Most ridiculous thing in DragonBall?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: Most ridiculous thing in DragonBall?

Post by Pantalones » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:52 pm

That's not ridiculous, that was already heavily implied years ago.

I'm glad they kept it consistent actually.
"Freeza Planet #76."

If anything, the exact opposite of the 28 planets thing was heavily implied.

Think about it -- every single Freeza-occupied planet would either be populated by at least some of his soldiers, or it would be up for sale to some other alien race that wanted it. And unless he was in the business of occupying uninhabited planets and selling them off, each of those planets would've had other inhabitants before his soldiers came in. Even if we assume the bare minimum and say that Freeza only ever had 76 planets under his control and those that he sold off to someone else were included in that number, that's 76 inhabited planets in one galaxy (or "galaxy," since it seems the North/South/West/East Galaxies are not galaxies as we know them, more like quarters of the entire universe containing many galaxies each) alone. And then there's Earth, Yardrat, New Namek, Pui Pui's homeworld Zun, Yakon's "dark planet," Metamor (though since Goku met the Metamorians in the afterlife I suppose their planet could be destroyed or uninhabited now), the various planets that Beerus and Whis have mentioned throughout Super... the bare minimum amount of inhabited planets rises into the 80s even if you don't count Z filler episodes, movies, or GT.

And if you assume that we've already heard of basically every inhabited planet in the 7th Universe, that leaves the other three "Galaxies" pretty much barren, since we know Earth was in the North Galaxy (same as most if not all of Freeza's planets if I'm remembering right) and Namek was... somewhere else, I guess either East or West. East seems likely considering that the old Kaioshin in the Z-sword was a former East Kaioshin and he was familiar with the Dragon Balls.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Gog wrote:Namekian's having clear biological differences between all of them, even though they're asexual. I've never found a proper explanation for that besides it's Dragon Ball.
They are an alien race completely foreign to how life evolved and works on Earth and to its inherent biological processes. Whatever applies to Earth life doesn't necessarily apply to alien life.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:30 pm

rereboy wrote:
Gog wrote:Namekian's having clear biological differences between all of them, even though they're asexual. I've never found a proper explanation for that besides it's Dragon Ball.
They are an alien race completely foreign to how life evolved and works on Earth and to its inherent biological processes. Whatever applies to Earth life doesn't necessarily apply to alien life.
Honestly, I just chalked it up to different life experiences shaping them differently. Of course if you're born from one parent then you're always going to be an identical clone. So, possibly their metabolic processes change in adulthood? Considering that every Namekian child looks the same. And the adults actually have a lot of difference between them. This is all complete head canon so take it with even less than a grain of salt. :)

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Gog wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Honestly, I just chalked it up to different life experiences shaping them differently. Of course if you're born from one parent then you're always going to be an identical clone. So, possibly their metabolic processes change in adulthood? Considering that every Namekian child looks the same. And the adults actually have a lot of difference between them. This is all complete head canon so take it with even less than a grain of salt. :)
It's possible.

Or somehow, unconsciously and as a natural process, they are able to actually edit their genes almost to the level a person would be able to alter code in a computer when they clone themselves. That means that they would be clones but with radically changed genetic codes, making them look different, have different personalities and traits and so on, with the only limitation being that they aren't able to do it consciously.

That could also offer an explanation for why the offspring of Piccolo Daimao looked so different from Namekians... Since he was basically a demon, he unconsciously altered the make-up of his children to an degree than they didn't even look much like him.

Anything is possible. It might even be related to their mystical/magic abilities.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 am

Tao Pai Pai. He fucking killed Blue with his tongue.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:46 am

Any flaw that TFS has ever made fun of.

I used to complain years ago about how characters would stare into something coming from a distance that would blast them hard and do nothing to dodge or minimize its damage.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:14 am

theherodjl wrote:Broly.
How could we forget the guy that has stigmatized many members of the DB fanbase just by appearing in a few movies and creating a never ending debate regarding his strength, status, and hypothetical potential in DB lore???
This.
Hate the character - no personality whatsoever, and the most boring backstory ever. Only popular because perceived as being unstoppable.

I actually wish they would write him into the current story somewhere so we could have Goku, Vegta or Gohan wipe the floor with him and be done with it.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:22 am

I'm pretty sure nothing can top Yamcha breaking a manga panel and any other instances of 4th wall breaking early on in the manga.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 am

SonReggie wrote:
How could we forget the guy that has stigmatized many members of the DB fanbase just by appearing in a few movies and creating a never ending debate regarding his strength, status, and hypothetical potential in DB lore???
This.
Hate the character - no personality whatsoever, and the most boring backstory ever. Only popular because perceived as being unstoppable.

I actually wish they would write him into the current story somewhere so we could have Goku, Vegta or Gohan wipe the floor with him and be done with it.
The over the top hate for Broly is more ridiculous than Broly, imo.

We have Super #13 who is basically Broly in the way he acts, looks, shrugs off attacks, is boring and has no personality, but since he is not as popular as Broly he gets nowhere near the same hate, despite the arguments for hating Broly being the same for Super #13. The only reason he gets that much hate is as a response for being more popular and that is pretty ridiculous, imo.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:45 pm

rereboy wrote:
SonReggie wrote:
This.

The over the top hate for Broly is more ridiculous than Broly, imo.

We have Super #13 who is basically Broly in the way he acts, looks, shrugs off attacks, is boring and has no personality, but since he is not as popular as Broly he gets nowhere near the same hate, despite the arguments for hating Broly being the same for Super #13. The only reason he gets that much hate is as a response for being more popular and that is pretty ridiculous, imo.
Android 13 was only in one movie though.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:31 pm

SonReggie wrote: Android 13 was only in one movie though.
That only justifies "overexposure". What you said regarding the disliked aspects remains the same. In fact, personally, I'd argue that android 13 is worse than Broly in those aspects. Also, hating a character because he was in 3 movies instead of 1 is not much better than hating him because he is popular.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:30 pm

rereboy wrote:
That only justifies "overexposure". What you said regarding the disliked aspects remains the same. In fact, personally, I'd argue that android 13 is worse than Broly in those aspects. Also, hating a character because he was in 3 movies instead of 1 is not much better than hating him because he is popular.
I don't hate him because he is popular. Or at least not directly. I hate the fact that he is, as you say, just as boring and characterless as Android 13 yet the fanbase continues to argue (though not here so far as I can tell) about how LSS is stronger than SS3/SSG/SSB etc etc. It's tiresome. As I said, I wish he would appear in something, because Goku/Vegeta would trash him without breaking a sweat.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:49 pm

SonReggie wrote:the fanbase continues to argue (though not here so far as I can tell) about how LSS is stronger than SS3/SSG/SSB etc etc. It's tiresome. As I said, I wish he would appear in something, because Goku/Vegeta would trash him without breaking a sweat.
To be fair you dont really see this anymore.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:17 pm

SonReggie wrote:
rereboy wrote:
I don't hate him because he is popular. Or at least not directly. I hate the fact that he is, as you say, just as boring and characterless as Android 13 yet the fanbase continues to argue (though not here so far as I can tell) about how LSS is stronger than SS3/SSG/SSB etc etc. It's tiresome. As I said, I wish he would appear in something, because Goku/Vegeta would trash him without breaking a sweat.
You and others say that... but then just focus on Broly, forgetting other characters like Super 13 because Broly is more talked about (aka he is more popular). For all intents and purposes, it's because he is more popular.

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Yeah, I know where you're coming from Gog. Even though the Namekians reproduce asexually, which is scientifically called parthenogenesis, both the manga and anime draw them each a little different because it would difficult to tell them apart if they looked exactly alike.

Despite Freeza being already powerful, it was reveled he was a prodigy who had no need to train. After this is said he goes to train and soon reaches the level where it took the Z-fighters years to reach in a span of less than a year. While I do enjoy Freeza's comeback, it's a stretch of faith to see him becoming stronger in a short amount of time.