Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ricardolindo

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movies placement on the timeline

Post by Ricardolindo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:11 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Ricardolindo wrote:
Ricardolindo wrote:Now, I've noticed a problem with Bojack Unbound is that, in DBS, Gohan said to Future Trunks they had not met since Cell's defeat. What do you think?
Of course, this creates a plothole as for why Future Trunks didn't go to the main timeline, one more time, to tell, he had defeated the cyborgs, as he had planned, and was about to do when Future Cell appeared.
Why not both in one trip?
´

I think you misunderstood my statement. If we accept what Gohan said in DBS about not having seen Future Trunks since Cell's defeat, then that creates a plothole as for why Future Trunks didn't go to the main timeline, one more time, to tell, he had defeated the cyborgs, as he had planned, and was about to do when Future Cell appeared. What would have made sense would be that, after killing Future Cell, Future Trunks went to the main timeline, one more time, to tell, he had defeated the future cyborgs, but Gohan's statement contradicts it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Ricardolindo wrote:I think you misunderstood my statement. If we accept what Gohan said in DBS about not having seen Future Trunks since Cell's defeat, then that creates a plothole as for why Future Trunks didn't go to the main timeline, one more time, to tell, he had defeated the cyborgs, as he had planned, and was about to do when Future Cell appeared. What would have made sense would be that, after killing Future Cell, Future Trunks went to the main timeline, one more time, to tell, he had defeated the future cyborgs, but Gohan's statement contradicts it.
Ah, I thought you meant that Gohan said that in the movie, not Super.

The answer there is pretty clear then: that movie is not canon with Super (what a shocker).

Ricardolindo

Post by Ricardolindo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:04 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Ricardolindo wrote:I think you misunderstood my statement. If we accept what Gohan said in DBS about not having seen Future Trunks since Cell's defeat, then that creates a plothole as for why Future Trunks didn't go to the main timeline, one more time, to tell, he had defeated the cyborgs, as he had planned, and was about to do when Future Cell appeared. What would have made sense would be that, after killing Future Cell, Future Trunks went to the main timeline, one more time, to tell, he had defeated the future cyborgs, but Gohan's statement contradicts it.
Ah, I thought you meant that Gohan said that in the movie, not Super.

The answer there is pretty clear then: that movie is not canon with Super (what a shocker).
And the problem is that contradicts not only the movie but Future Trunks's plan, shown in DBZ. This must be one of Toriyama's amnesias.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Ricardolindo wrote:
KBABZ wrote:The answer there is pretty clear then: that movie is not canon with Super (what a shocker).
And the problem is that ontradicts not only the movie but Future Trunks's plan, shown in DBZ. This must be one of Toriyama's amnesias.
I disagree. Not that I'm saying Toriyama would have remembered those films and their intricacies, but I think the situation is more that Toriyama really don't care about the plot of those films and how they fit in with his story, be it the one he told or one he's writing in the moment. I mean it's pretty obvious the films play fast and loose with continuity for the sake of making the scenario work, but they're blatantly non-canon and I feel like some fans hold them too high up on how they're supposed to be integrated into the manga/anime.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:12 am

KBABZ wrote:
Ricardolindo wrote:
KBABZ wrote:The answer there is pretty clear then: that movie is not canon with Super (what a shocker).
And the problem is that ontradicts not only the movie but Future Trunks's plan, shown in DBZ. This must be one of Toriyama's amnesias.
I disagree. Not that I'm saying Toriyama would have remembered those films and their intricacies, but I think the situation is more that Toriyama really don't care about the plot of those films and how they fit in with his story, be it the one he told or one he's writing in the moment. I mean it's pretty obvious the films play fast and loose with continuity for the sake of making the scenario work, but they're blatantly non-canon and I feel like some fans hold them too high up on how they're supposed to be integrated into the manga/anime.
Forget the movie. In the series we know for a fact Trunks was indeed about to depart to the past again, but Super contradicts this with Gohan's statement.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 am

dbgtFO wrote:Forget the movie. In the series we know for a fact Trunks was indeed about to depart to the past again, but Super contradicts this with Gohan's statement.
Well Trunks is in a time machine, it's easily possible for him to have appeared maybe only a few days after he originally left, thus close enough for Gohan to feel it can be grouped as "since Cell's defeat".

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:51 am

KBABZ wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Forget the movie. In the series we know for a fact Trunks was indeed about to depart to the past again, but Super contradicts this with Gohan's statement.
Well Trunks is in a time machine, it's easily possible for him to have appeared maybe only a few days after he originally left, thus close enough for Gohan to feel it can be grouped as "since Cell's defeat".
The fact you can use that as a legitimate answer seriously grinds my gears.
This is not a personal attack by the way, I just do not like that idea.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:45 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
The fact you can use that as a legitimate answer seriously grinds my gears.
This is not a personal attack by the way, I just do not like that idea.
The time travel proximity bit? Honestly I don't know why Trunks didn't do that the first time around: if he travelled back to shortly after he gave Goku the medicine then he would have been able to train in the safety of that timeline and amp up for the coming of the Androids. The only risk would be Bulma and Vegeta not having a kid, and he can easily avoid that by popping in after he's born.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:01 pm

KBABZ wrote: The time travel proximity bit? Honestly I don't know why Trunks didn't do that the first time around: if he travelled back to shortly after he gave Goku the medicine then he would have been able to train in the safety of that timeline and amp up for the coming of the Androids. The only risk would be Bulma and Vegeta not having a kid, and he can easily avoid that by popping in after he's born.
The idea that Trunks can appear at any point in the timeline and apparently not create new timelines as a consequence, despite less or more time passing between the timelines.
In the prior case, Trunks travelling back to right after the Cell Games despite 3 years having passed in his timeline.

Ricardolindo

Post by Ricardolindo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:14 am

KBABZ wrote:
Ricardolindo wrote:
I should have made my statement more like DBGFTO's. Forget the movie, we know, that, in DBZ Future Trunks was going to go to the past one last time to tell he had defeated the future cyborgs but Super contradicts it with Gohan's statement. To me, this looks like one of Toriyama's amnesias. While your explanation is possible, this is upsetting.