Did you guys know this? (Androids 17 and 18)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:46 am

Amigo Ten wrote:
rereboy wrote:Cell`s objective is to become perfect, the supreme being.
Seems kinda pointless.
Actually no.

Gero was a brilliant scientist. Like most brilliant and workaholic scientists he was probably obsessed about his work. It was the most important thing to him. And so he probably looked at his experiments and inventions like works of art and his life ambition was to reach perfection in his experiments.

When he was with the reb ribbon army he probably had all the funding and support that he needed for his twisted experiments.

When Goku trashed the Red Ribbon army its was a huge set back for him. He no longer had a morally deprived and almost unlimited funding. He hated Goku for it. So much that he vowed to destroy him and so he began studying him and his friends, and began working and building androids that would be able to destroy him. His hatred took hold of him and consumed him.

However, despite having turned his inventions to the objective of revenge, he never, as a scientist quit chasing his life ambition. And so he perfected his inventions and when the inspiration came to create a perfect organism, he left most of the work for his super computer because he was obsessed with revenge... His objectives of revenge and the work he put into it took a lot of time, so in that way he could do two things at once.

And so, the computer completed his life ambition. A perfect organism. The perfect work of art. A being which combined all the advantages of the most powerful and most resilient life forms known which would strive to become perfect, unbeatable, unmatched.
This being was also programmed so that he could add the power of the other Gero`s inventions (the androids), so that he could combine the power of those life forms to that of the most advanced and powerful killing machines on Earth, effectively combining the most powerful biological and technological/mechanical powers known.

What exactly Gero told the computer to do is unknown but it could be something as simple as providing the computer with all the data and DNA he had, a life form sketch and these objectives:

- collect data and DNA
- combine all the advantages of the most powerful beings in existence into the subjects DNA
- input the subject with the will to strive and meet perfection
- and provide subject with all the information necessary to do it

This would explain why Cell had Freeza`s DNA but Gero knew nothing about the Super Sayans or Trunks. He had stopped observing Goku, confident that he could not progress much further, but his computer was still collecting data and DNA to create Cell.
That would also explain why Cell went after the other androids. Provided with that instructions, the computer, which all most of the data of Gero`s experiments, reached the conclusion that it would be beneficial for Cell to add the power of the other androids to his own. But it didn`t have the means to incorporate the makings of the androids into Cell right from birth because they were not just biological, so it made Cell capable of doing it and it provided Cell with all the information he needed. It was probably unable of making Cell capable of absorbing 16`s power because he didn`t have any part biological, so it just focused on 17 and 18.

So, as you can see, its not a pointless objective at all. Its Gero`s dream and even more than he imagined.
Herms wrote:
rereboy wrote:But Cell`s objective is NOT to defeat Goku. Cell`s objective is to become perfect, the supreme being. He`s not like the other androids. He`s evil, but he wasn`t built do destroy Goku like the other were.
When explaining about the Cell Games, Cell tells Trunks that he was created in order to kill Son Goku, but that this objective holds no real meaning for him.
Really? Damn, there goes my theory :lol:.

Well maybe not. Maybe he also had that objective because Gero was obsessed with revenge, but he also had other objectives. And those appealed to him, personally, a lot more than killing Goku.

Actually it wouldn`t make sense for someone so obsessed with revenge to not include the objective of killing Goku into all his works. So that`s one more objective that the computer followed and gave Cell. But it doesn`t really contradict what I said, I think.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:51 am

Herms wrote:Well, it's not like he knew when they were going to kill him.
Well he knew they were delinquents. Also could this mean that Cell also served as a precaution for Gero (just in case)?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:I could see the computer noting (via the spy robot) that the strongest beings out there are No. 17 and No. 18, and engineering Cell in such a way he'll be able to absorb them...
If the computer could note that then it would know there was no one left for Cell to defeat.
Maybe the computer wasn't programmed to keep tabs on Gokû? Dr. Gero sure didn't.

Shoryuken wrote:I just realised a plot hole, why did Dr. Gero not just insert the genetic material for 17 and 18 into Cell instead of him having to absorb them?
Which is one of the reasons I'd rather think the computer came up with the idea of using No. 17 and No. 18 as "power-ups" for Cell...
(another being that "building" breathing and thinking power-ups feels like an odd thing to do)

Another possible plot hole would be that (future) Trunks actually waited for Cell to show up, at the end of the Cell arc, when he knew perfectly well the location of Dr. Gero's computer. Unless Cell was already gone upon Trunks' return (but what had he been doing for years, then?), that seems somewhat careless.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Amigo Ten wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:I could see the computer noting (via the spy robot) that the strongest beings out there are No. 17 and No. 18, and engineering Cell in such a way he'll be able to absorb them...
If the computer could note that then it would know there was no one left for Cell to defeat.
Maybe the computer wasn't programmed to keep tabs on Gokû? Dr. Gero sure didn't.

Shoryuken wrote:I just realised a plot hole, why did Dr. Gero not just insert the genetic material for 17 and 18 into Cell instead of him having to absorb them?
Which is one of the reasons I'd rather think the computer came up with the idea of using No. 17 and No. 18 as "power-ups" for Cell...
(another being that "building" breathing and thinking power-ups feels like an odd thing to do)

Another possible plot hole would be that (future) Trunks actually waited for Cell to show up, at the end of the Cell arc, when he knew perfectly well the location of Dr. Gero's computer. Unless Cell was already gone upon Trunks' return (but what had he been doing for years, then?), that seems somewhat careless.
Exactly what I was thinking, about the computer coming up with the idea to absorb them. As for the computer not keeping tabs on Goku...you're right, it probably didn't. But it's a computer, programmed to carry out it's task. It wouldn't care if there was no one for Cell to fight. It's just doing it's job.

As for Trunks in the future, I guess he was just trying to show off by knowing where Cell would strike. Makes you feel bad for the people Cell must have eaten across the way though.

Failing that, he could have been out eating people to get enough strength to fight Trunks (or so he thought).

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanos wrote:I'm waiting for Toriyama to reveal the names of #17 and #18 to be like... Scott and Jessica or something. :D
After Mr.Satan being named Mark it wouldn't surprise me at all :lol:
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]