is, let's not shun Broly simply because of what we've seen or for the sake of Broly hate. Me personally, I would love to see someone new come and I'm hoping that's the direction this goes in, lets all just have a good time :)

TheXenoverse

Post by TheXenoverse » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:29 pm

Xeztin wrote:I like the first Broly movie, and I think his design was by Toriyama himself but the only way I think it could work is if you repackaged the entire character. Let's say King Vegeta had him supposedly killed (When they stabbed him) and he survived just like in the movie. Instead of Goku, he hates Vegeta because he sees King Vegeta when he looks at him. Paragus tried to save his son when he heard Broly was to be executed, they Killed Paragus's entire family and instead of killing Paragus himself, they expelled him from planet Vegeta as punishment for going against King Vegeta. He later found Broly alive, and the story begins from there. Planet Vegeta's God thought of the Saiyans as being evil and wanted to destroy them right? The murder of Broly and his family was the incident that triggered the God to to feel this way. Broly has his own personality, until he's angry and LSSJ makes him insane. (Rip of from Hulk I know). Since Vegeta isn't the cocky SOB he used to be, have him apologize for what his evil father done and that he had nothing to do with it, (Broly in his normal form) reconsiders and thinks that he's no better than King Vegeta if he tries to kill Vegeta's family like he did his, and Paragus doesn't agree with it and grabs Trunks and starts to kill him, and when Broly see's it, it reminds him of the way he was stabbed and how it felt, so he saves Trunks and whatever from there. That would be my idea of a Broly Arc and him joining the team eventually, with Vegeta finally getting the spotlight. Also Broly learns to use the power of his LSSJ form in his normal SSJ, with his hair being Green instead so that he doesn't go insane. Let's say this power is on par with Bluper Saiyan, and there is an Arc where he looses control, and turns into the buff LSSJ 3 like we see in the video games. Oh found a decent picture:

Honestly, only replying because that picture is pretty badass, I'd love universe 6 to look like this, definitely Toriyama style. I think the other Gods of Destruction will be variations of Beerus' design however, based on Champa's design, which I kind of detest.

Interesting ideas as well, but I don't think Broly should ever become an ally, thats a bit too much in my opinion but hey that's just me :clap:

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Vegeta's test will prevent Broly from joining whichever team :P
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:00 pm

I want to see it happen so a bunch of people will cry, and then say it was an amazing idea that Toriyama came up with later.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:22 am

So this villain gets to come back only to be killed again and no one bats an eye, but when somebody wants Broly to return and everyone loses their minds.

Me personally though, as long as Toriyama executes Broly return well and all, I'm all for it.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:37 am

Again, Broli isn't part of Toriyama's works and he's the one coming up with the plot and characters for that arc. If by some miracle he were to be included, it wouldn't be a "return" of the Broli you know, it'd be a "debut" of Toriyama's version of the character.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:44 am

None of that doesn't matter to me. It still would count as a return to me since I've seen the character before, and I mean franchise-wise.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:46 am

Oh man, YouTube really has invaded Kanzenshuu. Is nothing sacred? :(

You have three movies, you have his SSJ3 form in Raging Blast, SSJ4 (two versions I guess) and Golden Oozaru form in Heroes, and he is always for whatever reason shoehorned into every single video game whether it makes sense or not (being the only playable villain in Sagas, being a boss in Attack of the Saiyans, despite that game not extending beyond the fight with Vegeta, being the only movie character featured in countless DBZ games, and being the final boss in a game where Buu and Beerus exist). What more do you people want? Evidently I'm missing an aspect of this character that makes him endlessly compelling, worthy of bringing back over and over again, despite the fact that he was first defeated by Cell-level characters and ultimately killed by Goten and a rusty Gohan. His power is not "endless" or "constantly rising"--that was based upon a mistranslation by FUNimation where originally it was implied that his (limited, mind you) power was overflowing to the point where he was unable to control it.

Can we please move on? Thanks.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:06 pm

What more do you people want?
Your screams and tears.
Seriously, no matter how would it be done, seeing this forum reaction to new Brolly would be just awesome.
I've written many times that I think that this character is the most wasted idea of whole DBZ universe, so I'd gladly see a retcon. But I doubt that it will happen, since it would require changing... well, practically everything, besides basic concept and it would look like showing middle finger towards movies director.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Eire wrote:
Your screams and tears.
Seriously, no matter how would it be done, seeing this forum reaction to new Brolly would be just awesome.
I've written many times that I think that this character is the most wasted idea of whole DBZ universe, so I'd gladly see a retcon. But I doubt that it will happen, since it would require changing... well, practically everything, besides basic concept and it would look like showing middle finger towards movies director.
I think the concept of his original movie was a good one and I think the concept of a "true" legendary saiyan was also a good one. Broly was however executed very poorly as a character. But as you point out, if Broly returned in Super, he would only share the same name as the original character and pretty much nothing else. It would be a funny gag for him to return and be one shot by Goku or Vegeta though. Make it happen Toriyama!

But seriously though, I don't really want Broly to be in Super. I'm not a fan of his. I don't hate him, but I think he's pretty boring. Maybe Tori and Toei can fix that, but I don't know.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:25 pm

Eire wrote:
Your screams and tears.
Idk why people keep saying this. If Broly is completely rewritten or redesigned, he wouldn't be Broly. Same as if Goku was redesigned. Or any of the characters for that matter. It would defeat the purpose of him returning. After Broly's creator basically gave the middle finger to Beerus (and sort of) Toriyama, I doubt they'd care lol

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Wezenheim wrote: I think the concept of his original movie was a good one and I think the concept of a "true" legendary saiyan was also a good one. Broly was however executed very poorly as a character.
I actually hate the concept of the lssj, even if brolli were amazing. Ssj is achieved through emotion and hard work, not destiny. If anyone should be the lssj it is Goku.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:46 pm

irreality wrote:
Wezenheim wrote: I think the concept of his original movie was a good one and I think the concept of a "true" legendary saiyan was also a good one. Broly was however executed very poorly as a character.
I actually hate the concept of the lssj, even if brolli were amazing. Ssj is achieved through emotion and hard work, not destiny. If anyone should be the lssj it is Goku.
That's fair. I agree on the destiny angle. Stuff like that is why I like Goku as a character better than say Superman. That being said, since we know that our version of Super Saiyan isn't one that appears "every 1,000 years" so I could buy into Broly actually fitting into that legend, especially if they were keeping it a movie or a Garlic Jr. like filler arc. The main problem I see with this as far as narrative goes is the simple fact that the themes of a hard work Goku vs. a naturally powerful Broly would be pretty similar to Goku vs. Vegeta.
Last edited by Wezenheim on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:10 pm

While I hope it doesn't happen I would LOVE if this happened.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Nafno
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nafno » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:24 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: I seriously doubt anyone would be comfortable with taking a vacation with a ten-day doomsday clock known as the Cell Games fast approaching. I mean, I know everyone's an amoral prick at this point, but they aren't THAT awful to just ditch the planet. There's also the fact Cell would've taken notice of Broly's massive power if Piccolo was able to as well. These aren't big problems that make the film impossible to place in the regular timeline of events but they are there.

Personally the optimal scenario for this movie is that Goku just up and killed Cell during the Cell Games with his Instant Kamehameha and this takes place very shortly after that.
Not to mention that Gokuh and Gohan kept the SSJ state on throughout those ten days in order to achieve complete control of the transformation, and in the movie we see them in their normal state and then transforming. That by itself makes the film impossible to place.

The fact that people are doing school interviews instead of packing things and running is revealing too.