Strength Checker

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Re: Strength Checker

Post by Nazi Cola » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:23 am

I have a question about this particular quote on Vegeta's power against the Ginyu squad.
Chapter: 275 (DBZ 81), P4.2
Context: Vegeta powers up to fight Reacoom.
Jheese: "Hey, hey, Vegeta's battle power has risen up close to 20,000!" [original line]
Jheese: "Hey, hey, Vegeta's battle power has risen up close to 30,000!" [Kanzenban line]
Butta: "Oh... oh... oh...?!"
So it's not literally 30,000 in the manga, is it? It's just "close"? I know the Daizenshuu gives him 30,000 exactly, but it tends to round up/down for numbers I've noticed (like Goku's "over 8,000").
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Yeah, Jheese says 30000近くまで上昇した/30,000 chikakumade jo-sho-shita, chikaku meaning "close" or "near." "Almost 30,000" is how I'd translate it.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

jackjack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jackjack » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Herms wrote:Chapter: 510 (DBZ 316), P12.4-6
Vegeta: “…Heh…You never intended to switch out, even from the beginning. Don’t spout such transparent lies…You knew…That I’d be killed at once.”
Goku: “Huh!? N-no, that’s not it…”
Vegeta: “Hmph…Don’t try sparing my feelings…The truth is you were right [that I’d be killed]. That Boo is stronger than I imagined…And so are you, Kakarot…
Does Vegeta literally say "Kararot...You too..." or something, Herms?

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:12 pm

Nazi Cola wrote:I have a question about this particular quote on Vegeta's power against the Ginyu squad.
Jheese: "Hey, hey, Vegeta's battle power has risen up close to 20,000!" [original line]
Jheese: "Hey, hey, Vegeta's battle power has risen up close to 30,000!" [Kanzenban line]
So it's not literally 30,000 in the manga, is it? It's just "close"? I know the Daizenshuu gives him 30,000 exactly, but it tends to round up/down for numbers I've noticed (like Goku's "over 8,000").
Yeah, if the guide showed "8,123" or "29,987" it would only cause confusion.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Fox666 wrote:
Nazi Cola wrote:I have a question about this particular quote on Vegeta's power against the Ginyu squad.
Yeah, if the guide showed "8,123" or "29,987" it would only cause confusion.
It wouldn't cause confusion, it would just be ridiculously persnickety.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

p123
Advanced Regular

Post by p123 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:27 pm

Yea I'm ok with general rounding for the guidebooks, why not?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:04 am

Could I ask for the Japanese translations of everything that's said about Gohan's power in Movie 3, Slug's power in Movie 4 and Coola's power in Movies 5 and 6?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:01 pm

If you're doing movies, are you also going to do GT translations?
CatouttaHell wrote:I guess he's just impossibly powerful and he now gets thrills from letting things go as much to hell as possible before busting out his ultimate power and ending the villain or some shit.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:31 pm

Steve Simmons's translations are already accurate enough, so Herms doesn't really need to do his own translations. I was actually working on collecting the GT statements, but I stopped at episode 20.

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Steve Simmons's translations are already accurate enough, so Herms doesn't really need to do his own translations. I was actually working on collecting the GT statements, but I stopped at episode 20.
That'd be awesome if you posted what you already had, or continued. :shock:

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:54 pm

I'll have to finish it whenever I decide to do a rewatch... Then, I'll post it all when I get access to a computer. It'd take me six-billion years to write it all out using my phone. :x

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Steve Simmons's translations are already accurate enough
How accurate? 9/10?

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Well, that's the grade Herms gives his translation. I guess the idea is that there's no such thing as a "perfect" 10/10 translation, so Steve's are good enough. I've certainly never found any big errors. If you listen to Steve's interview on podcast episode 52, he says he always tries to get every bit of information in the Japanese script into his translation, even if he has to rephrase it a bit. (That's how Herms and I like to do it, too.) Viz does a little too much paraphrasing and rewriting for my liking.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I'll have to finish it whenever I decide to do a rewatch... Then, I'll post it all when I get access to a computer. It'd take me six-billion years to write it all out using my phone. :x
It would be a lot simpler to just rip the subtitles of the DVDs. If you don`t know how, I`m sure there are a lot of tutorials out there on the web teaching exactly what you need to do. It would save you a lot of time and it would be way more efficient than writing it all by "hand".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:32 pm

rereboy wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:I'll have to finish it whenever I decide to do a rewatch... Then, I'll post it all when I get access to a computer. It'd take me six-billion years to write it all out using my phone. :x
It would be a lot simpler to just rip the subtitles of the DVDs. If you don`t know how, I`m sure there are a lot of tutorials out there on the web teaching exactly what you need to do. It would save you a lot of time and it would be way more efficient than writing it all by "hand".
Is it really possible to rip subtitles into a text-based form? :shock:
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:57 am

Chapter: 336 (DBZ 142), P11.3-5
Brief: “Huh!? You…you say you want me to make you a 300-times gravity room!?”
Vegeta: “That’s right. It seems that Kakarotto trained in 100-times gravity…I’m at least 3 times as much as him…”
Brief: “Th…that’s crazy…Ve…Vegeta-kun, if you weigh 60 kilos…then you’ll become eigh…18 tons….”
Vegeta's wording seems a bit weird. "3 times as much as him..."? Three times as strong, heavy, what? Or is it supposed to be "I want at least 3 times as much as him..."? With Briefs' comment, it seems like Vegeta's talking about his weight, but it just sounds so weird.

Also, a possible typo.
Chapter: 340 (DBZ 146), P7.5
Tenshinhan: “Wh-what’s going on? Son’s out of breath…He merely fly here, so why…?”
Supposed to be "flew"? And in the quote before and after this, they're missing the colon as well.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:22 am

Nazi Cola wrote:
Chapter: 336 (DBZ 142), P11.3-5
Brief: “Huh!? You…you say you want me to make you a 300-times gravity room!?”
Vegeta: “That’s right. It seems that Kakarotto trained in 100-times gravity…I’m at least 3 times as much as him…”
Brief: “Th…that’s crazy…Ve…Vegeta-kun, if you weigh 60 kilos…then you’ll become eigh…18 tons….”
Vegeta's wording seems a bit weird. "3 times as much as him..."? Three times as strong, heavy, what? Or is it supposed to be "I want at least 3 times as much as him..."? With Briefs' comment, it seems like Vegeta's talking about his weight, but it just sounds so weird.
Vegeta weighs a little less than Goku according to the official data, but they're close enough. I'm sure he's saying that he can go three times further than Goku did, because he's better than him and everything. In fact, Vegeta's probably 10 or even 20 times more powerful than Goku was when he finished in 100g by this point, but it doesn't seem like their raw lifting power increases linearly with their battle power.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

Nazi Cola
Advanced Regular

Post by Nazi Cola » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:02 am

Yeah, I figured as much, which is why I asked if Herms possibly made a mistake there or something. Just want to be sure.

Another typo.
8. Potara [#BO3#POT]
Chapter: 501 (DBZ 307), P6.2-6
Elder Kaioshin: “Here! Put this Potara on your left ear! [ ] Put the other one on Gohan’s ear. Just by doing that, you two will be able to merge together! Like with Fusion.”
Goku: “Huh! Re-really!?”
Elder Kaioshin: “Of course. And what’s more, the effect is greater than with Fusion! This has bee the trump card treasure of the Kaioshins since long ago.”

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:59 am

JulieYBM wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Is it really possible to rip subtitles into a text-based form? :shock:
Yes. Even if you don`t rip them immediately into a practical text-based form, its simple to convert the ripped subtitles into another format like a practical text-based format.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 am

I don't have a computer. :(