So why was movie Broly so weak compared to Kale's form?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So why was movie Broly so weak compared to Kale's form?

Post by precita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Movie Broly seemed to be around SSJ2 level in all his appearances. Kale in Super was able to tank a Super Saiyan Blue Kamehameha wave with no scratches.

That means Broly is a joke compared to Kale. Oh well, discuss.

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: So why was movie Broly so weak compared to Kale's form?

Post by DanielSSJ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 am

The best answer I can come up with is that Toei Animation doesn't really care about strength consistency. As Chris Sabat once said "Because it's make-believe".
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:39 am

Broly was written at a point when SSJ was the strongest level Goku could reach, Kale is written at a point where we have numerous forms past SSJ.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:43 am

precita wrote:Movie Broly seemed to be around SSJ2 level in all his appearances. Kale in Super was able to tank a Super Saiyan Blue Kamehameha wave with no scratches.

That means Broly is a joke compared to Kale. Oh well, discuss.
The in-universe explanation is that Broly's base form was much weaker than Kale's. Out-of-universe, the writers just don't care enough.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:50 am

The reason is that Kale is not using LSSJ, she's using her own form.

Kale, while being an obvious reference to Broly is NOT Broly and while their transformations look the same, it isn't the same transformation as LSSJ.

This means that LSSJ turns out to be close to SSJ2 in power while Berserk SSJ is close to SSJB in power.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:03 am

That movie came out years ago are you serious!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:13 am

Dragonballgod19 wrote:That movie came out years ago are you serious!
Yes, we're aware we're comparing a movie from the early 90's to a character from 2017.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:23 am

precita wrote:
Yes, we're aware we're comparing a movie from the early 90's to a character from 2017.
Goku and vegeta weren't god tier years ago that why

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:35 am

Yeah I think her base is probably higher and obviously the element of Goku and co being stronger so she needs to be stronger to actually Compete from the writers point of view at the very least.

Also, she’s from a different universe and a different person entirely so I don’t see any reason why she couldn’t be far stronger especially with a fellow super Saiyan (touching ssj2) to train with as well
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:13 am

Wasn't SS Broly only able to fight the base Saiyans, but when he went LSS, he steamrolled the regular Super Saiyans?

If that's true, then by scaling with Kale being anywhere at all approaching the current base Saiyans (assuming they're so strong as to rival Majin Buu), a LSS-like boost could presumably get her to low god level.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:24 am

Because regardless of looks, they are different characters.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:56 am

DHM211 wrote:Broly was written at a point when SSJ was the strongest level Goku could reach, Kale is written at a point where we have numerous forms past SSJ.

Best answers in this thread.Should be obvious.

Slangh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Slangh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:53 am

Because Broly would have killed everyone.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:59 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Wasn't SS Broly only able to fight the base Saiyans, but when he went LSS, he steamrolled the regular Super Saiyans?
Nope, he tanked Super Vegeta's kick and blast in his initial Super Saiyan state.
It's in his next movie, that his SS only manages to give base Gohan a good fight.

As for an in-universe answer, Broly was just born from low level Saiyans, so even though they both have that form, Kale was born with far more dormant power, because she presumably had far stronger parents.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Broly is an U7 character and Kale is an U6 character, the later has no obligation to follow U7 interpretation of how strong the "LSS"/Berserker form has to be.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Why is this comparison even being made? Super make zero reference to Broly when Kale transforms, so Kale's SSJ form can be as strong as it wants given the concept of Broly doesn't exist in the world of Dragon Ball Super or even the original story. Broly, as well as his form, were introduced in an inconsequential movie. So why Super has to feel obliged to follow suit, in regards to power, with the concepts introduced in DBZ Movie 8 somewhat mystifies me. Super wants to do it's own thing and it should be free to do so.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Super make zero reference to Broly when Kale transforms, so Kale's SSJ form can be as strong as it wants given the concept of Broly doesn't exist in the world of Dragon Ball Super or even the original story. Broly, as well as his form, were introduced in an inconsequential movie. So why Super has to feel obliged to follow suit, in regards to power, with the concepts introduced in DBZ Movie 8 somewhat mystifies me.
Honestly, it brought me a lot of joy when Goku and Vegeta didn't "recognize" what was happening. I knew it would be the case, and it was predictable, but in the back of my mind I was a little worried TOEI would toss fans a bone and acknowledge he character, but nope--there you have it. Direct confirmation (as though it hasn't been obvious for decades) that the movies hold no bearing on the main story. Kale's whole concept is just a tongue-in-cheek nod to the character, nothing more. Any substance beyond that has nothing to do with him. Additionally, Goku's Kamehame-Ha was obviously held back. He isn't going to go for the kill since it's against the rules, so he probably underestimated her toughness when he fired it.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Why did Kale have to be as weak as Broly?
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:31 pm

If we're using Super's power scaling, then Broly was not weaker than Kale at all.

Not ONCE in any of the movies did Broly sustain ANY damage whatsoever until some bullshit deux ex occured at the very end of them. Broly has never ever lost a fair battle, or come close to it.

Remember when Trunks and Vegeta won a beam struggle against Merged Zamasu? Or when Goku single-handedly did the same thing a minute afterwards with no Kaio Ken? This is the same bs that occurred in movie 2 with Broly, only he wasn't immortal. Movie 1 deux ex Goku would beat anyone in the franchise because he is not supposed to lose; it's a power up that breaks the barrier of any power level discussion. I have no doubt in my mind Broly would be STRONGER than Kale if he ever showed up in Super (no training required). Of course, he's officially non-canon in Super, so it is what it is.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Broly's power already was beyond understanding in the movie. Why was Kale so strong? For they very reason that through Kale they now can fulfill the fan wishes of Broly having this power placement as well. Just like Dragon Ball Heroes already does.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"