The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Re: The All-Purpose "Translation Request" Thread

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:56 pm

Herms wrote:
johnboy1 wrote:Well, might as well jump feet-first into insanity: How about their pages for DBGT?
Well, they've got five pages for GT (dragon ball hunt, Baby, Super 17, Evil Dragons, Goku Jr. side-story). Shit, most of them are huge too; the dragon ball hunt alone is 15 pages long if printed! Maybe I spoke too hastily...about how much is this worth to you?
That's just it: I have no idea. I'm just going to trust your word: What's a fair price for a job like that?

And, just for shits and giggles, how much would it be to overcome your misgivings and just translate the whole site?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:46 pm

johnboy1 wrote:That's just it: I have no idea. I'm just going to trust your word: What's a fair price for a job like that?

And, just for shits and giggles, how much would it be to overcome your misgivings and just translate the whole site?
All their GT stuff comes to about 56 pages in Print Preview, so even at just $2 a page, that's still over $100. I couldn't see myself bothering with the whole website for less than $500. And even if you'd be willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for this, I really wouldn't feel like taking that much money from you. I guess it's a bit of a Catch-22. Hey, maybe you could start a Kickstarter? I could just summarize the site too, I suppose.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:52 pm

Herms wrote:Hey, maybe you could start a Kickstarter?
Wow, that would be the most pathetic Kickstarter ever. "Hey guys, help this lonely nerd pay for a translation of a Japanese fansite!" :P

Thanks for the quotes. I perfectly understand your misgivings. I'll just try and piece things together myself based on the Google translation and my J/E dictionary. I just found it equal parts fascinating and frustrating that someone took a real systematic approach to the issue and I'm incapable of understanding what they did.

Peace out! :)
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Evelara

Post by Evelara » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:31 pm

I wonder what Toriyama had his say on this. I think the question ask about what he thinks happened to goku at the end of GT.
And did he say something about although Goku was gone with Shenron, Toriyama himself imagined Goku would appear randomly every so often in front of Chichi or something? Can anybody confirm this?

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:35 am

Evelara wrote:http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/ ... stion2.jpg

I wonder what Toriyama had his say on this. I think the question ask about what he thinks happened to goku at the end of GT.
And did he say something about although Goku was gone with Shenron, Toriyama himself imagined Goku would appear randomly every so often in front of Chichi or something? Can anybody confirm this?
First of all, it's not Toriyama who wrote this; it would have been someone who was involved with the writing of the story for that part of GT (Aya Matsui? Don't have the Dragon Boxes myself to check). Toriyama helped out at the beginning with the premise and the character designs, but he had nothing to do with the writing of the series proper. He would have been just another viewer left to puzzle out Goku's ultimate fate for himself.

That said, whoever wrote this says that he/she imagines Goku would probably appear every so often to Chi-Chi.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:45 pm

As I looked through the Strength Checker (as you can probably tell, this is my favorite topic) to read more power-related stuff, I came across this:
No.16: “Run, No.17! This enemy’s battle power is far too large!”

No.16: “Wait…We’ll move once they’ve started fighting. It’s odd, though…Vegeta’s fighting power has gone up quite a lot since before…”

Vegeta: “Oh, your battle power really flew up there…But so what?”
Whenever I'd think of the term "Battle Power", I'd often think of Vegeta and pretty much everyone in Freeza's army. We know the earthlings usually mention someone's Ki/Chi or power. Vegeta continued to say Battle Power, so there's nothing odd about that. I thought it was pretty interesting that #16 said it, though. Was #16's use of Battle/Fighting Power similar to the "sentou-ryoku" phrase Vegeta and Freeza's men use to mention power in Japanese? Or is it different?
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:As I looked through the Strength Checker (as you can probably tell, this is my favorite topic) to read more power-related stuff, I came across this:

No.16: “Wait…We’ll move once they’ve started fighting. It’s odd, though…Vegeta’s fighting power has gone up quite a lot since before…”

Whenever I'd think of the term "Battle Power", I'd often think of Vegeta and pretty much everyone in Freeza's army. We know the earthlings usually mention someone's Ki/Chi or power. Vegeta continued to say Battle Power, so there's nothing odd about that. I thought it was pretty interesting that #16 said it, though. Was #16's use of Battle/Fighting Power similar to the "sentou-ryoku" phrase Vegeta and Freeza's men use to mention power in Japanese? Or is it different?
#16 says sento-ryoku in the anime at least in the first example(don't know about the other yet), so it does seem that he uses the term though Dr. Gero and #19 used another term(was it energy?).

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:34 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:As I looked through the Strength Checker (as you can probably tell, this is my favorite topic) to read more power-related stuff, I came across this:

The first instance, when warning No.17 about Cell, is 戦闘力/sentou-ryoku, the same phrase as Freeza and co.

The second, when talking about Vegeta with No.18, is 戦闘パワー/sentou-pawaa. It still translates to "battle/combat/fighting power", but it uses the actual English word "power" (パワー/pawaa) rather than the Japanese word 力/ryoku. For some real trivia, in chapter 373 Cell talks about his "power" (パワー/pawaa) again) rising after he absorbed No.17, while Viz's translation changes this a tiny bit so that he says "power level", which of course is how they typically translate 戦闘力/sentou-ryoku.

The third instance, with Vegeta talking to Cell, is 戦闘力/sentou-ryoku again. Like you said, Vegeta keeps on using the phrase even long after leaving Freeza's army. In the manga none of the other Z Fighters use the phrase, so the way Vegeta sticks to it is a little thing that sets his speech apart, like him insisting on always calling Goku "Kakarot", but obviously not quite as important. In chapter 461 he even talks about Majin Boo having a disappointingly low 戦闘力数/sentou-ryoku suu, "battle power number". So not only is he still using the phrase "battle power" like in his old scouter-wearing days, he's apparently still thinking of ki size in terms of numbers (does he make his own battle power charts at home?!)

So Vegeta's the only Z Fighter who uses the phrase 戦闘力/sentou-ryoku in the manga, but in BoG Kuririn uncharacteristically uses the phrase too. During the Super Saiyan God ritual scene, once Goku successfully becomes Super Saiyan God, Kuririn says he can't even tell how high Goku's battle power is. Maybe it's a coincidence, but of course in the main series the phrase is used by all the scouter-wearing characters who can't sense ki on their own, and in BoG Kuririn starts using the phrase when he suddenly becomes unable to sense Goku's ki.
dbgtFO wrote:#16 says sento-ryoku in the anime at least in the first example(don't know about the other yet), so it does seem that he uses the term though Dr. Gero and #19 used another term(was it energy?).
Yeah, the androids typically say エネルギー/energii (from the German word "energie" rather than the English word, which is why it's got that hard "g" sound). Babidi and co. use it too, but confusingly enough Kaioshin and Kibito say エナジー/enajii (also meaning "energy", but derived from the English word this time).

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Interesting about the line being present in the anime. Thanks for that, dbgt.

That's a helpful breakdown. In the movies, I recall Gohan referring to Slug and Bojack as having an "Incredible Battle Power" upon seeing them, but those are the only instances I can think of. Interesting stuff. Thanks for the help as always, Herms.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Evelara

Post by Evelara » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:04 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
Evelara wrote:http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/ ... stion2.jpg

First of all, it's not Toriyama who wrote this; it would have been someone who was involved with the writing of the story for that part of GT (Aya Matsui? Don't have the Dragon Boxes myself to check). Toriyama helped out at the beginning with the premise and the character designs, but he had nothing to do with the writing of the series proper. He would have been just another viewer left to puzzle out Goku's ultimate fate for himself.

That said, whoever wrote this says that he/she imagines Goku would probably appear every so often to Chi-Chi.
I see, thanks saiyajedi. So it seems we can't say the answer holds any weight since we don't know who the person is, isn't it? Although its interesting to see the possibility presented here of goku actually being able to visit mortal life and does it occasionally for his family. It's nice really, as opposed to him abandoning them for decades :shifty:

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:40 pm

Is there any identified source for the image? It definitely looks like a real image of some legitimate source, as opposed to some fan-made fake. It's just irksome because there's no indication in the image of who is being asked this question. As Julian said, if it's an answer from Aya Matsui, it would arguably carry more weight than anything from even Toriyama himself, since Toriyama wasn't involved in writing any of GT.

Evelara

Post by Evelara » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:24 am

Herms wrote:Is there any identified source for the image? It definitely looks like a real image of some legitimate source, as opposed to some fan-made fake. It's just irksome because there's no indication in the image of who is being asked this question. As Julian said, if it's an answer from Aya Matsui, it would arguably carry more weight than anything from even Toriyama himself, since Toriyama wasn't involved in writing any of GT.
The picture? I got it from the dragon ball gt box thread :D

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... jpg#p39455

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:14 am

Herms wrote:Is there any identified source for the image? It definitely looks like a real image of some legitimate source, as opposed to some fan-made fake. It's just irksome because there's no indication in the image of who is being asked this question. As Julian said, if it's an answer from Aya Matsui, it would arguably carry more weight than anything from even Toriyama himself, since Toriyama wasn't involved in writing any of GT.
It's from the Q&A session with Atsushi Maekawa at the end of the GT Dragonbook.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:22 pm

When it's explained that Goku was sent to Earth as a baby, is the term for "baby" meant to be taken literally or is there wiggle room for it to be considered a young child (ie: toddler ages)?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Adamant wrote:It's from the Q&A session with Atsushi Maekawa at the end of the GT Dragonbook.
Ah, thank you.
Dayspring wrote:When it's explained that Goku was sent to Earth as a baby, is the term for "baby" meant to be taken literally or is there wiggle room for it to be considered a young child (ie: toddler ages)?
The word used is 赤ん坊/akanbou, "baby/infant". I vaguely recall an instance where Grandpa Gohan is described as finding Goku as a "child", but can't seem to find it now.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:34 am

Dayspring wrote:When it's explained that Goku was sent to Earth as a baby, is the term for "baby" meant to be taken literally or is there wiggle room for it to be considered a young child (ie: toddler ages)?
I don't know how it is in the Japanese language. Or for other people in other English speaking countries. But here in the UK. 3 year old children are often called babies, still. It may be a cultural thing though.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Remember that fansite I was asking about earlier? Apparently the fan running it has an announcement related to his site and Resurrection 'F', but the Google translation is a tad mangled. Here's the original:
おしらせ

復活の「F」設定に合わせ、魔人ブウ編以降の戦闘力数値を全面的に見直し予定。
 お見せしましょう…<超公式>の更なる進化を!?

…といってもすぐに全部は無理なので、映画公開から4ヶ月ほどかけてじっくり検討していく予定。
 これを機にサイト全体の文章も、なるべくソフトな表現に改めたいと考え中。
 今まで否定的だった方向の考察も受け入れて検証してみたい。
 改訂作業終了まで、ちぐはぐな点、お見苦しい箇所もあるかと存じますが、どうぞご勘弁を。
I don't need a professional-level translation. Just a summary would be nice.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:05 pm

He's updating his battle powers for the Boo arc and onward in light of RoF. It should take about four months overall, starting from the movie's premiere.

I don't think he changed anything for BoG, so this is kind of interesting.

thefalseprophecy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by thefalseprophecy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:50 pm

It'll be interesting to see what numbers they assign to Golden Freeza and the Super Saiyan God Super Saiyans.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:36 am

Herms wrote:He's updating his battle powers for the Boo arc and onward in light of RoF. It should take about four months overall, starting from the movie's premiere.

I don't think he changed anything for BoG, so this is kind of interesting.
Huh. So by "Boo arc and beyond", I guess he's including BoG and GT as well? He also has yet to do a list for the Jaco manga, but that's damn-near the only thing he hasn't done. I'd never fault the guy for lack of thoroughness.