Did you guys know this? (Androids 17 and 18)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZFanGirl1

Did you guys know this? (Androids 17 and 18)

Post by DBZFanGirl1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:16 am

That, Android 18 and 17 were once humans, they were runaways and got kidnapped by Dr. Gero and got turned into cyborgs. I thought he just made them from scratch, wow do i feel dumb >< :shock:
I don't call it a waste of time, I call it an experience

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:19 am

Okay, first of all, http://i31.tinypic.com/vpdfh5.jpg , Please use it.

Second, yeah. I'm sure it's explained in the series.

DBZFanGirl1

about this

Post by DBZFanGirl1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:22 am

Yeah, I didnt here them say it exactly like that in the series. I didnt know they were runaways either, so yeah.
I don't call it a waste of time, I call it an experience

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:23 am

Hi, Paresu! Wow. Your avatar is freaking huge!
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Did you guys know this? (its about android 17 and 18)

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 am

DBZFanGirl1 wrote:That, Android 18 and 17 were once humans, they were runaways and got kidnapped by Dr. Gero and got turned into cyborgs. I thought he just made them from scratch, wow do i feel dumb >< :shock:
...I take it you've never watched the Artificial Human arc and onward in Japanese?...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:12 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
DBZFanGirl1 wrote:That, Android 18 and 17 were once humans, they were runaways and got kidnapped by Dr. Gero and got turned into cyborgs. I thought he just made them from scratch, wow do i feel dumb >< :shock:
...I take it you've never watched the Artificial Human arc and onward in Japanese?...
Relax, dude. Don't scare her off like this. She's new here. She's my good friend. I'm was the one to reccomend her to join the Daizex forum so please warmly welcome her.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:36 am

That's what happens when we just casually refer to them as Androids instead of Artificial Humans. It implies that they're all completely machine. There are plenty of Artificial Humans who actually are androids, though.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:46 am

I always talk about them as androids, despite always (as far as I can remember) knowing they were augmented humans. I'm just used to the names Android #17 and Android #18. I always use either #17 and #18 or "the androids".

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 am

Depending on which # I was talking about, I would either say "Android" or "Cyborg."
(they/she)

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:51 am

I use androids for all of them. Force of habit.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:51 am

Yeah, this is mentioned about the Jinzoningens during the series by (I think) Juuhachigo (#18 ).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:52 am

Hello, DBZFanGirl1! Welcome to the forums! :D

It's been a LONG time since I've seen the dub of those episodes, but I don't think they ONCE mentioned them being humans or runaways. Which is really annoying. Everyone I talk to thinks they're androids and say things like "How can 18 have a kid? She's an ANDROID!". It's so frustrating trying to explain to them how she can have children when they refuse to believe me when I tell them she's a cyborg. This is exactly why they need to re-dub the series.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:56 am

Thanos wrote:Yeah, this is mentioned about the Jinzoningens during the series by (I think) Juuhachigo (#18 ).
Krillin says something to Goku about it at one point, too, because Goku's confused as to how robots can have babies. Apparently he didn't know she was a cyborg, either. :D
(they/she)

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:13 am

Kendamu wrote:That's what happens when we just casually refer to them as Androids instead of Artificial Humans. It implies that they're all completely machine. There are plenty of Artificial Humans who actually are androids, though.
"Artificial human" isn't any better though, because it implies that they're, well, artificial, which implies that they were made from scratch rather than simply modified. Even in Japanese, jinzou-ningen is an unusual word to use to refer to them; it should really be kaizou-ningen/"restructured human".

While it is said in the series that No.17 and No.18 were originally humans, the backstory about them being delinquents who had the misfortune of running into Gero when he needed fresh material is only mentioned by Toriyama in Daizenshuu 7.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:47 am

Does anyone know their Human names before the conversion?
Founder of The Dragonball: Evolution Archive.
You must have faith in who you are.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:58 am

They've never been revealed.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:30 am

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Relax, dude. Don't scare her off like this. She's new here. She's my good friend. I'm was the one to reccomend her to join the Daizex forum so please warmly welcome her.
I understand your concern, but I was just curious is all! :wink:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:07 am

Herms wrote:
Kendamu wrote:That's what happens when we just casually refer to them as Androids instead of Artificial Humans. It implies that they're all completely machine. There are plenty of Artificial Humans who actually are androids, though.
"Artificial human" isn't any better though, because it implies that they're, well, artificial, which implies that they were made from scratch rather than simply modified. Even in Japanese, jinzou-ningen is an unusual word to use to refer to them; it should really be kaizou-ningen/"restructured human".

While it is said in the series that No.17 and No.18 were originally humans, the backstory about them being delinquents who had the misfortune of running into Gero when he needed fresh material is only mentioned by Toriyama in Daizenshuu 7.
Just goes to show how much more I need to study Japanese. I always interpreted Jinzouningen as kind of a vague term that the Japanese language and culture is known for.
(they/she)

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am

"You're not 17!! We hated Gero for turning us into cyborgs!!"
Chapter #170 of Viz's Dragonball Z Novel

Turning being the key word.

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm waiting for Toriyama to reveal the names of #17 and #18 to be like... Scott and Jessica or something. :D