Shin Kikoho, Senzu and Tenshinhan's life span

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ3_Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Shin Kikoho, Senzu and Tenshinhan's life span

Post by SSJ3_Gogeta » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:00 pm

I know that Tenshinhan's life force can be drained by the use of Kikoho. However, he was given a Senzu Bean once Goku rescued him from Cell. Did the bean restore his life expectancy back to normal (if it was shortened to begin with)? If not, how does his revival after dying in the Buu Saga implicate on his life span?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Shin Kikoho, Senzu and Tenshinhan's life span

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Hmm, isn't the distinct "life force" stuff only in the Funi dub? I'm pretty sure in the manga that they are just talking about his ki in general, which is your energy, your life force, your stamina, etc. You use it all up and you'll die. With the senzu restoring his energy, there's no longer a problem.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:26 am

Yeah, Funi's dub tried to make it seem like it was something other than ki that was being consumed with the Ki Kou Hou, that, apart from ki, there was also "life force", and that's what Tenshinhan utilized for it.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:37 am

It's said to be a 'life shortening' technique, so I guess the best guess would be to assume that its usage causes real bodily damage as to take time off Ten's lifespan. Therefore, it stands to reason that if administered in short proximity after using the technique, Senzu could reverse any damage - but in the case of long term bodily damage induced from its previous usage (similar to scars), Senzu would probably be useless.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Would have been a great strategy for the Saiyans to learn the Shin Kikoho for use with Senzu to abuse zenkais, back when they were still useful.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm

I always determined it as the same thing, even as a dub fan.

Well, for the most part, at least. There's your energy that you use to fight, and your "life force" is your energy reserves that you use to live